Jack Trengove For Captain

Range Rover

Guest Gotzy15

What is incredible and I guess a little sad is the fact we don't have a senior player who is a born leader and an obvious choice for the role! Senior players at other clubs like Jonathan Brown, Chris Judd, Matthew Pavlich, Luke Hodge, Nick Riewoldt etc were always going to be Captain of their respective clubs and have all done a good job at it.

The fact that our current senior players like Moloney, Sylvia, Green, Davey etc are not really leaders and have not been able to grow into that role is a concern and really shows where our club has been for the last 10 years!

• Like 2

What is incredible and I guess a little sad is the fact we don't have a senior player who is a born leader and an obvious choice for the role! Senior players at other clubs like Jonathan Brown, Chris Judd, Matthew Pavlich, Luke Hodge, Nick Riewoldt etc were always going to be Captain of their respective clubs and have all done a good job at it.

The fact that our current senior players like Moloney, Sylvia, Green, Davey etc are not really leaders and have not been able to grow into that role is a concern and really shows where our club has been for the last 10 years!

Well, the tide has finally turned.

You have to be kidding me. He was an awful leader last season and just because he is the best option of bad option doesn't mean our dearth of leaders doesn't reappear.

Green, Davey, Rivers, Sylvia, and the frontrunning Moloney - these are our defeatist leaders and coupled with their awful body language form a major reason we have such great problems with consistency and commitment.

Absolutely spot on RPFC. Everyone seems to think that if it's not Trenners, it's Moloney. Come on. Ive never seen a bloke point more and scream to......or should i say "at" his team mates! Not a captain for mine. Time for the Melbourne Footy Club to change its ways. J.Trengove..........now!

I did have the concern as someone else said of "would the players respond".

Having taken time to think about it - JT leads by example and is vocal and strong. I (as well as most others) wouldnt know what his off field attributes are but I am assuming he would lead well both on and off.

As to how others respond. I thought about it and I think the youth would respond well. As to a handful of seniors mentioned - Jamar, Moloney, Davey, Green or Sylvia. If they dont respond to his captaincy - act petulently, i think I have the solution. Its called "Casey".

I am no sure who will be Captain but whoever is named to that post - either get on board team or Casey welcomes you.

Edited by nutbean

Obviously a lot will depend on what Neeld has in mind from what he sees on and off the training track

He says he has a Malthouse / Blight style so that is like comparing a black knight and white bishop on a chess board

I am not sure if Neeld is as conservative as he appears

If the MFC which IMO do tend to be conservative then Moloney will be Captain

Moloney IMO would thrive in the position

Green as well liked as he is suffered under the captaincy

Captaincy is not something anyone can do and teaching it to someone who is not a natural leader is what happened to Green last year

Grimes i had ahead of Trengove but his ability to stay on the park is a major concern and why Trengove would be the wiser choice if we went for the fresh start approach

Both Grimes and Trengove were both state captains before being drafted

Ideally the captain should be a midfielder or at least play within the centre of the ground which leaves someone like Frawley at a disadvantage

Willing to bet Jamar will be part of the leadership group

Davey i have never thought of as being a captain and it will be interesting how he responds to Neelds coaching

What i am looking forward to most is what Neelds best 22 is going to be (apart from Sylvia who will miss round 1)

The captaincy and leadership group will take care of itself in time

I like your post Swampy. Agree with most everything.

I too would like to see Jamar into the leadership group.

Well said re Green and the captaincy issue.

I also think the Captain should be, as has been fairly traditionally, play somewhere between halfback & half forward, being in the play most often.

FCS Threads like this make me really disappointed in our supporter base. What does a player have to do to earn the slightest piece of respect at this club? Brent Moloney - lifelong Melbourne supporter, forces his way onto Geelong's list 'the hard way' - through the rookie list. As a second year player he features in their finals campaign before coming our way in exchange for a first round draft pick. Battles the dreaded osteitis pubis that stalls his career completely for 3 seasons. Despite this, becomes starting midfielder. Earns the respect of his club, going beyond the call, not just on-field but as a clubman and becomes vice-captain. Even after losing it through an off-field incident, he earns it back 'the hard way' through dedication and game day performance. Wins the best and fairest and finishes ninth in the brownlow. Above all else, this bloke is hard as nails and has never at any stage taken a backwards step on the football field or done anything other than what is best for his coach and the side. Anyone with the slightest clue about how a football club operates would realise you give this man the captaincy without a moment's hesitation. Especially given there is nobody else on the list who comes remotely close to ticking all the boxes that the player in discussion has. However, most of you operate under the mindset of a desperate minnow club, and want to give it a bloke that has 2 years experience and - while clearly a potential star - has in no way earned it, and as we have all learned 'the hard way' could be off at the end of the year for whatever club can arrange an under-the-table payday for him. Not to mention he is one of a long line of Melbourne players that bolted out of the gate, and the vast majority never became anything. It's the exact same cretins spouting this garbage who wanted Brock McLean captain after the 2006 elimination final. That worked out well didn't it? Fortunately I know damn well those in charge at the club would never allow such an embarrassing injustice to occur - because they know how football clubs operate - and Moloney will be the next captain of the MFC, like he was born and bred to be. When Trengove, Grimes, Watts etc get to the point they can list an equivalent CV than Moloney, they will have earnt it.

Could not disagree with you more

Moloney has an issue with Binge drinking, as he himself has stated. Leaders need to be first and foremost a role model for the team, Moloney could have all the accolades of Chris Judd on the field but until he leads off the field and models his behaviour as a leader he will always be just in the leadership group. Leaders don't just have to have seniority or seasons under their belt, the cornerstone of leadership has always been Credibility, Without Credibility a person can not lead because as they say "if you don't believe in the messenger you won't believe the message" When your found drinking to early hours of Monday morning any credibility you have as a leader has just been [censored] up a wall. Good Footballer passionate but if you don't model the way to success as a leader you can not lead people to it. Anyone with the slightest clue about how football clubs operate in this day and age would know that leaders are more than about how well they play and what awards they have one. They need to have the respect of everyone on the team and for a Vice Captain to break team rules three months into last season makes a mockery of the rules and the club.

Has he done enough to regain the trust who knows but to say he should be a walk-in for the Captaincy - FCS your dreamin.

In regards to Jack Trengove yes he may be the Melbourne Captain one day but I reckon not next year, I believe it will be between Jamar, Green and Grimes(on Credibility Alone).

A real long shot (and I would lmao if it happened) for me is Clint Bartram, has shown some leadership qualities in previous seasons and has enough experience (95 games). Not that this would matter at all but interestingly he is a former Ocean Grove player also.

Frawley is viewed by other players as the joker in the team so I can't see him stepping up just yet.

Nathan Jones I just can't see him as captain he seems like he would be too laissez-faire about the whole thing and it would definitely clash with his surfing and tweeting.

If I was betting man I would have Jamar/Grimes Quinella.

I don't think that Trengove being captain is a monty.

I do .

Lets poll.

I do .

Lets poll.

I don't see how a poll would reveal anyone to be a 'monty' for the position.

We are not the ones who select the captain, therefore a poll of Demonland would reveal nothing about Trengove being a 'monty.'

I don't see how a poll would reveal anyone to be a 'monty' for the position.

We are not the ones who select the captain, therefore a poll of Demonland would reveal nothing about Trengove being a 'monty.'

Argee, but lets poll anyway, for a bit fun!!!

Love Trenners, but always thought Grimes was the man .

Only injury has stopped him being a certainty really.

Trenners is still a baby, id just choose Grimes ahead of him with Trenners vice

Guest Jackie

Another worry with Grimes is how long will it take to get his best form back after such a serious injury and the time out of the game. This kind of injury has ruined careers in the past.

id still go with Grimes if the injury keeps flaring up over the next couple of years , then appoint Trengove to replace him

• Like 1

id still go with Grimes if the injury keeps flaring up over the next couple of years , then appoint Trengove to replace him

I don't think this is viable. Choose the best one now who you feel will grow into the role and be a 10-year premiership Captain.

If it's Grimes, appoint him now. If Trengove, also appoint now or give him one year as Green's deputy befofe taking over in 2012.

Jamar has stated he wants a leadership role, I think he'll get that, whether he has impressed sufficiently to be Captain we'll see but I can picture him with the boys tightly huddled around him and that focused look he has.

A few months ago, I thought Green was a certainty to give stability to a side that had lost their total football department.

But as time passes I'm now thinking Good Times. Sure he has had injury concerns, but then I think of Essendon in the 80's.

Neale Daniher was the most injury prone player on two wonky legs. He has often been lauded as the Best Captain of all time.

So if the cap fits let him wear it.

Edited by Chippy

A few months ago, I thought Green was a certainty to give stability to a side that had lost their total football department.

But as time passes I'm now thinking Good Times. Sure he has had injury concerns, but then I think of Essendon in the 80's.

Neale Daniher was the most injury prone player on two wonky legs. He has often been lauded as the Best Captain of all time.

So if the cap fits let him wear it.

You are confusing him with his brother. Neale was appointed for the 1982 season (at 21) but never played a game as captain due to injury. His brother Terry was appointed for the 1983 season and was certainly one of the finest Captains of all time.

You are confusing him with his brother. Neale was appointed for the 1982 season (at 21) but never played a game as captain due to injury. His brother Terry was appointed for the 1983 season and was certainly one of the finest Captains of all time.

Doubt that many Filth supporters would agree with you there!! Geez they hate T.D.

Yes i want Jamar to be in the leadership group. He is in the middle dictating taps to his mids.

You seem to have no understanding of leadership whatsoever.

Please explain to me what relevance being a good tap ruckman has with leadership ability?