• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Liam Jurrah granted leave

BarrassHarrass

i also find it offensive people choose to personally attack me for posting my opinion

Really? It's a sensitive subject that you and others aren't showing a great deal of sensitivity towards. You should expect some flack - but at the same time I don't think anyone's said anything that's crossed the line or it would have been deleted.

Frankly, I'm impressed with the restraint the folk of Demonland have shown towards some of the less savoury posts in this topic.

Edited by Nasher
Granma

Really? It's a sensitive subject that you and others aren't showing a great deal of sensitivity towards. You should expect some flack - but at the same time I don't think anyone's said anything that's crossed the line or it would have been deleted.

Frankly, I'm impressed with the restraint the folk of Demonland have shown towards some of the less savoury posts in this topic.

When you lower yourself to idiots , they beat you with experience

I find it offensive when people say "he was saying what we were all thinking," when it clearly is not.

Don't quote me incorrectly. I said "he has said what ALOT of members are thinking"

At least get that part right.

And Nasher, I think its a sensitive topic about how hard Jimmy worked to get the club out of debt for the team to not use there funds wisely.

Yes I have concerns for LJ, who dosnt? at the same time i also have concerns for the clubs finances that Jimmy works so hard on.

and yes, i am a fan of LJ, but like Mono, I think Stynes has worked way to hard for paid leave to be given to players to take indefinite leave.

and yes i do hope he works out his problems and can get back to training soon.

He was hurt at work and has some personel problems so the MFC are giving him a chance to work them out and come back ready to fire. I love watching liam play footy and i think Jim would think you are being very rude towards what he and reach stand for so have a think about it.

• Like 1

And Nasher, I think its a sensitive topic about how hard Jimmy worked to get the club out of debt for the team to not use there funds wisely.

Yes I have concerns for LJ, who dosnt? at the same time i also have concerns for the clubs finances that Jimmy works so hard on.

That is spurious reasoning at best. This has got nothing to do with Jimmy whatsoever, so don't try and make it about him.

This is the third time I've made this point in this thread, but as it seems it's not getting through I'll say it again. The club (like any good employee) has an incentive to do the right thing by its players. It instills a belief (a culture, if you will) where players (and other employees) know they are valued and know the club will stick by them when they need them to. As a player I'd be mortified if the club knifed LJ for this. How could I be sure I wouldn't get the same treatment if I ever needed time away for personal reasons?

How would the next Chris Judd (or Mitch Clark) - coming out of contract and considering a return to Victoria view this when considering the MFC as a potential club to play at?

• Like 3

I have no problem with the leave so long as Jurrah is not being paid. He is welcome back any time, and to being paid when he rejoins the list.

If, however, he is being paid for his "leave", then it is just plain [censored]. The MFC is not a welfare agency.

Most employees grant different types of leave like carers leave, bereavment leave etc. in addition to annual, sick etc.- its not welfare its maintaining good work / life balance and good relationships with your employees. The idea that it is "welfare" particuarly when the guy is injured and cant do his normal training is intolerant and dated in the extreme.

• Like 2

That is spurious reasoning at best. This has got nothing to do with Jimmy whatsoever, so don't try and make it about him.

This is the third time I've made this point in this thread, but as it seems it's not getting through I'll say it again. The club (like any good employee) has an incentive to do the right thing by its players. It instills a belief (a culture, if you will) where players (and other employees) know they are valued and know the club will stick by them when they need them to. As a player I'd be mortified if the club knifed LJ for this. How could I be sure I wouldn't get the same treatment if I ever needed time away for personal reasons?

How would the next Chris Judd (or Mitch Clark) - coming out of contract and considering a return to Victoria view this when considering the MFC as a potential club to play at?

This is the response this thread has needed. Something wholesome. Appreciated.

Though Nasher, I ask you this. If it were your call, how long would you allow a player to take paid leave for? Hypothetically if this carried on for months. Like most work places do you think there should be a limited amount?

(Note: i am not trying to upset people, just want to see peoples views on this)

This is the response this thread has needed. Something wholesome. Appreciated.

Though Nasher, I ask you this. If it were your call, how long would you allow a player to take paid leave for? Hypothetically if this carried on for months. Like most work places do you think there should be a limited amount?

(Note: i am not trying to upset people, just want to see peoples views on this)

How long?

We will know it when it gets there.

You can't have a cut-and-dried timeline for these things.

If it comes to a head, it comes to a head but for the moment - an MFC employee has been on bereavement leave for about three days.

Let's talk about punishment for abusing that leave after he has been away a little longer, hmmm?

How long?

We will know it when it gets there.

You can't have a cut-and-dried timeline for these things.

If it comes to a head, it comes to a head but for the moment - an MFC employee has been on bereavement leave for about three days.

Let's talk about punishment for abusing that leave after he has been away a little longer, hmmm?

You have my vote

I doubt he would have played even for Casey this side of May so what the hell is everyone on about.

As long as he keeps up his fitness he can be in Katmandu for all I care.

• Like 1

You have my vote

I doubt he would have played even for Casey this side of May so what the hell is everyone on about.

As long as he keeps up his fitness he can be in Katmandu for all I care.

Yes, and as you imply - the guy is injured.

So he would be doing very little in Melbourne or very little in Yuendumu.

The guy is willing to get plates and screws inserted in his arm for the MFC so let's not get carried away criticising his commitment.

The issues which Liam is dealing with are family related and are his personal business so I won't elaborate here or anywhere else. However, as he was still recovering from his wrist surgery and was a few weeks away from playing again, the club has been terrific in granting Liam some personal leave to sort some matters out back home. I expect him to return shortly eager to complete his rehab and be ready to do his bit for the team. The club should be congratulated for the understanding and support they have shown Liam.

Thanks Rudeboy, I think its great the club has respected his privacy, culture and wishes.

Best wishes to him and his family.

Cant wait to see him back on the park.

Not to mention that we've spent a lot of time and money building goodwill and relationships with indigenous people in the Northern Territory through visits to Yuendemu, Melville Island and matches in Darwin. All that could be destroyed in five minutes by negative press with a niggardly display of penny-pinching over LJ when he needs support.

I remember Clint Bartram played the next day after his dad passed away.

I can't think of anything more ridiculous than to suggest that, because of the way one player dealt with bereavement, that other players should be measured against that yardstick.

Clint Batram can be commended for the way he dealt with his father's passing. That in no way can be any sort of comment on how anyone else should deal with a bereavement, and if another player takes weeks to deal with a passing of a family member, so be it.

• Like 2

Not to mention that we've spent a lot of time and money building goodwill and relationships with indigenous people in the Northern Territory through visits to Yuendemu, Melville Island and matches in Darwin. All that could be destroyed in five minutes by negative press with a niggardly display of penny-pinching over LJ when he needs support.

This is true. We were very magnanimous with Wonna and I'm sure he appreciated the time apart, even though he decided he couldn't deal with the pressure of beiing at an AFL club.

I can't think of anything more ridiculous than to suggest that, because of the way one player dealt with bereavement, that other players should be measured against that yardstick.

Clint Batram can be commended for the way he dealt with his father's passing. That in no way can be any sort of comment on how anyone else should deal with a bereavement, and if another player takes weeks to deal with a passing of a family member, so be it.

Exactly. And while Clint bravely played, I doubt anyone begrudged Jarrad McVeigh for missing the match after his daughter passed away - though some people here obviously believe he shouldn't have been paid that week.

No situation is equal when it comes to personal difficulty.

• Like 1

I have no problem with the leave so long as Jurrah is not being paid. He is welcome back any time, and to being paid when he rejoins the list.

If, however, he is being paid for his "leave", then it is just plain [censored]. The MFC is not a welfare agency.

Absolutely pathetic post - you have no idea what this is about.

How on Earth you slap sense into someone in the Tiwi Islands when you're in central Australia is beyond me. Of course I'm worried too, but only to the extent that I'd be worried about a loved one who goes skydiving; the odds are in our favour that he'll come back soon. Nothing bad will happen.

• Like 2

How on Earth you slap sense into someone in the Tiwi Islands when you're in central Australia is beyond me. Of course I'm worried too, but only to the extent that I'd be worried about a loved one who goes skydiving; the odds are in our favour that he'll come back soon. Nothing bad will happen.

I laughed...

I also keep threads going :)

Yeah, you must think that it drives your narcisstic ego. Well done.

Hang-on... Tom, is that you?