"Tanking"

Whispering_Jack

But it looks good for the AFL - look how tough we are!

Maybe but it's robbing Peter to pay Paul.

As I said before it doesn't make sense but then again longsuffering none of this makes sense.

Edited by DemonOX

You can't fine someone unless you've made a guilty finding against them for something..defies all logic. Then again so does this whole investigation.

For mine I hope the club continues to defend itself in the strongest possible way, including going to court if need be. We didn't break any rules and I'd love to see what findings they come up with to prove otherwise. Even in their own judicial system where not only does the club have to prove innocence (as opposed to being proven guilty) but where they can act as judge, jury and executioner.

Agree totally, but you are dealing with afl rules, not Aussie rules. The latter system is underpinned by assumption of natural justice. Ie justice delayed is justice denied, don't harass witnesses and treat all as equal before the law.

And there u have it demonlanders we have hit the 100 page mark.

Congrats all round.

Hopefully it won't last another 100 pages but then again if it goes to court u never know!

Edited by DemonOX

I find it interesting in this article she actually concedes for what I believe is the first time that "other teams did tank" but then goes on in her typical cavalier subjective unsubstantiated and pathetically biased fashion that those teams didn't do so "as blatantly or as systematically as Melbourne". What crap. Systematic. We were'nt systematic. It was all made up as we went along, I mean we nearly beat Richmond.

And blatant. No one was more blatant than Carlton in the Kreuzer Cup.

I never used to read her articles much and will quickly go back to that status but in her writings about our club I am left angry as a lot are but more so saddended that one of our cities newspapers has fallen to such depths that she is "chief writer" of anything. How is it so? What is wrong with us that has allowed her to rise to such a position?

Anyway, I vote we spend every last penny fighting the bastards.

So by her rationale the other teams get off because they were more covert?

If we both killed someone and you used a machete to the head but I used a sniper from 100 metres only you are penalized because your act was more blatant? Please!

I hope this fine business is bullshite, I don't know how much more of this crap I can bear, it is really sapping my spirit!

• Like 1

All I can say is if No-cred Wilson knows the penalties before the club or the commission, then it is time the clubs took up the option to dismiss the commission and start again.

• Like 1

I just flicked over to the Age and it seems Caro is resigned to the fact that Schwab ,CC ,Bailey and The Mighty Demons are not guilty .

Terribly inconvenient for her that people had to resort to legal measures to preserve their integrity and livelihoods.

500k fine mooted but I doubt this.

Sorry Kero .You lose.

And all us loonies that said we wouldn't be penalised were right .

and Cam Schwab rides on into the sunset while she sticks pins into her red and blue voodoo doll.

Other clubs did tank, although it is important to note they did so less blatantly and systematically than Melbourne.

This quote from Wilson demonstrates not only the perversity of her logic but also the problem McLaughlin and the AFL are facing right now.

If other clubs "tanked" why were they not investigated for the same offence?

Was Terry Wallace not even more blatant than Melbourne when he admitted in an article that he as a coach did nothing to beat St. Kilda in a game in late 2007?

How much of the "truth" would have been uncovered if Carlton, Richmond, Collingwood and West Coast were also looked at in a broader investigation of tanking lasting 6 or 7 months?

The so-called stain will be on the AFL and should give rise to cries of corruption and possibly a government enquiry into the running of the game. After all, it's a billion dollar industry with a large betting component and multiple problems facing it at the moment.

The AFL is in trouble if only one club among many is targeted over an issue that has involved perhaps half of its constituent clubs.

• Like 2

Interesting tweet from Francis Leach:

"the @AFL leaks it’s “tanking” penalties at 7pm on the night of it’s opening pre season matches. #takingoutthetrash . Cynical, sad, pathetic."

If that's true and the AFL have leaked the actual results both GM and AD should resign or be forced to. What a bloody circus.

• Like 4

I find it interesting in this article she actually concedes for what I believe is the first time that "other teams did tank" but then goes on in her typical cavalier subjective unsubstantiated and pathetically biased fashion that those teams didn't do so "as blatantly or as systematically as Melbourne". What crap. Systematic. We were'nt systematic. It was all made up as we went along, I mean we nearly beat Richmond.

And blatant. No one was more blatant than Carlton in the Kreuzer Cup.

I never used to read her articles much and will quickly go back to that status but in her writings about our club I am left angry as a lot are but more so saddended that one of our cities newspapers has fallen to such depths that she is "chief writer" of anything. How is it so? What is wrong with us that has allowed her to rise to such a position?

Anyway, I vote we spend every last penny fighting the bastards.

Totally agree - On the hand she accuses of being blatantly systematic then disgustingly pathetic that she we didn't do it 'properly' or go far enough.

Operating like a mafia organization with codes of silence, tough loyalties, ruthless penalties and strict discipline appears to be what she likes - or is that just for the bedroom ?

I prefer an open footy club without the pretenses.

Interesting tweet from Francis Leach:

"the @AFL leaks it’s “tanking” penalties at 7pm on the night of it’s opening pre season matches. #takingoutthetrash . Cynical, sad, pathetic."

If that turns out to be true, IMO its a fall at the first hurdle for young Gillon. Simply more of AA. No uplifting change to the modus operandi at headquarters. Would be a shame and opportunity lost.

It's just amusing that Caro's piece on Friday turns into a 'report' on Saturday (and, surprisingly, on the AFL website). She endows her own opinion with a degree of official authority.

But what's the real, official report? We still don't know.

• Like 5

How many ways can one person be so wrong on the same thing? Caro has set some sort of record.

Remember, originally she said Scwhab and Connolly were "finished" at the club. Bailey was going to be banned. There were no ifs, buts or maybes. These things WERE GOING TO HAPPEN.

Bit by bit she has backed off until we have this outcome which is so far from what she declared was certain that there should be a lesson for her.

She is wrong, wrong, wrong and in any other field of journalism would be castigated by her bosses, but it seems no-one cares at The Age any more.

She has besmirched the rep of what once was a very fine paper. She should be gutted this morning, but she'll be telling herself 'I was right at the time'.

If she is right just this one time, it'll be a first. What a [censored]!

• Like 4

There are however, a couple of interesting comments - she talks about the episode dividing the club. Possibly this is where her malcontent sources lie.

Secondly she says it damaged the culture of the club...well, yes, everyone agrees with that, but only I think because we failed to recover on field and pursued a policy with an over-reliance on youth and had poor leadership. Bailey's decision to axe Junior is a reflection of his excessive commitment to "getting games into young players".

The same actions as at Melbourne did not hurt Collingwood, West Coast or Carlton in any lasting way. We'll recover too.

• Like 1

I don't know if it's because Caro is stupid or vindictive, but she continues to trot out the same tired arguments. One of these is that McLardy didn't address her issues. Perhaps this is because in nine articles lambasting Melbourne, she never once demonstrated that Melbourne actually violated AFL rules, and therefore anything she had to say was inconsequential.

• Like 2