The Club's Intentions - Trade/Draft

Hells Gates

Shane Tuck, Knights,Chapman, Q Lynch, Young, Byrnes & Scotland still remain unsigned. Think the club should be looking at Young & also Ellis at Hawthorn. It's obviously very hard to get players like Scotland or Chapman across but the club should be looking at being creative with their player payments to start the influx of players coming across. I'd be tempted to pay overs of maybe 30-50 % to bring someone like Chapman across even if it was for one or two years. Our list is terrible, paying overs for a couple of players (some may call them mercenaries) to get them across & start the ball rolling may be necessary. We payed what most people thought was overs for Clark & look how that turned out.

• Like 3

Thanks for that, all sounds very reasonable.

Would love to get Ratten back. I was always a fan, and was personally told by players that he was an awesome midfield coach when he was at Melbourne.

And lets hope that our Scully replacement comes with not just better disposal, but also better moral judgement and without a fat father.

What I like jaded is the living out of that motto: never forgive; never forget. I endorse it wholeheartedly.

Good stuff 'Gates .... thanks for sharing. Sounds very reasonable to me. I like what I've heard about Sheahan, and I love the Ratten thought if he's comfortable with Neeld and an Assistant's role with a crap team. However, I reckon he's a strong chance to go to Port, and if not take a media gig for 12 months before considering his coaching future. Time will tell!

While it does appear that Melbourne are unattractive to players from others teams, it's not as if lots of players are shifting around at the moment. Boak appeared to be heading back to Victoria and he ended up staying. Players still seem very reluctant to change clubs unless forced out or _sometimes_ to get to their home state. The lure of being one club players is still pretty strong it seems in the AFL.

Edit: Even IF (yes a big IF) we have been successful in luring a good player to our club, are we even allowed to announce it yet?

Edited by S_T
  • Like 1

where did you hear that from?

Like everyone else on this site I have my sources. Believe or not, your call.

After hearing about it though I thought it was a feasibility, he would be in our best 22 when uninjured. Not sure what we would give up for him. Pick 13 would be to much imo.

Maybe a late 2nd rounder we secure through other trades/FA compo + Petterd? *Shrugs*

Basically what I already knew or expected to happen.

Not sure what experienced players the club can attract now. Cloke's pay expectations were quite clearly a turnoff for the club.

Toumpas, or O'Rourke would replace Scully.

I can wait a year for Hogan. He'll be 19 for the start of 2014 with a body ready to go. He already makes Watts look like a toothpick. They don't call him the man-child for nothing. And if he's as good as many believe he'll hold down CHF for a decade. You can build a side around that sort of player.

At pick 13 you may decide on a player like Stringer who'll be ready to play in the AFL from day one.

Viney second round would cap off a great draft irrespective of later picks.

Jesse Hogan:

jzoei.jpg

Jake Stringer:

2rgCm.jpg

Do you think these two beasts can fit into Neeld's plans ?

Not to mention the body of Jack Viney, who'll play as a 19 year old next year and be even bigger after a preseason:

nSnIM.jpg

We have a chance to massively change our club in one draft if we get it right.

And these are top-line "J's" that may replace ordinary "J's".

Jimmy Toumpas, Jonathan O'Rourke, Jesse Hogan, Jake Stringer and Jack Viney.

One of Toumpas or O'Rourke, plus Stringer and Viney would run out in round one next year. And if it's not Stringer they'll be other quality picks ready to go at pick 13.

• Like 9

Is this from the club? ie. we wont take him with 1st round

Is this from the club? ie. we wont take him with 1st round

We will only have to make a decision about using our first selection on Viney if either of the teams that finished below us - GWS and GC - bid for him with their first pick. General consensus at the moment is that they will not do so.

"FOR every nominated father-son player, each club in the competition has the option to bid for the player, in reverse ladder order. If a bid is made, the club that nominated the father-son player must use its next available selection if it wishes to retain its hold on that player."

Toumpas, or O'Rourke would replace Scully.

I can wait a year for Hogan. He'll be 19 for the start of 2014 with a body ready to go. He already makes Watts look like a toothpick. They don't call him the man-child for nothing. And if he's as good as many believe he'll hold down CHF for a decade. You can build a side around that sort of player.

At pick 13 you may decide on a player like Stringer who'll be ready to play in the AFL from day one.

Viney second round would cap off a great draft irrespective of later picks.

Jesse Hogan:

jzoei.jpg

Jake Stringer:

2rgCm.jpg

Do you think these two beasts can fit into Neeld's plans ?

Not to mention the body of Jack Viney, who'll play as a 19 year old next year and be even bigger after a preseason:

nSnIM.jpg

We have a chance to massively change our club in one draft if we get it right.

And these are top-line "J's" that may replace ordinary "J's".

Jimmy Toumpas, Jonathan O'Rourke, Jesse Hogan, Jake Stringer and Jack Viney.

One of Toumpas or O'Rourke, plus Stringer and Viney would run out in round one next year. And if it's not Stringer they'll be other quality picks ready to go at pick 13.

Good post.

Toumpas, Hogan, Stringer, Viney I like.

The club knows its running out of time to keep members on side.

The club must hold its nerve and get the balance right.

I don't want to see half a team of reliable, strong second-tier players running around just to appease the nervous nellies.

• Like 3

All makes sense so we can expect to see one of our talls go in deal, maybe martin to Collinwood. Would we want dawes, is wellingham still unsigned?

I had Chapman in my starting line up on another thread and still think he is the sort of player Neeld is looking at.

I suspect we are going to be creative this year at who we pick up.

Just a question referenced to the OP...When the club means a TS replacement.. I take it they mean what he was SUPPOSED to be and not what hes panned out to be so far ?

So theyre looking for a gun mid other than JV and looking to use a high-ish pick ?

The club must hold its nerve and get the balance right.

I don't want to see half a team of reliable, strong second-tier players running around just to appease the nervous nellies.

Agree 100%.

Hells Gates I cannot agree with that skinny kids comment. We need to draft the best players and if those players take 3 years to develop rather than be ready made then so be it.

I'm not interested in seeing a team of mediocre players running around even if they can instantly produce better results next year. In fact I'd be disgusted if we ignore a kid who we think will be a better player in favour of a more ready-made but less talented player.

The club would be mistaken if they think a more competitive side next year is the answer. The most important thing is for supporters to have hope and to see that the team is capable of developing into something special.

• Like 3

Just a question referenced to the OP...When the club means a TS replacement.. I take it they mean what he was SUPPOSED to be and not what hes panned out to be so far ?

So theyre looking for a gun mid other than JV and looking to use a high-ish pick ?

As I said in my original post I'm not sure what pick they will use, that is the clubs decision.

Yes what he was meant to be.

The club is after a KPF & 3 elite midfielders, including Viney.

Agree 100%.

Hells Gates I cannot agree with that skinny kids comment. We need to draft the best players and if those players take 3 years to develop rather than be ready made then so be it.

I'm not interested in seeing a team of mediocre players running around even if they can instantly produce better results next year. In fact I'd be disgusted if we ignore a kid who we think will be a better player in favour of a more ready-made but less talented player.

The club would be mistaken if they think a more competitive side next year is the answer. The most important thing is for supporters to have hope and to see that the team is capable of developing into something special.

I wouldnt have a problem if we only take the approach for a year. Recently we've only drafted the talented skinny kids, finding the balance is the key

• Like 1

Agree 100%.

Don't shoot the messenger Scoop. I'm just sharing inside information. Those views are NOT mine they are the clubs so I don't really care if you don't agree.

I wrote that to give Dees supporters some insightful information, not for you to pick holes in.

I guess at the end of day the new FD will do what they think is best for the MFC, and I back them to make the right decisions.

Time to step out of the comfort zone and start winning games of football.

• Like 3

is there any chance we could trade players (eg rivers, gysberts & or any draft pics) to get vardy from the cats?

i heard they need a defender to replace scarlett and that the cats have expressed some interest in developing gysberts.

was hoping we would draft him a few years back, but instead we went for gawn and fitzpatrick, who both have had thier injury troubles but dont really look like natural footballers, and often look awkward playing.

i know he has had an injury trouble, but i think vardy would be an excelent inclusion into our forward line, and would be handy as a back up ruckman. at 198cm he moves exceptionally well, has good attack on the ball, is a solid grab, a good shot on goal, and for a young KPP has a real presence.

Not sure of his situation at the cats, is there any chance they would let him go or that we could grab him?

Interesting If we Trade Martin, but maybe instead of Vardy, we could grab Brodie Grundy, and still trade Gysberts to them for they're 1st pick.

Rivers will still go IMO & we'll be compensated.

Don't shoot the messenger Scoop. I'm just sharing inside information. Those views are NOT mine they are the clubs so I don't really care if you don't agree.

I wrote that to give Dees supporters some insightful information, not for you to pick holes in.

I guess at the end of day the new FD will do what they think is best for the MFC, and I back them to make the right decisions.

Time to step out of the comfort zone and start winning games of football.

Read his post again HG, he wasn't shooting the messenger, he was shooting the message.

I happen to agree and I am not shooting at you, I actually commended you earlier and hope you will have more to post as we go along. I also feel that this is our last chance to get things right and that means drafting the best players, not drafting to win a few games and save a Coach's job. I don't think Mark will take that approach and I am happy to watch talent grow and develop if you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. For example if Jesse Hogan is that good and we can get him but not play him until 2014, IMO we get him. I will be happy to wait if I can see what we are creating. Recruiting a bunch of nearly over the hills is not the way to rebuild, but again I don't see Mark doing that.

Keep the news coming. It's a good read.

• Like 1

Agree 100%.

Exactly

It's so easy to get rid of players, it's replacing them that counts.

If we get a whole lot more Magners next season I'll spew (no offense to Magner).

No point winning a few more games next year, I want to win a premiership and you don't win those with mature second-tier mids.

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 1

I do agree with Scoop.

Take the best available. If they're skinny great and if it's a beast like Jake Stringer great.

No-one will convince me that Lucas Cook was "best available". I can only deem that they saw it as a need. And they certainly shouldn't be pandering to supporters.

Edited by Ben-Hur
  • Like 3

Interesting If we Trade Martin, but maybe instead of Vardy, we could grab Brodie Grundy, and still trade Gysberts to them for they're 1st pick.

Rivers will still go IMO & we'll be compensated.

Dee-luded if Gysberts is worth their No.1 pick we should be keeping him.

However he is not so I think the best you could expect would for him to be part of some player trade arrangement.

Geelong are not that silly

I do agree with Scoop.

Take the best available. If they're skinny great and if it's a beast like Jake Stringer great.

No-one will convince me that Lucas Cook was "best available". I can only deem that they saw it as a need. And they certainly shouldn't be pandering to supporters.

BH I think they saw AA next to his name and that was it!