FAREWELL JORDAN GYSBERTS

mdemonski2

I'm going to be blazed, shot down, abused and lynched for this BUT, I have a feeling that if we had a decent midfield, and a few gun inside mids, that both Gysberts and Morton could be very effective outside runners.

With the addition of Viney, and possibly Wines and Jones/Sylvia having good years I think both of them could excel.

• Like 1

I'm going to be blazed, shot down, abused and lynched for this BUT, I have a feeling that if we had a decent midfield, and a few gun inside mids, that both Gysberts and Morton could be very effective outside runners.

With the addition of Viney, and possibly Wines and Jones/Sylvia having good years I think both of them could excel.

You could argue for Morton as an outside runner, but Gysberts is an inside mid with no speed or endurance.

• Like 4

I won't be shooting you down..yours is a valid observation and a possibility..would be good to see it come to fruition. Maybe it won't..but its possible. :)

• Like 1

Give the kid a chance ffs.

If someone offers us a fair trade based on his potential, then we must conside,ie first round pick. Otherwise, let him have a decent crack at a season injury free.

I agree with this. We won't lose anything by giving him another year to show us what he's got, unless someone is prepared to offer something really decent for him. I'd like to see him off a full preparation. I think he could be someone very useful.

• Like 1

We barely have five players each week who get more than ten kicks because we rarely have possession of the ball.

That would be the very definition of 'winning his own ball'.

And his stats at Casey have been similarly prolific.

Guest José Mourinho

I agree with this. We won't lose anything by giving him another year to show us what he's got, unless someone is prepared to offer something really decent for him. I'd like to see him off a full preparation. I think he could be someone very useful.

He could lose a lot of value on the trade table, so we get nothing for him next year when we decide not to persevere with him.

Something now, or nothing in a year... I know which I'd take.

Unfortunately we have to make a judgment call on what is more likely in a year's time - him making it, or further lowering his value.

You could argue for Morton as an outside runner, but Gysberts is an inside mid with no speed or endurance.

Redleg - I take your line.

Whatever Gys' strengths may be being argued here, outside leg speed isn't one of them. He is an inside clearance player, and IMO and some others' a good one at that, and we need these.

One of Morton's (few) alleged strengths on the other hand is his outside speed - some would characterize it as being good at running from a contest! Some also talk of elite disposal, of which we have seen very little.

• Like 1

He could lose a lot of value on the trade table, so we get nothing for him next year when we decide not to persevere with him.

Unfortunately we have to make a judgment call on what is more likely in a year's time - him making it, or further lowering his value.

How much value do you think he currently has? Geelong have reportedly lost interest now they have Caddy. The most common trade re Gys I hear is Essendons 3rd rounder. I'd rather wait the 12 months unless, as I said in my earlier post, someone is prepared to offer something decent for him.

• Like 3

Doubt he's got much value for us to lose anyway.

I'd like to keep him. I'd be interested to see what progress he makes, if any.

At the moment we don't know if our new FD can actually coach or develop players. I'd like to see them turn a couple of careers around rather than chuck 'em in the too hard basket. Gysberts would be a good example.

• Like 5

Agree we have no idea that we can develop players. Very few improved under the great Neeld and his toughest team to play against. The coach is clearing players out but a similar year to this year and I guarantee Neeld wont be there.

If he is such a hack why would Geelong be interested? Maybe they rate some of our players but not our coaching staff. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Are Pederson and Dawes coming off outstanding seasons? No! Is it just that the other clubs grass looks greener.

He has a 1 year contract let him finish it!

Agree we have no idea that we can develop players. Very few improved under the great Neeld and his toughest team to play against. The coach is clearing players out but a similar year to this year and I guarantee Neeld wont be there.

If he is such a hack why would Geelong be interested? Maybe they rate some of our players but not our coaching staff. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Are Pederson and Dawes coming off outstanding seasons? No! Is it just that the other clubs grass looks greener.

So you can't judge a kid after 4 years but you can judge the development at the Demons under Neeld after 1 season?

Development of players is important and one area that we are finally getting finances into (Misson) but don't tell me Neeld is to blame for Gysberts' lack of development.

• Like 6

This quote has an eerily familiar vibe to it. Spooky almost.

By the by since when are Geelong interested in Gysbersts (ie someone from the club actually saying they were keen the way they publicly said they were keen in Caddy as opposed to some musty rumor)?

Do we really expect much development of Gysberts (or any other mid) with Royal as midfield coach?

ahhh -so now its Royals fault - but apparently Nathan Jones put his fingers in his ears when Royal spoke and went "nah nah nah not listening"

Doubt he's got much value for us to lose anyway.

I'd like to keep him. I'd be interested to see what progress he makes, if any.

At the moment we don't know if our new FD can actually coach or develop players. I'd like to see them turn a couple of careers around rather than chuck 'em in the too hard basket. Gysberts would be a good example.

The one thing we can't judge from afar is "attitude".

The one thing we can't judge from afar is "attitude".

This has always been my point- its the one thing we really cant see away from the training track or over the fence on match day. To me he appears to have a decent bag of tricks but I am getting the vibe (albeit from whats written on here) that the hunger may not be there.

ahhh -so now its Royals fault - but apparently Nathan Jones put his fingers in his ears when Royal spoke and went "nah nah nah not listening"

Now tell us what the rest of the midfield did. And whet the backline did in 2011.

Can a team have 'enough' accumulators? How many have each of the Premiership teams had this millennium? At least 5 I would hazzard a guess.

Just for interest, can you please name our accumulators over the last 2 seasons?

Totally agree with this. How many times in a game this season did a player from the MFC have 30 plus disposals? Players who have a knack of finding the ball are hard to come by and we have maybe a couple of prospective ones, but none at the moment. Gysberts can be one of these players.

So did you really expect that there would be much progress in the first year of a coach endeavouring to create a whole new culture at the club? He has shown that he will not tolerate anything but best efforts, and hard work which has upset some prima donnas.

So did you really expect that there would be much progress in the first year of a coach endeavouring to create a whole new culture at the club? He has shown that he will not tolerate anything but best efforts, and hard work which has upset some prima donnas.

I agree. Older demon trots out the usual grump about us not being the "toughest team to play against". Some posters seem to think he meant by round 1 2012. When we are the toughest team to play against we'll probably win the flag.

• Like 2