Plumbing the depths of journalism

Chelly

When S questioned him about Dawes not being the main forward because of Clark's presence, he resorted to making up a story of how MFC have stated that Clark will play partly in the ruck as well as forward so Dawes will be the main man. Now I have not seen that written or heard it spoken of in any way shape or form.

Denham has a history of making things up to suit his anti MFC agenda ala that Carlton was chasing Watts...even Geoff Walsh said it was made up.

I have never come across a sports journalist before who has such a public Hatred for one organization (team) before. That is why it was great hearing MFC supporters lining up on the phone.

For too long everything Melbourne has just quietly accepted our lot & suffered in relative silence.

I think this is changing...Started of course by the late Jimmy.

Denham will go down once his agenda is made public.

• Like 1

I don't mind someone having a crack at an AFL club as long as their facts are right. He referred to Dawes, Ray, Pedersen and Byrnes as "Dad's army". Dawes will start next year as a 24 year old, Ray will play as a 27 year old, Pedersen 26 and Byrnes 29. Outside of Byrnes, who also isn't overly old, the other three are in their prime.

He mentioned that we should be going the youth path, like Footscray. For the last few years our list has been in the bottom 4 youngest. In the Sun's first year we were the youngest outside of them. And as another poster mentioned the Dogs were old this year.

Also, in 2012, outside of GWS Melbourne have more first round draft picks on their list than any other club.

He really needs to look at the plain old boring facts.

Maybe he went to the same Journo school as Andrew Bolt. i.e none.

Just stirring BH.

If you want honest footy writing-go to my mate Marty Bolton .

Top guy who loves the game.(Barracks for the filth sadly).

An argument can be made that Dawes is not worth pick 20 and maybe we could have used it for another kid

Here the 20th pick from the draft since '92

Make up your own minds if Dawes is worth it.

I say yes.

Scott Cummings

Wade Chapman

Stuart Mangin

Nick Carter

Matthew Dent

Dean Soloman

Michael Collica

Paul Wheatley

Kane Cornes

Daniel Elstone

Will Minson

Sam Butler

Dean Polo

Paul Bower

Tom Hislop

Tony Notte

Tom Swift

Nathan Fyfe

Jayden Pitt

Hayden Crozier

Our Coach will know whether Dawes is a good pick up. His ongoing coaching career is linked quite close to it. Similar to Byrnes. Interesting to read in the HUN today that the Demons have been watching Byrnes closely all year (p 64).

But as Tony Schibeci said this morning there is something more behind Denhams attacks on Melbourne and maybe it will come to light in the future. So come on Greg grow some balls and tell us what the real issue is. What the problem(s) with CS that colours all of your views re the MFC?

I heard talk that Schwabby had purposely fed journo/s significant misleading info. Don't know what that info was, but I bet it's a driving force behind that fool denham's clear attempt to discredit MFC. Petty payback which makes denham look childish.

Apologies old dee, don't know how to link to a comment from another thread...

old dee, on 04 November 2011 - 09:57 AM, said:

I heard him this morning at approx. 9.30 he was asked why do you hate the MFC so much?

His answer:

Some CEO's go out of their way to help and provide info and others lie!

So there, now we know what his problem is!

Edited by Moonshadow

I caught the end of his disgracful performance,full of half truths (he neglected to mention Hogan and Barry in his summary) and plain stupidity...the 'dads army' crack and suggesting pick 20 was half that of pick 39!! Yep and pick 1 is twice as good as pick 2 which is twice that of pick 4...duh.. geez he's so dumb.

I wonder why someone on SEN doesnt challenge him to explain why he's so personally and unprofessionaly bitter about MFC.

It was so bad today that people were ringing in saying that while they didnt support MFC but.....pointing out his prejudices and innacuracies

Mind you, like Denham, I do think the Pies have done very well out of the draft,assuming the use their picks wisely.

MFC had constraints and the blokes at the coal face have obviously made considered choices/trade offs

I heard him this morning at approx. 9.30 he was asked why do you hate the MFC so much?

His answer:

Well really !! It must have been a pretty dreadful lie, because all clubs tell journos lies.

The bloke from the Age was laughing about it last week on the very same radio station.

Still, if thats the reason then he should be embarrassed at how juvenile he is being shown to be....by his own behaviour.

Frankly, SEN should 'speak' to him.

Schibecksaid Dees close to the best so far in recruiting. Denham said that is rubbish, went on with the Melbourne Bears thing ie a team made up of 'recycled' players, ad nauseum.

D thinks we should take the Bulldogs approach, put the cue in the rack for a few years and recruit only kids (and Dee supports should suck it up), pick 20 overs for Dawes etc etc etc.

Callers raised fact that we have recruited more kids: Viney, Hogan, Barry and pick 4; that we had lost experience: Maloney, Jurrah, Green so we need experience and some stronger bodies to help young kids develop. D thought we should have made better use of our draft picks...ha?

S asked D if he would apologise if the Dees won a flag in 3 years. D said it wouldn't happen but yes he would apologise...Hmmm

S finished up with one day we will find out what is behind it all (D's venom towards the Dees)

That's about all I remember...I was more focused on enjoying S's hard edge than listing to the detail.

Uh, the bulldogs were offering pick 21 for Dawes....so we did exactly what the Dogs were doing, only better! What a [censored].

Denham has a history of making things up to suit his anti MFC agenda ala that Carlton was chasing Watts...even Geoff Walsh said it was made up.

It wasn't Geoff Walsh, it was Greg Swann, CEO of Carlton...... "Absolute crap"

I heard talk that Schwabby had purposely fed journo/s significant misleading info. Don't know what that info was, but I bet it's a driving force behind that fool denham's clear attempt to discredit MFC. Petty payback which makes denham look childish.

His answer:

this is why i would like our CEO to ring in to put his side of the story.

This feud has boiled long enough.

this is why i would like our CEO to ring in to put his side of the story.

This feud has boiled long enough.

I wouldnt be the least suprised if CS is a liar and irritates the buggery out of the serious journos.

His game playing was part of the reason for the 186.

But what has that to do with Denham?...he's not a serious sports journo,he's none too bright and he's incredibly immature and unprofessional.

His answer:

Yep seems to be... but it's about time he cleared the air and explained himself.

His answer:

Fool Denham for falling for the lie and lacking the journo credo which says '...don't print/say unless you get it twice from two independent sources". He has obviously been outsmarted by CS at some stage and has been smarting about it ever since!

Get over it, Denham!

I wouldnt be the least suprised if CS is a liar and irritates the buggery out of the serious journos.

His game playing was part of the reason for the 186.

But what has that to do with Denham?...he's not a serious sports journo,he's none too bright and he's incredibly immature and unprofessional.

you may be right, but it's time to bring it all out. Denham has pushed it too far.

If he was smart he would have backed it off during this year but he did the opposite.

I don't mind someone having a crack at an AFL club as long as their facts are right. He referred to Dawes, Ray, Pedersen and Byrnes as "Dad's army". Dawes will start next year as a 24 year old, Ray will play as a 27 year old, Pedersen 26 and Byrnes 29. Outside of Byrnes, who also isn't overly old, the other three are in their prime

Yes, then he complimented Geelong on picking up two 27-year olds. Wise recruiting, that.

It's now more funny than annoying listening to the old fool.

A caller rang in this morning who said he wasnt a melbourne supporter but read out the top 20 picks of the last 10 years and said Chris Dawes would be better than any of them. greg raised his voice and said whats your point. The guy said well Id have dawes over them any day.

He bags us because we have been down and says we should also be like richmond and get kids. Well Greg when did richmond last play finals? We have even played finals since they have. As Tony said today they are young kids and with them losing Jurrah, Green, Rivers and Moloney so they need some older heads in there. He was disagrreing with greg them mentioned after he'd gone that there is obviously somethng underling with his issue with melbourne.

Also about the bulldogs they have a whole lot of older players so who will lead them when they are gone.If we follow the dogs path we will never get there. Greg also questions why players want to leave melbourne and now they have you tool we need replacements.

How id love mark neeld to ring up and explain his drafting process on air to him. Greg would shake in his boots.

• Like 1

I don't know why you people froth over him. Never ever head him speak or read his paper(the australian?). For me he only lives in Demonland bellyaching. Sounds like he takes some legitimate criticisms and mixes it with copious bile to keep all you guys sqealling and bleating. Get a life.

Edited by america de cali

I heard Denham also this morning. Started his conversation off with his Melbourne Bears smart ar&e remark. He wants us to win more games in a season by now recruiting more kids. Considering we have now lost a heap of experience in Rivers, Moloney, Green & Jurrah this philosophy would makes us even more vulnerable to bigger floggings. The recruitment of Dawes, Byrnes, possibly Ray & with the youth of Jack Viney plus Wines? at pick 4 is definitely the way to go. What a [censored] that Denham is.

Some say he hates Melbourne.

Maybe, maybe not, but his opinion certainly distorts his comments about the Dees.

On SEN this morning he criticized Melbourne's approach to the trade period claiming we should have focused on the younger end of the draft. Naturally he was highly critical of us getting Dawes at 20. Thought Byrnes Pederson and Rae, meant that was basically what we had done.

On quick reflection Hogan (17yr), Pick four (presumably another 18 year old champ), Barry (18yr at pick 13) and Viney (18 yr, yes pick 26 but generally regarded as a top 10 pick) would arguably be the youngest group of elite young kids ever picked by a team in the one year (apart from Suns and Giants)

Can anyone think of a better 4 players all virtually under pick 13 having been picked by a team in the one year.

What club wouldn't swap their picks with us this year if they had the chance

Yes we could have gone for another young kid at 20 instead of the 24yr old premiership CHF, but I know what I would have done irrespective of whether we had to give pick 20 or 35 to 50 what Denham thinks he might have been worth. No wonder he's a loose canon journalist. Wouldn't be able to cope with the responsibility of the real world of football.

BACK TO A BETTER FOUR UNDER PICK 13. ANY SUGGESTIONS?