Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

FAREWELL JORDAN GYSBERTS

mdemonski2

Anyone that thinks Gys deserves a 1st round pick in exchange isn't seeing how value is determined at market.

At the draft kids are picked nearly exclusively on potential. They will have exhibited the various skills and abilities over their junior journeys and arrive at combines and are ranked by those whose job it is. Are they drafted on what they can do or what the recruiters think they may do once brought into the AFL system ?

It has to be the latter almost exclusively as they are almost unaminously untried at a senior level. One word sums it up, POTENTIAL.

They are given "mystic" point values for potential. This value holds sway whilst all their actual proess is essentially hidden.

This adds to the sometime lotto effect of the draft. Some kids come on, some don't. Valuable draft picks are essentially pegged to educated guessing.

Once a kid enters the system and is unwrapped al is laid bare. The mystic value disappears and we are then able to see the real , raw recruit for what he is. After a little time a revaluation will occur as matter of course. A comparison of what the recruiters estimated will be put against what IS.

His mystic value was pick 11 , his real value at trade is effectively now that plus a round, yes folks he's worth no more than a mid second at very best. He's been overtaken in the potential valuations by the new kids. We now KNOW what he's done. All current values are/will be based on that.

We have a number of kids showing more. I'd take anyone's second rounder and roll the dice again.

Not sure that I would trade him - want another year to see if the penny has dropped (nutbean = [censored])

However I couldnt agree more with your assessment on a players worth-doesnt matter how much you paid to get a player across or what draft pick he went at- he is worth what he is worth based on current history - not purchase price. Damn it - in 1973 I bought a brand new Leyland P76 for $3140 dollars - lo and behold I went to sell it one month later and it was worth $1.58.Go figure.

Gysberts is definitely a keep at this stage, especially with the emphasis on talls lately we need his services in the middle.

Agree - FWIW I think he is one with the most upside of our younger brigade because he can get his own ball - It's up to the coaches to realise his potential.

• Like 1

Agree - FWIW I think he is one with the most upside of our younger brigade because he can get his own ball - It's up to the coaches to realise his potential

Without being too harsh - crap - it is UP TO GYSBERTS to realise his potential.

• Like 4

Agree. But will it happen?

No but many on here would be willing to play the gutless "wait and see" game for the rest of his career.

And if he comes good elsewhere - well done to him. But he won't be part of Melbourne so I couldn't give two hoots unless he single-handedly beats us in a Grand Final.

No fluff piece from Gysberts is not a good sign...

Where is the article with him quoting how his ready to take on a full pre-season and cement his position in our midfield from round 1

It's evidence of nothing except the fact that they are seeing what the market is for him.

It isn't a comment of Jordan's committment at the minute.

While I would be happy to let Gys go for a decent deal, I am warming to the idea of keeping him. He is clearly an accumulator of the ball but lacks in fitness, bulk and speed. Given that other clubs are not banging down our doors to get him, surely the penny is dropping that this may be his last chance to continue his AFL career.

I would put it on him to work his arse off to improve his size and fitness and help him gain a yard in speed. We have the people to do it so it is up to him. I would also pair him with another player with the right attitude like Grimes or Trengove or Jones for the whole pre season.

This is a great opportunity for Gys to become a good AFL player and if he hasn't got the required attitude he can wave his AFL career goodbye.

• Like 1

While I would be happy to let Gys go for a decent deal, I am warming to the idea of keeping him. He is clearly an accumulator of the ball but lacks in fitness, bulk and speed. Given that other clubs are not banging down our doors to get him, surely the penny is dropping that this may be his last chance to continue his AFL career.

I would put it on him to work his arse off to improve his size and fitness and help him gain a yard in speed. We have the people to do it so it is up to him. I would also pair him with another player with the right attitude like Grimes or Trengove or Jones for the whole pre season.

This is a great opportunity for Gys to become a good AFL player and if he hasn't got the required attitude he can wave his AFL career goodbye.

Early on Redleg I was of the opinion he wanted out but there has been almost nothing said about him since the end of the season.

Even the media rumour mongers have said nine tenths of nothing.

So who knows how is viewed by the FD?

I know he had a couple of bad injuries in 2012 but if you cannot hold your spot when we had a large numbers of injuries in the last third of the season then it does not look good to outside clubs.

It would seem he is not being rushed with offers so we might as well keep him for the last year of his contract in 2013.

No excuses then 2013 becomes put up or shut up time.

• Like 1

I also don't have a particularly high opinion of Royal, the coach. He was a great footballer.However, given Neeld's relentless attempts to improve our playing list, would he not get rid of Royal (or any other coach) who he thought was not performing well?I know that our mids have been poor, but is this because of Royal or other factors?

The midfield is poor due to other factors. However it has failed to improve in part due to Royal.

I don't really see what this has to do with Gysberts though. The kid was injured all season - give him this pre-season and next year to show what he's got and if there's nothing there cut your losses.

• Like 1

Early on Redleg I was of the opinion he wanted out but there has been almost nothing said about him since the end of the season.

Even the media rumour mongers have said nine tenths of nothing.

So who knows how is viewed by the FD?

I know he had a couple of bad injuries in 2012 but if you cannot hold your spot when we had a large numbers of injuries in the last third of the season then it does not look good to outside clubs.

It would seem he is not being rushed with offers so we might as well keep him for the last year of his contract in 2013.

No excuses then 2013 becomes put up or shut up time.

I will have to agree as you have basically replicated my post.

I really just don't get the fuss about this kid, he reminds me of Dexys Midnight Runners!

( some of you might struggle with that, others get it in a flash....c'mon )

• Like 2

I really just don't get the fuss about this kid, he reminds me of Dexys Midnight Runners!

( some of you might struggle with that, others get it in a flash....c'mon )

Well 'bub, I'll be honest and admit that I'm struggling ......... but I'm not asking for an explanation.

Well 'bub, I'll be honest and admit that I'm struggling ......... but I'm not asking for an explanation.

Flash in the pan

The midfield is poor due to other factors. However it has failed to improve in part due to Royal.

I don't really see what this has to do with Gysberts though. The kid was injured all season - give him this pre-season and next year to show what he's got and if there's nothing there cut your losses.

What evidence do you have that Royal is a bad coach. Midfield players praised him at the B&F. Is Aaron Greaves any good because he's the other midfield coach. Is he crap too. Just maybe they're getting the best they can out of a mediocre lot.

Gys has always screamed to me a poor mans Pendlebury. Tall, slow, great hands and a great decision maker (potentially).

If he can gain some confidence, fitness and consistency.. I think we have a decent player wearing 5.

• Like 1

What evidence do you have that Royal is a bad coach. Midfield players praised him at the B&F. Is Aaron Greaves any good because he's the other midfield coach. Is he crap too. Just maybe they're getting the best they can out of a mediocre lot.

no no...Royal and Greaves are selectively bad coaches - bad for Gysberts and Moloney but good for Jones, Howe and at times McKenzie( where they alternated between good and bad).

I know I am boring and repetitive but the biggest copout for lazy,underperforming or sooking footballers is to blame the coach.

• Like 1

So the rumour going around basically means we'd trade Gysberts for a soon to be delisted bomber and a vfl playing roo..... Yeahhhhhh nahhhhhhh

I rate Gys, but lets face it. This year Gysberts has been a VFL playing Demon! I don't know whats worse..