2012 Ladder Prediction

Lifelong Demon

I'm with you - Stay with your optimism - they are all a bunch of negative pessimists around here. (Toxic) Realists they will "claim" - mentally scared I say. Go Dees

In the past I have always been one of the more optimistic posters, but even I am predicting 17th this year. What have you seen so far that could make you think there is a reason for being optimistic for this year?

In this case it is NOT a case of "being realistic" equating to mentally scarred (or did you really mean scared?)... it's simply a matter of taking the form from the latter part of last year and the opening portion of this season (when most of us would have expected us to be 3-1 on the plus side of the ledger) and looking at the downward trajectory we have taken.

Guest Dr Who

In the past I have always been one of the more optimistic posters, but even I am predicting 17th this year. What have you seen so far that could make you think there is a reason for being optimistic for this year?

In this case it is NOT a case of "being realistic" equating to mentally scarred (or did you really mean scared?)... it's simply a matter of taking the form from the latter part of last year and the opening portion of this season (when most of us would have expected us to be 3-1 on the plus side of the ledger) and looking at the downward trajectory we have taken.

I'm 90% happy with the way the season has gone so far. Sure I would have loved a win - but I can understand why we are where we are.

Keep the investment up, further improve the programs, build the base & core fitness, give our recovery people time, invest in a few more key performance coaches - we need an "Arizona" to prepare properly - then we are ready to step up.

At season end I'm sure we will approach the list management process professionally as we always have and maximise our two compensation picks.

I'm prepared to wait - in the mean time I will focus on the positives. I'm looking forward.

I'm 90% happy with the way the season has gone so far. Sure I would have loved a win - but I can understand why we are where we are.

Keep the investment up, further improve the programs, build the base & core fitness, give our recovery people time, invest in a few more key performance coaches - we need an "Arizona" to prepare properly - then we are ready to step up.

At season end I'm sure we will approach the list management process professionally as we always have and maximise our two compensation picks.

I'm prepared to wait - in the mean time I will focus on the positives. I'm looking forward.

You must eat a lot of brussell sprouts doc to come up with all that shyte..................or you could be just trolling again

• Like 1

Guest Dr Who

Lol ... and I actually did let out a loud gaffawing belly laugh.

Yeah I will be 100% happy when we can get 45,000 - 50,000 attendance per week (rain hail snow or shine) make plenty money that we can invest back into our club.

But then we a reliant on the fans - ahhhh well looks like I will just have to be happy at 90% such is life circa 2012 (Daisy)

17th - 19th. Yes, we can finish bottom. I'm guessing 18th! With GWS just below us.

If we tank against GWS at the G end of season we could almost guarantee PICKS 1 & 2, 13, Viney and hopefully a key Freebie Agent!

I can only see a win coming against GWS & maybe GC.

We play GWS twice! I think we will only win one of those... And Ablett will beat us by himself for GC!

So realistically I can see 1 win.

17th - 19th. Yes, we can finish bottom. I'm guessing 18th! With GWS just below us.

Are you saying they'll introduce a new team just to keep us off the bottom?

Agree.

And if Ablett misses the Round 7 match v the giants, the Giants could have their first win.

Did a predictor exercise the other day on the AFL website and I'll just say my exercise shows we're a fair way from the optimistic OP'ers prediction. (15th-18th).

So true, 16th or 17th for me.

Just look at what has occured since Round 22 2007. Compare Carlscum to the MFC over the last 5 years.

It is a disgrace to even consider that the MFC could finish 17-18 this year and wait for draft handouts.

What happened was that Carlton was at the end of the long tanking period that started in the early 2000s, and we were well on our way to the bottom after having played finals the year before with an ailing team.

Before 2008 Carlton recruited Walker with a priority pick #2, Murphy with a priority pick #1, Kennedy (who they later traded for Judd) with a pick #4, Gibbs with a pick #1, Hampson with a priority pick #17, Kreuzer with a priority pick #1, Judd with a traded pick #3 and Yarran with a pick #6. Despite the awful trades with us for Johnson and McLean, they did very well out of getting Henderson (a former pick #6) by dispensing with that sore named Fevola (some of whom on here would have liked to pick up).

That's a strong basis for their whole resurgence (one we have not come close to matching) but it's taken them another 4 years to get to premiership contention ... 10 years all up.

By that yardstick, anything earlier than 2016 and we'd be doing well, particularly since one of our priority picks did a runner and set us back two years.

Edited by maurie

What happened was that Carlton was at the end of the long tanking period that started in the early 2000s, and we were well on our way to the bottom after having played finals the year before with an ailing team.

Before 2008 Carlton recruited Walker with a priority pick #2, Murphy with a priority pick #1, Kennedy (who they later traded for Judd) with a pick #4, Gibbs with a pick #1, Hampson with a priority pick #17, Kreuzer with a priority pick #1, Judd with a traded pick #3 and Yarran with a pick #6. Despite the awful trades with us for Johnson and McLean, they did very well out of getting Henderson (a former pick #6) by dispensing with that sore named Fevola (some of whom on here would have liked to pick up).

That's a strong basis for their whole resurgence (one we have not come close to matching) but it's taken them another 4 years to get to premiership contention ... 10 years all up.

By that yardstick, anything earlier than 2016 and we'd be doing well, particularly since one of our priority picks did a runner and set us back two years.

There are good drafts and there are ordinary drafts; fortunately for Carlton they've had a few down years where the draft was strong and as a result have picked up some very good talent, of course they've done well with later picks as well.

When we had picks 3 and 5 we got Sylvia who has never lived up to expectations and McLean who we traded for a mid teen pick. Judd went to West Coast as a pick 3 and Buddy went to Hawthorn for pick 5, I just it's just a bit of luck at times.

Guest Dr Who

Dont forget Richard Pratt & messers Kernahan & Swann have never kicked a ball in vain in their renascence - but the key is they are footy people.

Ohhh yes and the $$$$$$$$$$

& Im sure we assisted in bolstering their coaching/development staff - Ratten, Riley, Williams & now Prendergast.

Edited by Dr Who

Guest Dr Who

There are good drafts and there are ordinary drafts; fortunately for Carlton they've had a few down years where the draft was strong and as a result have picked up some very good talent, of course they've done well with later picks as well.

When we had picks 3 and 5 we got Sylvia who has never lived up to expectations and McLean who we traded for a mid teen pick. Judd went to West Coast as a pick 3 and Buddy went to Hawthorn for pick 5, I just it's just a bit of luck at times.

LMAO classic quote "it's just a bit of luck at times." LMAO this is hilarious. Sorry but you have NFI.

You make your own "luck" in football. But you stick with your rubbish.

No Maurie, what has happened is we have a list of players who are not fit enough and have under performed over the last 5 years, whilst being paid top $$$$.

Stop thinking everything just happens with draft picks.

• Like 1

hahaha..

This is my favourite line: "At season end I'm sure we will approach the list management process professionally as we always have and maximise our two compensation picks."

You ARE trolling, right?

hahaha..

This is my favourite line: "At season end I'm sure we will approach the list management process professionally as we always have and maximise our two compensation picks."

You ARE trolling, right?

I've had the term in the back of my head but finally remembered it! Dr Who is a "Concern Troll" ... http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-concern-trolling.htm

Only he's not even a very good one.

Guest Dr Who

hahaha..

You ARE trolling, right?

So you are not allowed to look for the positives? Yet you have a go at someone who wants to support their team.

Try it one day - you might surprise yourself. We are getting closer - tonights game the boys gave their all.

I full understand why we are where we are - if you and others cant see that - thats your problem.

Go Dees!

Edited by Dr Who