As an American fan...

AmericanDemon

I've been trying to find some things to watch or read about the club. I really want to get Jim Stynes book, but haven't been able to yet. I've watched a documentory on Jim on YouTube, I believe it was called Every Heart Beats True (I as very saddened that I was only a Demons fan for a little over a year when he died. What an amazing man he was.) Are there any other videos out there? Or classic matches I should watch? I'd love if anyone could link me to anything cool about the club. I'm kind of a nerd and love reading about club history, great players, great moments and such. Thanks for the help guys!

Get the red fox book on norm smith if you love history this is a must

Googled it and found a free preview on Google Books, looks amazing, and you inadvertently helped my find a poem (or could be the lyrics to a song, i'm not sure) i'd come across two years ago, and have been looking everywhere for. The one that's right before the first chapter, titled Smithy"

Are you an Australian living abroad, or a curious American?

Anyway, I recommend Norm Smith's book "Red Fox", also.

I'm an American fan of the Demons. Been a fan of the Dees for two years now, and a fan of AFL for probably around 4 years, but didn't have a favorite team the first few seasons and only occasionally watched games.

Googled it and found a free preview on Google Books, looks amazing, and you inadvertently helped my find a poem (or could be the lyrics to a song, i'm not sure) i'd come across two years ago, and have been looking everywhere for. The one that's right before the first chapter, titled Smithy"

it is a big book but well worth the read there is also a book about the history of the MFC and a dvd 2 from memory

welcome to the MFC you must be a sucker for punishment

edit: there is a dvd called its a grand old flag which is pretty much the history of the club and there is also a few highlight dvds around can buy them off ebay pretty cheap

Edited by wattsup

Get "Russel Robertson Higher" its a music album done by Russel Robertson a recent former great footballer from melbourne. I haven't listened to it, nor do i want to lol. Heard him sing on the footy show and at a grand final or maybe Queens birthday clash i think and he was horrible. But maybe you should find it somewhere, download it, whatever and check it out.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard American Demon,

There's plenty of great games you can order through this mob - http://www.sportsdelivered.com/afl-name-a-game/

As Grun Dee said above the 1994 finals matches against Carlton and Footscray (Western Bulldogs now) show us playing some pretty exciting footy.

Another recommendation would be the Elimination Final from 1987, Melbourne v Nth Melbourne. We hadn't played finals in 23 years and just exploded!

I'm an American fan of the Demons. Been a fan of the Dees for two years now, and a fan of AFL for probably around 4 years, but didn't have a favorite team the first few seasons and only occasionally watched games.

I am so very truly sorry for you that you chose Melbourne.

But, no refunds!

• Like 1

Welcome AD - Why on earth would you choose MFC as your team? Most of us have the misfortune to have been born with the curse. Hang tough we'll come good one day.

I'm always curious as to how/why people support the team they do - can you give us a brief story about how/why AD?

There was a youtube thread on here but searching for it I couldn't find anything (would be good to sticky that thread).

Try searching for these games/players on youtube

1987 Round 22 Melbourne v Footscray

1987 Finals games

1988 Elimination Final Melb v West Coast

1988 Semi-Final Melb v Collingwood (there was a fight before the game even started)

1994 Qualifying Final Melb v Carlton

1994 Semi-Final Melb v Footscray

2000 Qualifying Final Melb v Carlton

Allen Jakovich

David Schwarz

Jeff Farmer

Also this youtube page is for all 1980's stuff not just Melbourne but there's tonnes there and plenty of MFC as well

http://www.youtube.com/user/aussie80s/videos

Hi American Demon,

A great game too watch is the 1994 final against Carlton. Awesome result! Schwarz at his best.

Who do you follow in the NFL? Im a huge NFL fan!

I watch that game when ever my day is crap. It lightens my mood every time. Go Vikings by the way.

If you have access to an Amazon Kindle device or Kindle on a mobile device (iPad, iPhone, Android phone, MacBook etc), you can get the Jim Stynes book from Amazon US's Kindle store.

Search for C'mon Demons on YouTube and be astonished as to what passed for entertainment in Australia in the late 80's.

And then turn on channel 7 or 9 and see how much things have improved...

• Like 2