WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - CHRIS DAWES

Dawes is no Fev, Pav, Petrie or Roo he is a second string forward, now third string, in the side and has had one really good year. His form this year has been terrible and he would have been dropped earlier if it wasn't for the fact they needed to get him in to some form and for the structure of their forward line.

Remember Benny Holland; he was given a huge contract by the tigers based on one year's good football and after that he was just ordinary, so much so they traded him to us as we were the only mugs who would take him. Benny was a great guy good clubman tall strong but he just wasn't really any good; wonder if Dawes will turn out to be Bennyx2?

BTW Petrie is 197cm

Not talking ability, only the height issue. Apologies re Petrie, I was thinking of Roughead.

Of course the Pies are going to start at 4.

We offer 26 (or whatever) we close at 13/14.

Too easy.

*Or we use our FA compo (which could be pick after 2nd pick) and pick 26 (ie 26,27) for Wellingham and Dawes/McIntosh and pick up Viney at 3, leaving 4 and 14 for the kids in draft. Byrnes in by FA.

*FA/Draft/Trade speculation.

• Like 1

Funny, Once upon a time I liked Dawes, but now I see him as the very embodiment of a NQR player. He's not tall enough to play as a tall marking target. He's not quick enough to play as a mobile forward. He's not strong enough to play as a gorilla. His kicking is adequate but not great. His stats are mediocre. He's just not what we need.

yeah im hearin ya , its a do ya or dont ya thing , f@#ked if i know

I hate this 'splitting of centimeters'. Dawes is 193cm and you say he isn't tall enough to play as a marking target. Fev was 191. Pav is 192. Petrie is 193. Reiwoldt is 193. There are plenty more examples of this. A few centimeters here or there mean nothing. As well as that, Dawes is strong as they come and at 105kg has a fair amount of weight to throw around. Sure he might not be the most athletic bloke, but if he can split the pack and drop the ball to whoever is waiting at the front of the pack (saying that I hope we can pick up one or two small forwards), he is a hell of a lot more than what we have at the moment.

The difference between Dawes and all those mentioned is that they are athletically gifted far beyond his wildest dreams. He has neither the pace nor the leap of these players. He is a huge man, but somehow this has not translated to strength in the contest and he is not known for his ability to monster defenders in a wrestle. So again, he is not tall enough to take the ball above his defender. he is not quick or agile enough to get separation from his defender, and he is not strong enough to out-muscle them one on one. NQR.

• Like 1

But why bog yourself down on the unlikeliest scenarios ? it just makes you look like one of the nuffies.

Quite often I get a lateral thought and this is one.

Tell me how dangerous would Sydney be with either Tippet or Dawes in their line up and don't tell me that the Swans

aren't thinking about it

I did get some reactions but did not expect one from your good self.

The difference between Dawes and all those mentioned is that they are athletically gifted far beyond his wildest dreams. He has neither the pace nor the leap of these players. He is a huge man, but somehow this has not translated to strength in the contest and he is not known for his ability to monster defenders in a wrestle. So again, he is not tall enough to take the ball above his defender. he is not quick or agile enough to get separation from his defender, and he is not strong enough to out-muscle them one on one. NQR.

I was mainly focusing on the height as you stated he wasn't tall enough, but he actually has a strong pair of hands and his marking stats are evidence to that. Sure he might not be the most athletic but when hitting a pack at speed (and he isn't the slowest guy), kilos = extra force. At 105 I know I'd much rather him, to say Watts at low 90's.

He might be an NQR mate but at this stage this NQR is better than most of the players on our list.

I think some on here think we can wait 3-4 years to show massive improvement, we can't, our club can't, we need to start winning games and adding 6-7 18yo kids to our list will not help us win games in 2013/14. We need afl footballers 23 to 28 that cab improve our time whilst the kids learn and improve. The club can't have another season like 2012 and dawes wellingham will make is better

Sad but true!

We must climb up the ladder in the next 2 years to give our supporters hope - and to make us attractive to free agents. Dawes and Wellingham were important players in a premiership side. They would improve us immediately.Two top 20 picks plus Viney plus two mid age premiership players would be a very balanced response to our present predicament.

If we can get Viney without using pick 3, then I'd do the deal. Even if we can't I'd think about it hard..................... particularly if the medicos believe that Dawes can get over the injuries he's carried during the last couple of years

I think what people are concerned about is that reports apparently suggested that we went to Collingwood with the offer of pick 4.

Yes................. you'd like to think we went in with an offer based on Pick 13 .............................. unless of course we expect to steal Viney with a pick in the 20s?

• Like 1

If we give up pick 4 for either of these NQR mid grade player, I will go postal and quit footy forever.

We cannot be so absolutely dumb.

I agree Jaded - MFC would be incredibly stupid giving up pick 4 - no matter how successful the trade ended up.

Dawes is out of favour at the pies and 'reported keen to leave' and Wellingham with a bit of luck could potentially be picked up in the PSD if he wasn't traded by the pies

Pick 4 - what a bloody joke - If we trade pick 4 for Dawes & Wellingham I will demand my membership be refunded and I will quit supporting this club ... nough crap is enough

Edited by Unleash Hell
  • Like 1

I'd say the only way we would part ways with pick 4 is if we can use our second round pick on Viney.

That would mean:

3: Gun Mid

4: Wellingham and Dawes

13: Gun Tall

21: Viney

I would be ok with that.

If the Dees were to give up pick 13 for Chris Dawes they can kiss my membership goodbye.

I rate him more than most on here but pick 26 is the most I'd give.

Based on the article in The Age this morning it doesn't appear that there will be a bidding frenzy.

I can understand people being livid with a top 5 pick being given for two B-grade players but Pick 13 may be packaged up at some point this trade period for a B-grader. Just like Pick 12 was last year.

And we did well out of that didn't we?

I'd say the only way we would part ways with pick 4 is if we can use our second round pick on Viney.

That would mean:

3: Gun Mid

4: Wellingham and Dawes

13: Gun Tall

21: Viney

I would be ok with that.

I wouldn't.

Draft properly and Pick 4 is a gun of the highest order. Wellingham and Dawes don't add up to Pick 4.

• Like 1

I can understand people being livid with a top 5 pick being given for two B-grade players but Pick 13 may be packaged up at some point this trade period for a B-grader. Just like Pick 12 was last year.

And we did well out of that didn't we?

This is supposedly a stronger draft and I would argue that Dawes has far less upside than Clark. He's much slower, doesn't have a leap. He's just a hard-working C Grade 'work horse'.

It is debatable whether Dawes is any better than Sellar. If Sellar had Pendlebury, Swan and Thomas putting down his throat, and Cloke drawing two defenders how do you think Sellar would compare?

Wellingham will only head west if Meth Coke or Freo pay his wage.

What is this post about?? He is out of contract currently. Fairly self evident if they employ him they will pay his wages...

What were the first two words of the sentence?

At some point this club will draft a star and our best chance is Pick 3 and Pick 4.

I know.. I did read it but of course our FAILURE to secure a decent pick 4 is at the forefront of my thinking, Why does anyone think we would get it right this time?? Because BP is not here??

Cale gives me nightmares.