Oliver Wines

PartyTimeJohnny

The more i think about it the more im open to the idea that perhaps GWS is already content with their midfield stocks (after taking Whitfield). They already have a number of gun midfielders.It makes sense for them to opt for a key defender and an x factor type player. All depends on whether they focus on need or talent.

The Toumpas dream is still alive!

The Toumpas dream is still alive!

Dream may be alive, but the general feeling is we will pick Wines regardless.

This effectively means we rate Wines as the second best available kid.

I just hope we haven’t closed our eye’s completely to other opportunities.

I personally rank the top 5 as Toumpas, Grundy, Whitfield, Plowman and Wines. I haven’t seen enough of Menzel to judge, but lots of chatter has him as a top 2 talent and the reason Toumpas could slide.

Whitfield will go 1, no doubt. If Grundy or Plowman are available, I still go with Wines. If Toumpas slides, I have to go with him over Wines. He brings a nice mix of what Wines does (leadership, intensity, not as aggressive but certainly not afraid to mix it up), but also adds pace and elite ball use.

• Like 1

Viney make speak highly of wines but he has also played with and speaks highly of toumpas...

The piece of paper from Neeld may possibly say

'Draft whoever's name is highest on the list on the list below and is still available at #4'

1. Toumpas

2. Wines

3. O'Rourke

Then draft 2 of the craftiest small forwards available at picks 49/53 and a tough hard working small defender at 70 thanks'

You're an angry guy Tim. I'm sorry.

I said he keeps failing to mention the skill of Hawthorn's mids. I'm sorry I didn't isolate Sewell. Even though he seems to be just as effective as Magner, Couch, McKenzie, Bate (last year) for us.

Hodge is good? Is that a joke?

Lewis and Mitchell are head and shoulders above our mids when it comes to using the pill.

I would say Ellis is on par with the the players I mentioned above

Smith is an outside runner you goose

You have a personal issue with my posts Tim. Why don't we chat about it some place else?

Hodge plays loose off half back. His disposal is good - it is not better than that. He is one sided and suspect over short distances, funnily enough. Sewell's disposal is average at best. Mitchell's disposal skills are good - his decision making is friggin exceptional. The others are good but no more than that. A midfield is deeper than 4 players and you are factually wrong.

I don't like your posts because they imply a lot while actually arguing very little. They are frequently inaccurate and your language exaggerates or misleads. You also big note yourself and cannot back it up.

I have nothing personal against you - what you say sh123s me to tears.

Tim, I reckon Hodge is a fantastic kick. Elite. So I'll have to disagree with you on that one.

I heard Viney (Jack) interviewed a few weeks back and he was asked which other player in the draft do you really rate and would love to go to Melbourne and he nominated Toumpas.

• Like 1

I've been keen on Toumpas since mid season, if he's somehow available and we don't pick him I'll be very disappointed.

Got a question and might as well ask it here, I'm still o/s but out of Burma and have much better internet access. I still can't find the time of the draft on the AFL site, can someone give me a heads up.

In all honesty we can't lose Toumpas, Wines or O'Rourke all look pretty good. But as we all know transforming from U/18 to AFL can prove difficult for some

O'Rourke has had a history of injuries though,,,,

I wonder how long before some trolling scribe surfaces in print or online with " Wines no lock in. Dees eye a sliding Toumpas" B)

"Informed ( sic) sources suggest Melbourne may look to snare highly rated goal-mine midfileder Jimmy Toumpas with their coveted pick 4. Dees coach Neeld suggests previously considered Wines isnt rated in 'their top5 "

it'll be funny

I've been keen on Toumpas since mid season, if he's somehow available and we don't pick him I'll be very disappointed.

Got a question and might as well ask it here, I'm still o/s but out of Burma and have much better internet access. I still can't find the time of the draft on the AFL site, can someone give me a heads up.

Thursday 22nd November, 7pm (EST National)

Broadcast Live via,

Television: Foxtel

Radio: SEN, FiveAA, GOLD FM, 3AW

• Like 1

Hodge plays loose off half back. His disposal is good - it is not better than that. He is one sided and suspect over short distances, funnily enough. Sewell's disposal is average at best. Mitchell's disposal skills are good - his decision making is friggin exceptional. The others are good but no more than that. A midfield is deeper than 4 players and you are factually wrong.

I don't like your posts because they imply a lot while actually arguing very little. They are frequently inaccurate and your language exaggerates or misleads. You also big note yourself and cannot back it up.

I have nothing personal against you - what you say sh123s me to tears.

Hodge has versatility. He can play a variety of positions and one of those happens to be starting in the square. He can still be considered a midfielder as he's played through the midfield throughout much of his career. His ability to win the contested ball is up there with the best in the game and his left foot is, and has been, his strongest attribute along with his contested ball winning ability. I am 100% sure that most that have a clue about AFL would be in agreeance.

Clearly we have differing opinions on the other players and I stand by my statement that overall, hawthorn's mids have far better kicking skills than ours. Mainly because of Mitchell, Lewis and Hodge when he runs through.

Tim, I honestly don't care what you think of my posts. Why don't you ignore me so I don't have to bother replying to someone who it seems has little knowledge when it comes to football. Pass the msg on to your 'like' button sidekick 'Jose' also.

X

just by way of mentioning Im not too upset if we should 'have' to take Wines at 4 !! I mean..be terrible :o

Unlike many a pst year its not like we are going to rely on any one player to be our 'saviour" . Whomeve it is @ 4 he'llbe part of the team , not its new poster boy.

• Like 3

You keep failing to mention the fact that Hawthorn's inside mids can all use the ball extremely well. Wines doesn't have kicking skills like Mitchell, Lewis or Hodge. All of whom play that inside mid role.

Same with Sydney to a lesser extent. When it comes to our list, we have lots of players who can win the ball in close, but they can't use it nearly as well as the mids from the two teams you've mentioned.

Not only is it that we have a lack of quality kickers, our midfield has also looked bad especially in the Bailey era because of a lack of structure, defensive mindset, spread etc etc. Next year with a more organised group having learnt the basics after year one, it will be interesting to see how our mids go and give us more of an indication of what it is we 'need'.

Facts are unfortunate steve.

You said "all of hawthorn's inside mids use the ball extremely well". You did not say they kick better than us.

Hawthorn's inside mids include sewell. Lewis does not have elite disposal. Hodge does not play as an inside mid - his fitness prevented it for several years now. Do Hawthorn generally kick better than us - yes and they kick better than lots of other teams, so what is your point? They get the ball first and foremost. Their only inside mid with elite disposal is mitchell. The others are hard nuts who get the pill and their disposal ranges from average to very good.

Our mids don't win the pill well, and when they do have no organisation to free up someone to dispose of it - the primary problem is a nasty intersection of a lack of size, experience, fitness and structure. Now, you pointed that out in your post but did not relate it to disposal. Hawthorn do not have a host of inside mids with great kicks - they have one. When we get the size etc we lack, I wonder how are disposal will go then? I suspect that all of a sudden our kicking is going to look really good. Our lack of quality is all of a sudden going to disappear.

And it's good you rate your own footy opinion. I don't care what you think of mine. I object to you posting tosh.

Guest NoMoreMrNiceGuy

just by way of mentioning Im not too upset if we should 'have' to take Wines at 4 !! I mean..be terrible :o

Unlike many a pst year its not like we are going to rely on any one player to be our 'saviour" . Whomeve it is @ 4 he'llbe part of the team , not its new poster boy.

Great post Bezelbub and a very salient point. No more high-draft pick saviors. It's nonsense.

Pick 4 will just become another cog in the new Demon machine, no more or less important than the other 17 on the ground at any particular time.

The piece of paper from Neeld may possibly say

'Draft whoever's name is highest on the list on the list below and is still available at #4'

1. Toumpas

2. Wines

3. O'Rourke

Then draft 2 of the craftiest small forwards available at picks 49/53 and a tough hard working small defender at 70 thanks'

or, it may say, "then draft 2 of the crumbiest small forwards you can get"? ;)