What is up Greg Denham's bum?

Range Rover

When you have been as bad as we have for 5 years and not really showing much you have to expect people to give us whacks in fact you need the media to give us whacks to make us a least semi relevant in the AFL. Look at North or the Bullodogs no one cares, they play bad or something happens with in the club good or bad it is news for a minute. Melbourne for all the crap we have put up over the last 5 years we have kept people interested, the media have covered us, all good and bad news plus good and bad performances have extremely good coverage.

You have to agree with Dermott and Greg, we haven't unearthed much this year, McDonald is a highlight, Magner started with bang but hasn't done much for the past 6 weeks, Clark has been great. There has been injuries and we know this but our young players haven't come far from last year to this year, we have a first pick Forward playing back, a second pick midfielder that can't run, a pick 4 midfielder that can't hit a target and other early picks can't run a game out, can't stay healthy or just can't get enough footy. Add to this the B&F rom last year can't get a kick, the Captian from last year can't kick goals and the All Australian Ruckman continues to palm the ball to the same spot and has little presence around the ground.

• Like 2

When you have been as bad as we have for 5 years and not really showing much you have to expect people to give us whacks in fact you need the media to give us whacks to make us a least semi relevant in the AFL. Look at North or the Bullodogs no one cares, they play bad or something happens with in the club good or bad it is news for a minute. Melbourne for all the crap we have put up over the last 5 years we have kept people interested, the media have covered us, all good and bad news plus good and bad performances have extremely good coverage.

You have to agree with Dermott and Greg, we haven't unearthed much this year, McDonald is a highlight, Magner started with bang but hasn't done much for the past 6 weeks, Clark has been great. There has been injuries and we know this but our young players haven't come far from last year to this year, we have a first pick Forward playing back, a second pick midfielder that can't run, a pick 4 midfielder that can't hit a target and other early picks can't run a game out, can't stay healthy or just can't get enough footy. Add to this the B&F rom last year can't get a kick, the Captian from last year can't kick goals and the All Australian Ruckman continues to palm the ball to the same spot and has little presence around the ground.

Whew Doctor tell it like it is.

I dont disagree but also would like to add that we do have potential if we develop our players by recognising and improving their skills and playing them in positions they can use with game plans that put those skills against opponents that match up .

I hope the coaching staff are gaining a better idea of the skills all the squad has and where thaey can modify them are doing so.

with a bit of confidence in those factors your first pick forward can be an asset to the team in the back line

God knows even Morton can be effective if used properly.

Look for the upside and get the players to produce what they are capable of and we can beat ESSENDON (How did that happen???)

It does look like we need more fitness and while I am disappointed with this year I do hope that we can improve that required fitness for next year and add the potential of new players with the experience that we must retain and who knows we may improve HOPE SO

GO DEES

Can understand these commentators getting stuck into us, but blooding enough youth would seem a very odd path to go on.

Blooding youngsters or not, they don't quite have a grasp on the situation. They're right in not rating us, but they -like some others - struggle in terms of the nature of the list and what Neeld is about. Do you think he's looked at the current youth in our starting 21+1 ?

Neeld has given Moloney plenty of chances this year despite poor form. The FD stated from the outset they wanted to have a look at all the players; set roles; and see how they went.

As soon as they realise we have put in our 3rd debutant for the year, the comparisons start and the negativity transpires. Mainly due to a 2-12 return thus far.

I wouldn't be too concerned about what Denham has to say. A good way to turn things around including his comments would be to simply start winning.

Guys I have heard him mouthing the same bull on previous programs.

KB usually sticks up for us but I did not hear the program today.

I am going to write to KB with the facts does Anyone Have the actual data on who has played etc.

Just save me the work.

Denham has some personal beef with Cam Schwab. Dunno exactly what.

His pitiful revenge is to bag Melb every chance he gets. No matter what the topic, Denham can find a way to turn it into a diatribe against MFC.

Last week they were discussing Martin Pike's time at Brisbane. Of course Denham chimed in that he's another player that MFC couldn't keep ... he was getting wound up to lash our recruiting for the last 1,000 years, but KB had the decency to suggest that some players need a change of clubs as a wake up call.

This child is unable to separate CS and MFC and has turned his personal grudge into a years-long sulk.

If you read bigfooty you will see that "Venom Denham" doesn't get much love from supporters of any club. They think his opinions are lightweight and his facts wrong.

He is immature and of low character.

• Like 1

Guys this is my list of players etc.

Please feel free to add comment or tell me I am wrong.

I am going to send this to KB at SEN. May ring in next Thursday.

We have 39 players on our main list we have played 32 so far this year the  seven players without a game are below.

Gawn -  out for the season before season started (knee)

Gysberts - injury in pre season so interrupted start then a broken jaw.

Jetta - out very early in season with bad ankle injury. First game this week.

Taggert - long term back injury probably will  not play this year.

Strauss - one of the worst broken legs seen in AFL amazing he is back playing with Casey now.

Cook - injured hip and operation September last year interrupted pre season and only started playing with Casey in round??

Rookies

Nicholson - Played 6 Games

Evans - First week back after back injury in 2011 kept him out till first game this week at Casey.

Lawrence- series of injuries and form have kept him at Casey.

Couch -  played 1 game.

Magner - 13 games.

Jai Sheahan - series of injuries have restricted him to a few games at Casey.

Williams - showed some early season form then serious  Illness, 4 days in a coma keep him out for 4 weeks.

Nett Result - we have in total 46 players, we have played 37 - 80.4% of the list.

All players who have not played have either been out with season long injuries, or a serious injury.

Of the players on our list who have not played a senior game, there is not one that has not had a serious injury.

PS I will refine this a bit before I send it.

What are your thoughts?

• Like 3

Dehman is immune to "reasons" and "logic".

The man is irrational. He could blame the European financial crisis on MFC.

TF my idea is to give KB some facts he often defends us when Gd starts his comments.

I can no longer listen to his unfounded rot without doing something

I would say sheehan is a 18 yo KPP who is a project player and not ready to play AFL physically. He has shown good form at Casey at times, but it would be negligent to play him as he is a child playing against men at VFL standard, imagine AFL standard!!!!

Also, the club has a fitness program on many levels. As the players were grossly under done when Mission came on board and the players are still in a hard fitness load/program during the season affecting their capabilities on game day. 2ndly, if a player does come from a serious injury (as with players you have noted) the club has a policy that player will complete a mini pre season building a fitness base before they are considered for selection. Each player is assessed differently according to their own program. For eg, Gysberts has performed badly in endurance and needs to hit a minimum standard before he even becomes an option, whilst Tom McDonald has a natural fitness base the Gys doesnt. Skill and talent are secondary to fitness. No point contributing to more injuries playing a talented player. Another good example is Sam Blease playing sub many times, his fitness base is borderline but talent is very high

Sorry - long winded response OD, but important to why some of our more talented players are playing for Casey and Bate and Dunn are playing. You could also add Neeld is seperating the wheat from the Shaft. (think thats how the saying goes?#*).

• Like 1

He said the other week when wc beat carlton that he felt sorry for melbourne because they didnt take mik nat. Well Greg at the time we wernt looking for a ruckman, we were looking for a key foward. Also I reckon Nic Nat would have got homesick and gone back to perth. Get over it. I felt like asking him if he feels sorry for richmond because they took Tambling over Franklin and Fiora over pavlich.

I actually stopped listening to KB on thursdays and fridays.

Who is Greg Denham? That hack who works for Murdoch? Sheesh

I was about to ask the same question?

Is he someone of any relevance to footy, or even life in general?

I would say sheehan is a 18 yo KPP who is a project player and not ready to play AFL physically. He has shown good form at Casey at times, but it would be negligent to play him as he is a child playing against men at VFL standard, imagine AFL standard!!!!

Also, the club has a fitness program on many levels. As the players were grossly under done when Mission came on board and the players are still in a hard fitness load/program during the season affecting their capabilities on game day. 2ndly, if a player does come from a serious injury (as with players you have noted) the club has a policy that player will complete a mini pre season building a fitness base before they are considered for selection. Each player is assessed differently according to their own program. For eg, Gysberts has performed badly in endurance and needs to hit a minimum standard before he even becomes an option, whilst Tom McDonald has a natural fitness base the Gys doesnt. Skill and talent are secondary to fitness. No point contributing to more injuries playing a talented player. Another good example is Sam Blease playing sub many times, his fitness base is borderline but talent is very high

Sorry - long winded response OD, but important to why some of our more talented players are playing for Casey and Bate and Dunn are playing. You could also add Neeld is seperating the wheat from the Shaft. (think thats how the saying goes?#*).

chaff, actually. But very well constructed response.

Guys this is my list of players etc.

Please feel free to add comment or tell me I am wrong.

I am going to send this to KB at SEN. May ring in next Thursday.

We have 39 players on our main list we have played 32 so far this year the seven players without a game are below.

Gawn - out for the season before season started (knee)

Gysberts - injury in pre season so interrupted start then a broken jaw.

Jetta - out very early in season with bad ankle injury. First game this week.

Taggert - long term back injury probably will not play this year.

Strauss - one of the worst broken legs seen in AFL amazing he is back playing with Casey now.

Cook - injured hip and operation September last year interrupted pre season and only started playing with Casey in round??

Rookies

Nicholson - Played 6 Games

Evans - First week back after back injury in 2011 kept him out till first game this week at Casey.

Lawrence- series of injuries and form have kept him at Casey.

Couch - played 1 game.

Magner - 13 games.

Jai Sheahan - series of injuries have restricted him to a few games at Casey.

Williams - showed some early season form then serious Illness, 4 days in a coma keep him out for 4 weeks.

Nett Result - we have in total 46 players, we have played 37 - 80.4% of the list.

All players who have not played have either been out with season long injuries, or a serious injury.

Of the players on our list who have not played a senior game, there is not one that has not had a serious injury.

PS I will refine this a bit before I send it.

What are your thoughts?

Good response old dee, Gysberts also missed a lot of football to an ankle injury sustained early in the season and was coming back from that when he got the broken jaw ptetty soon after getting on the ground.

Of our senior list only Davis and Cook have not played senior football. Davis would have been close but his form has dropped over the last month, Cook is close but the coaches want him to earn his spot and not just give out games.

Williams was on the injury list and just coming back into the game when he got the illness, Sheahan has played some good football at Casey and is only now on the injury list, he was picked as a rookie and project player and was not expected to play senior football this year. Form has tailed off recently and injury has kept him off the park the last couple of weeks.

As posted earlier Denham does seem to have an issue with Schwab and this colours his view of the MFC, I wish he would come out and put it on the table rather than take cheap shots.

i'd rather have a conversation with a Jehovah's witness than listen to Dunnybrush.....we haven't blooded enough youth??...what the hell is our team made up of, if not bloody youth.

The guy is a hack (sorry to be so disrespectful to hacks out there)....does no research and like 98% of journo's get s a stupid idea in his head and thinks its a fact.

Does anyone know if he is on twitter??....i've looked for him but couldn't find him.

• 9 months later...

BUMP.

Heard him late last week calling for Neale Daniher (the Reverend) to return to the club as Football Manager. Said Neale would go along way to fixing Melbourne's problems...

Whilst that call remains to be seen, what shape did Daniher leave the list in when he walked? And what was his record in developing youngsters under his watch?

Does anyone recall? I don't think Greg does.

Great coach though, in which the players every now and then played for. Every second year anyway...but we were lucky to have him as coach and did well given the limited funding for the FD in not so good conditions.

edit: I suppose it just goes to show, you don't really need the best facilities to perform....

BUMP.

Heard him late last week calling for Neale Daniher (the Reverend) to return to the club as Football Manager. Said Neale would go along way to fixing Melbourne's problems...

Whilst that call remains to be seen, what shape did Daniher leave the list in when he walked? And what was his record in developing youngsters under his watch?

Great coach though, in which the players every now and then played for. Every second year anyway...but we were lucky to have him as coach and did well given the limited funding for the FD in not so good conditions.

edit: I suppose it just goes to show, you don't really need the best facilities to perform....

The guys been head of the FD for years at WC, he completed a rebuild at WC in 3yrs, the list was starting to wither but he wouldv rebuilt it twice as quick as the morons that have been in charge since he left, you love sticking the boots into him, how many finals series did he coach us to, guys like Yze, Bruce , Green , White, Brown, Farmer played in multiple finals, around the 17 mark, these losers that play today cant even win a [censored] game.

BUMP.

Daniher as a football manager is a great call. Neil Balme was a worse coach before Daniher and Geelong did ok.

• Like 1

The guys been head of the FD for years at WC, he completed a rebuild at WC in 3yrs, the list was starting to wither but he wouldv rebuilt it twice as quick as the morons that have been in charge since he left, you love sticking the boots into him, how many finals series did he coach us to, guys like Yze, Bruce , Green , White, Brown, Farmer played in multiple finals, around the 17 mark, these losers that play today cant even win a [censored] game.

Stick the boots into him? How did you interpret that from me stating he was a great coach and we were lucky to have him?

Facts are he was a good coach for the club.

• Like 1

Can not understand how some Demons supporters say Daniher wrecked us (got us to a Grand Final), Bailey wrecked us (we had a better record every year), but Neeld is our saviour (4 wins from 25 games, average losing margin this year of 107 points).

I know your question was rhetorical but he coached us into a grand final, 5 other finals, and twice into the bottom 2.

Also he apparently holds the record for the longest coaching career in the history of AFL/VFL (1998 to mid 2007) and not win a premership... presumably because most get the axe earlier on but his every second year helped him.

Edited by PJ_12345