• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Rivers and Gysberts to Geelong?

Weedster

Why dint he light up the Magoos Stuie ...huh.. Hes that good according to you.

Injured ?? oh thats right. Hes just been hard done by, hes misunderstood. Just not appreciated by Neeld . Actually in that youd be right, and hes not alone

Why dint he light up the Magoos Stuie ...huh.. Hes that good according to you.

Injured ?? oh thats right. Hes just been hard done by, hes misunderstood. Just not appreciated by Neeld . Actually in that youd be right, and hes not alone

Mate, you're tripping over yourself trying to make a point by responding to things I never said. Just make your own post. I never said Gysberts smashed it at Casey, I never said he's misunderstood or not appreciated, you're just making stuff up which ironically is my whole point.

Not making anything up Stuie.,

so set the record straight for all of us. enlighten us.

Do tell us why Gysberts is a lot better than some here ( myself included ) suppose.

Im not tripping over anything. Youve suggested hes been injured sufficiently so that his best I take it hasnt been allowed to surface. This correct or not ( by your view )

SO how do you see Gysberts in the grand scheme of things ?

IMO, Gysberts is a talented possession getter, and once he builds up his core strength may become a "floating" type of player in the mould of a James Hird style.

We've trained hard as a team ALL year, this is a big part of the reason why we struggled so much in games, pre-season training ran for the whole of the actual season, Gysberts had injuries that set him back from the pack and given his age he was unable to catch up. If he works hard before the pre-season he can catch up and then will show his skills and talent after more exposure to the new game plan. He played well at Casey in the second half of the year, was consistently in the best but due to his lack of match fitness did not get much of an opportunity at senior level. Knowing him personally, I can tell you he has no problems with Neeld or "buying in", and has worked hard this year to catch up, problem being the whole list was working just as hard so he was constantly behind.

Has given more glimpses of talent than many who have been kept on our list so far. I say he's worth giving 2 years (wouldn't sign for 1 IMO) as we won't get value for him at this stage, but should he fulfill his potential he will be a great player for us.

Now, I'll repeat to you, my whole point was about the ridiculous rumors about Gys' "attitude" started by a Demonland poster and for some reason accepted as truth after page upon page of repetition of the original rumor.

• Like 3

IMO, Gysberts is a talented possession getter, and once he builds up his core strength may become a "floating" type of player in the mould of a James Hird style.

Knowing him personally, I can tell you he has no problems with Neeld or "buying in", and has worked hard this year to catch up, problem being the whole list was working just as hard so he was constantly behind.

Now, I'll repeat to you, my whole point was about the ridiculous rumors about Gys' "attitude" started by a Demonland poster and for some reason accepted as truth after page upon page of repetition of the original rumor.

Hope you are right, we could do with a James Hird or two or three

As you know Jordan and, as you say, he has no problems buying in then lets hope he stays a Demon

We've trained hard as a team ALL year, this is a big part of the reason why we struggled so much in games, pre-season training ran for the whole of the actual season, Gysberts had injuries that set him back from the pack and given his age he was unable to catch up. If he works hard before the pre-season he can catch up and then will show his skills and talent after more exposure to the new game plan. He played well at Casey in the second half of the year, was consistently in the best but due to his lack of match fitness did not get much of an opportunity at senior level. Knowing him personally, I can tell you he has no problems with Neeld or "buying in", and has worked hard this year to catch up, problem being the whole list was working just as hard so he was constantly behind.

Has given more glimpses of talent than many who have been kept on our list so far. I say he's worth giving 2 years (wouldn't sign for 1 IMO) as we won't get value for him at this stage, but should he fulfill his potential he will be a great player for us.

I most certainly agree, Jordy, has been cruelled by injury but is as he has shown to be a very good reader of the ball inside and outside player. He is also a "Coachable" player and a very good honest young fellow (if my mail is right)

A definate keeper, I can see him becoming the next Alan Obst.!!!

Unfortunately I reckon Geelong might already be onto him.

I hope not, good and maybe great young players with first class attitudes are hard to find!

• Like 1

Correct on Riv.

People are talking Stef Martin to Collingwood, which may be true but I think we will possibly see Gysberts in black and white next year.

I have also heard that collingwood are very keen on Gysberts, with talks having taken place this week. If talent spotters like the cats and pies rate him, WTF would we be doing off loading him.

Also, Gerard Healy on AW said tonight that the Saints and Cats are both putting offers to Riv. Culturally I cant see how we can let him go....... great clubman we need to pay overs to.

• Like 2

Great clubman aside!

Riv was/is an excellent defender forced to play key attack due to lack of foresight by coaching panel and list managers!

This club is in a very delicate space player resource wise!

IMO Rivers must be kept as key defender!

I have also heard that collingwood are very keen on Gysberts, with talks having taken place this week. If talent spotters like the cats and pies rate him, WTF would we be doing off loading him.

Also, Gerard Healy on AW said tonight that the Saints and Cats are both putting offers to Riv. Culturally I cant see how we can let him go....... great clubman we need to pay overs to.

Never discount a shot over the bow.

The Coaches may be serious to trade, or maybe want to shake him out of complacency?

Either way it will be interesting to see, & things cannot stay as they were.

Gysberts is in contract, any trade will in the coaches minds be in our favour. I like what he does when he gets to the contest, the issue is he cant get to enough contests. I am happy if he stays but will not mind if we use him to obtain what we are after.

Rivers played some good roles this year and would be good mature filler in a variety of positions. I would not however have him as first or second choice in any of them. Again happy if he stays understand if he walks.

• Like 3

Gysberts is in contract, any trade will in the coaches minds be in our favour. I like what he does when he gets to the contest, the issue is he cant get to enough contests. I am happy if he stays but will not mind if we use him to obtain what we are after.

Rivers played some good roles this year and would be good mature filler in a variety of positions. I would not however have him as first or second choice in any of them. Again happy if he stays understand if he walks.

My take is thats why he was pushed forward, to keep him playing & adding maturity & a contest whilst we tried to get Watts 'Up n'' Go' ING. TMac is just a great kid & these 2 are crucial for us to get games of footy into, IMO.

The writing is on the wall. We are building for 2015ish. Riv isn't in the thinking. Nor Brent, nor Brad, nor Aron, & prob' not Steph.

My take is thats why he was pushed forward, to keep him playing & adding maturity & a contest whilst we tried to get Watts 'Up n'' Go' ING. TMac is just a great kid & these 2 are crucial for us to get games of footy into, IMO.

The writing is on the wall. We are building for 2015ish. Riv isn't in the thinking. Nor Brent, nor Brad, nor Aron, & prob' not Steph.

Ummmm wasn't he pushed forward because Clark got injured? Thought that was kinda obvious...

Ummmm wasn't he pushed forward because Clark got injured? Thought that was kinda obvious...

That was only part of it. IMO it gave us the reason to play Watts back with TMac, to get them used to the backline & to get Wattsy's intensity up a bit, by being responsible for our fate, in his hands.

He did OK & his kicking was handy, & IMO his composure suited. I'd still be hopeful he'll grow some intensity for the contest as he gets a taste for Winning & Starring.

Ok, well since Gerard is into Inquiries by the AFL, lets have one on this issue about players being approached before the 1st October, I think it's called poaching. Gerard can be called as the first witness to divulge where he got his info from. While we are at it, we can keep the inquiry going for a couple of months and sully the Saints and Cats image.

Loyalty?? That word unfortunately has no place in AFL and moreso at the MFC. If I were Riv I would be getting to Geelong as soon as i could. Playing footy for the reason you play footy, finals. With the cleanout we are having that will be atleast 3-4 years of being a threat in finals not just making up the numbers like Norf this year.

Riv is one of my faves and I want to see him in a successful side. I reckon his mate Greeny wished he went to collingwood when he had the chance.

We will cope, but it would be good if he stays.

My read is that it is up to him.

Loyalty or a chance for a flag.

See what happens.

Gysberts was recruited because he has elite hands, as well as his ball winning ability.

I would be very worried to let him go, because i still think he will develop into something special.

He has shown glimpses of such, no argument, in fact much of the cause of many's frustration with him.. Glimpses, no stringing together of much.

Hird ? big call. Doubt it. . Id be happy if he were a consistent Gysberts

Your call on this is somewhat different to the opinons of others I have who watched him play. Lacklustrre, disinterested and underdone were comments offered to me. Sporadic and occasional were others. Glimpses is s consistent theme. Now I shall say I havent been to Casey at all this year but I trust these opinions.

Hes not any real different in age to Blease or Watts for that matter and older than Tommy Mac. Cant see how thats an out personally but happy to differ on opinion.

I'll defer to the FD as to what they actually do ( big of me I know ) . For someone whos been in the system now for 3 years he should be much further down the path. Im totally not fussed should the club trade him. I would agree one year is a nonsense and two reasonable should the club decide to retain him.

Ill accept that hes bought in should he excel at the coming preseason, if hes there

From memory he is in the slowest running group at the start of the year and then did his ankle somewhere around round 1.

Its obvious elite fitness was never his strong suit and being unable to run is not going to help.

If he can stay injury free through this pre season i think we will see the kid step up...we would want to get a hell of a good deal if he's still under contract

Not making anything up Stuie.,

so set the record straight for all of us. enlighten us.

Do tell us why Gysberts is a lot better than some here ( myself included ) suppose.

Im not tripping over anything. Youve suggested hes been injured sufficiently so that his best I take it hasnt been allowed to surface. This correct or not ( by your view )

SO how do you see Gysberts in the grand scheme of things ?

Gysberts has played 21 games. Let me repeat that for you. 21 games. He is 20yo.

Can get his own footy which is more than 80% of our team can do.

Weighs more than Lucas Cook who is significantly taller.

A keeper for mine.

Gysberts was recruited because he has elite hands, as well as his ball winning ability.

I would be very worried to let him go, because i still think he will develop into something special.

Oh well, if he can't cut it in the AFL he can always become a Glove Model. Or do SnickerS Adds.

Gysberts has played 21 games. Let me repeat that for you. 21 games. He is 20yo.

Gysberts is 21 yo 19 games

Tommy Mac 19 22 games

Trengove 21 ( just ) 59 games

Watts 21 55 games

Tappscott 29 games

Blease 21 21 games

source mfc

theyre really just numbers. You could mount arguments for all sorts of things.