MegaWatts - Season 5

Curry & Beer

He's still 21yo? Wow. Phew...I know we got spanked up in Sydney by over 100 points against *ahem* the '12 Premiers, but he showed a bit down back that night which gave weight to him playing down back.

I want him to be assigned some tasks with some accountability for his development, but I also want to see us use Jack to his strengths which allows scope for him to be able to read the play, intercept, outmark and be creative with his kicks from the half back line.

I would hope to see a desire to be hard at the contest and become the norm. I want to see a general develop on the field and not be a bit player.

I dont give a toumpas what he was recruited as - I have a long memory and remember Gary Ayres first 4-5 season - they had no idea where to play him and they finally threw him to the back pocket and voila....

Its sort of like saying - i dont care how successful Trent Croad played down back in his time at Freo and last time round at the Hawks - he was recruited as a forward so dammit - thats where he has to succeed. Tarrant the same.

I dont care where he shines as long as he shines.

Edited by nutbean
  • Like 4

For those that say the Essendon game was his only good game for the year, have a look at the Swans game, he is no front runner and has plenty of ticker.

It might be asking too much but IMO... if he plays off the flank/mid field in 2013 5-6 BOG games and the rest played at a consistent high level, I reckon that would be a pretty good year and a sign of his ongoing development.

Stinga, I'm sure you don't intend it, but that's the kind of unreasonable expectation that puts unfair pressure on Watts!

I'll just assume you didn't do the math.

There are 44 players in every game @ 22 games per year. = an average of 0.5 BOG games per player per year and you reckon it would be just "a pretty good year and sign of his ongoing development" (meaning you'd expect better in future) if Jacks performance is 10 to 12 TIMES better than the average AFL player!!

"5-6 BOG ..and the rest high level" is probably a Brownlow!! Hahah No pressure on you Jack, just win the 2013 Brownlow or we'll think you suck! ;-)

Edited by Rob Mac......
  • Like 2

Rob Mac Jack Watts should aim to be best half back in the league and no less. Stinga has it about right.

was there another game against the Tigers, for an early pick the kids been a major flop, i took my Demon goggles off 2yrs ago, i hope the boy comes out and dominates, but i wont hold my breath.

He's 21.

Investments don't flop because of what they return in 4 years of a 12 year run (unless they are dumped ala Morton).

You don't need to hold your breath and you don't need to talk him, or what he has done so far, down - got plenty of people doing that...

He has struggled to be what we envisioned but that doesn't mean he has only played 2 good games in his fledgling and unfleshed out career.

Edited by rpfc

I have to say I am genuinely surprised at the number of posters in this thread who seem to consider Watts to be a 'soft' player. IMO that perception is one fabricated out of nothing by the media (whom we are all aware like to stick the boot into us at every possible opportunity) and opposition supporters (no need to explain that one). I have watched 5 replays of games since the conclusion of this season (obviously I saw them at the time also) and I cannot recall a single instance where I thought to myself 'gee you should have gone harder there Jack'. I have also noticed some real agro around the contests, which nobody ever mentions. With regard to his general play the vast majority of the time he exhibits brains, class and effort, and very rarely does he get beaten or make a bad mistake in a variety of situations. I just watched the mauling of GWS, and though he wasn't prolific, did a number of truly outstanding efforts, including contested marks, winning the contested ball and using it properly, and working his way through traffic. If you distilled his highlight reel down to a few minutes he would look a million bucks. The bloke really does have the full set IMO. Even if the criticism of his hardness is valid, I don't understand why that is placed at such a premium. Recent KPP we have had that would run through a brick wall if asked were Brad Miller and Nathan Carroll. Give me one decent half of Jack Watts football over anything those blokes did their whole careers. As mentioned by others, the kid racked up 34 touches across half-back in a side that got belted, away from home, by the eventual premiers by over 100 points. That is anything but ordinary. Though it is painful to admit, I think that only Clark, Jones, Howe and perhaps Trengove, Blease, Grimes and Sylvia are in his category in terms of raw talent for the game. Between 2003 and 2009 we drafted 6 players from the first 5 picks - it has not worked out well for us so far but i'll be damned if Watts isn't a genuine contender to become the star we all crave so badly. I cannot wait to see him in '13.

Edited by Curry & Beer
  • Like 8

this is jack watts ...

Quarterback (QB, originally called blocking back)[1] is a position in American and Canadian football. Quarterbacks are members of the offensive team and line up directly behind the offensive line. Quarterbacks are the leaders of the offensive team, responsible for calling the play in the huddle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarterback

i didn'tknow there was also a Jack Watts playing in the NFL

Maybe he knows a bit more about Dimitriou's blind obsession to "Americanize" our game than Andrew has let on to date? He may turn out to be the ohfence MVP of the new Southern Conference!

was there another game against the Tigers, for an early pick the kids been a major flop, i took my Demon goggles off 2yrs ago, i hope the boy comes out and dominates, but i wont hold my breath.

Watts won't be a star which is disappointing, but he's not the hack you're making out. In between star and hack is a massive area of grey and Watts is in it. He's still a good player.

http://m.afl.com.au/...TITION&listId=1

I think this shows what watts is capable of! if he can deal this out consistently then he will be a star :) he's only 21 so there is plenty of room for improvement too

Edited by young dee enthusiast

C&B - you must be joking right? You have intimated that he plays like a girl in the past and now you are incredulous that some see him as soft?

He needs to work on his physicality, but the more pertinent task is to instil a hunger for repeated efforts. He picks and chooses when he gives that second or third effor that the most intense players just give automatically.

I think he is going to be a very good player but he needs work and you need to be less incredulous.

http://m.afl.com.au/...TITION&listId=1

I think this shows what watts is capable of! if he can deal this out consistently then he will be a star :) he's only 21 so there is plenty of room for improvement too

In those stat it's the inside 50's where he can make some big improvements this year with forward targets to kick to. If he can start to break the lines and use his kicking skills then he will be a real weapon.

In those stat it's the inside 50's where he can make some big improvements this year with forward targets to kick to. If he can start to break the lines and use his kicking skills then he will be a real weapon.

definitely, watts aswell as everyone else on the team will benefit having multiple targets in the fwd line. As for breaking the lines i think that will come as he plays down back more and will be helped with new recruits in the team. He may be able to push up to the wing at times with his kicking abillity but he is needed down back as he is the best kick out of our backs.

Stinga, I'm sure you don't intend it, but that's the kind of unreasonable expectation that puts unfair pressure on Watts!

I'll just assume you didn't do the math.

There are 44 players in every game @ 22 games per year. = an average of 0.5 BOG games per player per year and you reckon it would be just "a pretty good year and sign of his ongoing development" (meaning you'd expect better in future) if Jacks performance is 10 to 12 TIMES better than the average AFL player!!

"5-6 BOG ..and the rest high level" is probably a Brownlow!! Hahah No pressure on you Jack, just win the 2013 Brownlow or we'll think you suck! ;-)

Rob Mac

Yep I might have got a little overboard with my expectations.

Should have said something like, 3 standout games and playing at a consistent level throughout the year.

Bottom line, would like to see him continue to develop into the player we all hope him to be.

cheers

s81

• Like 2

They're setting him up, body and engine wise, to be able to use his strengths to their fullest and gradually improve his weaknesses. He's not a born, ruthless competitor like a Viney, that's just the way it is, but once he feels like he can impose himself on games the way he did in under 18's, his confidence and competitiveness will follow.

I also love that he and Trenners are best mates these days, Trenners' determination and dedication can only be a positive influence on Wattsy.

• Like 1

dandeeman, I agree Jack should be and probably is aiming to be the best half back in the league and no less. ..but Stringa's expectation is still overboard because how often does even the best half back in the league win the Brownlow?

Just means it is over due Rob Mac

Watts to win the brownlow in 2015 as a CHB.

Breaks a 30 year record!

Edited by old dee
  • Like 1

Watts won't be a star which is disappointing, but he's not the hack you're making out. In between star and hack is a massive area of grey and Watts is in it. He's still a good player.

Watts will be star, of that i'm certain. As i have said before by his mid 20's (another 4 years away!) he will be a regular AA selection and considered to be one of the top 10 players in the league by most pundits and footy fans. Mark my words.

• Like 2