FAREWELL BRENT MOLONEY

RalphiusMaximus

Just reading this article on the AFL website. If his agent has made overtures to every other club, I suspect that signs are not terribly good for Beamer. Surely if he has real value the clubs should be making offers to him? To me this sounds a lot like they are not getting any bites and are willing to take pretty much any offer they get.

Yup I mentioned this in another thread.

My gut is that he got good coin from MFC, and whilst he has interest from some other clubs, it's not quite at the level that he and his management were expecting, But it's not a good look to have your manager come out and say he has shopped you around to every other club.

I suspect the Dons are keen if the Goddard deal falls through. Can Essendon afford to pay big to both Beamer and Goddard?

If the player's manager has been shopping him around for the best part of 6 months, and MFC giving their blessing for him to go where ever he can get a contract, if I were a list manager at another club, I don't think I would be expecting to pay Beamer a big contract.

• Like 1

I suspect the Dons are keen if the Goddard deal falls through. Can Essendon afford to pay big to both Beamer and Goddard?

this is why some deals will fall through in 2-3 days.

We have cash. I wouldn't be suprised if the MFC pounce on a deal that is not yet seen.

Free Agency is Poker...

• Like 1

Can also put pressure on/ open opportunities for trades when players (not able to use FA) are being squeezed by incoming FA I.e. Wellingham (Cloke deal) and Gumbleton (Goddard deal)...

Can also put pressure on/ open opportunities for trades when players (not able to use FA) are being squeezed by incoming FA I.e. Wellingham (Cloke deal) and Gumbleton (Goddard deal)...

correct. I wasn't aware of the 72 hour matching clause until yesterday.

Very clever planning.

The MFC is in a prime position for all this.

We have abundant salary cap room if bidding wars start.

Obviously depends on their cap space, but also if there are any outgoing. Ie. Monfries, Lovett-Murray. If a couple of dominoes fall early, it may enable more movement.

A lower contract will reduce the compo pick we get in exchange for him so it's also our problem.

You don't really think he is worth a compo pick do you?

You're assuming that they will be given a compo pick before our pick 13? I agree that they will deserve a good pick, but who knows how the AFL and their super-top-secret-extra-special-formula will actually work?

yes i am assuming Brendan Goddard is in Level 1. Otherwise the system is a farce.

Am I right in believing that he is the only player to make it publicly known that he was leaving his club before the end of the season.

It seems a strange move by the player and manager. This effectively announces that his current club will not be involved in negotiations and do not want to keep him at any cost..

Moloney's manager loves medjia street.

One article recently referred to him as a 'leading player manager'. Googling revealed him to be a very minor player manager indeed.

Methinks Moloney would have had concrete offers from other clubs before announcing his intention to test the free agency waters.

correct. I wasn't aware of the 72 hour matching clause until yesterday.

Very clever planning.

The MFC is in a prime position for all this.

We have abundant salary cap room if bidding wars start.

Not sure how clever it is, for most players we would certainly not be seen as thier first option. Being what we are we currently we need to make a big pitch while holding much bigger bags of cash.

Otherwise I expect we could get some leftovers, some of whom might be useful.

Not sure how clever it is, for most players we would certainly not be seen as thier first option. Being what we are we currently we need to make a big pitch while holding much bigger bags of cash.

Otherwise I expect we could get some leftovers, some of whom might be useful.

we are going to have to spend Big this year & next as a start to get the ball rolling. But the top clubs will be squeezed out because of cap restrictions pretty quick. MFC plays it smart we can counter with 1-2 lucrative deals hopefully.

Gee Beamers manager sounds desperate in this article.

Compensation picks must be used this year

Indeed. Wonder where he found his manager. He started shopping around Round 6 or 7, wasn't it?

Heard last night on SEN regarding compensation that his top 10 finish in the Brownlow (2011) helps a little regarding the compensation. How much? I don't know.