On This Night ...

45HG

Twelve years ago, the Demons thrashed the Roos to make our first Grand Final in 13 years.

In some ways it feels a lifetime ago, in others it doesn't seem so far in the past.

It was such an exciting feeling leaving the ground that night - Farmer's 8 and Powell's 33 and 4 goals the main highlights.

A brilliant season with many highlights.

What, aside from the obvious, are people's highlights from 2000?

• Like 4

Wow... that night I was in the middle of nowhere, sitting next to a campfire.

The radio had a coat hanger taped to the aerial in a desperate attempt to improve the reception.

The local radio station (who shall remain nameless) employed a commentator that called each play with "A Melbourne player kicks it to another Melbourne player... oh.. and he's kicked a goal."

Still one of the most memorable nights I've had.

• Like 1

Now , I'm not into hugging men (not that there's anything wrong with that !) but when the siren went in that Preliminary final against the Blues , I couldn't help myself and hugged the mate I went to the game with . A spontaneous act but the unbridled joy was something to behold . To this day , the look on his face remains priceless !

He's a Carlton Supporter .

• Like 2

Woey getting two votes in round 22 despite having an ordinary game. Ha. Robbed Scott West of a Brownlow. That was payback for Chris Grant getting an undeserved three votes on Neitz at the MCG in 1997.

Didn't he get 2 Brownlow votes but no B and F votes?

I remember leaving the ground past a long long line of Melbourne members waiting Grand Final line tickets.

Me too :) That was the queue to get into a line for Monday's sell.

Arrived 4.00am Monday morning to queue, BBQs going, food vans, entertainment, people chatting around open fires....all footy talk.

It was heaven until the following Saturday arvo...

Just remember being blown away by all the excitement of grand final week. Woey on Brownlow night, GF parade, etc.

Great feeling, despite the flogging. God, I want to see the Dees in more GFs.

I have mates that support Geelong and Hawthorn and they seem to take grannies and premierships as being expected. Would be good to feature more times at the top of the premiership ladder than at the bottom.

• Like 1

I was 12 in 88, I said to the old man I didn't want to go to the game (I just knew we would lose) he was not a happy camper a) i didn't want to go B) we got thrashed.

2000... beating Carlton in that final was the highlight, Woey Chas', the anticipation of GF week, going to the game with the old man for the last time. You just miss the anticipation of actually being a chance to win a game, play finals, win finals, be a chance to win a flag.

edit 88, sorry fat fingers

Edited by Cards13

Magic. I went to all the games in Melbourne in 88 but was too young to appreciate the significance. Did the same in 2000 but knew that the Bombers would win the flag. Thus the prelim was like a grand final for us.

If I remember correctly, we were inconsistent in the first half of the year but the youngsters kicked into gear in the second half and the feeling of excitement and potential was incredible. Those Daniher teams were so much fun to watch.

Rushing out with 10 minutes to go against the roos to find the queue that had formed at half time which included my chair only to find that the queue had moved and my chair with it. Then I frantically tried to find the queue and my chair. A very nice lady had moved my chair with her when they had been asked to move by MCG. Siren goes and masses of people surge out to push their way to the front of the queue. I found myself about 13th from front to about 200th. There were a lot of filthy people that night but it couldnt beat the thought that we were in the finals. Oh God to have that thrill again.

Rushing out with 10 minutes to go against the roos to find the queue that had formed at half time which included my chair only to find that the queue had moved and my chair with it. Then I frantically tried to find the queue and my chair. A very nice lady had moved my chair with her when they had been asked to move by MCG. Siren goes and masses of people surge out to push their way to the front of the queue. I found myself about 13th from front to about 200th. There were a lot of filthy people that night but it couldnt beat the thought that we were in the finals. Oh God to have that thrill again.

Best month of my life that September. Was too naive to understand at 19 years old, the pain that was to come. The Prelim was out of this world. Still think the umpires shagged us in the GF. And Sheedy was obviously worried about is, because the way that Essendon played that GF changed the tribunal rules forever

And Sheedy was obviously worried about is, because the way that Essendon played that GF changed the tribunal rules forever

They'd played us the same way during home & away games for the previous 15 years.

The fact many were surprised they did it to us in a GF is what staggered me .

Edited by My TD

I was at the prelim final with my dad and was so excited. We were sitting next to this bunch of elderly North supporters who were so [censored] off at losing they kept telling us off for cheering so loudly and excitedly LOL! But then the worst moment of my life happened... I left the ground and bolted out to the queue to get the queue number for Monday when I realised that my wallet with my membership in it was not in my pocket. You needed your membership to get your ticket number. I actually began to cry. My dad ran back into the MCG where we were sitting and looked everywhere for the wallet. No luck. Then he thought to check out lost property and would you believe some lovely person had actually handed it in. Relief, but I always wished I knew who it was, but thanks to them I was able to get my queue ticket and get to the Grand final the next week!!

Guest Fergie

Just remember being blown away by all the excitement of grand final week. Woey on Brownlow night, GF parade, etc.

Great feeling, despite the flogging. God, I want to see the Dees in more GFs.

I have mates that support Geelong and Hawthorn and they seem to take grannies and premierships as being expected. Would be good to feature more times at the top of the premiership ladder than at the bottom.

Shows how quickly things can change when done right.