• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Brad Green speaks on losing leadership role

TonyMelb

I think there's some truth in the idea we have to treat champions of the club well... but when it comes to being disappointed about being left out. What does he expect? the last 4 years have been a disaster for the club. These were the times the club was led by these blokes, and as much as they'll always be treated well as red and blue warriors, they DID fail. Do it with respect, but my goodness, if he dwelt on it then that's his own fault...

Im not a fan of this type of attitude, and it seems that ever since Neeld has taken over alot of people on here seem to have adopted it.

Sportsmen at the highest level will all say that a fair whack of the game is played between the ears, so i hope Neelds hard lined approach isnt effecting some of the older guys confidence, which could effect their on field performance too.

People used the job analogy for the scully situation, well what about for Brads? He's basically been demoted by a new boss who hasnt paid any respect to the job he had done for the club over the last 13 years.

If Neeld's no nonsense approach effects anyone's confidence, let alone the senior group who let the team down so badly last season, then it will have been effective in weeding out those who have neither the steel or fortitude to take this club where it's going ... to a premiership.

Edited by Range Rover
  • Like 1

If it allows Brad to just get on with his game unburdened by formal leadership duties, then it can only be a good thing. He at least in public appears to have taken it on the chin.

And as has been stated by so many others, the club has been "too nice for too long". Hopefully Neeld has already started to change that attitude and outlook - I am looking forward to seeing just how soon and how much has changed on the field in a few weeks.

The way that Brad Green has handled losing the captaincy and his attitude to the news has, from the very beginning, been all class. Dare I say it, but after a torrid 2011 season for Brad, he will in many ways be relieved that he can now go back to concentrating on his game and being a part of the team's revival where he will still have the capacity to lead by his example on the field.

Time has moved quickly for those who have now become the club's elder statesmen. Players like Green, Davey and Rivers who have for so long been regulars at the club, now need to concentrate on holding their places in the team and once they have done that, they will still be required to provide leadership as the more mature players in the group. It's going to be fascinating to see how these players go about this because I see them as still having important roles to play if they rise to the challenges that face them.

At the same time, Mark Neeld had taken a bold approach in giving the mantle of responsibility to the youth upon whose shoulders the long term future of this group rests. It's refreshing and exciting and the logical way to go after what happened in the last half of last year.

• Like 6

Over the past 4 years Brad has kicked the following:

2008: 20.13 (60% accuracy)

2009: 12.3 (80% accuracy)

2010: 55.27 (67%)

2011: 37.25 (60%).

Its not bad conversion but I seem to recall he has missed alot of gettable set shots from 40 metres. Last year he seemed to do that at critical times, which added IMO to his leadership woes.

Was actually referring to the team as a whole and what neeld sees as the way forward to bringing a winning culture back to the club. If I don't have trust I don't have much. Will endeavour to be clearer in the future so as to avoid all those sentimentalists.

Might help not quoting another posters post when you are not intending to respond directly to what you quoted.

Let's get real here. This idea of being tough is the right pathway for the club. The players need to toughen up. But the coach has to be more complex in his approach, the idea of just being tough, and ppl on here standing behind that and that only is strange to me. How about being 'tough but fair'.

A new leadership group means a new order at the club. Good on Neeld for bring bold and taking this path. Good on Brad for going down the path of 'I'll still lead in an informal way and help the Ld group out', but I few comments by Brad says to me that the coach is unnapproachable and hard to communicate with. Recognition for his efforts, an explanation why (other than a youth policy), a thankyou, anything. It may have happened but does not seem Brad will not be knocking on Neelds door or expect to be invited to Neelds office to have another 5 minutes to talk further. It's Worrying IMO.

Malthouse, Matthews, Clarkson, Williams are all uncompromising in their times as coach. We re they unapproachable? I question if Neeld is approachable after reading Greens articles.

But then again I don't know the full story and hope I'm wrong

• Like 1

Let's get real here. This idea of being tough is the right pathway for the club. The players need to toughen up. But the coach has to be more complex in his approach, the idea of just being tough, and ppl on here standing behind that and that only is strange to me. How about being 'tough but fair'.

A new leadership group means a new order at the club. Good on Neeld for bring bold and taking this path. Good on Brad for going down the path of 'I'll still lead in an informal way and help the Ld group out', but I few comments by Brad says to me that the coach is unnapproachable and hard to communicate with. Recognition for his efforts, an explanation why (other than a youth policy), a thankyou, anything. It may have happened but does not seem Brad will not be knocking on Neelds door or expect to be invited to Neelds office to have another 5 minutes to talk further. It's Worrying IMO.

Malthouse, Matthews, Clarkson, Williams are all uncompromising in their times as coach. We re they unapproachable? I question if Neeld is approachable after reading Greens articles.

But then again I don't know the full story and hope I'm wrong

He called him 'Neeldy' though...

And isn't Brad being incredibly open and honest about what happened. He has been allowed to expand on the chat he had with Neeld, the feelings of being a scape goat for 2011, and his disappointment of not even being in the LG.

I am vexed. This probably gets all the questions out of the way now, and let's him concentrate on his footy, but it is a brutally honest presser that raises the questions Demonstrative has raised about Neeld and also pushes ones mind toward the fact that he feels somewhat betrayed after being abjectly blamed for 2011, and 186 in particular.

That's footy I guess, tough decisions leave a few bruises.

• Like 3

Brad Green had a great year in 2010. Based on that and a derth of alternatives (all too young at that stage) he was given the captaincy. Unfortunatley, and I'm lifting this from Brads interviews, leading into 2011 Brad didn't work as hard during the preseason (perhaps too many Captain related obligations, perhaps he figured he didn't need to), he found that his transition from wing, mid to forward made it difficult for him to impact games when required,...

So he, and the MFC, struggled in 2011.

My biggest issue with his captaincy (and the culture at the MFC) that put him there is that it was leadership in part based on seniority in the playing group rather than other leadership qualities that are more important than seniority.

These would be

1. the ability to lift and inspire your teammates with your efforts and play - for form reasons Brad struggled big time in 2011 on this front.

2. the ability to accept the teams failing is your failing - some of Brads post-match interviews after a loss were painfull to watch, as he cheerfully described that despite the loss we were improving... giggling as he abdicated responsibility for our dissapointment, and even in the latest interview saying how he easily got over losses. I expect the leader of the MFC to be a seething thunderclap after a loss and for the pain of each loss to drive him and the team harder.

3. venom - physical aggression, leaders need to know when and how to up the stakes physically to rally the troops. Neitz would charge a pack like an angry Rhino, Junior would land a ripping tackle, both would use it to intimide the opposition and inspire the troops. Unfortunaely Brad was unable to do that.

I love Brad as a player and hope he comes back to his best this year, and I believe that he would have been a much better captain this year for the lessons of last year. That said I think Neeld has made the correct decision re the LG and new Captains, in part because the LG of 2011 should be challenged to lift their contribution and input into the team despite thei losing the captaincy and positions in the LG...

Time will tell.

• Like 1

Just watched the video, Brad Green is a complete professional and took it the way any professional should.

He might play as a 'Ricky Ponting' role to the younger captains, which personally i think will be beneficial.

All signs are looking good for the dees, cant wait to get down to the G rd1, im like a little kid before christmas

Giddy Up!!

• Like 1

Over the past 4 years Brad has kicked the following:

2008: 20.13 (60% accuracy)

2009: 12.3 (80% accuracy)

2010: 55.27 (67%)

2011: 37.25 (60%).

Its not bad conversion but I seem to recall he has missed alot of gettable set shots from 40 metres. Last year he seemed to do that at critical times, which added IMO to his leadership woes.

Might help not quoting another posters post when you are not intending to respond directly to what you quoted.

Not quite sure what you mean here???

I am glad that he admits that it hurt. There is an honesty and directness creeping into the club. I like it.

• Like 1

Exactly. He hasn't walked in a huff. He is excited to be playing another season.

And WYL, I'd have money on him playing another one after that!

Brad is a very consistent footballer in terms of return. Take 2011 out of the equation, and he has had a very polished decade or so of excellent football, and is a regular contributor.

If he can come out in 2012, retain his spot (which will be challenge 1 under a new regime), give us a 30-40 goal return, there is no reason why he can't go on in 2013. If he struggles like what we saw in 2011, and his goal return is down to the high teens, low 20's, then it's hard to see him get another year.

Good luck Brad for season 2012.

• Like 2

I understand Brad Green's contracts were never easily signed. Like Cam Bruce, Greeny perenially held out continually trying for a better deal.

He now has shown poor form as a captain and a player. My personal faith in Brad has come to an end.

Mark Neeld seems to understand many MFC members have or are turning sour on our personnel. Mark Neeld Cometh the hour.

Greeny good luck, but perform or play Casey.

Guest melbman

Nothing against Brad but I hope it stings. There's no lesson in a cuddly demotion and I hope Neeld has set in motion an environment where Brad (and all the players) feel they want to and need to prove their worth through their actions

I don't feel this was happening last year

And WYL, I'd have money on him playing another one after that!

Brad is a very consistent footballer in terms of return. Take 2011 out of the equation, and he has had a very polished decade or so of excellent football, and is a regular contributor.

If he can come out in 2012, retain his spot (which will be challenge 1 under a new regime), give us a 30-40 goal return, there is no reason why he can't go on in 2013. If he struggles like what we saw in 2011, and his goal return is down to the high teens, low 20's, then it's hard to see him get another year.

Good luck Brad for season 2012.

Brad will play in 2013 if he has a good/great year coming. I hope he is fully assessed every 12 months.

He is passed the long contract deals.

I can understand some sentiments that suggest its a drop or twoof kharma with repsect to some of his dealings in the past with the club.I understand them but dont particularly think its the case. There are a number of players past and present whose behavious at those times has been , well, curious. I suspect though that Greens new place in the order of things is entirely as a result of how the Master wishes tocast his team and in that light history shows Brad to have been very miscast as a Captain.its just not his forte I believe.

Relieved of this duty I m quite certain ( in my own mind ) that Green will re-blossom into the die hard classy player he has been. 2011 is a write off not only for Greenbut many of his mates. Id be thinking the FD will view Brad and others on a year in year out basis in regards to longevity. At his end of the journey any faltering will only provide an opportunity for another ( younger ) and theres no coming back often after that.

Ive personally really liked his time playing on the wing ( when he did ) but I think hes being penciled in for a forward type role, most likely as a flanker. That too will suit his demeanor and ability to use space.

Good luck Brad

I understand Brad Green's contracts were never easily signed. Like Cam Bruce, Greeny perenially held out continually trying for a better deal.

He now has shown poor form as a captain and a player. My personal faith in Brad has come to an end.

Mark Neeld seems to understand many MFC members have or are turning sour on our personnel. Mark Neeld Cometh the hour.

Greeny good luck, but perform or play Casey.

Think that applies to everyone.....

This is a disappointing attitude especially after one, yes only one really poor year. And opinion on his contract negotiations are pure conjecture as we have no clue what goes on behind closed doors, so you are choosing to think that he is screwing the club. Is he really? Prove it? And where does it say that he (or anyone else for that matter) can't try to get a good contract, I appreciate the frustrations about delays and money, but you are choosing to ignore the loyalty and great play over years of service.

Did you disrespect and dislike him to this degree when he won the Best and Fairest at the end of 2010? A bad year does not make a bad person and certainly shouldn't make loyal supporters black ball classy life long Melbourne players so easily. Was he a poor captain? Yes. But you are questioning him in his entirety and that is unacceptable and disappointing to me. I just hope that relieving him of the burden will give him the chance to retrieve the form that won him a Bluey.

Plus no matter who you are being sacked is never easy, but he has handled it with nothing but honesty and class. He deserves better than this crap.

Edited by QueenC
  • Like 4

Greeny is the sort of bloke who will put the hurt and disappointment behind him. But what about the others?

Flash couldn't realistically expect to be a captain or vice-captain after last year - but he might have hoped to stay in the leadership as mentor to "the Brothers". How will the brothers react?

Then Beamer. He has gone from favourite for captaincy to nothing at all. He will be hurt - he might be angry. Will his on-field spirit drop even 5% as a result?

To make the Jacks captains was a big call - to leave people like Green and Moloney out of the leadership group altogether was a huge call.

I'll back Neeldy in for now - but it was a high risk decision

High risk: high reward ..... but equally high risk: heavy loss...

• Like 1

Flash couldn't realistically expect to be a captain or vice-captain after last year - but he might have hoped to stay in the leadership as mentor to "the Brothers". How will the brothers react?

You don't need to be in the LG to be a leader or a mentor. The brothers shouldn't dwell on anything and neither should Davey. Head down, bum up and perform is how they should be.

Then Beamer. He has gone from favourite for captaincy to nothing at all. He will be hurt - he might be angry. Will his on-field spirit drop even 5% as a result?

It shouldn't. But we'll see what he is made of. Same goes for Rivers and Green.

• Like 2

Greeny is the sort of bloke who will put the hurt and disappointment behind him. But what about the others?

To make the Jacks captains was a big call - to leave people like Green and Moloney out of the leadership group altogether was a huge call.

What did the brother think when Davey gave away 50 in an important game? What did they think when he went the gutless cheap snipe with his elbow? he is not a leaders bootlace. The brothers can either play for true leader or join brother leader at Casey?

Since when was Beamer favourite for any Captaincy. At best it was an open race with no obvious favourite. Given Green was leader in absentia and Beamer hit the fizz last year.....its not a big call at all.

Neeld has sent a message about the future and the future is starting now. Its up to Green, Davey, Beamer and Rivers to be a part of it. Green's making the right noises atm.

I'll back Neeldy in for now - but it was a high risk decision

High risk: high reward ..... but equally high risk: heavy loss...

I guess we could always play safe and just stick with the inept leadership we had last year. No risk there.