• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Dean Bailey speaks out about tanking

Demonsterative

???

sometimes you can be so naive wyl

so some assassins from the media ask you a loaded question and you have to tell the truth, FFS

he didn't have to lie but he didn't need to throw petrol on the fire

as i said it wasn't smart for his future quite apart from the club

i do agree the club could have handled the departure much better

Excuse me..Yes it was a loaded question we all knew the answer to.

If he had not answered it, it would have been far worse.

He was diplomatic and considering he was sitting alone still representing the club. We the MFC were F$&@ing lucky he didn't let go...

• Like 1

Excuse me..Yes it was a loaded question we all knew the answer to.

If he had not answered it, it would have been far worse.

He was diplomatic and considering he was sitting alone still representing the club. We the MFC were F$&@ing lucky he didn't let go...

Yeah he could have said "of course we tanked and I made sure we lost, now has anyone here got any ideas where I should look for my next job, which obviously won't be in football?"

• Like 1

Some people here should give it a break. Whatever one might think about his coaching, Dean Bailey gave his all for the club and put its interests over and above his own. He has a lot more class than some of the whiners who would attack him.

The inquisition has been an insult to the club and the people involved because we clearly followed the appropriate guidelines and did exactly what other clubs (none of who have been investigated or interrogated) have done before us. We've been discriminated against in a disgusting way and if anybody's integrity is open to question over this saga then it has to be that of the AFL.

• Like 32

???

sometimes you can be so naive wyl

so some assassins from the media ask you a loaded question and you have to tell the truth, FFS

he didn't have to lie but he didn't need to throw petrol on the fire

as i said it wasn't smart for his future quite apart from the club

i do agree the club could have handled the departure much better

I agree with you on both counts. That comment, something like 'doing the right thing by the club' , raised questions. However, the whole sacking business was also a ballsup and drew uneccessary extra attention to the club and the issue - for no gain.

Some people here should give it a break. Whatever one might think about his coaching, Dean Bailey gave his all for the club and put its interests over and above his own. He has a lot more class than some of the whiners who would attack him.

The inquisition has been an insult to the club and the people involved because we clearly followed the appropriate guidelines and did exactly what other clubs (none of who have been investigated or interrogated) have done before us. We've been discriminated against in a disgusting way and if anybody's integrity is open to question over this saga then it has to be that of the AFL.

bewdiful WJ

Dean Bailey.

One of the only people who would go through all that he did and still say this.

I always liked DB, what's done is done and I really like MN too. Unlike some recent people on DL I'll never compare the two.

Long story short - if I ever see Dean Bailey at a pub I'd buy him a pint... And I'm pretty stingy with my money.

• Like 6

I was alway [censored] off that he sat on his own at that press conference myself, considering all that had gone on.

I thought that was a pretty poor day from the MFC

Dean could have gone to town, but he didn't.

Interesting comment WYL...

Maybe, just maybe, the footy world thought the same, including the AFL coaches association, players association & the AFL itself, may have not liked that.

I think he was circumspect. class.

I can't say the same for a blue tongued bagger. cheap is, as cheap does, class is gold.

I never said bailey didn't have any class and i didn't impugn his character

I just said he made a mistake in his response.

I thought so at the time and I think so now

that's all

that's all

Maybe only because your seeing it thru your own desirous eyes & not his.

He was without hurting us too much, trying to save his coaching career. A veiled explanation to footy people, not expected to go any further, with the sympathetic (seemingly) AFL past stance.

Maybe only because your seeing it thru your own desirous eyes & not his.

He was without hurting us too much, trying to save his coaching career. A veiled explanation to footy people, not expected to go any further, with the sympathetic (seemingly) AFL past stance.

I don't mean to drag this out d-l but you didn't read my previous comments very thoroughly

I said his comment was a mistake because it also potentially hurt HIS reputation/coaching career

nuff said

I don't mean to drag this out d-l but you didn't read my previous comments very thoroughly

I said his comment was a mistake because it also potentially hurt HIS reputation/coaching career

nuff said

I disagreed.

I think he needed to allude to his direction of youth policy.

His career was on the rocks as a coach, because of our policy.

he did coach OK on witnessed occaisions, but the end was the game swung to flooding & contested ball. that is what really undermined him, & our gamestyle, & thus our recruiting for that gamestyle.

It is a far more sensible response than when you tried to justify the sacking of Bailey by phone call. It was a putrid act.

And he has shown himself above alot of the cheap barbs thrown at him.

Sensible words Jack. But as usual it will be missed where its badly needed most.

• Like 1

Amen.

Lets put this in context re the tanking issue.

Bailey as Coach could be charged as he fits within the category of person named in Section 19A of the AFL rules.

It now appears certain he will deny any wrongdoing.

Demetriou has said any person in the category found guilty of tanking will be thrown out of the game forever. Do you see that happening to Bailey?

It would therefore appear to get up on a charge under the rule the AFL must find a Coach or player guilty of throwing games. Based on what we know we can discard that happening to a player.

It therefore seems that if we are to go down so must Bailey.

Bailey through his lawyer stated his innocence and denied any wrongdoing. I don't know what he said to the Inquisitors who Interrogated him, according to his lawyer, rather than interviewed him, but I am happy to assume he has not admitted tanking.

What then is the evidence against him? It was suggested that he changed his game style after being directed to lose. His lawyer said he did the same as all other coaches in charge of a team that can't make the finals. Demetriou has also said this numerous times. If he denies tanking what then is the evidence he did?

If the AFL persist with this disgraceful witch hunt, while not doing the same to other clubs and with 2 in particular who have had coaches and players admit breaches of the rule, I can see this costing the jobs of more senior AFL staff. I can see a long Court action looming where a Judge admonishes the AFL in its handling of the whole affair. As a result senior people in the AFL would have to go. Remember the clubs appoint the Commission and even it can be sacked. This could blow the lid off the game and do untold damage.

As a result I see no charges being laid against the club or any of its officers.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 6

nuff said

I've just about had enough of your independent thought .

It's time you thought inside the square.

I vaguely remember McLean saying something about how he felt sorry for Baily during his time coaching, I wander how he feels now that he's rained this s-storm on him?

• Like 2

Whether he could coach or not...... or whether he list managed/tanked.......or whether his job was on the line....or whether his coaching reputation was in jeopardy...... Dean Bailey has shown that he is a man of honour and should be shown our respect..... He did what had to be done...... The real shame is that MFC didn't have the recruiting team needed to finish the job.....

Edited by tatu

that's all

Merry Christmas Dr Lawrence .

His response was lame .

Girly.Honest etc.

Even if the press are your friends-they are always just animals-to be fed through the bars of cages.

They think they will be dining with Rupert or James Packer next Tuesday,if they say the right thing .

Bailey should be hiring his own lawyers .

He is not our problem anymore .

Merry Christmas Dr Lawrence .

His response was lame .

Girly.Honest etc.

Even if the press are your friends-they are always just animals-to be fed through the bars of cages.

They think they will be dining with Rupert or James Packer next Tuesday,if they say the right thing .

Bailey should be hiring his own lawyers .

He is not our problem anymore .

Harsh Biff. He could yet become our problem.

• Like 1

Harsh Biff. He could yet become our problem.

Just until the concrete sets.

Grounding ex-bombers is merely sport .

Specifically, which whiners are attacking him? The response in this thread has been pro-Bailey, the only things that I can see that might be construed otherwise is Left Field's point that DB's primary interest is himself (whose isn't? I don't do a good job for the company I work for out of the kindness of my heart, I do it because they pay me to do so and they're the stepping stone to my next career move), and daisycutter's view that DB's words were clumsy and not particularly helpful to any of the parties. This is hardly whining or attacking.

It's easy to make a sweeping, generalising, emotive post in a thread that people are passionate about and get 20 likes, but I think if you read the thread a bit more closely without pre-conceived ideas about what people are going to say, you'll see that your "some people" post is directed at nobody at all.

Lets put this in context re the tanking issue.

Bailey as Coach could be charged as he fits within the category of person named in Section 19A of the AFL rules.

It now appears certain he will deny any wrongdoing.

Demetriou has said any person in the category found guilty of tanking will be thrown out of the game forever. Do you see that happening to Bailey?

It would therefore appear to get up on a charge under the rule the AFL must find a Coach or player guilty of throwing games. Based on what we know we can discard that happening to a player.

It therefore seems that if we are to go down so must Bailey.

Bailey through his lawyer stated his innocence and denied any wrongdoing. I don't know what he said to the Inquisitors who Interrogated him, according to his lawyer, rather than interviewed him, but I am happy to assume he has not admitted tanking.

What then is the evidence against him? It was suggested that he changed his game style after being directed to lose. His lawyer said he did the same as all other coaches in charge of a team that can't make the finals. Demetriou has also said this numerous times. If he denies tanking what then is the evidence he did?

If the AFL persist with this disgraceful witch hunt, while not doing the same to other clubs and with 2 in particular who have had coaches and players admit breaches of the rule, I can see this costing the jobs of more senior AFL staff. I can see a long Court action looming where a Judge admonishes the AFL in its handling of the whole affair. As a result senior people in the AFL would have to go. Remember the clubs appoint the Commission and even it can be sacked. This could blow the lid off the game and do untold damage.

As a result I see no charges being laid against the club or any of its officers.

I agree, & IMO if Bailey is keel hauled, IMO the AFL Coaches association will get involved, as has Roos shown with his concerns.

Has this anything to do with AA's finishing... can of worms is right. I don't know who's doing, this all is, dredging all this up, but it's a mess, an injustice, just as the $cullygate was.

We have to all work for a good outcome, or complete justice... one, or the other Vlad.

I think Bailey is a decent guy but there is a lot of revisionism going on here. I agree with WYL that he was hung out to dry in his press conference and I think he should have coached out the year, I mean there were not a lot of games left so let him leave with some dignity. The club handled this poorly in my opinion.

However, he did leave with a little barb in the comment re tanking, he was hurting and that is human. My hindsight view is he would have been better off leaving with a comment as made by his lawyer today saying we weren't in finals contention and in the interests of the club I was looking to develop youth. The comment he did make was ambiguous enough to make Kevin Bartlett see that tanking may actually exist and it brought about the first AFL enquiry. As I say the club handled this poorly and it has come back to bite.

I think his later comments in regard to the list saying we had a large window (bi fold I think his words were) opening and would play finals in 2013 and beyond were either delusional or designed to put pressure on the incumbent, Mark Neeld. This has been compounded by some in the media and on this forum who continually bring up the wins in 2011 v 2012.

As for the idea of him putting the clubs interests over his own, I think he saw them as one in the same thing. It's just that after the Geelong debacle and probably before in the admin eyes this wasn't going to be the case.