• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Jimmy's Legacy - will we take up the challenge?

hardtack

Assuming these words actually came from the mouth of Jack Grimes and were not a product of Jesse Hogan applying "journalistic licence", we have a very mature and level headed young man as a co-captain, which augers well for the future. I was taken by the following opening paragraph which prompted me to start this thread where people can offer their thoughts:

"ANY early-season victories by Melbourne fuelled by the death of Jim Stynes will be hollow if the players' passion dissipates, rookie captain Jack Grimes said yesterday." (full article: http://www.smh.com.a...0320-1vi5t.html)

I am wondering what the impact of Jimmy's passing is going to be on this club. Will we see an inspired and unified group going out there and punching above their weight, or will we see them crumble under the weight of expectation (many will believe they have an "obligation" to perform above themselves)?

In the past I think many of us thought the tragic loss of Troy Broadbridge would see the players lift in his memory, but instead, despite making the 8, we took a step backward, albeit just one rung on the ladder (but that was in a season we were expected to make the top 5). And although brought on by completely different circumstances, I believe that we were flat in the wake of the Liam Jurrah issue.

I suppose my question is, how will this relatively young group of players be affected by the tragic and dramatic events of this year?

Edited by hardtack

It's a good question, and one I've been considering as well. How long can the players ride the waves emotion attributed to Jimmy, and what sort of affect will it have on their ability to perform?

I don't know whether the team should be going into the season (and all the games) with a do it for Jimmy mentality. What will honour him more in my eyes is the players remembering him in their darkest moments and using his strength to get them back on their feet and fight. It's his courage, determination, and his mantra of Whatever It Takes that we must adopt and abide by.

Certain players will be more affected then others, I was quite taken aback (and humbled) to see how hard it hit Mitch Clark and I think he will be better for it. Jack and Jack both have very mature heads, but they are still so young so they will be the ones I'll be most interested to watch. What I ultimately hope is that this will galvanise the ground, and make them a closer unit.

Edited by Pates

Assuming these words actually came from the mouth of Jack Grimes ... we have a very mature and level headed young man as a co-captain, which augers well for the future.

i certainly agree with this sentiment ^^

And I agree with what JG is saying.. in essence, the players shouldn't be relying on fleeting inspiration from the passing of a club legend to play well, or play at their best. They should want to do that week in week out for themselves and each other.

Real success - a premiership - is going to require sustained effort and sustained belief, every minute of every game, year after year for the next few years.

If the players need something to motivate them - beyond the motivation of a premiership itself - then we will not get there, no matter how inspiring / trite the call is to "do it for Jimmy".

I think the boys need to just take a bit of Jimmy's spirit and endeavour into what they do in life (including outside of footy). It's not about using the emotion to beat a team every team, including those who are simply better then us (at the moment). It's about having a crack each game and putting in everything you've got, leaving no stone unturned in your efforts to beat the opposition. The club will probably lose more games than it wins this year (perhaps 50/50 if we have a good year), but I can swallow a lost if they give it everything they've got.

• Like 3

i certainly agree with this sentiment ^^

And I agree with what JG is saying.. in essence, the players shouldn't be relying on fleeting inspiration from the passing of a club legend to play well, or play at their best. They should want to do that week in week out for themselves and each other.

Real success - a premiership - is going to require sustained effort and sustained belief, every minute of every game, year after year for the next few years.

If the players need something to motivate them - beyond the motivation of a premiership itself - then we will not get there, no matter how inspiring / trite the call is to "do it for Jimmy".

Spot on mate whether we like it or not this is the truth.

Im very impressed with the public speaking of Jack Grimes also, showed some real courage yesterday and looks to really wants to rally the troops.

Initially it may be hard for the players and club. But if they can remain strong, the ongoing spirit of Jimma.could be the greatest weapon this club has ever had.

Not many get a state funeral.

Same goes for supporters. We have a duty to uphold the Stynes name.

Edited by why you little

I am trying to word this correctly and hope it comes out that way.

Let's not say "do it for Jimmy" as a mantra for motivation but rather a motivational mantra of "Whatever it Takes"

Yes. It's is not about doing it for Jimmy, but unhesitatingly following Jimmy's mantra (like always giving that extra 1% or 2% even when you think the tank is empty). It's one of the reasons why Jimmy was such a high achiever, and it's certainly what we need as a footy team. I also think it's exactly what Mark Neeld would have expected from day one.

• Like 1

I was thinking about this.

I do not want the boys playing FOR Jimmy. I want the boys playing LIKE Jimmy. I want them to have ingrained Jimmy DNA.

Seeing most of Jim's games I will state that Jeff White had more natural talent in his little finger than Jimmy had. What Jimmy had ( in all aspects of life) was the ability to get 100% out himself. He would run until he dropped, he would never take a backward step, he made sure he always made a contest. He had a desire and a hunger. He was a fantastic footballer because of his sheer will not his talent.Through the smashing of the 1988 GF there was one player that stood up ( and didnt take a backwards step -he got reported to boot)

I want his legacy to be all the boys committing to play football like Jim Stynes.

Let's not say "do it for Jimmy" as a mantra for motivation but rather a motivational mantra of "Whatever it Takes"

Couldn't agree more. It's time this club stopped looking for temporary crutches to emotionally prop ourselves up and stood strong and proud based on an ethos of "whatever it takes". It should be the life blood that courses through the veins of this great club. The mantra that whispers it name with every breath our boys take. It should reside deep within the souls of all that call the MFC their club. This is what I believe Jimmy would have wanted for our club more than anything, and I believe this what Jack Grimes was alluding to this when he spoke.

• Like 1

Couldn't agree more. It's time this club stopped looking for temporary crutches to emotionally prop ourselves up and stood strong and proud based on an ethos of "whatever it takes". It should be the life blood that courses through the veins of this great club. The mantra that whispers it name with every breath our boys take. It should reside deep within the souls of all that call the MFC their club. This is what I believe Jimmy would have wanted for our club more than anything, and I believe this what Jack Grimes was alluding to this when he spoke.

For the past couple of years the players have run out of their rooms with a "Whatever it Takes" sign above them.

I'm not really talking about a sign or an inspirational poster bought at the two dollar shop as such. And i'm not talking about pop psychology either. I'm talking about an embedded belief that comes from deep within. I hope through our grief maybe that sign above the players race will take on a deeper significance, a significance that will last beyond the change room and the players race, and shadow the players and all attached to the club throughout their lives.

I'm not really talking about a sign or an inspirational poster bought at the two dollar shop as such. And i'm not talking about pop psychology either. I'm talking about an embedded belief that comes from deep within. I hope through our grief maybe that sign above the players race will take on a deeper significance, a significance that will last beyond the change room and the players race, and shadow the players and all attached to the club throughout their lives.

I'm just saying it's a mantra the club has already taken on board, and I agree it's a good one.

Same goes for supporters. We have a duty to uphold the Stynes name.

We cannot let the club disend into the state of disrepair that it was before Jim took over.

If you get a chance watch the interview with the two Jacks. I dare to say if Jack Grimes didn't have the injury issues he would be our soie captian, he is a very impressive young man. Our players shouldn't need a reason to lift their performance it has to be a none negotiable that the club has been talking about.

• Like 2

Our players shouldn't need a reason to lift their performance it has to be a none negotiable that the club has been talking about.

I agree Dr... but I suppose the point I was trying to make was that regardless of what they "should" be doing, and whether we like it or not, they will be playing with the added/perceived weight of responsibility - the "doing it for the gipper" (to quote an old, urrrgggghhhh, Ronald Reagan film) effect; being such a young team, will they be up to that?

Edited by hardtack

I agree Dr... but I suppose the point I was trying to make was that regardless of what they "should" be doing, and whether we like it or not, they will be playing with the added/perceived weight of responsibility - the "doing it for the gipper" (to quote an old, urrrgggghhhh, Ronald Reagan film) effect; being such a young team, will they be up to that?

To answer your question straight, in my opinion - no

It won't be through lack of trying, however, talent wise, cohesiveness with gameplan, experience etc. I don't think they're quite there

It is evident that Jim has left a a big impression on the new Leadership Group and that is a good thing, given the characteristics that Jim epitomised on and off the field.

Jim's example and untimely exit give them an added element to their opportunity to recast the way the MFC team play their footy. Again, from Robbo's interview of Garland, Jim loved the MFC and it (his passing) will prompt more of the player to love the MFC more... and footy is an emotional game.

Edited by PaulRB

For the past couple of years the players have run out of their rooms with a "Whatever it Takes" sign above them.

Will it mean more now?

You betcha.

Col Garland said it well (http://www.melbourne...59/default.aspx) with the lines "... We're gonna stop getting [censored] canned! ..." great interview.

I love Col Garland. Brilliant media performer.

For the players this shouldn't be about 'playing for Jim', it should be about doing the right things on the field, to match the incredible things Jim did for the club off the field. He fought debt, through cancer, so that this club thrives, and competes, and succeeds. The players need to be driven enough to want to achieve that for themselves, but always know that the great privilege bestowed upon them to wear the red and blue each week, is largely due to the work of Jim Stynes. To dishonour that work with rubbish performances, would be unacceptable.

The players should always remember that the last game Jim ever attended, was a crappy defeat to Hawthorn. He left this earth with that garbage burnt in his mind, and he'll be watching for something better.

It's not the players that should lift, with the passing of Jim, It's us (the supporter of the MFC and Reach)....Jim has done all he can, now is the time for us (the supporters) too do what we can....for the MFC and for Reach....In memory of....

Edited by tatu

I like the sound of that.

Tim Watson from SEN has suggested that the initials-J S be included in the players jumpers for at least a year for the feeling that he is still with us and never be forgotten.