Herald Sun reports Gysberts to be shown the door...Neeld has gone mad!!!

Tex

Just to put into perspective the strength that Gysberts needs, Jobe Watson is the same height and weighs 10 kilos more and Pendlebury weighs 7 kilos more. We're talking pure power here, not to mention confidence.

If he can get fit and bulk up in the upper body he can be a player. It's up to him.

• Like 2

Maybe Tex, who wants Neeld sacked immediately, could suggest who we should apparent as his successor? Of course it would be best if we appointed, some gun multi premiership coach, but for a six month probationary period and then sack him mid 2013 when we are anything but top 4.

Should be really easy to find someone, who is really really good, on those terms, especially with such a quality list to work with.

There's quite a few multi premiership coaches who are available: RDB, of course; also Tommy Hafey, Lethal Leigh and David Parkin.

Just to put into perspective the strength that Gysberts needs, Jobe Watson is the same height and weighs 10 kilos more and Pendlebury weighs 7 kilos more. We're talking pure power here, not to mention confidence.

If he can get fit and bulk up in the upper body he can be a player. It's up to him.

BH , you go to the core of the matter ; Gys has none !!

While I'm on the same page BH regarding the potential Gys movement from MFC how much older are both of those players compared to Gys? How many years of "preseason, AFL" in those guys to Gys? Stats fitting your thoughts rather than like for like.... Come now.

And we're talking years of hard work in the "elite" system as well, very little which has been afforded Gys. Very much afforded to the other 2. In saying that I agree it is also completely up to the player as well as $$ spent on footy depts.

Gys - 1991

Watson – 1985!

Pendles – 1988!

If this is true, then this is the last straw for me.

I cannot express my anger enough with the MFC and Mark Neeld.

I am doing my utmost to write this without swearing and abusing the above mentioned.

As if coming 16th was bad enough after we were predicted to be pushing for finals at the start of the season.

Then losing Jurrah for nothing. Really well managed there boys.

Neeld completely stuffed Moloney's year up by trying to change his game plan to being more defensive. Moloney who at 28 years old and in his absolute prime and our reigning B & F winner. Where did that get Moloney and our club??? 16th and see ya later.

Petterd... gone backwards under Neeld, who was on the verge of super stardom in my opinion.

Bennell gone backwards.

Trengove and Grimes named co-captains. Give me a break. Another terrible, terrible decision. Trengove gone backwards.

There's a theme here.

As for his pathetic game plan of hugging the boundary and kicking it into the pockets, well that really worked didn't it!!!

16th.

How about kick it to the most dangerous spot in-between FF and CHF.

Under Neelds guidance and fitness philosophy he demanded during last pres-season that players needed to build their aerobic capacity at the expense of everything else.

All we heard about was that they were running running running.

Well none of them put any bloody weight on.

Morton is still a stick.

Watts lost weight.

Cook has not developed one iota and has ended up in the VFL reserves and now both parties want out. Awesome. Well done. Another first round pick stuffed up. Jack Darling says hi.

The team has gone completely backwards under Neeld. Our game plan was pathetic.

And now I read that he wants to get rid of Gysberts.

Why? Seriously?

Is he trying to ruin our club? Gysberts is a ball magnet. He was a gun in his first few games before injury.

Gysberts needs to develop his body, just as Watts, Bennell, Cook, Morton and all our other stick figures.

How the hell are they supposed to under Neelds fanatical aerobic regime of runnning running running.

This is non-conducive to developing bodies and putting on weight.

I want Neeld out before he ruins our club anymore.

I want Gysberts to stay a Demon.

On draft day I desperately wanted Tahlia, but that moron picked Gysberts.

I haven' changed my mind on the pick, but i have conceded Gysberts was a decent pick and has massive upside once he develops a mature body.

So on the day Tahlia wins the Rising Star award I read Neeld wants Gysberts out.

I will not accept this under any circumstances. From my understanding Gysberts has been struggling all year with injury.

He thrives and excels in the Demons team. He is one that steps up easily in the highest level.

Was he given an opportunity this year by Neeld? No!!!

I will absolute spew if Gysberts is sacked or traded. There is no way we will get what he is worth.

Neeld has rocks in his head.

There is no way we should be sacking two of our lowly draft picks without developing them properly. He has no idea what he is doing.

What a pathetic year.

16th.

And we added Mitch Clarke to our team.

We went backwards enormously.

Wake up people. Stop accepting this [censored] spin.

He is absoluelty ruining this club and I want him out. I want Neeld sacked now.

Wow, hate to add salt but this is old news. We have discussed this a bit in the Cook thread

Seriously, is weight such an important issue? If Gyberts has enough speed, confidence and endurance then I don't care if he's 45 or 90kg. When he got 53 possessions in his first two games I didn't hear anyone talking about how skinny he was. Lewis Jetta is very thin but everyone praises him.

Secondly, upon hearing Gysberts is leaving, why bag him instead of feeling sorry for him? No one has a clue what they're talking about, he has played 1 game this season and before that no one questioned his ability and thought he'd be a star of our future. Stop guessing potential flaws in his game just because he hasn't been picked this year. Maybe Neeld just doesn't like his attitude.

• Like 1

I have a bit of trust in what Neeld is trying to achieve so personally i feel that Neelds actions will answer whether gysberts is the right type for this club. If Neeld decides to keep him then ill see that as an indication hes got potential. If not, then i believe it means we're not losing much. I agree with neelds style and demands he puts on players. If he doesnt think a player is good enough then ill go with his decision. we're all just passengers on this reality bus trip

• Like 1

Seriously, is weight such an important issue? If Gyberts has enough speed, confidence and endurance then I don't care if he's 45 or 90kg. When he got 53 possessions in his first two games I didn't hear anyone talking about how skinny he was. Lewis Jetta is very thin but everyone praises him.

Secondly, upon hearing Gysberts is leaving, why bag him instead of feeling sorry for him? No one has a clue what they're talking about, he has played 1 game this season and before that no one questioned his ability and thought he'd be a star of our future. Stop guessing potential flaws in his game just because he hasn't been picked this year. Maybe Neeld just doesn't like his attitude.

He has none of these things which is why his size is such an issue.

• Like 1

There are plenty of players that don't have elite traits running around in the AFL. You only have to look at our side.

But if you want to make it as a mid in the AFL you have to either hurt with your possessions, or your running, or negating skills, or speed, or clearance ability ... Gysberts is very good at clearances at VFL level, but he needs an extra 8 kilos at AFL level.

Deficiencies can be hidden in certain parts of the ground, but if you're only capable of being one of the starting 5 mids, such as Gysberts, you've got to have elite traits. He doesn't*. Plenty of players don't cut it as a midfielder at AFL level and end up on a half back flank, or doing some other role, but Gysberts skill-sets are purely that of a mid. It's mid or bust for Jordan.

Gysberts is a great height, so if he can put on 8-10 kilos and improve his running by a good margin then he most definitely can succeed at AFL level, as he's also got a very good footy brain.

But how much does he want it ?

*his clearance ability could be elite at AFL level, but not with his body.

Great post Ben. You make some great points. Only part where I differ is about Gys being a mid or bust. Having seen him play since early high school, I can tell you that if he can get a bit more strength, especially core strength, he can be a real weapon in a floating role not unlike James Hird used to do. I kid you not, he has THAT much talent. He is working hard, I can tell you guys that, but you never know, he could end up being a Morton and never being able to get the strength happening.

I would be really disappointed to see him cut at this stage, but at the same time I can understand and appreciate Neeld's sense of urgency.

• Like 1

While I'm on the same page BH regarding the potential Gys movement from MFC how much older are both of those players compared to Gys? How many years of "preseason, AFL" in those guys to Gys? Stats fitting your thoughts rather than like for like.... Come now.

What you're saying is reasonable, but I've seen so little progression I question his commitment to these issues.

Cue: the injuries excuse.

I'd be pretty disappointed if he left. Lots of time has been given to other raw recruits and he's had a few injuries. He actually displayed decent inside and outside work, and has good attributes, albeit nothing too amazing at this stage. The only reason he would leave if Misson has told MN that he's many years off where he needs to be (conditioning, strength, and endurance wise) and MN has others in mind for a similar role.

• Like 1

I usually defer to the good judgement of the football department because, after all, they know a lot more that me and it's their necks that are on the line if they get things wrong.

But given the fact that Jordan Gysberts has had such an injury riddled season, I wonder at the suggestion that he is up for trade by the club.

Looking back at some of press of his performances in the past, I came up with these two items:-

Jordan Gysberts key to Melbourne's engine room

Melbourne Demons toughen up to upset Essendon

MELBOURNE rallied from a testing week to blitz Essendon in the second half to set up a 33-point win at the MCG.

The Demons smashed Essendon in the third term 6.2 to 0.1 and withstood the Bombers' last-quarter rally to win 15.11 (101) to 10.8 (68).

Melbourne midfielder Jordan Gysberts was best afield with 30 possessions and captain Brad Green led his team superbly, kicking four goals.

I remember that game against Essendon from last year. We had a young midfield and Gysberts was the star of the on ballers (with his current body). We have very few players who can pick up 30 possessions in a game and I'm stumped as to we wouldn't give him a shot at another pre season to develop him as a player unless we have a very good trade in mind to replace him.

I reckon you got it right even from a guess.I'm not sure he'll go but I know he is expected to work his arse off if he stays.
  • Like 1

As I said on the Moving On thread, I would be happy to keep Gys if he dedicated himself to improving his endurance and core strength, starting today. However from what I have heard his attitude is all wrong and he is unlikely to commit to the work. That is the real issue here, not his undoubted talent.

Maybe we ask him if he is prepared to buddy up with Jones for the off season.

• Like 1

As I said on the Moving On thread, I would be happy to keep Gys if he dedicated himself to improving his endurance and core strength, starting today. However from what I have heard his attitude is all wrong and he is unlikely to commit to the work. That is the real issue here, not his undoubted talent.

Maybe we ask him if he is prepared to buddy up with Jones for the off season.

I have heard the same .

Attitudes can be "adjusted".

Ball magnets are worth it .

Doesn't seem like any adjustment going to happen any time soon I take it.

He's had a year ... same year as other players to decide.

Steve Johnson

Bernie Vince

just two examples of talented players who had attitude problems early in their careers, but are still with the same club and have now become guns

Gary Ablett Jnr., too.

Not sure what Gys is thinking if he wants to leave Melbourne. If he's not happy with the workload and changes to training at melbourne i'm not too sure where he is going to go? Melbourne is only embracing training and intensity which is required and being completed at almost every other AFL club. If he thinks he can just switch teams and play 22 games a season he is kidding himself.

Maybe MN has put out the ultimatum for Gys... work harder or you won't get a game and maybe that's the reason why rumours have come up about Gys leaving? I'm not sure whether it's a good idea to just drop him after a few injury prone seasons. I think it'd be a good idea to give him another preseason, see if he can change his attitude like blease and hopefully become a key to our midfield in years to come.

• Like 2

The Question i ask is...Will Gysberts ever get to the level of the midfielders we saw on show last night?

Pick number 11.

I just shake my head at how we have screwed ourselves.

Nobody else to blame.

Will any of our players get anywhere near the quality of that Hawks team? I long for those days! Was amazing footy, most noticeably to me the speed and momentum of the clearances