• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

You poach, you pay

Guest Jackie

Guest Jackie

Interesting article in the Age by Caroline Wilson regarding the poaching of coaches. Lots of bellyaching mainly by Colllingwood with sympathy from Vlad over our early signing of Mark Neeld and the promises of harsh penalties for future offenders. Talk about unacceptable disruption to clubs etc. The one who has none even brings up the word "integrity" again. Shame he never mentioned that word on the Scully issue. A key whine is that of an unnamed assistant who allegedly downloaded key tactics and club secrets to use at his presentation. Not hard to figure out who they may be talking about. See article

http-::www.theage.com.au:afl:afl-news:you-poach-you-pay-20120322-1vmwi.html

The big issue I have with this is that the coaching disruptions that the Pies (and the Cats for that matter) had going into the Grand Final were not coach-poaching. We, an other clubs, advertised a vacant position which assistant coaches who wanted to make to move up applied for.

I mean if a club sacks a coach/has one leave before the end of the season are we just meant to sit on our hands and wait for the finals to finish before trying to fill the position. With, what two weeks before trade week?

The Ross Lyon one was underhanded, but it's wrong to tie one hand behind the backs of clubs that are actively seeking to fill a vacant senior coach position.

The big issue I have with this is that the coaching disruptions that the Pies (and the Cats for that matter) had going into the Grand Final were not coach-poaching. We, an other clubs, advertised a vacant position which assistant coaches who wanted to make to move up applied for.

I mean if a club sacks a coach/has one leave before the end of the season are we just meant to sit on our hands and wait for the finals to finish before trying to fill the position. With, what two weeks before trade week?

The Ross Lyon one was underhanded, but it's wrong to tie one hand behind the backs of clubs that are actively seeking to fill a vacant senior coach position.

The system of proposing to make clubs that poach coaches pay a fee will not work. In Mark Neeld's instance he had less than 10 weeks left on his contract. Melbourne would have had to pay out the remainder of his contract which would have been little compensation to Collingwood(a small sum not that I would care in this instance).

Ucanchoose suggestion above is really the only solution to losing key personal during the season or finals.

Guest fitness

Also relevant is the fact that the working panel on this included people from Collingwood (Gary Pert) and Hawthorn (Stuart Fox - formerly of Geelong). It doesn't say who else is on it (aside from Brett Clothier from the AFL) but surely they ought to have some representation from a club nearer to the other end of the ladder in order to balance things out?

The AFL playing Judge and Jury again at the behest of their favourite money-spinners clubs, and all in their favourite spin of "integrity" and "morality".

Seems they want to run the sport as a corporate business but with their own rules of corporate governance

I wonder how these new rules would stand up under the laws governing contracts that other all corporations have to abide by.

I don't see why the clubs can't sort out these issues within current contract law without the heavy handed AFL setting it's own "laws".

What a load of hooey ( the article !)

The problem is, as opposed to players who have to honor contracts if the club says so, clubs so far have been sympthetic to assistant coaches applying for senior gigs. (lets not mention Collingwoods poaching of a senior coach into a senior coaches role)

So let the assistants apply whenever and let them be appointed whenever but be professional like Neeld was and take up his offer when he said I will assistant coach until the end of season. Sanderson also volunteered to stay.

You cant have it both ways - either keep the assistant on until seasons end or dont complain if you chose to let them go.

I dont think I would like to see the AFL go down the road of making assistant coaches honour their contract if they have a shot at a senior coaches role. (I will admit it is a lot murkier about assistants moving prior to contract end to be an assistant elsewhere)

• Like 1

I would imagine that if say 4 clubs were looking for a coach and there was one outstanding applicant wouldn't the likes of Collingwood and Hawthorn pay the fine to get the best candidate? Was Malthouse still under contract at West Coast when he started chatting to Eddie about being the pies coach? This will never work out well for smaller clubs.

I remember Collingwood actually spruiking the virtues of Neeld before we signed him .Now they cry and whinge after the fact which is just typical Filth .

Anyway ,tough [censored] to them .

• Like 3

Guest melbman

AD plays a good game. He constantly reminds us in the media that he occupies the moral high ground, though his actions don't seem to support his stance mind you.

I seem to remember a certain backline assistant coach breaking his MFC contract after just renewing it and dashing off to join pretty-boy Hirdy

In the cases of Neeld/Sanderson under new AFL conditions, they would still apply, accept new contract beginning at end of current one, tell no-one at old club, sit out contract , then take up new contract at new club.

So whats the difference. Both volunteered to sit out their existing contracts but clubs decided no.

Oh, thats right, its all about integrity!

• Like 2

1. We advertised the position. Anyone had the right to apply

2. Its not all about Collingwood, Geelong lost one too.

3. It didnt affect the Grand Final

4. Did Eddie play by this motto when he poached Malthouse

5. Neeld wanted to stay and coach the finals, but it was Malthouse who told him to leave.

6. I'd rather get the coach I want than wait for the smorgasboard after the season ends to find a coach. Id accept a fine for the right coach!

7. AFL is introducing free agency - isnt that a type of poaching?

8. AFL is riddled with corruption, they need a big clean out. AD has all his puppets licking the cream off his hands.

9. Integrity? Well AD, why dont you mention Scully? Oh thats right, it was a masterstroke wasnt it.... well you know what, so was us getting Neeld.

10. AD GFY.

Edited by Hells Gates
  • Like 2

5. Neeld wanted to stay and coach the finals, but it was Malthouse who told him to leave.

6. I'd rather get the coach I want than want for the smorgasboard after the season ends to find a coach. Id accept a fine for the right coach!

8. AFL is riddled with corruption, they need a big clean out. AD has all his puppets licking the cream off his hands.

9. Integrity? Well AD, why dont you mention Scully? Oh thats right, it was a masterstroke wasnt it.... well you know what, so was us getting Neeld.

10. AD GFY.

yeah the hypocrisy is monumental

and just coincidental that it follows collingwood's public bleating

point no. 10 +1

• Like 1

WHY ARE WE ALWAYS GETTING DRAGGED INTO THESE STUPID ARGUMENTS??????

Nobody mentions Dean Wellman who left with a year to go on his contract??

Nobody talks about Carlton tanking the last 11 games of the year to get Judd?

Nobody talks about Carlton tanking to get Kruezer?

Nobody talks about Carlton winning 3 wooden spoons in a row?

Nobody talks about how we were stiffed by Scott Thompson.

A few talk about who we were stiffed by Scull and his fat dad.

They all talk about Melbourne.

Stuff 'em. I am sick of Melbourne being dragged through the mud on these stupid issues. What are we - cursed?? Stynes, Broadbridge, Wight, Barassi, Norm Smith........aaaarggghhhh

As for Coaches. If clubs stop sacking coaches mid contract then guess what might happen?? People might actually start honouring contracts.

(rant over)

• Like 1

These Puppets at the top are driving me away from the game. I have never seen anything like it. I cringe when I pick up the paper in the morning. Absolute corruption. Im not just talking about MFC its right across the board. Anyone who follows or listens to Grant Thomas would know, he has been writing some great sories the last 6 months.

Here are some articles for you to read, hits the nail on the head most times Thomo.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/blog.aspx?blogentryid=941074&showcomments=true

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/blog.aspx?blogentryid=955123&showcomments=true

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/blog.aspx?blogentryid=956008&showcomments=true

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/blog.aspx?blogentryid=962792&showcomments=true

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/blog.aspx?blogentryid=983151&showcomments=true

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/blog.aspx?blogentryid=987886&showcomments=true

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/blog.aspx?blogentryid=989376&showcomments=true

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/blog.aspx?blogentryid=992317&showcomments=true

Once again... AD GFY!

6. I'd rather get the coach I want than want for the smorgasboard after the season ends to find a coach. Id accept a fine for the right coach!

10. AD GFY.

Pretty much how I see it

Especially the part re Collingwood poaching A SENIOR PREMIERSHIP WINNING COACH in Malthouse

What I would also like to know - take the Neeld scenario for example

A lot of talk before we'd announced Neeld as Senior Coach was that he was going to be offered the gig at Adelaide

Under this scheme would Adelaide have been fined also?

I would imagine that if say 4 clubs were looking for a coach and there was one outstanding applicant wouldn't the likes of Collingwood and Hawthorn pay the fine to get the best candidate? Was Malthouse still under contract at West Coast when he started chatting to Eddie about being the pies coach? This will never work out well for smaller clubs.

He was and was sprung by WA Media meeting eddie for lunch

I'm really sick of collingwood. First theyre all for the league expansion and compensation is fair but don't you dare take anyone from collingwood or we will crush you. I acknowledge it would be more than slightly annoying to lose a coach in finals but from what I remembered neeld offered to stay and you showed him the door.

Geelong have lost ablett, Thompson and a slew of assistant coaches over the last few years. You don't see them constantly complaining do you Eddie? They just got on with the business of winning premierships.

• Like 1

Guest Jackie

I'm really sick of collingwood. First theyre all for the league expansion and compensation is fair but don't you dare take anyone from collingwood or we will crush you. I acknowledge it would be more than slightly annoying to lose a coach in finals but from what I remembered neeld offered to stay and you showed him the door.

Geelong have lost ablett, Thompson and a slew of assistant coaches over the last few years. You don't see them constantly complaining do you Eddie? They just got on with the business of winning premierships.

There seems to be some acrimony at the Collinwood/Neeld split. Whether they were hoping he would stick around to nursemaid Buckley or perhaps it has something to do with intellectual property I don't know.

There seems to be some acrimony at the Collinwood/Neeld split. Whether they were hoping he would stick around to nursemaid Buckley or perhaps it has something to do with intellectual property I don't know.

They are sore losers, always have been & always will be, especially whilst the ego maniac McGuire is in charge.

• Like 1