The Club's Intentions - Trade/Draft

Hells Gates

Hi All,

Here is some info that may be news to some and common dog to others. But I'll share it anyway as I fly out to work tomorrow. Dont shoot the messenger.

This is what I've heard first hand from people in command. The horses mouth.

1. Neelds first & foremost priority is to replace Tom Scully before anything else. The club see's Tom as a loss and are targetting a player with similar traits (on field). While Toms disposal efficiency wasnt the greatest he was quick, broke the lines & was professional. The club is actively seeking players for eg: David Mackay from Adelaide who has good skills, quick and works hard defensively. I have copped criticism for bringing up disposal efficiency in the past with posters saying it isnt relevant, well the club certainly is taking this stat seriously. What picks they will use or how they go about it I'm not sure but we did lose a #1 draft pick.

2. The club is very keen to get another power forward onboard. Whether this is through free agency, trade or draft I'm unsure but they are certainly active. A name that keeps popping up is Jesse Hogan in the U17 mini-draft. I'd say if we cant get an experienced KPF then this will be an option for the club.

3. After the above two I hear that we are keen to get 3 quality mids with the club hoping to bring 1-2 experienced heads & one being Jack Viney providing we pick him up as a second rounder. The problem being that the pickings for quality experienced mids in their mid 20's are slim pickings now. May need to rely on the draft.

4. Club is hoping for 2 free agents - but it looks like slim pickings now.

This is the concerning thing for me & the club is its ok to delist the deadwood so long as you replace with better players. A lot of top draft picks and players OOC will hold no currency at trade time - thats scary.

After TS replacement, KPF, 3 mids - I have no idea what the clubs intentions are, I'll leave that for you guys to discuss. Obviously I can't reel off names etc that havent been mentioned and have to be careful the way I present things but what I can say is the club is very active & have been for months & are leaving no stone unturned. Expect a few suprises if all goes well but also get worried about replacements if it doesnt pan out, the club may have no option but to rewind the clock and rebuild with kids again. The major concern is that the MFC is not attractive to players at the moment.

I look forward to October but one part of me is very nervous at who we can attract/draft. We will NOT draft skinny kids, we will be after players who are ready to go Round 1, 2013 - The club knows its running out of time to keep members on side.

Curve balls that I'd keep an eye on: (These are not the views of the club but my own, chinese whispers)

Stef Martin to be traded.

Jai Sheahan to be upgraded as a KPF prospect.

Clint Bartram/Aaron Davey to retire.

Jared Rivers to chase success.

Royal out, Ratten in.

Bruce & Junior offered a mentoring role off field.

Players brought in from Adelaide, WA & Brisbane.

Anyway all the best this week, I fly back to work tomorrow, dont stress out too much - its only a game remember!!

PS: I dont intend to be the worlds best speller or have elite punctuation, all I do is get it in text well enough for you to read! I dont work in an office. :)

• Like 23

thanks HG..this may want to be moved to the other board

is there any chance we could trade players (eg rivers, gysberts & or any draft pics) to get vardy from the cats?

i heard they need a defender to replace scarlett and that the cats have expressed some interest in developing gysberts.

was hoping we would draft him a few years back, but instead we went for gawn and fitzpatrick, who both have had thier injury troubles but dont really look like natural footballers, and often look awkward playing.

i know he has had an injury trouble, but i think vardy would be an excelent inclusion into our forward line, and would be handy as a back up ruckman. at 198cm he moves exceptionally well, has good attack on the ball, is a solid grab, a good shot on goal, and for a young KPP has a real presence.

Not sure of his situation at the cats, is there any chance they would let him go or that we could grab him?

• Like 1

is there any chance we could trade players (eg rivers, gysberts & or any draft pics) to get vardy from the cats?

i heard they need a defender to replace scarlett and that the cats have expressed some interest in developing gysberts.

was hoping we would draft him a few years back, but instead we went for gawn and fitzpatrick, who both have had thier injury troubles but dont really look like natural footballers, and often look awkward playing.

i know he has had an injury trouble, but i think vardy would be an excelent inclusion into our forward line, and would be handy as a back up ruckman. at 198cm he moves exceptionally well, has good attack on the ball, is a solid grab, a good shot on goal, and for a young KPP has a real presence.

Not sure of his situation at the cats, is there any chance they would let him go or that we could grab him?

Cats are right into Rivers (Free Agent). We have no hope of getting Vardy, even if we coughed up every pick. He's a Cat for life.

Edited by Hells Gates

I have a inkling that some of whom we might target are from the top 8 lists. Their priority is finals currently so anything the club is doing is very much purely at the 'enquiry to manager' level. As teams drop out it becomes more of an open slather.

I feel the club will just have to get very creative and look deeper at the other comps for any "inspired" picks should littel surface from the AFL.

We dont need names, or stars, just players who can do a role to a good standard.

• Like 1

No but West could be interesting.

we looked at West a few years back. I wonder if hes changed his view.

I would be happy if the club tried to help Geelong get Caddy if we could manage to get someone like Duncan/Motlop/West

I would think no chance with Duncan but would love him in red & blue. A bit like Cotchin a few years back it takes a while for the media hacks to catch up but Duncan is an absolute gun and one of the best kicks in the AFL.

No but West could be interesting.

Thats the beauty of it all isn't it.

We will continue to throw up names until we know whos drafted.

Then we will talk about who we should of drafted for years to come.

Its a cruel game AFL & I'm sure us MFC supporters have shorter life spans than other clubs!!

Trent West or I am hearing Mitch Brown also.

Anyway all the best this week, I fly back to work tomorrow, dont stress out too much - its only a game remember!!

PS: I dont intend to be the worlds best speller or have elite punctuation, all I do is get it in text well enough for you to read! I dont work in an office. :)

Nothing to do with Zinc, your line of work?

At the pre-game funtion in Darwin Jade Rawlings and Leigh Brown told us that to be a premiership contender we need another KP forward and mids..

Taggert spoke and said he would be ready to go for th start of pre-season training. Fitness staff were just being cautious.

• Like 1

Hi All,

Here is some info that may be news to some and common dog to others. But I'll share it anyway as I fly out to work tomorrow. Dont shoot the messenger.

This is what I've heard first hand from people in command. The horses mouth.

1. Neelds first & foremost priority is to replace Tom Scully before anything else. The club see's Tom as a loss and are targetting a player with similar traits (on field). While Toms disposal efficiency wasnt the greatest he was quick, broke the lines & was professional. The club is actively seeking players for eg: David Mackay from Adelaide who has good skills, quick and works hard defensively. I have copped criticism for bringing up disposal efficiency in the past with posters saying it isnt relevant, well the club certainly is taking this stat seriously. What picks they will use or how they go about it I'm not sure but we did lose a #1 draft pick.

2. The club is very keen to get another power forward onboard. Whether this is through free agency, trade or draft I'm unsure but they are certainly active. A name that keeps popping up is Jesse Hogan in the U17 mini-draft. I'd say if we cant get an experienced KPF then this will be an option for the club.

3. After the above two I hear that we are keen to get 3 quality mids with the club hoping to bring 1-2 experienced heads & one being Jack Viney providing we pick him up as a second rounder. The problem being that the pickings for quality experienced mids in their mid 20's are slim pickings now. May need to rely on the draft.

4. Club is hoping for 2 free agents - but it looks like slim pickings now.

This is the concerning thing for me & the club is its ok to delist the deadwood so long as you replace with better players. A lot of top draft picks and players OOC will hold no currency at trade time - thats scary.

After TS replacement, KPF, 3 mids - I have no idea what the clubs intentions are, I'll leave that for you guys to discuss. Obviously I can't reel off names etc that havent been mentioned and have to be careful the way I present things but what I can say is the club is very active & have been for months & are leaving no stone unturned. Expect a few suprises if all goes well but also get worried about replacements if it doesnt pan out, the club may have no option but to rewind the clock and rebuild with kids again. The major concern is that the MFC is not attractive to players at the moment.

I look forward to October but one part of me is very nervous at who we can attract/draft. We will NOT draft skinny kids, we will be after players who are ready to go Round 1, 2013 - The club knows its running out of time to keep members on side.

Curve balls that I'd keep an eye on: (These are not the views of the club but my own, chinese whispers)

Stef Martin to be traded.

Jai Sheahan to be upgraded as a KPF prospect.

Clint Bartram/Aaron Davey to retire.

Jared Rivers to chase success.

Royal out, Ratten in.

Bruce & Junior offered a mentoring role off field.

Players brought in from Adelaide, WA & Brisbane.

Great post. Thanks for the info. Interesting to see what come through.

Too many football clubs, not enough talent?

Cats are right into Rivers (Free Agent). We have no hope of getting Vardy, even if we coughed up every pick. He's a Cat for life.

Thanks for the info HG. still a bit annoyed with the gawn/fitz picks though!!!

any chance we could get our hands on Tom Lynch from GC - through some sort of a deal? - especially if they get tippett and have other KKP players to develop eg Charlie Dixon etc... cant beleive we missed out on him by one pick or so in the year we drafted cook!!! he (lynch) looks like a real KKP player in the making.

• Like 1

Thanks for that, all sounds very reasonable.

Would love to get Ratten back. I was always a fan, and was personally told by players that he was an awesome midfield coach when he was at Melbourne.

And lets hope that our Scully replacement comes with not just better disposal, but also better moral judgement and without a fat father.

• Like 9

i remember not too long ago the inner sanctum was talking up cale morton as a centre half forward.

let's face facts - we've stuffed up, repeatedly, at the draft, and we've failed to develop players we have drafted.

losing scully was a big blow, but if viney does fall into the second round for us it's arguable that we've 'won' as a result of picking up someone such as toumpas and / or wines at picks #3 and #4.

however, while hogan makes sense in terms of securing a likely future gun, it's a classic case of robbing peter to pay paul - we lose access to a quality mid to gain a quality tall...and we can't play him for a further year.

?...another injury prone ruck an to supplement Spencil, Fitzy and Maximus??