Barry Prendergast gone

Friday

I understand that, but i feel this club has been doing it for a little too long. The "now" is just as important as the "future"

Can't agree. Winning a flag is the most important thing. If waiting a couple more years improves our chances I'll wait.

Can't agree. Winning a flag is the most important thing. If waiting a couple more years improves our chances I'll wait.

But will it by recruiting another prospect player. We have all been waiting while even North Melbourne have lifted a cup.

I understand exactly what you are saying, but in this instance feel it may have been a little conservative.

I haven't seen any Casey matches but from what i read Cook is longer than a couple of years away. But we have him now, so lets hope "the wait" is worthwhile.

Fair crack of the whip AoB

What will the recruiting staff do then when they can no longer logon to 'Land and check what old dee is saying?

Hahaha Old Dee will be here for the 13th....we will all buy him drinks. C'MON....!

I think that I read that Cook was the slowest player tested at Draft Camp, causing many AFL clubs to change their rating of him, many thinking that they would not draft him at all. That's was why it was a surprise that Melbourne took him so high.

Not making a judgement here, just think it is an interesting fact.

Where did you read that?

Because only the top 10 in each category are published.

And I find it hard to believe the club would release that info.

Clubs wouldn't say that about another club's recent draftee.

So really, it's a spurious fact at best, probably off a forum.

Hardly worth repeating.

Capital idea and a magnificent example of lateral thinking.

Fevola not longer has the attributes that made him a Coleman Medallist but he still has the size, strength and athleticism to take on the opposition's best defender to free up Mitch Clark to play on the stiffs and kick big bags of goals.

The idea is that we let our most damaging attacker play where he can be most damaging. Clark can beat any defender but a lot of those players, especially as the game changes to more long bombs forward, can be stopped by big, yet slightly less talented players. Why waste Clark on a job that Fevola can do?

We need the Fev to help us play as a team, where individual players play specific roles within the team attack.

Let's do it!

If only Fev were a team player he would still be at Carlton.

Hahaha Old Dee will be here for the 13th....we will all buy him drinks. C'MON....!

It is this year!

Well it was in my last dream.

Not planning any departure yet or any time soon mate

I will be happy to buy my share wyl.

Fair enough, my bad. As long as it isn't being used as a justification.

Not quite sure what I said to upset you AOB!

Can you tell me I thouight I was just making a light hearted remark.

It is only January 23rd plenty of time to get upset later in the year.

But could these players stop Lawrence Angwin? Could they stop Angwin, Clark and Fev at the same time?

Recruit Angwin!

To hell with that! Recruit Jon Dorotich!

Sadly, I don't think anyone's biting tonight.

Hey, I'll bite.

Laurence Angwin is still playing football at 29 years of age and, for Demon fans, he's pretty close to home because he was signed up at the eginning of last year by Cranbourne which plays in the Casey Cardinia Division of the Mornington Peninsula Football League. I believe they share their home ground with the Casey Scorpions and they won the flag without Angwin who was injured at grand final time.

Now 29 years of age is no longer a bar to being picked up in the draft as Geelong has proven with its recent selection of North Ballarat aged pensioner Orren Stephenson so if Angwin can get his act together and head off to say, Frankston, Port Melbourne or some place like Swan Districts, who knows what might happen?

My dream scenario would be to see Fev and Angwin reunited at Carlton or, better still, at GWS where the could be room mates with Tom Scully next year (knee allowing) at the Breakfast Point resort.

Laurence Angwin & Fev reunited, both off their Box playing for Carlscum again B) .....what a superb image i am seeing here!!!

Nice one Mr Whispering....

Plus Karl Norman just to round out the trifecta.

Didn't one of the two (Angwin/Norman) get done ... in addition for the drug fiasco ... for stealing from the other one's apartment? What a pair!

Your point HT?

I have not said Cook will not be good (great) player, i hope he will be. But i do question having yet another long term prospect compared to a player who has proven he is ready to go now. Darling has years ahead of

him as well. That is my only point of contention.

My point is WYL, that with you, it's all nice and rosy after drafting Cook, you're all over him like a rash saying how good he will be "will be a gun", etc and will be patient because he's a project player, then .... after season 1 the comparisons for Cook and Darling start, you compare and slag off the recruiting because Darling is seen as a plug'n play player in amongst a very well run (& experienced) team with tall forwards around him, whilst our Cook - who you were so positive about initially - isn't quite ready to step up and fulfil your "now" needs.

It's not your contention in April of 2011 ....

My point is WYL, that with you, it's all nice and rosy after drafting Cook, you're all over him like a rash saying how good he will be "will be a gun", etc and will be patient because he's a project player, then .... after season 1 the comparisons for Cook and Darling start, you compare and slag off the recruiting because Darling is seen as a plug'n play player in amongst a very well run (& experienced) team with tall forwards around him, whilst our Cook - who you were so positive about initially - isn't quite ready to step up and fulfil your "now" needs.

It's not your contention in April of 2011 ....

Yes, you are correct to a point. When i initially read about Cook after we drafted him i was impressed. But i also expected him like Howe to play at least some senior footy last year. But from all reports he is still a long way from playing Casey seniors. Playing senior footy for the MFC is eons away at present. We have enough project players already, yet another 5 year plan that may work is a luxury we cannot afford right now. The balance of youth and experince is out of whack i believe on this one. To read yesterday that Cook is still fumbling and dropping marks fills my heart with joy. I hope he gets himself together.... It is not his fault he was drafted so high. He is just being himself. But i bet my left one that Mark Neeld wishes a certain J Darling was on his list ready to go to war in 8 weeks.

Our recruiters are a lot closer to the heat than you or i...but it was sure a big call to make by 2 people who no longer work in the building

Yes, you are correct to a point. When i initially read about Cook after we drafted him i was impressed. But i also expected him like Howe to play at least some senior footy last year. But from all reports he is still a long way from playing Casey seniors. Playing senior footy for the MFC is eons away at present. We have enough project players already, yet another 5 year plan that may work is a luxury we cannot afford right now. The balance of youth and experince is out of whack i believe on this one. To read yesterday that Cook is still fumbling and dropping marks fills my heart with joy. I hope he gets himself together.... It is not his fault he was drafted so high. He is just being himself. But i bet my left one that Mark Neeld wishes a certain J Darling was on his list ready to go to war in 8 weeks.

Our recruiters are a lot closer to the heat than you or i...but it was sure a big call to make by 2 people who no longer work in the building

No he is correct and explained your position perfectly. And the claim that the balance of youth and experience is out of whack would not have been addressed by getting Darling. The kid is still a kid. And its amazing you draw long bows based on distant third hand knowledge to lavish Cook 12 months ago and now based on third hand reports of dubious quality he is a liability. You got it right 12 months ago wheh you said players like Cook take time to develop. I cant see why you are dumping on the selection of Cook when its clear there were issues all 12 clubs had with Darling. And its only 1 yr into a possible 12 years for both players.

And as has been pointed out to you before, the decision to recruit the youth was not the domain of the coach. Its the role of Prendegast based on the youth policy adopted by Schwab and endorsed by the Board. Its wonderful you can wrongly pin the tail of responsibility with no accountability on Bailey and BBBP and not on others.

No he is correct and explained your position perfectly. And the claim that the balance of youth and experience is out of whack would not have been addressed by getting Darling. The kid is still a kid. And its amazing you draw long bows based on distant third hand knowledge to lavish Cook 12 months ago and now based on third hand reports of dubious quality he is a liability. You got it right 12 months ago wheh you said players like Cook take time to develop. I cant see why you are dumping on the selection of Cook when its clear there were issues all 12 clubs had with Darling. And its only 1 yr into a possible 12 years for both players.

And as has been pointed out to you before, the decision to recruit the youth was not the domain of the coach. Its the role of Prendegast based on the youth policy adopted by Schwab and endorsed by the Board. Its wonderful you can wrongly pin the tail of responsibility with no accountability on Bailey and BBBP and not on others.

You may be right RR that the blame went further than Bailey and BP but it always worried me.

I am sure I mentioned on DL a number of times that our largest problem was who was going to carry the side until all the kids developed.

We know that every draftee does not make it so it always looked to me like we were put all our eggs in the "Youth Basket".

Nett result is we are now trying to get some experience and developed bodies into the Mix.

Thank god we have seen the mistake and started to do something about it.

It's not just about getting some experience and developed bodies into the mix. It also involves getting players suitable to the set-up Mark Neeld wants and more importantly and significantly - getting players onto our list of a certain quality that our list lacks.

It's not just about getting some experience and developed bodies into the mix. It also involves getting players suitable to the set-up Mark Neeld wants and more importantly and significantly - getting players onto our list of a certain quality that our list lacks.

By the way what was the DB "set-up" ?

We know that every draftee does not make it so it always looked to me like we were put all our eggs in the "Youth Basket".

5 years ago we had a trainwreck of a list and lacked bankable talent. Where was that talent to come....from the draft and where possible trading away surplus players (eg McLean and TJ).

History has shown the folly of trying to rebuild a list around experienced rejects from other teams. The issue of the blooding the youth was always going to be tough given the evolution of the 2007 senior players off.our list and the dearth of capable senior leadership players. I am glad we did not do what Carlton and Brisbane did for some of our cast offs.

All we have done is add Clark to the list to complement the youth. We had been in the market in past years for a senior marking player (eg Hale) but missed. Please dont try and claim somehow the light came on when Neeld joined.The process for Clark was already underway during 2011.

• Like 1

Its funny how Cook all of a sudden hasnt been playing Casey seniors, which he did for the majority of the year, and cant mark after one training session. His hands are like vice grips.

Also its not a new 5 year plan, its the one started in 07 and which will start paying dividends in 2012 and beyond.

• Like 1

5 years ago we had a trainwreck of a list and lacked bankable talent. Where was that talent to come....from the draft and where possible trading away surplus players (eg McLean and TJ).

History has shown the folly of trying to rebuild a list around experienced rejects from other teams. The issue of the blooding the youth was always going to be tough given the evolution of the 2007 senior players off.our list and the dearth of capable senior leadership players. I am glad we did not do what Carlton and Brisbane did for some of our cast offs.

All we have done is add Clark to the list to complement the youth. We had been in the market in past years for a senior marking player (eg Hale) but missed. Please dont try and claim somehow the light came on when Neeld joined.The process for Clark was already underway during 2011.

RR I do not disagree with the basic plan, but it was skinny kids and little else.

2011 was IMO the direct result of that policy

What is ahead in the next couple of years looks promising but it did at this point 1 year ago.

I hope Neeld and company are geniuses because we need a little bit of that and a lot of luck.