I went to the MCG yesterday and liked what I saw...

I saw a team which has strength, size, speed and skill. Adelaide is what Melbourne should be aspiring to. Even Adelaide's quickest players, such as Dangerfield, have legs like tree trunks. No wonder Watts, Frawley and Tregove were smashed. Comparatively, they've got legs like matchsticks.

And now I think I understand why Mark Neeld brought Neil Craig to Melbourne. Only three Melbourne players were physically the size of the Adelaide players - Sylvia, Sellar and MacDonald. None of them had their primary development years under Dean Bailey and his fitness team. And I thought Sylvia and Sellar could hold their heads up high. Sellar is not the most skilled player but he at least matched his opponents for physical strength and won many contested marks because of it.

Two more years of pain while we build up the strength and size of our players should put us in a much better position.

• Like 4

Adelaide have always been solid and stocked on the players. just ask scott thompson. was a rake with us and is now a powerfully built man. even dangerfield looks solid. compared to us it shows we are way off the mark. we need to bulk up our players but not stupidly like essendon who all just look fat and heavy unlike adelaide who are ripped and cut.

• Like 1

Guest King Cuthbertson

Yeah, and the other thing is that we need to draft kids who are physically able to compete at senior level in season 1. Too many players we've used early picks on were simply not physically ready for AFL football. Morton, Bennell, Watts, Blease, Cook and Gysberts, etc. Some still aren't ready years on..

Neeld made the comment that it's getting more and more difficult for young players coming through to adapt to the physical requirements of AFL football. I suspect we're not going to see too many skinny kids drafted under Neeld's watch..

Edited by King Cuthbertson
  • Like 3

Guest bluey

We have changed, it was always next year, now it's always two years, and in two years time Jones will still be running in, hatching an egg, and still be holding the ball, never learn, and that's just one example of a horrendous weekly occurence, that's been going on for years, we have gone backwards by a mile, lucky we have the two under 18 teams to beat .

Now we are dumping a veteran in Green, Neeld may point at his stats. and say looky here we are inexperienced, need to get some games into the kids, may take a few years, knock me over with a feather.

• Like 1

We have changed, it was always next year, now it's always two years, and in two years time Jones will still be running in, hatching an egg, and still be holding the ball, never learn, and that's just one example of a horrendous weekly occurence, that's been going on for years, we have gone backwards by a mile, lucky we have the two under 18 teams to beat .

I have no idea why I'm bothering, but you choose to pick on Jones of all players?

He is far and away our best player this year and has been superb. The one holding the ball decision that was payed against him yesterday was a complete disgrace. As are you.

• Like 12

Two more years of pain......that sounds very familiar.

only two ?? Can someone put that in writing !! Lol
  • Like 1

Well cross fingers and toes; the architect of the crows is aboard our bus now :(

• Like 1

I don't think the problem is getting 'skinny' kids per se. The problem is letting them stay bloody skinny. I am sure that most of the gun midfields in the AFL started out as rakes but the clubs they went into set standards and put work into their kids in the weight room. They just didn't gift them games only to be pushed around by the big boys. Whatever happens to our next set of draftees, the time must be put into them so they can compete against mature midfields.

One thing that I noticed yesterday, if rectified might offset the lack of bulk, is skill level. The disposal of a lot of our players is abysmal and one reason why I have gotten off the 'they aren't trying bandwagon'. There were times when the boys were threatening such as the start of the second quarter where real scoreboard pressure could have been put on Adelaide.They missed all four and other potential forward fifty entries were butchered by dismal kicking. Any draftees who come in must eventually have a body on them and be able to carry out the fundamentals of the game. No more of these 'athlete' types.

I concur. We must seek good footballers who can be athletic not good athletes that can play football.

Such a chasm of difference !!

• Like 2

I have no idea why I'm bothering, but you choose to pick on Jones of all players?

He is far and away our best player this year and has been superb. The one holding the ball decision that was payed against him yesterday was a complete disgrace. As are you.

Why haven't you blocked this guy already?

He simply lives to annoy and flagellate as many as he can into a frenzy to get some sort of masochistic pleasure from it.

Why waste your time?

Guest King Cuthbertson

Right, but look at sides like Geelong and Brisbane the two most succesful teams this millenium. I don't think Martin Pike, Justin Leppitsch, the Scott twins, Voss, Shaun Hart, Alastair Lynch, etc.. started out as rakes. Just like Bartel, Kelly, Ablett, Selwood and co. didn't start out as rakes.

I agree that sides need a variety of different 'types' of players. I mean every team needs a Lewis Jetta or a Sam Blease type to bust through the zones with pure leg speed, but I think we need a 'core' of players who will not get knocked off the football and who can physically impose themselves on all comers. I mean, there is a limit to how much muscle a player can put on. Cale Morton is never going to look like Brent Moloney...

I guess its also part between the ears as well. Some players are simply more determined and more competitive than others..

Edited by King Cuthbertson
  • Like 1

I'd say anything that isn't finals footy is "pain", and this club isn't playing finals until 2015 at the earliest.

So we might have only two more years of absolute garbage, but as far as "pain" goes, the wound has a while to heal yet. Buckle up, folks. This ain't a finals side.

Why haven't you blocked this guy already?

He simply lives to annoy and flagellate as many as he can into a frenzy to get some sort of masochistic pleasure from it.

Why waste your time?

Cause he's often abit too close to the truth for a fews liking.

if he is the skinniest in the top 10 draftees then probably yes :wacko:

Apparently Schwab has identified Europe as a new base for the Demons .

We aim to promote the game through fashion parades and re-capture the male waif look .

Designers over there like to see ribs and clavicles in thier new meat.

I look forward to the exhibition game in Milan.

At 193cms and 37kg ,Cale is expected to star.

• Like 2

Right, but look at sides like Geelong and Brisbane the two most succesful teams this millenium. I don't think Martin Pike, Justin Leppitsch, the Scott twins, Voss, Shaun Hart, Alastair Lynch, etc.. started out as rakes. Just like Bartel, Kelly, Ablett, Selwood and co. didn't start out as rakes.

I agree that sides need a variety of different 'types' of players. I mean every team needs a Lewis Jetta or a Sam Blease type to bust through the zones with pure leg speed, but I think we need a 'core' of players who will not get knocked off the football and who can physically impose themselves on all comers. I mean, there is a limit to how much muscle a player can put on. Cale Morton is never going to look like Brent Moloney...

I guess its also part between the ears as well. Some players are simply more determined and more competitive than others..

They weren't rakes at 17? I will pause there and say maybe I am using the wrong word to describe their build. They clearly physically weren't the men they were to become. It took hours in the gym and out on the track to get them to where they needed to be.

Cause he's often abit too close to the truth for a fews liking.

No... Bluey's more like one of those monkeys locked in a room with a typewriter... occassionaly he's going to bang out an actual word, but 99% of the time it's going to be incomprehensible rubbish. The only thing he really got right was his choice of avatar.

• Like 3

I don't think the problem is getting 'skinny' kids per se. The problem is letting them stay bloody skinny. I am sure that most of the gun midfields in the AFL started out as rakes but the clubs they went into set standards and put work into their kids in the weight room. They just didn't gift them games only to be pushed around by the big boys. Whatever happens to our next set of draftees, the time must be put into them so they can compete against mature midfields.

One thing that I noticed yesterday, if rectified might offset the lack of bulk, is skill level. The disposal of a lot of our players is abysmal and one reason why I have gotten off the 'they aren't trying bandwagon'. There were times when the boys were threatening such as the start of the second quarter where real scoreboard pressure could have been put on Adelaide.They missed all four and other potential forward fifty entries were butchered by dismal kicking. Any draftees who come in must eventually have a body on them and be able to carry out the fundamentals of the game. No more of these 'athlete' types.

Spot on. I honestly think that Paul Seedsman from Collingwood and Toby Greene from GWS, both recruited last year as very light players, have both put on more weight in 12 months than Watts, Morton, Cook and Gysberts have in years.

Seeing Watts next to Taylor Walker yesterday, it is staggering to think Watts has now completed 4 AFL pre-seasons.

Stuff their foot skills - lock Morton, Gysberts, Watts and Cook in the gym for the next 6 months and don't let them touch a football.

I agree. And it's not just the two and a bit hours of game time each week. The real measure is how determined and competitive they are the rest of the week. Talent will only take you so far.

I saw a team which has strength, size, speed and skill. Adelaide is what Melbourne should be aspiring to. Even Adelaide's quickest players, such as Dangerfield, have legs like tree trunks. No wonder Watts, Frawley and Tregove were smashed. Comparatively, they've got legs like matchsticks.

And now I think I understand why Mark Neeld brought Neil Craig to Melbourne. Only three Melbourne players were physically the size of the Adelaide players - Sylvia, Sellar and MacDonald. None of them had their primary development years under Dean Bailey and his fitness team. And I thought Sylvia and Sellar could hold their heads up high. Sellar is not the most skilled player but he at least matched his opponents for physical strength and won many contested marks because of it.

Two more years of pain while we build up the strength and size of our players should put us in a much better position.

bring back robbie flower-oh forgot wouldn't fit into your "tree trunk policy"

Edited by thaipantsman
  • Like 1

I saw a team which has strength, size, speed and skill. Adelaide is what Melbourne should be aspiring to. Even Adelaide's quickest players, such as Dangerfield, have legs like tree trunks.

Agreed. Walker and Tippett both looked like the incredible hulk, and about to burst out of their jumpers. They are both massive units. Would love to get one or both of them to the MFC. (Am I just imagining it, or was Tippet a thin rake a couple of years back??). Thompson & Dangerfield are also seriosuly ripped...!