What we just did.

Grimseyisgod

i am a beyond fanatic Melbourne fan.

What'd we just do.

Martin for pick 53 and 73.. two useless picks?

Gysberts for Pederson.. not good either. Gysberts has been unreliable but still 21 and a huge talent. surely we could have gotten more for gys.

Morton practically for free (pick 88), im not really disturbed by that, he terrible.

Rodan is a good pickup.

Someone convince me we did well?

• Like 2

I'm torn on this.

On the plus side we got pretty much every player we wanted to the club. The inclusion of Dawes, Byrnes, Rodan and Paedersen will help both on and off the ground. We now have three players on our list who have played in grand finals, and two who have won them. That sort of experience is gold and they are there as much to pass on their knowledge to the kids as for what they can do on the field. In this sense we got exactly what we wanted and needed out of the trade period.

On the negative, we paid a hell of a lot for Dawes and Pedersen, and got absolutely screwed on the trades. I don't understand how the swap of later picks with North Melbourne came out in their favour. How does their mature-aged rookie outweigh our no. 11 pick who lost a season to injury? Giving Cale up for a pick in the 80's is insane, although I suspect this was done because they wanted to de-list him (and couldn't because of his contract). 53 for Martin is an insult (and 73 doesn't count, what are the odds of us using it?) both to him and to us. It the very least if they wouldn't give up 33 it should have been 53 and a decent player. In this sense, we had a terrible trade period.

I honestly don't know which way to look at this. I guess the thing to do is reserve judgement until I see what happens next year and possibly after that, whether the players we let go flourish or flop, and what the inclusions can add at our club.

• Like 1

The problem we have is in 2 parts

1 Older players who should have provided leadership eg Moloney,Rivers,Mclean,Sylvia etc have all failed as they have left the club retired with Sylvia still not leader.

2 Many early picks have failed eg Morton,Gysberts,Cook,Maric,Bate,Dunn a real disaster!

So as Wallace said as a coach we need some hardness & strong leaders & culture to bring into the group as thus far its not happening.

How many of the players who left would get a game at Swans,Geelong,Coll or Haw? maybe rivers who can hold head up high...

Moloney would be a stop gap??

• Like 1

Well martin i think we will miss although with the addtions of Dawes, Pedersen and hogan (2014) he would have really struggled to get games (even though i highly rate him).

gysberts we still really don't know how he will go, but pedersen will add to our team instantly. with clark, dawes and him in this year he will likely get the 3rd best defender so he should kick a cpl of goals per game and then add dawes and clarks goals and we should now have a dominating fwd line so i would say we have won with that even though gysberts will likely become a good player.

Morton very liekly wasn't going to add anything to us at all as he failed to add strength or develop as a player and to get anything for him was probably a plus even though it is a worthless pick but it could be used on a mutura ge guy or just upgrading a rookie.

all in all i call it a win in the F/A, trade period as we have filled many holes and we still have the draft and PSD to go :)

We started out with 3,4,13 and 26. We spent 3 and 13 (effectively the Scully comp) on Hogan and Barry as well as Dawes with the pick 20 (became 21) we had thrown in. So Scully got us Hogan, Barry and Dawes. We still kept 4, which I'm certain will be used on Wines. The biggest steal of the whole trade period was getting Viney in the second round. We traded out some guys who despite their lofty original draft positions were not in our best 22 (Morton, Martin, Gysberts). We added a bit of short term leadership in Byrnes and Rodan which cost us nothing and Pedersen who may or may not be any good, but couldn't be any less effective than most of the blokes wehave let go. I'd say we have done reasonably well, but time will tell. Our biggest loss was Rivers.

• Like 13

What did we just do?

We got rid of those that don't train or play to the standard that will push the club to the standard it is required to be at to win a premiership.

We got rid of those that do not possess the build or hunger for the contest required to win a premiership.

We gained experience of players that do know what is required of a premiership.

We gained mature bodies that can withstand the rigours and contests required of a premiership.

• Like 7

i am a beyond fanatic Melbourne fan.

What'd we just do.

Martin for pick 53 and 73.. two useless picks?

Gysberts for Pederson.. not good either. Gysberts has been unreliable but still 21 and a huge talent. surely we could have gotten more for gys.

Morton practically for free (pick 88), im not really disturbed by that, he terrible.

Rodan is a good pickup.

Someone convince me we did well?

Pick 53 will be used in the draft. Maybe a Paul Marschall, HBF with good skills and pace or a Mason Wood, tall outside goal kicking left foot wingman. While pick 73 will probably be used to upgrade Magner who works his backside off and sets a good example.

Gysberts wouldn't have been in our best 22 next year. And with Viney and probably Wines coming in would fall further down the pecking order. Pedersen will be in our best 22.

Morton was traded for Pick 88 which is the pick we used to get Rodan, so it was Morton for Rodan. I'll take that!

If you take into account that Viney cost us pick 3 as we needed to enter into the mini draft, our trading period looks like this:

Pick3 for Viney

Pick 13 for Hogan

Pick 26 for Dawes

Pick 45 for Barry

Rivers & Moloney for Byrnes & Pick 49

Martin for Pick 53 & rookie upgrade pick

Gysberts & Pick 63 for Pedersen & rookie upgrade pick

Morton for Rodan

When you look at it like that we have a net gain IMO.

• Like 13

It's pointless trying to determine the success or failure of the trades made at this stage.

Next year will tell us all we need to know.

Morton and Gysberts in particular will be interesting to track the progress of.

Both high picks, both still young with time on their side, and going to clubs capable of developing their youth.

• Like 2

I think we did pretty well, but was a bit disapointed to lose gysberts. Overall, good job, sometimes have to give a few things up and as previous poster said, we will probably have two top 5 onballers in viney and pick 4 which would have made gysberts life tough.

Im just relieved that we dont have morton on our list cause i was sick of reading all the comments on here about him :)

I'm unsure about what we accomplished with the Martin trade, but other than that I couldn't be happier. The Morton trade was a token trade to get the guy off the list. The coach is clearly not a fan so fair enough. All in all we shed players who can't or won't play the coach's game and replaced them with players who meet a need. I'm happy.

• Like 4

Absolutely stoked with what we just did. Cut out dead wood that was going nowhere - Morton - skinny and useless, Martin tall and more useless, Gysberts - potentially an ok footballer - reality couldn't run out of sight on a dark night - in today's game useless. Got in a few culture changers - hard workers who will help make us competitive in the short to mid terms. Shored up a couple of good kids - JV , Hogan, pick 4 and a quick unknown quantity with X factor in Dom Barry. Absolutely sick of watching games of footy looking at boys playing a mans game and getting smashed in the process. We have plenty of talented kids, hopefully now have a few more level headed mature types to steady the ship regardless of if they are bona fide stars, bit players or depth - do not kid yourselves, we need all of these types, we have been lacking in many areas for a longtime. The FD have started to make some serious changes to change the culture of the place, recreate an age spread and give some experience from teams at have excelled. Once again stoked with what has transpired

• Like 7

The only thing that really grates on me is the thought that MAYBE Gysberts and Morton could still turn into decent players - someone like Josh Kennedy and his progress haunts me. Tha fact that both were very high draft picks gives me the [censored] and is hard to let go of - but so is Cook at #12.

Reality is I was holding out hope on two blokes I've seen occasional brilliance from but nothing, absolutely nothing when the going gets tough and we need them. The blokes leading them were also aweful at this.

I spoke with Neita today and he was rapt with Rodan - a hard tough give everything a crack type player who can show Viney and Wines whats possible with just a little talent. So on that front I'll trust our record holder.

Drafts are also great in 20/20 - but if we had taken Cook at #52 and McDonald at #12 right now I reckon we'd all be very pleased with the recruiting, one was right big time, was simply was Jack Darling. But Hogan is - and more.

I know picking a team for Rd1 will be tougher when Rodan, Byrnes, Pederson and Dawes all demand a game as mature bodies with big pre-season's behind them, encouraging a Dunn to do the same....so that's 5 spots taken, who gets the other 17? unlikely to be weak, skinny but skillful types.

Overall I love the Neeld approach - he can lead and make tough calls no doubt, can he coach? McDonald says "yes"; Gysberts says "no"??????

GO Dees.

• Like 4

How does their mature-aged rookie outweigh our no. 11 pick who lost a season to injury?

Because in spite of what many here seem to believe, Gysberts is not a budding star. In his third season, he managed only one game for 9 disposals.

Both Gysberts and Pedersen spent most of the year in the VFL, and played around the same number of games. While Gysberts did nothing of note, Pedersen won Werribee's best and fairest. In the previous year, Gys managed one Rising Star nomination - while Pedersen won North's best first year player.

The exchange of picks reflects the reality that Pedersen is quite a way in front of Gysberts, at least at the moment.

I spoke with Neita today and he was rapt with Rodan - a hard tough give everything a crack type player ...

Yep, just what we need.

Rapt with the results. We haven't just made changes to the team and playing list. We've made changes to the culture and to the club. Much more important.

The intra-club matches are going to be interesting.

• Like 1

What did we just do?

We got rid of those that don't train or play to the standard that will push the club to the standard it is required to be at to win a premiership.

We got rid of those that do not possess the build or hunger for the contest required to win a premiership.

We gained mature bodies that can withstand the rigours and contests required of a premiership.

Good call! Totally agree!

It seems MFC are expected to perform the perfect pics & trades when it just doesnt always work that way!

MFC have made everyone in the AFL take notice this year! We wont be bunnies anymore!

• Like 1

What did we just do?

Yes - and we got two young guns with pick #4 still to come.............

I reckon we smashed TP, total domination.

Sure we didnt get much for stef, but i dont think he was worth 33, maybe more toward 50 to be honest.

Cale im not fussed on.

Gys wanted to leave, he weasnt happy. What ever, who cares, all the best at north.

Byrnes will be a gun at melb, Rodan will be great.

Dawes and pederson will be massive for our fwd line.

Im so pumped to see Clark dawes duo, blease and byrnes crumming, and howe taking speckys.Throw pederson in the fwd with some ruck work.

Im keen to see what Hogan will bring.

Keen to see what Barry will bring also.

On top of that, we still have pick 4 and a bunch of later picks.

Big changes, for the best i think.

WE JUST DID WHAT WE WERE BASICALLY FORCED TO DO. MAKE CHANGES.

PERHAPS NEELD GENUINELY LIKED/LIKES MORTS, GYS, STEF, BRENT....BUT HE IS TRYING TO DO WHAT IS BEST FOR HIMSELF, THE CLUB...AND US THE SUPPORTERS!!!!!

WE DESERVE BETTER!!!!