Joel Macdonald & Lynden Dunn Saved their Careers

ashdemons22

I have such mixed emotions about Joel Mac - is there any way we can morph Sylvia and him into one person ? (and to be 100% clear - I want a player of MacDonalds heart and passion for the contest with Sylvia's skills.)

• Like 1

Yeah Joel Mac breaks my heart. He is everything the club needs in terms of endeavour and effort but is sadly lacking in skills. We can't have him, Barty, Dunne, Bail, Bate and Sellar on the one list.

I think he'll stay as he gets his hands on the ball and I think he deserves another year but if we start moving forward he's going to struggle as he's a finger in the dam wall type. Once we start improving he's just holding up the development of someone else.

I agree, they are the perfect back up players...can come in and do a job, adds depth to our list.

They probably wouldn't get a game with a fully fit list though, but you never know.

• Like 1

How many years? If kept, will be depth players only. In and out of VFL/AFL.

We are honestly the last club in the land that should be talking about depth. It's only relevant to the top 4-5 teams IMO.

I think Joel will be given another year. And I would like to see that teaser cut once and for all.

Joel has a tendency to panic when under pressure, even if he's not he does sometimes and you just can't rely on him in a tight situation. Great heart and toughness but he can do some terrible things with the ball.

Dunn seems to have had the penny drop, finally, and seems to be playing ok at the moment but to me he just doesn't look as if he desperately wants to be an AFL footballer, that's just a gut feeling but it's my impression of him.

Bate is the one I feel sorry for he tries so hard but his skill or confidence just let's him down, he's like a halfway player, somewhere between VFL and AFL.

Joel has a tendency to panic when under pressure, even if he's not he does sometimes and you just can't rely on him in a tight situation. Great heart and toughness but he can do some terrible things with the ball.

Dunn seems to have had the penny drop, finally, and seems to be playing ok at the moment but to me he just doesn't look as if he desperately wants to be an AFL footballer, that's just a gut feeling but it's my impression of him.

Bate is the one I feel sorry for he tries so hard but his skill or confidence just let's him down, he's like a halfway player, somewhere between VFL and AFL.

We have had a lot of those in the last 6-7 years RobbieF

JNGE

• Like 1

I must admit I had them both out the door midway through the year.

I have changed my tone though, their performances at the second half of this year have been desreving of another contract, Dunn especially since he has gone into defence.

I love constantly debating whether the 35th and 38th player on our list gets another contract delaying the inevitable...

I really do.

It's sad I know.

We will see in October.

Sorry to disagree rpfc they are in the high 20's there are a lot worse than both of them.

• Like 2

I don't know about saving them, just bought themselves another year. Even then I think it's debatable - a quick head count based on what we need to get done in the off season says to me at least one of them will probably need to go.

I love constantly debating whether the 35th and 38th player on our list gets another contract delaying the inevitable...

It's just sad when posters say player X is not good enough but there is someone worse.

If you're not good enough, cut them both.

Dunn is a spud. End of season games are junk games for crap teams. Have noted his career rather then junk games in contract years.

There is more to football than merely getting your hands on the footy. Macdonald has poor decision making and ball skills, and Dunn is a real worry in a one-on-one contest. At some stage we will need to purge our list of the clear C and D graders, hopefully this year.

It's just sad when posters say player X is not good enough but there is someone worse.

If you're not good enough, cut them both.

Dunn is a spud. End of season games are junk games for crap teams. Have noted his career rather then junk games in contract years.

Good in theory, but we can't cut 30 players....

We are honestly the last club in the land that should be talking about depth. It's only relevant to the top 4-5 teams IMO.

I think Joel will be given another year. And I would like to see that teaser cut once and for all.

All clubs - incl us - have depth players. We just play more of them in the seniors, partic with our current injury list. As we progress and improve in the next few years, these players will become more marginal and drop off the list or remain VFL players who play only when injuries permit.

• Like 1

Move both of them on.Dunn is a list clogger & J mcdonald is a poor footballer with bad skills let go by Brisbane because he wasnt up to it and was all we could probably afford at the time.

Dunny plays a good menace role like that fruitcake Robinson from Carlscum but thats about it.

Good in theory, but we can't cut 30 players....

True but i don't see 30 must cut.

I can see 8-12 at max

I would prefer we try to find a Saad, Gibson then keep list cloggers.

Edited by jacey

Fortunately we haven't got 30 spuds, then.

True but i don't see 30 must cut.

I can see 8-12 at max

I would prefer we try to find a Saad, Gibson then keep list cloggers.

Just to clarify, I was being facetious... I think we need to/will cut or trade around 6-8 players