Contract discussions put on hold for eleven Demons

DemonDave

I wonder what it is about Mark Neeld that gets up Tonatopia and Hardnut's noses so much.

Range Rover, i fall somewhere between yourself and Tonatopia in the Neeld-love-spectrum, so i'll try to answer your question about why people might not 'like him'. To sum it up he's the scape goat for a disapointing season.

i'll admit straight off the bat that those of us who saw the team under Bailey to be underachieving rather than downright poor will be less sympathetic to Neeld compared to those of you who havent rated half the list for seasons. Surley you can forgive some of us from feeling like our list was in need of a new direction but not a complete overhaul at the time of Neeld's appointment - after all our wins were generally good wins where we were able to dominate sides (albiet the poor sides in the comp..... this year we cant even do that, but thats another story?).

The reality that we are a rubbish side is a harsh one and it is somewhat of a natural response to blame Neeld as he is the difference between last year and this year, or at least has driven the differences. Also, blaming Neeld was made easier because of his heavy handed attitude that he had when he first took the job. Telling the list that he would make them 'fitter, stronger and give them a game plan' IMO is a roundabout way of saying that the old coaching group didnt/couldnt allow them to do compete at AFL but he can. I find it hard to hear these types of things from a bloke that to date has only managed 3 wins himself, with a superior footy department and a boom recruit call Mitch Clark.

• Like 2

this is an interesting post, because it highlights the fact that the players are not sure about Neelds ideaology.

It raises the question about troops in war, if only our troops had not agreed to British orders to invade the Turkish coast in Gallipoli, we would have avoided the slaughter. Troops gave 100% but still got massacared.

I wonder if the players are doubting Neelds game plan because even they can see that it is not effective, and they don't believe in him.

Interesting times ahead.

As for people who say that the players have not performed over the last 4 years, I think that up until rd15 last year, we definetly saw some good signs from our players. I thought our good footy was as good as anyone in the league. We looked daring and exciting and entertaining.

This year, we have only had the occasional mark from Howe to keep us going.

Thanks (not) for twisting my observation in post 109 to suit your very weak logic tonatopia. Your argument is not sustainable, and I reckon you have reached the 'clutching at straws' stage.

I'll be interested to see how acurate this article is. I note that no one from Melbourne has been quoted in it....

Personally I really want to see Rivers, Blease and Strauss signed up. The rest I'm not as concerned about.

Gysberts is an interesting one. If Geelong are really keen, what sort of a trade would they offer???

Travis Boak.

I'm going to try and simplify things.

After a season at the club Neeld knows what we lack and where we lack it. And he's going to do the best he can to get as much of it as possible over the trade/draft period. Btw, Mitch Clark has it.

Talent.

I would add another vital component - fire in the belly and a hatred of losing a contest.

• Like 3

Travis Boak.

Geelong want both Gysberts and Boak. I doubt they would fly interstate to meet and try coo a player into joining them to trade them off straight away for a player who is only half as good, if even.

Edited by olisik

We'll have to agree to disagree there.

You are aware that we've only won 30 odd out of past 120 games? Not laying the finger of blame solely on Rivers but fact is we've got a slew of players who are average footballers at best.

Pathetic post. The backline is the only good thing about our footy team. You don't think Rivers has helped the consistently good development of our defenders? He's been terrific this year, and many other years before this one.

Is this not just a consequence of free agency?

If you plan to sign free agents you need space in your cap.

Given you can't sign free agents before the end of the season more players will be left out of contract at end of season at all clubs.

Simple really.

Pathetic post. The backline is the only good thing about our footy team. You don't think Rivers has helped the consistently good development of our defenders? He's been terrific this year, and many other years before this one.

I am big a softy when it comes to our players but the only player that has been terrific over the last two years is Jones and since Bailey we have had glimpses of nice from players but not for any sustained period.

Geelong want both Gysberts and Boak. I doubt they would fly interstate to meet and try coo a player into joining them to trade them off straight away for a player who is only half as good, if even.

No they really want the GYS as that is all they can afford.

By getting Boak they can offer MFC a real trade that we will go for.

Good thing Frawley is safe at the moment.

I wonder what it is about Mark Neeld that gets up Tonatopia and Hardnut's noses so much. Is it his demeanour? His hairstyle? Do they know a relative of a relative on the list who might not get a new contract?

I wish they'd just be honest and come and say what's really on their minds. They'd gain some respect that way.

You are like that annoying kid in primary school who says 'I know you are, I said you are, but what am I' every time anybody opens their mouth.

We'll have to agree to disagree there.

You are aware that we've only won 30 odd out of past 120 games? Not laying the finger of blame solely on Rivers but fact is we've got a slew of players who are average footballers at best.

We need faster, stronger, more athletic footballers than Jared Rivers.

Fair enough. We disagree entirely.

Watching our absolutely shite team in the last few years, Rivers is one of the few who (1) consistenty beats his player and (2) busts his chops, no matter what, against a constant stream of I-50s. He is a touch slow, I'll admit, but he is probably the best reader of the play in our team, and far better than a below average player who deserves to be swept out this year, as you are suggesting.

• Like 2

Daft not to retain Rivers, he has excellent ball sense when fit and contests everything to him close unlike many. And I don't get all the love for Cook, it doe's not make sense to me that he hasn't been given a chance yet there must be some story to that. Jurrah is pending that one is simple. Everyone else - fair enough, patches of form are no guarantee all though I accept that Blease has more potential than most.

But right now, I do not see 2013 as any different to this year - closer margins and team effort is where I have set my expectations.

The reality that we are a rubbish side is a harsh one and it is somewhat of a natural response to blame Neeld as he is the difference between last year and this year, or at least has driven the differences. Also, blaming Neeld was made easier because of his heavy handed attitude that he had when he first took the job. Telling the list that he would make them 'fitter, stronger and give them a game plan' IMO is a roundabout way of saying that the old coaching group didnt/couldnt allow them to do compete at AFL but he can. I find it hard to hear these types of things from a bloke that to date has only managed 3 wins himself, with a superior footy department and a boom recruit call Mitch Clark.

There is disturbing amount of Deja Vu in what you are saying. Back to the Barassi days all over again.

Edited by america de cali

Sorry to not be as happy as most seem about this. The biggest story in this that I see is that its in the papers. Either its a big leak or its false.

The impact on the player group of a quarter of the list being unwanted will be huge.

Everyone who's saying how good this is ought to think about how they would feel working in an organisation where this was happening in the public eye. We're humiliating the players AGAIN and that cant be good for anything other than taking the heat of Neelds coaching. It disturbs me its in the public arena... Theres a month to go of this season the last time I looked.

The players had no football department to speak for years because we were broke. Thats at least PART of the reason so many have not come on. You disgrace the playing group en masse like this at a cost...I hope we're not digging ourselves a grave.

• Like 2

There is disturbing amount of Deja Vu in what you are saying. Back to the Barassi days all over again.

Hoepfully we can keep going backwards and bring back the Norm Smith days??

Right or wrong Neeld is going to do it his way - so buclkle up children s$%t is going to hit the fan.....

If Rivers goes, it will be for political reasons and not football related.

Rivers is an average footballer who can shut down an opponent (unless they are bigger then himself) and has little offensive value what so ever.

Another so called 'LEADER' of the MFC..... If Rivo goes I will shake his hand goodbye and wish him the best of luck personally and won't lose a moments sleep about it

Sorry to not be as happy as most seem about this. The biggest story in this that I see is that its in the papers. Either its a big leak or its false.

The impact on the player group of a quarter of the list being unwanted will be huge.

Everyone who's saying how good this is ought to think about how they would feel working in an organisation where this was happening in the public eye. We're humiliating the players AGAIN and that cant be good for anything other than taking the heat of Neelds coaching. It disturbs me its in the public arena... Theres a month to go of this season the last time I looked.

The players had no football department to speak for years because we were broke. Thats at least PART of the reason so many have not come on. You disgrace the playing group en masse like this at a cost...I hope we're not digging ourselves a grave.

This is one of the best posts on this thread - everyone should stop, take stock of the situation and think before posting - the potential damage to the club is enormous, especially given the audience out there.

If I were in charge -

Delist - MacDonald, Petterd, Dunn, Bate, Bartram, Bennell, Davis, Spencer

Re-Sign - Jurrah, Moloney, Rivers, Strauss, Bail, Blease, Sellar

I tend to agree with your list, but you didn't put Gys in either camp. I would try to keep him unless the Cats made a good offer. They may still remember his debut game.

That's actually a really good point - always good to remember that players are people and the club isn't just swapping footy cards or something.