Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Trengove stress fracture in foot

bandicoot

Guest Fletch

So I am the only one reaching, thought I might be, seems the Footy Dept was happy with Trengove's season, Mark Neeld said so,

Because it's standard Footy Dept policy to publicly criticize players.

Who's 'hating'? I (and others) are simply critiquing a player. He's not living up to billing.

Sorry mate, but it's the truth...

WYL he is an elite runner and was not slow in his first two years. He aint no speedster but he is not as slow as he looked at times this year.

He has very good game sense and that counts for more than blinding speed.

You will grow to love this kid, he is what we desperatley needed and along with Grimes, Viney, Jonesy, Howe, Chip and hopefully the 2012 draftees will become the hear and soul of this club and the reason why people will nominate us as preferred club of choice in the years to come.

Get on board brother

WYL he is an elite runner and was not slow in his first two years. He aint no speedster but he is not as slow as he looked at times this year.

You will grow to love this kid, he is what we desperatley needed and along with Grimes, Viney, Jonesy, Howe, Chip and hopefully the 2012 draftees will become the hear and soul of this club and the reason why people will nominate us as preferred club of choice in the years to come.

Get on board brother

It's already been said ad nauseum but your comments are as blindly misplaced as the comments have been for every non-champion that has taken the field for us over the last few decades - one hell of a long list with almost no exceptions

Get on board brother

I want to brother. But his pace and kicking ability during 2012 worries me greatly.

It wasn't an abberation it was there all year.

Fingers crossed.

It's already been said ad nauseum but your comments are as blindly misplaced as the comments have been for every non-champion that has taken the field for us over the last few decades - one hell of a long list with almost no exceptions

Are you serious the boys I have mentioned are all hard working, young and not an obvious star among them (can't comment on Toumpas or Viney) but they will be better than the front runners we were under Danniher and the culture he and Bailey allowed to grow, where reputations counted for everything.

Trenners will be a very very good player he has the tools and he has the work ethic and never allows himself to get towelled up. And I will say it again that is what we need to create a strong team. The superstars can come along and provide the icing, but these boys will be the core.

So please don't misquote me talking about champions and blindly mispplacing comments on our players for the last 10 years.

It was an aberration 'WYL' because it wasn't there the previous 2 years.

I know that rjay but a whole season is a long time. It was there from round 1.

I wish it wasn't. I want Jack to shine but i am worried at this stage.

I don't watch training but I do watch matches and Trengove was slow. Too slow for a top line midfielder. He was reactive and sluggish over the first five metres in 2013, hence the proportionate increase in his tackle count and handballs compared to kicks. It's not a myth.

You're reaching trying to find a justification for Murphy not being a top 5 elite AFL mid. I would hesitate to guess most experts would disagree with you. He missed close to a third of the regular 2012 season with an AC injury.

He ran a 2.94 seconds for the 20 metre sprint at state screening before he was drafted, which is good, and was described as thus:

2 - MELBOURNE - Jack Trengove
DOB: 02/09/91, Height: 185cm, Weight: 82kg
Recruited from: Kybybolite/Sturt (SA)
Draft range: 1-2
Meet Jack Trengove
Although he will be taken at two, Trengove's exceptional performances in the SANFL senior finals showed he is equally deserving of the No.1 tag. In the preliminary final against Glenelg, he was best on ground with 29 disposals. Finals prevented Trengove from attending the NAB AFL Draft Camp, but he followed up at the South Australian state screening with an outstanding beep test: level 15.3. Likened to Collingwood great Nathan Buckley, Trengove has excellent speed, endurance and leadership. He can also play midfield, forward or back.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And in his first two years it didn't look like a lack of speed would curtail him. Only a dolt would write him off already. He's yet to play a game as a 21 year old and his first 3 years have been vastly superior to guys like Scotty Thompson, Bartel, Adam Simpson, Lenny Hayes, etc.
  • Like 1

Guest Fletch

He ran a 2.94 seconds for the 20 metre sprint at state screening before he was drafted, which is good, and was described as thus:

2 - MELBOURNE - Jack Trengove
DOB: 02/09/91, Height: 185cm, Weight: 82kg
Recruited from: Kybybolite/Sturt (SA)
Draft range: 1-2
Meet Jack Trengove
Although he will be taken at two, Trengove's exceptional performances in the SANFL senior finals showed he is equally deserving of the No.1 tag. In the preliminary final against Glenelg, he was best on ground with 29 disposals. Finals prevented Trengove from attending the NAB AFL Draft Camp, but he followed up at the South Australian state screening with an outstanding beep test: level 15.3. Likened to Collingwood great Nathan Buckley, Trengove has excellent speed, endurance and leadership. He can also play midfield, forward or back.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And in his first two years it didn't look like a lack of speed would curtail him. Only a dolt would write him off already. He's yet to play a game as a 21 year old and his first 3 years have been vastly superior to guys like Scotty Thompson, Bartel, Adam Simpson, Lenny Hayes, etc.
Didn't you post in another thread that he had - quote - "a pig of a year"?

Have we seen anything from Jack T. to indicate he will reach anything like that level? No.

Have we seen anything to indicate he will not reach anything like that level? No.

Different players, different teams, different coaches and training blah blah blah. For every Murphy doing decently after a season or two, there's a RIch or a Martin who go backwards, and a Goddard or a Swan who are having trouble just holding down a place in the first 22 at that stage of their careers. And if you're looking at Carlton's high draft picks ... where were their other budding mega-stars, Kreuzer and Gibbs this year?

Re Murphy: Trengove did better than him (stats) for the first two seasons - and Jack's third has been no worse than his second, in spite of the extra responsibilities, the difficulties at the club, and a complete change of on-field and off-field direction. Also, Jack missed a hefty slab of last year's pre-season, which can't have helped - and now isn't going to help this year either.

Trengove is clearly still a work in progress, but there aren't too many 21 year olds already captaining their club and finishing solidly in the top 10 of their B&F.

One side-effect of this is that in missing the Darwin camp - which is supposed to be about establishing leaders - it can't have helped his position as a potential captain.

Well, this would explain why the reports on the last training session had him moving poorly. Obviously it was troubling him and he rightly took it to the club medical team who spotted the problem very early. I say well done all round on what could have been a much worse problem. Six weeks is an annoyance, but it's far better than a full season, or indeed a career. Once again I think he has shown himself to be an example to the rest of the team, this time in understanding that there was something wrong and getting it looked at rather than trying to tough it out and making it ten times worse.

Trenners will be a very very good player he has the tools and he has the work ethic and never allows himself to get towelled up. And I will say it again that is what we need to create a strong team. The superstars can come along and provide the icing, but these boys will be the core.

OK so not a champion - but you are saying these superstars will 'come along' just curious, if our no.2 pick and vice-captain is not one of them, who is?

Yes. His 2012 season.

You can't be serious ... one season to write a 21 year old off?

Based on your assessment, the Brownlow next year is going to be dominated by GC players, after all, that's where all the best 21 year olds are, so it stands to reason, that they should all be bona fide stars by then.

Go and have a look at Jobe Watson's first few seasons. Or Swan, Goodes, Goddard ... god knows, there's a heap of genuine stars out there who were all over the shop early on.

Edited by bing181
  • Like 1

Elite endurance and excellent pace when recruited, 3 years later a plodder. Even our development program isn't that bad!

I smell a rat. He was playing under duress and I feel that that duress has contributed to his fractured foot.

How many times did he look like he needed a spell last year, and yet he was continually played in a team where his presence made no difference. Now he misses out on the NT trip and a good chunk of an important preseason. Not too happy about this, clear case of player mismanagement for mine.

Elite endurance and excellent pace when recruited, 3 years later a plodder.

"DEFENDER Tom McDonald and dasher Daniel Nicholson have taken out the three-km time-trial run at Princes Park on Saturday.

The two Demons broke away from the pack to run out joint-winners in front of second-year rookie James Magner.

Elite performance manager Dave Misson said the top five was as he expected.

“Tom McDonald and Dan Nicholson crossed the line together to win it,” he told melbournefc.com.au.

“Then we had Jimmy Magner, who was third, and then Trenners (Jack Trengove) and Rohan Bail came fourth and fifth.

“That top five was what I thought would come across the line. They’re times are great and we’re really happy.”

You were saying?

Guest Fletch

"DEFENDER Tom McDonald and dasher Daniel Nicholson have taken out the three-km time-trial run at Princes Park on Saturday.

The two Demons broke away from the pack to run out joint-winners in front of second-year rookie James Magner.

Elite performance manager Dave Misson said the top five was as he expected.

“Tom McDonald and Dan Nicholson crossed the line together to win it,” he told melbournefc.com.au.

“Then we had Jimmy Magner, who was third, and then Trenners (Jack Trengove) and Rohan Bail came fourth and fifth.

“That top five was what I thought would come across the line. They’re times are great and we’re really happy.”

You were saying?

His endurance is not in question. His speed is.

I was at Brad Green's final game at Etihad last season, and was absolutely appalled by the abuse hurled by 'supporters' as the team led by Brad left the field at the end of the game, I thought perhaps it was just a one off but after reading some of the posts about one of our co-captains, I now realise it is systemic......time for me to give myself one of my self imposed Demonland breaks

The topic was about how one of our co captains had unfortunately picked up a problem with his foot and as per the norm on this board these days, it has been hijacked by the minority to have a go at their pet peeve with the Club

I was actually waiting for BP to rear his head again and get the blame for recruiting him

BH in answer to your question below, no they don't, they only know what the media and so called footy pundits tell them to know

Edited by satyricon

His endurance is not in question. His speed is.

Do you have any idea how good Bartel and Hayes were early in their careers ? Didn't think so.

After two years and 24 games Bartel, a former top 10 pick, averaged 12 possessions per game. Early in his third year he was dropped and played 7 games in the reserves. It happens with young players.

Lenny Hayes after his first 3 years and 50 games averaged 13 disposals per game. It wasn't until his 4th year that he showed the player he'd become.

Trengove has a big year coming up and it's a pity he's had an early setback, but his first couple of years were lightyears ahead of Hayes and Bartel. I'm surprised that so many supporters don't appreciate the quality player they have in their midst.

• Like 5