FB: Bartram , Sellar , Rivers

HB: Garland , Frawley , Bennell

C : Watts , Trengove , Bate

HF: Petterd , Martin , Green

F : Howe , Clark , Davey

R : Jamar , Moloney , Jones

I/C: Magner , Blease, Gysberts

SUB: Grimes

I'm guessing somthing like this... Maybe without one of Bennell or Blease for Couch?

FB: Bartram, Sellar, Rivers

HB: Grimes, Frawley, Garland

C: Blease, Moloney, Jones

HF: Green, Watts, Howe,

FF: Petterd, Clark, Davey,

R: Jamar, Trengove, Magner

IC: Martin, Bail, McKenzie, sub Tapscott (as he adds flexability can go fwd/back)

Emerg: Bate, Dunn, Tynan

I don't get the love for Couch and Magner in this thread. I've seen them be good grunt players but neither have yet to do anything at all classy. Putting both in would be silly IMO. Couch is very slow and would struggle to keep up with McLean. He couldn't break away at Casey let alone senior level. Gysberts is much more of a chance.

I like Tynan but he's nowhere near senior selection. He does nice things and he's hard but he needs an apprenticeship.

Interesting that Bail played predominately as a pressure forward on Saturday and for all I like him he's in the 18 to 26th best player at the moment and will need to take his chance when it comes. McKenzie has only played 5 quarters of footy this year and didn't play Saturday. He has to be doubtful.

To be fair to Couch and Magner - they have been picked up at 23 and 24 as 'ready-to-go' mids by a club that would have one of the worst midfields going around...

I would plug them in and play them.

As they say - if you have 'em, you may aswell put them in the guts Rd1.

Paraphrased.

i agree that we cant go into this game with too many grunt 'inside' players, i think with Moloney Mckenzie Magner and to an extent Jones it will be enough, then add the silk of Trengove Gysberts Blease and Grimes and we really should beat the lions.

Because they're both tackling and clearance machines. Couch was terrific on Saturday night.

Who was the last tackling and clearance machine at Melbourne ?

Well, you'd have to say Jordie is a tackling machine, and Moloney, providing Jamar is playing well, is our clearance machine? Just my opinion.

Well, you'd have to say Jordie is a tackling machine, and Moloney, providing Jamar is playing well, is our clearance machine? Just my opinion.

It will be interesting to see how Neeld sets up this year. Moloney has had a terrific rapport with Jamar, but is less successful clearing the ball once it hits the deck, this is where Magner and Couch get their hands dirty.

McKenzie is a great tackler as was Junior, but I love the grunt Magner and Couch bring to the team. Whether there's room for both is the question.

It will be interesting to see how Neeld sets up this year. Moloney has had a terrific rapport with Jamar, but is less successful clearing the ball once it hits the deck, this is where Magner and Couch get their hands dirty.

McKenzie is a great tackler as was Junior, but I love the grunt Magner and Couch bring to the team. Whether there's room for both is the question.

Couch reminds me of Fisher, Valenti and the like. Good player but not someone who will really have an impact. And he's slow even at VFL level.

Magner will do me. I thought Couch was good on Saturday at stopping the opposition take control at clearances but he doesn't "create" much. Gysberts does/did.

Couch reminds me of Fisher, Valenti and the like. Good player but not someone who will really have an impact. And he's slow even at VFL level.

Magner will do me. I thought Couch was good on Saturday at stopping the opposition take control at clearances but he doesn't "create" much. Gysberts does/did.

I really liked Gysberts game on Saturday night after thinking he just couldn't get into it the week before.

I don't reckon Couch needs pace with the role he'll be playing at AFL level and I thought most of his disposals were quality, even the ones under pressure. He really hunts the ball in packs, is very strongly built and tackles ferociously. His lack of class may count against him, but I liked what I saw and watched him ultra closely. I just don't know whether you can have both he and Magner performing such similar roles.

But there's one thing I'm certain of and that is Neeld will give him an opportunity at some point to show his wares. The rest is up to him. I'll buy the shares you're not taking up. :)

EDIT: I like him much more than the players you mentioned.

Edited by Ben-Hur

Fair points OD , but Tappy as a sub should be ok and you need a bit of mongrel in the side . I reckon that Neeld will want Grimes out there . He has made him co captain and may want him in the team for this reason alone . I reckon he only played half a game for Casey to give him a bit of a run . Also , the team I picked is the one I think Neeld will pick . I'd probably have Tynan in there for Davey .

We need to inject some new players into the team . The previous group have been found wanting . We'll find out soon enough .

Cheers

The problem I see Macca of playing Grimes when he is not fully fit is he could very well get injured again.

We all know he is brittle and we need him to play as many games as possible this year.

Play him at Casey the next two weeks, he will be then primed for the Richmond game.

The problem I see Macca of playing Grimes when he is not fully fit is he could very well get injured again.

We all know he is brittle and we need him to play as many games as possible this year.

Play him at Casey the next two weeks, he will be then primed for the Richmond game.

You may be right OD . If Grimes isn't fit enough to play then Joel Macdonald comes back into proceedings . Mainly because he's a pure backman .

Cheers

Edited by Macca

FB: Bartram, Sellar, Rivers

HB: Grimes, Frawley, Garland

C: Trengove, Moloney, Jones

HF: Green, Watts, Howe,

FF: Petterd, Clark, Davey,

R: Jamar, Bate, Magner

IC: Martin, Bail, Blease

S: Tynan

Emer: Dunn, Couch, Gysberts

Not matchfit for selection: Strauss, Tapscott, McKenzie

I think Tynan has done enough to earn a debut. His attack on the footy and energy could come in handy as a sub who can play forward, midfield or back. As above I don't think Strauss, Tapscott or McKenzie have played enough for round 1. I've gone tall down back as no one else is in any form. I'm including Bail because I think he's a better tagging option than Crouch due to his ability to play other positions as well. Unfortunately the rest of the midfield pick themselves.

He can get injured just as easily at Casey could he not?

Confusing post- or maybe I've had too much tonight and have missed something.

Based on Casey form, injuries and nab I believe the 22 will be

Bartram Frawley Garland Grimes Rivers MacDonald Blease Trengove Davey Watts Martin Green Petterd Clarke Jamar Moloney Jones Gysberts Magner Bennell Bate McKenzie

Tapscott to play one or two more at Casey along with a few others who need to find form.

Id say Howey might sneak in

A lot of our "average" players really need to step it up this year If we're to make an impact. I found it tough to put together a best 22 for round 1 that would beat very many teams to be honest. It's lucky we have Brisbane this week, safe to say I'll be fairly worried if we can't beat Brisbane at the G without JBrown.

• Like 2

B: Bartram Frawley Rivers

HB: Bennell Sellar Garland

C: Trengove Maloney Blease

HF: Watts Martin Davey

F: Petterd Clark Green

R: Jamar Jones Magner

I/C: Howe McKenzie Gysberts

S: Dunn

Grimes, Tapscott not ready/fit

Bail/Nicholson - haven't quite done enough

Bate/Couch squeezed out. Got enough slowish mids.

Tynan - like him, but not quite ready

Personally, I don't like Frawley, Garland, Rivers & Sellar in the same side, but I think that's the way they'll go.

Edited by Colesy

A lot of our "average" players really need to step it up this year If we're to make an impact. I found it tough to put together a best 22 for round 1 that would beat very many teams to be honest. It's lucky we have Brisbane this week, safe to say I'll be fairly worried if we can't beat Brisbane at the G without JBrown.

If by 'average' you mean 'senior' then yes, our senior players are average, er, our senior players need to step up...

Personally, I don't like Frawley, Garland, Rivers & Sellar in the same side, but I think that's the way they'll go.

Sellar can go forward, so that flexiblity will be handy.

I think Grimes will play, he had good match time up to being injured at training and Saturday at Casey was a good run leading in.

It's been a long time since I've looked forward to Thursday selection as much. It's going to be fascinating to see who Neeld goes with and where (which we won't really see until Saturday). He said at the CD that he was experimenting in the NAB Cup so we may see some differences. Can't wait to see who he likes and how he sets it up.

I will prepare to be shot down, but does anyone think that Davis is a sneaky chance to get a game? He has played all thr pre season games, and maybe a bit of a dark horse. Have not seen his name mentioned yet.

I wouldn't be surprised. IMO he was very good against Collingwood. Not in my personal best 22, but not too far off it either.

Our 22 is completely unpredictable, I tried to take a stab at what i thought the team might be this week but in all honesty i have no idea.

Who knows what Neeld will do, im so anxious to see who he picks and where. Personally I cant wait till rd 1, its going to be a great start to a great year.

PS is there some form of walk to the G or anything happening this week or a place to have a few froths before hand?

• Like 1