We're back

Arrow

Every single year I hear Melbourne fans, me included, jumping up and down around this time of year. Well, forgive me, but I am not congratulating anyone until I see results on the field this time around. I am not saying I think they have stuffed up, or that Neeld is no good, but I have seen these sort of posts every year for the last few.

• Like 4

I am getting lots of positive feedback from family who support Collingwood, Hawthorn and Carlton. They are all muttering "well done" and admiring how progressive the Dees have been during the trade period - almost in an envious way! . My husband who is a Collingwood supporter has always been a big Dawes fan and didn't want him to go.

I am not getting ahead of myself but I am very excited about the future.

I had a chat to a Pies mate of mine about dawes, and he said 'Brad Miller take 2!'

My commnentary pivoted mainly on the idea that its plain to see what and where we are going re draft and picks, they ( filth rellos) were somewhat bemused. They didnt see a lot of advantage gaining Lynch for Dawes , much of a muchness ( for them ) They can see a benefit in amassing picks and theyll wait to see what/who they pick up there.

They both rated Dawes, said he just a had a poor season mainly due to injury and being played out of position. Both have reservations as to whether Bucks can put anymore silverware on the shelf ( they off course hope so )

Both would have preferred to retain Chris. They now see they might become exposed up fwd if any injuries present through the season.

They see Collingwood attempting a top up / recruitment on the run, reckon they still have 3-4 with window open before any serious rebuilds.

Thats where they see themselves, and still curious as to what Bucks is up to, then again it took them 5 or so to figure out Malthouse..lol

They , for what its worth think we have turned a corner and should play 'ok' footy in 13...who knows in 14 onwards

Interestingly neither were overly keen on Martin, they too would prefer a "Pedersen" type, play front and back, pinch hit in the ruck and quite sound footy skills. They see his type as more a footy player than Martin. I had to agree.

Funny the things you gain talking outside of the norm. Both are reserved about Cloke. They worry they ( pies) might become too Buddy like and so understand the idea of Lynch but wonder what after him, so how wise the turnover in players etc.

But alas, there was no hesitation in reinstating the bet for the next QB ...lol They still fancy themselves easily over us, but reckon we might just put up some resistance now

last word; they thought CD a good pick up and wished him well.

I am getting lots of positive feedback from family who support Collingwood, Hawthorn and Carlton. They are all muttering "well done" and admiring how progressive the Dees have been during the trade period - almost in an envious way! . My husband who is a Collingwood supporter has always been a big Dawes fan and didn't want him to go.

I am not getting ahead of myself but I am very excited about the future.

enjoy it Jane...But don't say too much yet.

Dis he put his teeth in before he said that?

Well I am getting excited about the future and my reasoning is;

Three years ago we had to have a rebuild and the way we went about it was wrong. Going after early draft picks, young kids and the future.

Carlton did the same and so too did Richmond about seven years ago; Richmond are where Carlton was last year but it took them seven years. Carlton will have to go for another semi rebuild in the next couple of years.

The reason why we all failed is that we left the top end, ie experienced players for dead and the kids had no teachers. That plus the fact that kids on the whole are a lottery.

No solid base and the pack falls down. Example GC and GFC.

Our guys finally have the smarts and are building the base first and that is why we, in the superdraft went for established players rather than kids.

Smart or stupid?

I say smart because we only wasted 3 years chasing kids and not seven like Richmond.

• Like 1

Absolutely nobody fears us at this point in time, let's get real. But I agree with the overall sentiment regarding how refreshing it is to see the club being aggressive in the trade period and I think the club is preparing well for its climb back up the ladder.

I'm just excited to finally see us playing with a forward line. A real, bona fide forward line, with athletic talls, crumbing smalls, who woulda thunk it? I

Bring on 2013.

Well we all cried out for list changes, and we have some interesting additions pick 4 ??

I do agree its going to be an interesting forward line next year,

Just who will go to allow these new comers ? and who will survive,

Interesting Times

Go Dees !!!

Ladies and Gents...I have a feeling we could be finals bound 2013!!

Don't think we can get that far ahead Phil but my general stance is that, there are many factors leading towards us rising up the ladder rather than falling down.

We have:

- more leadership (Byrnes, Dawes, 2nd year of new captains)

- more development (self-explanatory, expect Watts, Tapscott and post 08 draft classes to have far better years)

- consolidated coaching and in house group (Neeld and his sub committee along with Schwab and his gang are finally stable)

- Fitness (We were made aware the last 2 thirds of last year were getting us fit for 2013)

- The best side of the draw (we play top 4 teams only once)

Compare that to the losses which are basically

- Rivers

- Expectation of a fall in ability for some of older players (possibly Jamar)

We have all been optimistic in previous years, but thats just to get us pumped for the new year. When you look back were their really reasons for optimism?

Those expecting immediate impact from draftees will be sorely disappointed. I'd love 18 games from our pick 4 and Viney, but they won't turn around our team. I'm reliant on our old 'fringe' players to become AFL players. Strauss, Tapscott, Bail, Gawn, Morton, Trengove, Sylvia. If 3 or 4 of these guys have strong 18-22 game season we'll move up the rungs of the ladder rather than down.

I didn't start the thread to profess the opening of the window after 2 trades. I wanted to gauge whether supporters were as impressed by our moves this off-season as I am. As I stated in the OP, I feel like the off-season 'team' has done their job. They have recruited bang on who we needed or required, we got the best we could and have catered for all our needs. Relying on either a Wines, O'Rourke or Toumpas pick 4 I wouldn't change one thing. For mine its now over to Mark and the boys to bring home the bacon per-say, and finally live up to the potential of some of these players.

Edited by Demon Land 7

I also forgot Taggert and Tynan in the above players. Any progression from these 2 only adds to the depth. Anyone who made it out to his VFL game knows he is a model player we are looking for IF he can translate that ability into the AFL.

No, not quite yet. We all know actions on the footy field speak far louder than the actions off- field however for the first team since arguably late 80's early 90's I'm sensing something from the outside that hasn't been smelt for years.

Fear.

Love the recruiting and FD work and think that Neeld is the one to turn us around. My FEAR is we are getting ahead of ourselves here on DL...you know - all news is good news type of thing. Confucious says something about counting chickens before they hatch!! :wacko:

• Like 1

Love the recruiting and FD work and think that Neeld is the one to turn us around. My FEAR is we are getting ahead of ourselves here on DL...you know - all news is good news type of thing. Confucious says something about counting chickens before they hatch!! :wacko:

NNnnnnnnoooooo not us in here...... pppffftttt

I had a chat to a Pies mate of mine about dawes, and he said 'Brad Miller take 2!'

if by that he means he is someone who will play twice as well at his second club, then bring it on!

Well I am getting excited about the future and my reasoning is;

Three years ago we had to have a rebuild and the way we went about it was wrong. Going after early draft picks, young kids and the future.

Carlton did the same and so too did Richmond about seven years ago; Richmond are where Carlton was last year but it took them seven years. Carlton will have to go for another semi rebuild in the next couple of years.

The reason why we all failed is that we left the top end, ie experienced players for dead and the kids had no teachers. That plus the fact that kids on the whole are a lottery.

No solid base and the pack falls down. Example GC and GFC.

Our guys finally have the smarts and are building the base first and that is why we, in the superdraft went for established players rather than kids.

Smart or stupid?

I say smart because we only wasted 3 years chasing kids and not seven like Richmond.

i thought that's why the Brownpaperbaggers got Judd and the Toiges Cousins.

What I believe the introduction of Dawes will lead to is the rise of Jack Fitzpatrick. A 200cm running machine who improved out of sight this year at Casey and kicked 2 in the last game of the year at Subi.

His body is getting bigger and as the 3rd tall in the forward 50, with the 3rd best tall defender on him, he COULD turn into a devastating weapon.

Just a thought

• Like 4

I am very happy with the off-season thus far, I am enjoying it so much more than the last few seasons I almost don't want season 2013 to roll around.

Neeld has done two things I am immensely happy:

1. Brought in experienced players with good records from successful clubs to fill roles that were otherwise vacant.

2. Shown a large amount of faith in the young side of our list. Neeld seems to think that several will step up this year and that all they need is solid role players to help them improve.

Its a good sign.

• Like 1

Ladies and Gents...I have a feeling we could be finals bound 2013!!

C'mon Mods, I thought it was your responsibility to censor the "F" word

enjoy it Jane...But don't say too much yet.

No I am just basking in it all at the moment and saying very little!

I just hope the club isn't making moves for the sake of making noise, but rather to actually become a great team AND club.

Mostly people I've noticed are either saying we have paid overs for a number of OK players, or commending the club for making moves without actually praising the moves individually.

The club isn't back. It's still far off. This off-season is, if anything, a sign that the club won't sit back any longer, and that it can attract highly sought after players.