• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Training - Friday, 16th November, 2012

Whispering_Jack

Yes, they're with the main group, as is Gillies and Byrnes. The main knock on Gillies is his kicking, which definitely needs continued work. He's fitting in well and moves with pace.

Jetta looks good. I don't quite see a place in the best 22, but I like his effort. He has a crack and will get games.

Evans looks to be a while off joining the main group, but the club obviously rate him. I saw him play at Frankston late in the year and we'd benefit from his pace and natural spread. He's a bit of a forgotten man, but he offers a fair bit. Needs to tighten his kicking.

Taggert is training well. Rodan spends a fair bit of time specifically with Viney and Taggert. He's taken them under his wing. He was matched up on Viney for some of the stoppage work when Viney was in an orange vest and at the end of some of the drills he spent time counselling Viney on positioning, etc. I was ambivalent about Rodan joining the club, in fact, I was probably against it. Going to training has changed my mind. It's extraordinary to say, but he's already like a glue amongst the playing group. His encouragement never stops. But just as importantly, he's a really good trainer. His kicking is great and he moves so well. I'll be curious to see how his year pans out.

Back to Taggert. His upper body needs a little work, but he'll develop into a very strong mid, as the frame is there. His legs and core are already really big. He moves well and is a good kick.

Thanks for the report! watching gillies in the nab cup on fox now i was bloody surprise how quick he was!

one question. How did big cam pedersen go?

Taggert is training well. Rodan spends a fair bit of time specifically with Viney and Taggert. He's taken them under his wing. He was matched up on Viney for some of the stoppage work when Viney was in an orange vest and at the end of some of the drills he spent time counselling Viney on positioning, etc. I was ambivalent about Rodan joining the club, in fact, I was probably against it. Going to training has changed my mind. It's extraordinary to say, but he's already like a glue amongst the playing group. His encouragement never stops. But just as importantly, he's a really good trainer. His kicking is great and he moves so well. I'll be curious to see how his year pans out.

If he stays on the park he will be great for us.

one question. How did big cam pedersen go?

I didn't notice him much today, but have had a good look on other days.

I was at his first training session and he wasn't as fit as most of our guys and looked to be carrying some pounds. But I've definitely noticed him running better and he even looks trimmer in just a couple of weeks. He's a good kick and a nice size. With the opposition worrying about Dawes, who is apparently going to play FF and Clark pushing up the ground I can really see Pedersen getting off the leash and having the odd 3-4 goal game. He'll fit in perfectly up forward.

Ran past the boys at the tan today , they had just finished doing some grueling hill sprints , wished the boys goodluck for season , seems to be a really upbeat vibe to the group and they are looking fit !!! Dan Nicholson looks particularly fit!! if he can clean up his kicking he has all the tools to be a quality player I reckon

Ran past the boys at the tan today , they had just finished doing some grueling hill sprints , wished the boys goodluck for season , seems to be a really upbeat vibe to the group and they are looking fit !!! Dan Nicholson looks particularly fit!! if he can clean up his kicking he has all the tools to be a quality player I reckon

Yeah Nicholson is a machine. Has added responsibility now that Bartram has retired. If his disposal is better than Bartram's it'll be an upgrade.

I was impressed with his leadership at Wednesdays session.

Great reports BenH & DemonD, much appreciated, things certainly are changing in a methodical (Neeld) way..........toughest team to beat.........f yeah bring it on.......oooppps I can get excited easily

• Like 3

When a fan says he "ran past the boys at the tan" it could be a worry - presumably, or hopefully, in the opposite direction :-)
  • Like 7

sounds like the cleanout has done wonders for training.

No point having negative people at the club...there is enough on demonland! haha...

There is always good motivation from wanting to perform well and reap reward but I also wouldnt underestimate what a no holds barred, take no prisoners, massive clean out can have on attitude - " I need to take my attitude and game to a whole new level or next year it will be me"

• Like 2

Thanks to all posters, this has been a really great training thread and I am enjoying the reports from those who could make it. I am especially loving that the posts are about training and not being diverted.

At training today I heard from Strauss that Hogans nickname is Hoges ala (Paul Hogan)

I didn't notice him much today, but have had a good look on other days.

I was at his first training session and he wasn't as fit as most of our guys and looked to be carrying some pounds. But I've definitely noticed him running better and he even looks trimmer in just a couple of weeks. He's a good kick and a nice size. With the opposition worrying about Dawes, who is apparently going to play FF and Clark pushing up the ground I can really see Pedersen getting off the leash and having the odd 3-4 goal game. He'll fit in perfectly up forward.

I just have a feeling that Pederson was picked up as a backup in case Dawes and/or Clark struggles with injuries. Good call. I hope that they look at Fitzy too. He showed a bit of form late last season with Casey.

Thanks guys for the continued reports for us that can’t make it due to being interstate. I can’t help but get the feeling the tides are turning. A lot of positives coming out of training and the club over the last week and very little negativity.

By all accounts we are fitter, stronger and training harder in the first couple of weeks. Was Aaron Davey training? And if so how did he look in comparison to last year and others?

• Like 1

This has to be the best time of year for Demon fans. We're upbeat because the players look good on the track and many are training the proverbial house down. It's well and good to say that they appear to be training harder and looking better but it's a pity that you can't measure what we're doing as against other clubs.

Just watching our performances deteriorate earlier this year after beating Collingwood in the NAB Cup has made me a little bit of a sceptic as far as the favourable early pre season stuff is concerned.

Is there anyone out there who can convince me otherwise?

• Like 2

Ok Whispering... we're on the rise! Most of the blokes we have added are strong bodies who are aggressive at the ball... A number of the players who have moved on only possessed one of these attributes... a couple didn't have either! I'm reminded of the Northey era... It will take the best part of a season for all the bits to gel but the bits are there. We need luck with injury, but that goes for all. The list has been improved remarkably in the shortest imaginable time frame. We will have some glorious wins against old foes in 2013!

• Like 2

At training today I heard from Strauss that Hogans nickname is Hoges ala (Paul Hogan)

I heard Hulk was another nickname of his, works on a couple of levels given his size. Hoges would be pretty standard you'd think, along the lines of Jonesy, Nicho, Trenners etc.

I just have a feeling that Pederson was picked up as a backup in case Dawes and/or Clark struggles with injuries. Good call. I hope that they look at Fitzy too. He showed a bit of form late last season with Casey.

I don't think he would've come to us if this is the case. He was searching for far greater opportunity than what he was getting at North, so why would he come to us if he was only going to be a back-up which is all he was at north? when he gets his fitness up to AFL level over this pre-season he should be a very good 3rd tall behind dawes and clark, capable of kicking 30+ goals.

• Like 1

Ok Whispering... we're on the rise! Most of the blokes we have added are strong bodies who are aggressive at the ball... A number of the players who have moved on only possessed one of these attributes... a couple didn't have either! I'm reminded of the Northey era... It will take the best part of a season for all the bits to gel but the bits are there. We need luck with injury, but that goes for all. The list has been improved remarkably in the shortest imaginable time frame. We will have some glorious wins against old foes in 2013!

That's right, we went from bottom to top in 1 year, 86-87.

We can do it in 2013. I can feel it.

• Like 1

This has to be the best time of year for Demon fans. We're upbeat because the players look good on the track and many are training the proverbial house down. It's well and good to say that they appear to be training harder and looking better but it's a pity that you can't measure what we're doing as against other clubs.

Just watching our performances deteriorate earlier this year after beating Collingwood in the NAB Cup has made me a little bit of a sceptic as far as the favourable early pre season stuff is concerned.

Is there anyone out there who can convince me otherwise?

Morton to West Coast?

• Like 1

I went to training today. It was the second time I have been this year and I went to about ten pre-season training sessions last year.

I can see improvement on the track from my observations. Whether this translates to victories in games I'm not sure but I think it might. I get the feeling as others have said that Neeld and co. are working to a plan and we are in year two of the roll out of it.

Last year at this stage we had only done fairly basic skill stuff and were heavily into running. There was a smaller main group and lots of modified programs, still mainly to do with improving fitness. From there we went into the season with a basic and, after five weeks, a heavily criticised game plan of kicking long down the line to a contest, a slow laborious and ultimately, losing plan.

This pre-season there are marked differences. Firstly the main group is larger in number, around 27 players today for instance. As a group compared to last year they are fitter, stronger and bigger. Secondly we are already practicing different ways to move the ball, early doors there is much more emphasis on the skills of the game.

As Ben Hur said they were doing stoppage work today and a form of circle work which was all about running, kicking handballing and timing. Jack Watts is great to watch at this uncontested stuff, he is a great kick on both sides of his body and his timing when he attacks the ball is sublime. But yes it is uncontested.

I think the third area we might see improvement is in the personnel. In previous years so many of our players have been unfit injured or of a poor attitude. The step up in professionalism over the two years and the boys' approach to training would be pretty obvious to most who go to watch them train.

Individuals who are a chance to improve next year if training is anything to go by;

Sam Blease. As we all saw showed glimpses last season and in a couple of the stoppage drills today showed his class. I think he may improve again in 2013.

Tappy. He had no pre-season at all last year and in some of the gut running in the two sessions I've been to this pre-season he has kept up with Jones and Nicho and looks terrific. In the stoppage drill today whenever the blue team got the ball and went back from the stoppage they went wide out to Tappy on the wing/ half forward line in a set play that looked good. In the running after he ran with Viney, Spencer, Byrnes, Taggert, Rodan, McKenzie, Jones and Davey in repeat 1000 metre or some set time running thing (pretty brutal) and in the first one he blew them away.

Unfortunately in the second run (they'd have about a minutes rest in between) he pulled up sore in his ankle/calf. Shame as he is flying but hopefully not too big a set back.

Neville Jetta. He had a shocking run with injuries but is in the main group so far and looks good. In the stoppage work he featured a couple of times for the orange vests clearing the ball through traffic. He's tough. I'm not sure he will make it and I've watched him in games after reading positive things about him on here and I'm still not sold but if he is going to make it then at least he's giving himself every chance for 2013.

Rory Taggert. He was in an orange vest and pitted against Magner or Rodan mainly and he did OK. I think he is a watch for 2013. He has nice size and got a couple of clearances for the orange vests that showed talent. Later in the running he completed them all but just ahead of Davey. At this stage I just hope he completes all the pre-season work.

Spencer and Sellar. They did the ruck work and both went OK. I remember last pre-season Spencer couldn't get on the track with a knee injury. This year in the running sessions he is up front and really pushing himself, if he can continue he won't lack for fitness. In the stoppage work he was with the blues and got most of the taps, Rodan especially was at his feet and away a lot of times. He is definitely number 2 ruckman and may even push Jamar for number 1 spot in 2013. Sellar showed he can be a pinch hitter in the ruck if we only go in with one ruckman in games.

Jack Watts. The main thing I reckon has changed for the better for Jack is he appears to have gained a bit more respect from the group from last pre-season. And he's settled. Last pre-season he was going to be a forward. I remember him having a push and shove with Frawley one day and coming off looking rather silly. Also Leigh Brown the forward line coach could just rag doll him in wrestling/marking drills. Mind you Brown could do that to most but it was like they were testing Watts and he wasn't testing too well. This pre-season he appears to be a respected, well performed and settled member of the group and he is training really well, well for two sessions anyway, I hope it continues.

Shannon Byrnes and D-Rod. Both training well. Both professional attitude. Both showed off good skills.

Nathan Jones. I remember last pre-season people on here were questioning his worth in the team and maybe fair enough as well but if one player has thrived under Neelds and Missons structured training regime its him. He is fit and well and massive. He is the natural leader of the group, especially the mid-field and a great role model. I also think the addition of Rodan and maybe Viney will help him to maybe get outside a bit more and hopefully get into the elite category in the league. (well maybe Sheahan's top 50 anyway for a start) Today in the running he started 10 or 15 seconds behind all the other runners and I think they might have done six repeats and in about the fifth run he came up alongside Viney who was leading and then Leigh Brown joined in (he would join in for the last minute, he's big but he's fit and he can really carve out some sectionals and he encourages them along, great to watch) and they ran flat out for the last 30 seconds, Jones got in front but Viney came back and beat him.

Negatives. Grimes is in rehab group with a bandage on one of his hammy's, really hope he gets back soon.

I hate to say it, I'm no doctor and its crazy to put a dampener on a positive training report but I think Clark is a long way off.

Sylvia. Last pre-season he was in modified program and same this pre-season. Status Quo for his attitude. No leader.

Anyway Whispering Jack I really enjoyed reading your thread on Timing of the Shrew so hopefully you enjoy my report. I do think we'll improve in 2013.

• Like 25

Cheers for the report dum dee dum... nice insight into how you rekon specific players will go next year.

It's good to see that we've started ball work and ball movement earlier. It will definetly help us with our structures next year and hopefully timing and general play. Might mean we might even up the uncontested and contested possessions with our oppositions!

I went to training today. It was the second time I have been this year and I went to about ten pre-season training sessions last year.

I can see improvement on the track from my observations.

Terrific report dum dee dum. Thanks very much. Clark's injury is a worry and i'm sure they won't take any risks. Any thoughts on how Fitzy is travelling? I reckon he might end up a pretty key player for us.