The Club's Intentions - Trade/Draft

Hells Gates

HG....if you are able. Is it fair to say that the clubs been scouring far and wide, long and hard building up a picture of whos out there . And that ther'yve been doing this since the FD/recruiting team was formed ? I.e anticipating the holes in the list ?

And that's called a 'dorothy dixer' in politics!

And that's called a 'dorothy dixer' in politics!

whilst it might seem that way I was simply making sure this is indeed what the clubs been doing.

simply that

Excuse me? Game? I stir WYL up all the time, he's fine with that, well I hope so.

I have said nothing that will bring the club into jeopardy. I have shared information in the first post that I would think would be of interest. The rest of the posts are purely my opinion without going into detail. I choose very carefully what I can and can't write Hardnut.

I take offence to what you have written. It is posts like yours that will stop me from sharing anything again.

I never take any comment on D/Land personally HG and I don't make personal comments other than in humour. It's soft to take offence at anything said on D/land and more so to stop posting if you believe in what you are saying. I've copped a lot for my comments - I'll wear that - you are not alone.

HG, interesting stuff as usual. You noted early in the season, and again more recently that Neeld had gone very hard early on and may well have 'lost' some players. I shared those concerns early on, was prepared to wait and see but certainly he took a pretty full on approach that carries a great deal of risk.

But i have changed my mind on this recently. I suspect that Neeld knew right from the get go he would be ruthless with cutting players etc at the end of this season and i think had a pretty good idea how few players were up to his requirements. Cutting Cook (which i just found out about and was pretty bloody surprised about - but it is an incredibly gutsy call) is an example of how ruthless he will be.

Given this, a full on approach perhaps was necessary - no point building strong relationships with players who you are going to axe, in no small part due the risk they might want to stay (eg Moloney). If that means losing someone like Rivers then so be it. Perhaps he was prepared to be hated by his players (and perhaps even feared) if that is what it takes to turn this club around. Taking that approach takes some courage, particulalry as a first time coach who if he fails at Melbourne may well never coach senior footy again. One presumes he has the backing of the board with this approach.

This is a root and branch rebuild and it is absolutely necessary. He can start building a strong interpersonal relationship with his acolytes, a point made well by a poster somewhere in this thread. He needs a team who play for him and do whatever is asked of him. A team of Neeldbots.

As you point out a there are massive risks with this approach, not least of which being not getting good enough players but also that enough players won't buy in. But in my view it would be a greater risk to keep any players on the list who are not 100% committed to Neeld's vision.

This is such a crucial trading period. I share your concerns but perhaps am a little more confident about our capacity to attract senior players as i suspect some players will be sold by Neeld's fanaticism, despite the rumblings of discontent from exiting and even some players who are staying. I'm sure also that the thoroughness you talk about will net us a WAFL, VFL or SANFL player who will come straight into the side and buy into the Neeld regime.

Edited by binman
  • Like 6

Not in my opinion. Not by a long shot. So much upside to Martin IMO - back, front, ruck - FFS look at our list ! For a 2nd round kid - no thanks !!!

Fair enough, but this is a new era.

Selfish, undisciplined players who have not developed are going...going....gone.

No upside to Stef - just a list clogger.

Not in my opinion. Not by a long shot. So much upside to Martin IMO - back, front, ruck - FFS look at our list ! For a 2nd round kid - no thanks !!!

Except once he gets the ball in any of those positions he runs round like a chook with its head cut off. I've seen 10 year olds with a greater football brain than Martin.

He can pinch hit in the ruck but we have contracted Jamar for 3 yrs and have Spencer and cant play forward or back.

Where do I sign?

I can wait a year for Hogan. He'll be 19 for the start of 2014 with a body ready to go. He already makes Watts look like a toothpick. They don't call him the man-child for nothing. And if he's as good as many believe he'll hold down CHF for a decade. You can build a side around that sort of player.

I like what I've heard of Hogan and would wait an extra year if it meant getting a gun POWER forward. I haven't seen him play but I've heard there are some queries on his kicking (as in his accuracy for goal). The risk you also take is that he dominates juniors due to his size but may struggle to step it up in the big leagues. Of course that is obviously preferable to being a skinny twig.

If we could get Hogan in the under 17 draft, Viney, Toumpas/Stringer plus Caddy it would look like being a very good outcome for us.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo

I never take any comment on D/Land personally HG and I don't make personal comments other than in humour. It's soft to take offence at anything said on D/land and more so to stop posting if you believe in what you are saying. I've copped a lot for my comments - I'll wear that - you are not alone.

For crying out lout Hardnut, I have no issues with you speaking out against Neeld, it's your opinion.

But this thread is the most informative, least infuriating thing on Demonland right now. If you wanna question it, do it in your head, don't ruin a perfectly good discussion.

HG has had very good information before, and is a hell of a lot more credible than 99.9% of the bozos who post here (you and I included). Don't take a dump on its head please!

• Like 6

Hells Gates my comments were not about disagreeing with you, it was disagreeing with the comment (allegedly) made by the club that they didn't want to take skinny kids any more.

I only referred to your post because that was the post that contained the comments about the club's view.

I understand you are only passing on information you have heard – thanks for posting and I look forward to reading more.

Ben Hur – Agree, Cook was not best available, and the strange thing is his type wasn't even a 'need' for us. I was after a midfielder with pace with that pick, yet we drafted a guy with similar attributes to a player already on our list (Watts). I could have perhaps understood if they went after a big pack-crashing key forward as that was a need (and possibly still is), but to draft another lead-up type forward with our first round pick was a very odd selection.

Toumpas, or O'Rourke would replace Scully.

I can wait a year for Hogan. He'll be 19 for the start of 2014 with a body ready to go. He already makes Watts look like a toothpick. They don't call him the man-child for nothing. And if he's as good as many believe he'll hold down CHF for a decade. You can build a side around that sort of player.

At pick 13 you may decide on a player like Stringer who'll be ready to play in the AFL from day one.

Viney second round would cap off a great draft irrespective of later picks.

Jesse Hogan:

Jake Stringer:

Do you think these two beasts can fit into Neeld's plans ?

Not to mention the body of Jack Viney, who'll play as a 19 year old next year and be even bigger after a preseason:

We have a chance to massively change our club in one draft if we get it right.

And these are top-line "J's" that may replace ordinary "J's".

Jimmy Toumpas, Jonathan O'Rourke, Jesse Hogan, Jake Stringer and Jack Viney.

One of Toumpas or O'Rourke, plus Stringer and Viney would run out in round one next year. And if it's not Stringer they'll be other quality picks ready to go at pick 13.

FINALLY Ben-Hur someone to get it right! Couldn't agree more! I think Neeld will go for ready to go first year players, hopfully Toumpas at 3 and Stringer at 13 will be available. Although I wouldn't be surprized if Wines was selected as he too is ready to roll.

Edited by ignition.
  • Like 1

Are we any chance to Quinten Lynch for KPP?

he's only 192 cm but he's 103 kg and is an absolute tank! watching his highlight reel and monsters a lot of his opponents.

hes 29 and a Free agent - maybe a 2 year deal? Would give any young draftees some time to mature

not sure of his physical state though... does any one know

Does any one think he'll be a good fit?

• Like 1

Are we any chance to Quinten Lynch for KPP?

he's only 192 cm but he's 103 kg and is an absolute tank! watching his highlight reel and monsters a lot of his opponents.

hes 29 and a Free agent - maybe a 2 year deal? Would give any young draftees some time to mature

not sure of his physical state though... does any one know

Does any one think he'll be a good fit?

Why would he go?

Why would he come?

Edited by jumbo returns