How much trouble is Port in?

darkhorse72

This isn't to dig the boots in but to learn from and I'm curious about the view from Melbourne on the trouble there:

Just reading the latest fiasco of Port with regard to coaching, with the preferred candidate preferring to be a assistant at GWS for the future top job. On top of that:

1. They are broke, even worse than what we were

2. They have no coach or potential coaches queuing up to take over the club, with cameron preferring GWS obvisouly with the offer made to him.

* They seem to be scaring them away, maybe what is discussed in the interview process is scaring them. Or have they just been unprofessional in the process?

3. They are losing players faster than us, which is scary

4. Their new president will be present mainly via a video link, Koche... I have a mate who supports them and he despised how Dean Laidley often coached via video link as he lived in Melbourne, now the president is doing it.

5. They have a small supporter base, though I do see more port supporters around perth than Dee's.

When you compare some of our recent events at the Dee's and despite the left-field dramas not of our making, the club seems rock steady in its direction and plans.

The should never have been admitted into the AFL for the exact reasons we are seeing now.

A total disaster on all levels.

How they won that 2004 flag is astounding.

They can't survive another decade, i mean really.

It's like Port Melbourne joining the AFL or Sandringham.

The should never have been admitted into the AFL for the exact reasons we are seeing now.

A total disaster on all levels.

How they won that 2004 flag is astounding.

They can't survive another decade, i mean really.

It's like Port Melbourne joining the AFL or Sandringham.

Don't mean to be a wet blanket, and i admire your blind... support for our club. They beat us regularly, have had a flag in the last 40 years, finished above us on the ladder.

Hope you criticize us internally with the same venom, otherwise some may say it would be a little hypocritical.

• Like 2

Don't mean to be a wet blanket, and i admire your blind... support for our club. They beat us regularly, have had a flag in the last 40 years, finished above us on the ladder.

Hope you criticize us internally with the same venom, otherwise some may say it would be a little hypocritical.

you must be a Port Supporter mate. What have i said that is wrong. They have no supporters....

While I agree that Port Adelaide have produced better on-field performances than us in the past decade, the off-field issues that they are experiencing at the moment are much worse than ours. We currently have a stable (and most would say competent) board and we are financially sound. On the other hand, Port are struggling to find someone who wants to coach them as their "candidates" are dropping out faster than they can find new ones. Their rivals, Adelaide, are on the rise and I think it is highly likely that Port will lose many supporters to the Crows.

I would much rather be in our situation than theirs.

• Like 3

You have to feel for Travis Boake; re-signed thinking all will be good and now finds the opposite, probably wishes he had waited till coach was actually appointed.

after cameron pulled out of the coaching job they're down to about their 6th, 7th or even 8th choice of coach!

Yes but who lost to gws AND gc in their first seasons??? says it all really

Port will finish bottom next year no doubt about it.

As for them losing players as quick as us? Hmm we have lost Moloney and Rivers (by the sounds of it) and only riv was in our best 22 at the end of the year so its not even that bad.

Back on port, they will fold and Tasmania will finally have an AFL team.

This isn't to dig the boots in but to learn from and I'm curious about the view from Melbourne on the trouble there:

Just reading the latest fiasco of Port with regard to coaching, with the preferred candidate preferring to be a assistant at GWS for the future top job. On top of that:

1. They are broke, even worse than what we were

2. They have no coach or potential coaches queuing up to take over the club, with cameron preferring GWS obvisouly with the offer made to him.

* They seem to be scaring them away, maybe what is discussed in the interview process is scaring them. Or have they just been unprofessional in the process?

3. They are losing players faster than us, which is scary

4. Their new president will be present mainly via a video link, Koche... I have a mate who supports them and he despised how Dean Laidley often coached via video link as he lived in Melbourne, now the president is doing it.

5. They have a small supporter base, though I do see more port supporters around perth than Dee's.

When you compare some of our recent events at the Dee's and despite the left-field dramas not of our making, the club seems rock steady in its direction and plans.

Too much, and IMO the Port 'tribe' hasn't bought into the 'power'.

IMO they should lose the 'Teal', & go for 'Koori' colours,,,,

with the Port Magpies top 1/3rd of the Jumper. With vertical stripes of Red & a Golden colour,,, wider Golden stripes with narrowish Red stripes.

263px-Port_Adelaide_Magpies_Jumper.svg.png

I think the port people need to re identify with the club at the AFL level.

They need to bring the club to the port people.

They're is a message in all this to all AFL clubs IMO.

Port will finish bottom next year no doubt about it.

As for them losing players as quick as us? Hmm we have lost Moloney and Rivers (by the sounds of it) and only riv was in our best 22 at the end of the year so its not even that bad.

Back on port, they will fold and Tasmania will finally have an AFL team.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones!

Don't blame Cameron for taking on the GWS gig. Could potentially be a premiership coach in 5 years time. Unlucky for PA, but hopefully they get out of the quagmire they're in at the moment. Similar to the Dees pre Jimmy, and we're still not out of it yet either.

A Melbourne supporter having a go at another club's supporters for not showing up. Ha.

this thread is not about Melbourne. It's about Port Adelaide.

They are a SANFL club who joined the AFL.

A decision i never agreed with because of exactly what is happening now.

Things aren't that bad.

We don't know the internal machinations of the club....the place could be buzzing.

They've got some terrific young kids, they'll draft 2 or 3 more and they've lost Salopek, Pearce and Chaplin....spuds of the highest order.

I think it's important to keep all this in perspective. Remember, we've just had the year from hell.

this thread is not about Melbourne. It's about Port Adelaide.

They are a SANFL club who joined the AFL.

A decision i never agreed with because of exactly what is happening now.

I dont think people are talking about melbourne WYL. They are talking about your ignorance and crystal ball/in retrospect thinking. You would easily dump other clubs out of the competition (Port and North as two examples) whilst blindly thinking the MFC has its own place in the leaugue.