Alot of people here are saying 'His only had 40 games', well how many games does he need?

If his going to be a 200 game player then thats already 1/5th of that 200 gone. What return in terms of % of games played is an acceptable amount to be developing? Another season and thats almost 1/3rd of his 200 game career gone to 'developing'

What is the acceptable % which a player can be in the 'developing' mode for.

No point having a 200 game player if 100 of those are spent developing. If that were the case then half our team would always be developing and we would never win a flag.

Jamar??

Jolly??

Ok, I'll dumb it down for you.

Ability to win contested footy.

Steven Stretch didn't win a lot of contested footy. Was one of the first picked every week. Some players are like that.

Do you know another KPF that doesn't crash packs? Buddy Franklin.

He roams around the ground using his pace and gets his situations one on one, rather than from packs. He's actually more likely to be roving the pack than competing for a mark in it.

The pack crashers in that forward line are Roughead and Hale.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Great point I've heard before. The reason everyone things of Franklin as being a marking machine is because he is taller than everyone else, so he plucks some, but he rarely is the better contested mark. He simply isn't that strong over head if you take his size out of the equation.

Unfortunately Watts isn't quite that big. He will need to improve his marking to be a superstar, but obviously his role won't depend on that ability.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh demonland......

BenHur should win the ' most non-biased demonlander of the decade' award.

Along with the most 'sensible' and 'fairest' poster of the year. It's a pleasure reading what you have to say. Please post more often.

As for Watts, I agree with the guy who said something about playing him in a similar role to that of Fyfe of Freo. I for one see many similarities.

Roaming half forward or wingman. That's where I hope to see him develop his game.

And hopefully, the intensity and appetite for physical contact will find it's way into Jack Watts' football.

• Like 1

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh demonland......

BenHur should win the ' most non-biased demonlander of the decade' award.

Along with the most 'sensible' and 'fairest' poster of the year. It's a pleasure reading what you have to say. Please post more often.

Yeah, he 'sees footy differently to the rest of us'...

• Like 1

Watts can play, he has a prior for getting a kick up the rectum and then performing. He probably will play round 1 and if history repeats itself he will play well.

Really looking to see how the season unfolds for him now. Let's not forget that Neeld starting drivng this bus very early and the media and others jumped on board after some ordinary NAB perfromanances.

I believed that Watts wouldn't play round 1, but clearly he is right in the mix now. If he now hits the season with some momentum it will be a credit to Jack and the coaching staff.

Yeah, he 'sees footy differently to the rest of us'...

There should be a separate board for those with true vision, so that they don't have to endure the slings and arrows of the outrageously ignorant. It's so lonely being right all the time but no-one realising it. Oh well.

• Like 1

Watts will be a better player if he "increases his intensity at the contest" or however you want to say it. He'll never be at the manic end of the scale but the good thing is it is a lot easier and more likely for him to do this than for Hurley to increase his agility for example.

• Like 1

im at the point now where I would be happy to trade him. He has done nothing special in 3 years, not even any glimpses to be honest. I reckon I would do something good on a footy field if I was given 30-40 games. He is just dropping in value at each time he squibs a contest or doesn't crash a pack.

• Like 2

im at the point now where I would be happy to trade him. He has done nothing special in 3 years, not even any glimpses to be honest. I reckon I would do something good on a footy field if I was given 30-40 games. He is just dropping in value at each time he squibs a contest or doesn't crash a pack.

JW just turned 21. Seriously 21! Jack was not born with the baulk of the incredible hulk so to expect JW to crash packs and physically destroy the opposition at the age of 21 is beyond dumb. He is not a midfielder who can walk in and see ball get ball as they say. He is playing what a lot of people have said is the hardest position to play in the AFL. To say he has shown nothing in any of his games really gets me going. I will say he hasn't blown a game away but to be honest being a forward in our team the last couple of years hasn't been easy on anyone (Brad Green) He has shown plenty in plenty of games for me. When we smashed freo last year JW set up that many goals for us. His game against richmond where I believe he kicked 3 and kicked a goal beating two tigers by himself gave me plenty to be happy with. Sure trade our number 1 draft pick who has shown plenty as of last saturday night and while your there you suit up since by your own accord you could show form if you played 30-40 games.

• Like 5

i am amazed at some of the criticism of jack on this site. sure he isnt the pack crashing big marking key forward we were hoping for when he was drafted, but he showed some big improvement last year, and has plenty of upside. he has just turned 21 for a start. we havent even started the season yet and people are writing him off. give the poor kid some time and im sure he will prove plenty of you wrong.

freak, your comments are ridiculous. to say that he hasnt even shown glimpses in three years just shows your lack of footy knowledge. i will readily admit that he hasnt set the world on fire, but there have definitely been glimpses. the 3 goal game against richmond would be just one example. i think if given the chance, you would find 17 other teams that would happily trade for jack.

• Like 2

The Anti-Oracle © has spoken!

Jack Watts will be a great of the Melbourne Football Club!

As it is, and always will be.

Amen.

• Like 4

Lol. Typical keyboard warrior stuff. You need balls just to make it onto an AFL list, and here you are thinking you'll do something special if you are gifted 30-40 games. You may succeed in getting a handball off before peeing your pants forum hero.

At the end of the day, if he isn't better than Naitanui then we have failed right? People, can't use the excuse of 'oh, but we needed a Key forward' because Watts will never be that key forward. We had the opportunity of picking up Naitanui and we chose not to, when I, and many other football followers knew that this was going to be a mistake. And Naitanui is streets ahead of Watts and is already a fantastic player.

Channel 7 talking about Jack Watts during the coverage of Jim's funeral made my blood boil.

FFS, can we all just find something else to talk about?!

Glad I wasn't the only one. I couldn't believe my ears!

I don't know who said it but Sandy Roberts gave it nothing in return, obviously accepting it as a Richard cranium comment.

Quite unbelievable indeed.

Edited by McQueen

We had the opportunity of picking up Naitanui and we chose not to, when I, and many other football followers knew that this was going to be a mistake. And Naitanui is streets ahead of Watts and is already a fantastic player.

There you go then. I believe there's a vacancy at MFC for head of recruiting, sounds like its got your name on it.

At the end of the day, if he isn't better than Naitanui then we have failed right? People, can't use the excuse of 'oh, but we needed a Key forward' because Watts will never be that key forward. We had the opportunity of picking up Naitanui and we chose not to, when I, and many other football followers knew that this was going to be a mistake. And Naitanui is streets ahead of Watts and is already a fantastic player.

Nic is not streets ahead of Jack, this is one of the biggest fallacies going around.

As far as room for development goes, Naitanui has 8 ft ceilings. Jack has 11 ft ceilings.

You will choke on these words one day.

• Like 1

Knocking Jack Watts has become a fashionable thing do to this season. As with many things in the AFL once a few commentators make comment everybody wants to jump on board. I think there are a few things we all need to remember to put the whole thing into perspective. I know many of these points have been made earlier but I would like to support them.

Firstly since Jack has been at the club the Demons have been consistently among the lowest ranked teams for creating inside 50's. We all know that playing on the half forward line is seen as one of the hardest positions on the field to play. Add to that the lack of supply and the degree of difficulty would have to increase significantly. Jack had three or four good games playing higher up the ground last year where he was able to be more involved in the play and was less reliant on supply from the midfield. His other solid games were when the team was playing well (Fremantle) and he had more opportunity as a forward to have an impact on the match.

In the last three years MFC has been developing in many areas of weakness. After watching the Demons play week after week our kicking effiency would have to be among the worst in the league. Playing as a forward trying to make something out the sub-standard disposal from the midfield and half backline at times looked to be close to impossible from the stands. Also the midfield has also been extremely indecisive with their forward movement making it hard for our forwards to create space and make good position.

This indecision also come from the lack of forward structure MFC has had for the past 5 or 6 seasons. Jack has often been the key forward for the past two of those years. This is an enormous task for a 19 or 20 year old. Nick Riewoldt had Fraser Gehrig playing full forward while he was developing and Jonathan Brown has Alistair Lynch to help during his development. With structure as a key to the new coaching regime and the inclusion of Mitch Clark it will be interesting to see how Jack fares this year.

I see Jacks lack of hardness more as a lack of self belief. I think this has been caused by him being asked to do to much to soon in his career. He has had to play as a key forward in a struggling team, often taking on the best defender of the opposition. As mentioned with a more structured game plan and forward line and the addition of MC, Jack will have much more opportunity to succeed. This should build his self belief and we will see his intensity increase as a result.

It may seem like I am making excuses, but in my opinion think Jack has been up against it so far in his career. At times I think he has been mismanaged by the club and I also think he is an easy target for the media. Assuming he stays relatively injury free, he has 10 years of footy ahead of him and possibly 180 to 225 games. I think we will all look back on his entire career with great memories (hopefully including a premiership or two).

• Like 4

Nic is not streets ahead of Jack, this is one of the biggest fallacies going around. As far as room for development goes, Naitanui has 8 ft ceilings. Jack has 11 ft ceilings.

And not to forget, Naitanui is nearly a year older.

• Like 1

At the end of the day, if he isn't better than Naitanui then we have failed right?

If he makes a meaningful contribution to a Melbourne premiership then we'll all win. Who cares how he compares to others based on where he was picked? The question for me, now that he's drafted and on our list, is whether he makes us a better team when he's in it. Whether we'd pick him number 1 again if we had our time over or whether we should have gone with Hurley or Naitanui is Bigfooty fodder for gleeful West Coast and Essendon supporters. He's on our list, he's improving and has incredible upside. Our job is to support him. Let's get on with it.

• Like 3

If he makes a meaningful contribution to a Melbourne premiership then we'll all win. Who cares how he compares to others based on where he was picked? The question for me, now that he's drafted and on our list, is whether he makes us a better team when he's in it. Whether we'd pick him number 1 again if we had our time over or whether we should have gone with Hurley or Naitanui is Bigfooty fodder for gleeful West Coast and Essendon supporters. He's on our list, he's improving and has incredible upside. Our job is to support him. Let's get on with it.

Appropriate name, Goodvibes. I'm in total agreement with you.

The Anti-Oracle © has spoken!

Jack Watts will be a great of the Melbourne Football Club!

As it is, and always will be.

Amen.

That was old years ago.

Freak goes to as many games as anyone on this site and gives confronting opinions.

Give it a rest.