The Priority Pick

Hells Gates

Guest José Mourinho

Compo picks certainly shouldn't come into the equation unless wee claim the loss off Scully (our previous compo pick) as part of our campaign.

If we get those picks F, I hope we offer picks 2 and 12 for a star player. Buy a Judd like Carlton did. They tanked but also brought in the elite senior player to help guide the way, the main difference between the two clubs approaches to rebuilding.

Kinda like Freo did when they traded for Croad?

I don't favour this path at all.

I'm happy to bring in experienced players who can play a role, but not "stars" atthe expense of mortgaging our future.

The risk is too high for the cost, and stars are often a product of their environment.

And who would you propose?

The only single player I'd consider would be Pendlebury for that sort of outlay.

With the draft already looking like 1, 2, 12, 23 (Viney), it would be hard to imagine getting too much more of a leg up. Although, the compo picks should not come into consideration when dealing out these priority picks.

As bad as this season has been so far, I still can't see us finishing below both of the franchise sides. We are in a dark hole atm, but we are also in the middle of our horror run of 7 of last season's top-8 opposition. After the break, there will be a dim light at the end of the long tunnel, and I predict our confidence will lift along with our performances.

GWS will struggle to win another game. GC should beat GWS at home. We have two home games against the franchise, and another in neutral-ish Canberra. We won't finish last.

So ..

2, 3, 12, 24 (Viney) or

3, 4, 12, 25 (Viney)

.. for us

(Yes, I believe we will be able to bluff or deal GC and GWS into handing us Viney as a second rounder.)

• Like 2

Agree wholeheartedly with other posters who state that compo picks don't come into the equation for a priority pick. I will be fuming if anyone at the AFL even hints at our need for a priority pick not being valid because we get picks 3/4 and 12 on top of our usual picks! Those were given to us for Scully, a number 1 pick who isn't on our list anymore! They are irrelevant!

Regarding our chances, if we finish with 1 to 3 wins and a percentage around 50-60%, after several years of poor finishes, I think the AFL will have to seriously consider a priority pick after the first round.

Edit: spelling

Edited by Cheesecake
  • Like 2

Agree wholeheartedly with other posters who state that compo picks don't come into the equation for a priority pick. I will be fuming if anyone at the AFL even hints at our need for a priority pick not being valid because we get picks 3/4 and 12 on top of our usual picks! Those we given to us for Scully, a number 1 pick who isn't on our list anymore! They are irrelevant!

Regarding our chances, if we finish with 1 to 3 wins and a percentage around 50-60%, after several years of poor finishes, I think the AFL will have to seriously consider a priority pick after the first round.

And on the subject of the Scully compo pics, I do find it interesting to compare what we could theoretically get should we finish bottom 3, as opposed to what we would have expected to get prior to the start of our dismal season.

I think many posters, assuming an 8 to 12 ladder position, thought that we might get, for example, picks 10 and 12 for Scully. In fact, we could now potentially get, for example, picks 3 and 12.

Whilst many of us thought that picks 10 and 12 would have been short change for Scully, picks 3 and 12 in a strong draft seems much more fair, I think you'll agree!

Guest José Mourinho

To be honest, I think the compo picks will come into consideration.

We have those in place of a player who would theoretically be improving our on-field performance, being a number 1 pick.

Consider if we didn't have the picks, and had retained Scully, yet he was out for the season with an ACL injury.

Would we expect to receive a priority pick then?

Maybe.

Understand where the arguement comes from guys, but we need to win games (or at least try 100%) so we can attract experience and mature talent in the Free Agency Trade. We do not have 5 years more to wait. This club must rise up the ladder. Young kids learning on the run Geelong Style.

Sorry, I was under the illusion that this draft was still a compromised one (being that picks one and two still go to GWS and GC). Not true?

Edited by AdamFarr

Sorry, I was under the allusion that this draft was still a compromised one (being that picks one and two still go to GWS and GC). Not true?

Not that I am aware of, I imagine the only reason that they would have been assigned those picks is because everyone assumed them to finish last and second last this season.

Whats the use of priority picks if we keep wasting them

It isnt always about what number you pick but who you pick thats been a problem MFC have had for a long time

But its a nice problem to have going forward from where we are at at the moment

I hope and pray our recruiting improves and we have a development framework in place to fast track a great team

Heres hoping

wonder if the AFL would ever have enough of MFC wasting talent.

Imagine some of these wasted potential players were developed to there potential at other clubs? Could the game possibly be a hell of a lot more exciting if these players had gone to superclubs with all these extra super stars in the system on top of what already exists.

We can have 50 priority picks because if we haven't changed the culture of development in this club, we're just going to end up with 50 more Addam Marics. MFC aren't GWS or GC, we need some credibility back predominantly through our actions and on all 4's asking for more priorities isn't the right way to do it. Let's use our 3 first round picks this year- with a new infrastructure underway like it is at the present develop the [censored] out of them and not need to worry about one more priority pick in the clubs history. Let's win this premiership on our own two feet not given to us like the future 'asterisked' Carlton, GWS or Gold Coast ones will be.

We can have 50 priority picks because if we haven't changed the culture of development in this club, we're just going to end up with 50 more Addam Marics.

Maric wasn't a victim of culture, he was a wasted high draft pick. Richmond seems to have a considerably better culture and he's not exactly setting the world on fire over there... is he even getting games anymore?

If we are serious get Matt Rendell to oversee the draft,

He would be a excellent assett, how many might there be 6 changes or more ?

go dees

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

If we are serious     get Matt Rendell to oversee the draft,

He would be a excellent assett, how many might there be 6 changes or more ?

go dees

Maybe up to 10 changes.

I know Mr.Demetriou is currently enjoying the Olympics in London with little bro Gil. It would seem a million miles away from the AFL right now. And even further away from their thinking of awarding any priority pick to a club struggling performance wise (2 and 15 with a percentage of 63.8%) at the AFL's discretion.

With the draft already looking like 1, 2, 12, 23 (Viney), it would be hard to imagine getting too much more of a leg up. Although, the compo picks should not come into consideration when dealing out these priority picks.

This^

And dare I say it, I would think any future priority picks might go to struggling interstate club, not to a club in a city where more AFL teams exist than it can arguably support.J

Edited by Moonshadow

• 2 weeks later...

SImple question really.

The priority picks were scrapped so now they are only going to be granted for clubs at the discretion of the afl. Now, we will finish the season with only 4 wins, and last on the ladder (excluding gold coast and gws). We received compensation for losing scully, so I don't understand why we aren't pushing for a compensation pick for only winning 4 games.

Could you imagine we asked and they actually gave us one? lmao

I don't think the club will be asking. Particularly during an investigation....

Freak, the AFL Commission will convene (see post above yours) at the end of the season and consider, review and use it's discretion given what has been explained in that link. ie Premiership points, %, performance, injuries, etc etc....

By the way, the AFL would take into account that our club has activated the compo picks for this year. Like it or not this would have to be taken into consideration eventhough MFC supporters would scream that it shouldn't be taken into account.

SImple question really.

The priority picks were scrapped so now they are only going to be granted for clubs at the discretion of the afl. Now, we will finish the season with only 4 wins, and last on the ladder (excluding gold coast and gws). We received compensation for losing scully, so I don't understand why we aren't pushing for a compensation pick for only winning 4 games.

Are you kidding the afl will not give as any priorty pick, the media is calling for our blood, carlton will gettt AWAY WITH TANKING, we will not the AFL is looking for a scapegoat, and it will be the mfc, they want the media to shut up about tanking, they will apeases the media, dont be surprised if we lose all of you first round draft picks, the AFL dont want us to get better, they need to punish as, so the media will be happy, in the AFL's eyes this will put tanking to bed all comdem as to a life on the bottom for another 6 years.