Conspiracy theory re: Neeld/Prendergast

DeeSpencer

Prendi has found some gems for us. and is highly respected as a recruiter. He will adapt, he will be able to now look for players that fit Neeld's criteria, just as he did for Bailey.

He has to. otherwise he will lose his job. But Neeld won't come in and start firing bullets at people who have been doing there job as directed.

Cooko-Maxwell will captain the Pies for at least amother3 seasons, asyou point out he barracked for the Dees, we have the money to buy him, and his family live in Gippsland, his brother played or plays for Casey, therefore some substance to say he will or may join us next year.Lastly, it would be a great challenge for him to captain the Dees in their next premiership.

Edited by jayceebee31

Too early to tell. Sylvinator makes a very, very good point. Furthermore, while there has been a complete turnover of staff in the coaching area, surely Neeld will look at Prendergast's recent successes and change the needs that he judges rather than remove him? We've picked up Davis, Tom Mc, McKenzie, Jurrah, Evans, Nicholson, Lawrence and Bail under Prendergast, all late in the draft. That's a massive strike rate for picks that are generally unsuccessful.

I'd say Neeld will simply get Prendergast to change targets rather than remove him.

Too early to tell. Sylvinator makes a very, very good point. Furthermore, while there has been a complete turnover of staff in the coaching area, surely Neeld will look at Prendergast's recent successes and change the needs that he judges rather than remove him? We've picked up Davis, Tom Mc, McKenzie, Jurrah, Evans, Nicholson, Lawrence and Bail under Prendergast, all late in the draft. That's a massive strike rate for picks that are generally unsuccessful.

I'd say Neeld will simply get Prendergast to change targets rather than remove him.

Well stated

While I'm satisfied with Prendergast's performance, I think only McKenzie and to a lesser extent Bail can be considered from this list to have "made it" and therefore I don't think we should claim he has a "massive strike rate" at this stage. Davis and Lawrence are yet to play a game, Tom Mc has only played two (albeit impressive games) and Evans and Nicholson a handful each. Jurrah's case is different. He only ended up in the PSD because, as I understand it, he was unable because of his remote location to lodge for the National Draft by the due date. If he had been in the National Draft I suspect he would have been picked up there rather than "slipping" through to the PSD.

As our Prime Minister would say, probably a bit too much "hyper-bowl".

Exactly. And I'm confident it's already well and truly under way.

Have all the we love Prendergast fans seen the players that Geelong or Freo have drafted in the last few years. I wouldn't mind me some Menzel, Duncan, Christiansen, Vardy or some Fyfe, Morabito, Suban, Ballantyne.

Maybe its development, but if I was a senior coach I'd want complete faith in my recruiting department as they bring you the ingredients that you cook from. I'm not sure I have complete faith in Prendergast, but then again I'm not in the industry.

Have all the we love Prendergast fans seen the players that Geelong or Freo have drafted in the last few years. I wouldn't mind me some Menzel, Duncan, Christiansen, Vardy or some Fyfe, Morabito, Suban, Ballantyne.

Maybe its development, but if I was a senior coach I'd want complete faith in my recruiting department as they bring you the ingredients that you cook from. I'm not sure I have complete faith in Prendergast, but then again I'm not in the industry.

I am a believer that Geelongs young players are hiding to a degree in the best team of the last 6 years.......

Freo's arnt that exciting either tbh, morobito has played like 8 games??? how can you make a call on him?

Also in response Gawn, Howe, Mcdonald, Nicholson Evans, Jurrah as late picks say alot imo

Then add Trengove, watts, tapscott, Gysberts, Blease and even Strauss was cementing his spot, (scully/ i mean 2 first rounders)

Not a bad 3 years imo

Edited by Jordie_tackles

I think we will be able to see just how good, or how bad our recruiting has been once the new coach has had them for a year or so. One thing though, I would rather we maximise our early draft picks and get the best available than boast how we have managed to pick up some handy players later in the draft.

Handy players don't win you a flag top line players are required for that and it is essential that you get the best possible player with your number one pick in the draft, there are plenty of fillers around that are "handy".

I agree with others wrt the shallow draft and how this year has been a good year to trade. There is no conspiracy but our recruiting strategy deserves a discussion I suppose.

I tend to think that Neeld may have a less rigid view of the national draft than others. He comes from Collingwood who have a good track record at developing players along a wide spectrum.

Collingwood have not had/used a 1st round draft pick since 2008 where they got Sidebottom at pick 11. In 2009 their first ND pick was Ball @ 30, in 2010 it was Fasolo @ 45 and on Thursday their first ND pick will be @ 50. So wrt the ND I am not surprised we chased Clark with pick 12 (for multiple reasons). This is not to say that Collingwood have thrown their picks away but to hilight they have gone about things a little differently of late.

I don't know how much of a roll Prendergast will play going forward wrt mature player recruitment and trades etc but I highly doubt Neeld would consider his track record when making decisions about how we use our ND picks. I genuinely think Neeld is simply open minded in how we go about things and believes in his own ability to develop players and enforce a structure and gameplan. You could argue that Neeld's willingness to trade pick 12 suggested he saw no urgency to use it irrespective of the strength of the draft which could possibly be seen to endorse our ND acquisitions in the last couple of years.

Edited by 1858

I think we will be able to see just how good, or how bad our recruiting has been once the new coach has had them for a year or so. One thing though, I would rather we maximise our early draft picks and get the best available than boast how we have managed to pick up some handy players later in the draft....

It is not an either / or : how about both Other than he who $hall not be mentioned, we have done pretty well under BP anyway.

But, one can always do better.

It is not an either / or : how about both Other than he who $hall not be mentioned, we have done pretty well under BP anyway.

But, one can always do better.

We've had some very early picks but up to now we don't have any players that we could call A grade, that may change of course but you would expect to pick up at least one given the number of of ten picks we've had. I would expect that Trengove will develop in to a top class player but he has a bit to prove before he could be considered one, same as Jack. Here's hoping.

Several players will be under the microscope during the 2012 season.Neeld shows he will not muck about and with a Super draft expected next year,I expect at least 6 changes this time next year. Actually would not surprise me that Pendlebury joins us then,

WE will pick up a top line experienced mid at this time.

Whoa! BIG call.....this'll be bigger than you-know-who joining you-know-where......

We've had some very early picks but up to now we don't have any players that we could call A grade, that may change of course but you would expect to pick up at least one given the number of of ten picks we've had. I would expect that Trengove will develop in to a top class player but he has a bit to prove before he could be considered one, same as Jack. Here's hoping.

Exactly how many players drafted in the time BP has been in charge have proven to be A grade?

I will be happy honest effort from the team rather then stand out stars like Judd or Ablett .

We will have stars all over the ground if we contest properly.

The best cards in our deck are a pair of Jacks ,maybe three .

Our drafting in recent times has been great. It's our older players form like green,etc who struggled this year

Got it it one .

Exactly how many players drafted in the time BP has been in charge have proven to be A grade?

A grade players play at a grade clubs. We have been terrible at nurturing a grade players. At Hawthorn or Geelong they have the culture that can turn a Sewell or a Varcoe or an Enright into an elite player. We don't do that - yet.

2009 Martin and Fyfe are two to start off with.

2008 NikNat, Hurley and Hanneberry must be close.

2007 Rioli, Harry Taylor's not to shabby.

Of the players highlighted Martin then maybe Fyfe may be A grade but the others are no better than Trengove and im not excited as much s other by Fyfe yet, very good but A grade come on.

Dont disagree that any of them cant or wont be A graders but yet, no

We may have 2 in Frawley and to a lesser degree Jamar, Jamar being close to top 5 rucks in the league would put him up there, Frawley was in 2010 maybe B+ in 2011 still had a good year imo.

2009 Martin and Fyfe are two to start off with.

2008 NikNat, Hurley and Hanneberry must be close.

2007 Rioli, Harry Taylor's not to shabby.

Those players are A grade, but Trengove isn't?

You need to take off your turd-coloured glasses when appraising young demons, Robbie.

And BP wasn't in charge for the 2007 draft, so not sure what the relevance is.

Really what I was trying to illustrate is that NONE of the players drafted in the time BP has been in charge have become A graders because they are all too young. A lot show promise, but aren't there yet.

(bar Fyfe in my opinion - but he is a special case and even Freo have been surprised with how he has developed).

• Like 1

2008 turns into the forever Watts v Hurley debate. I still agree with not taking NikNat too - I wouldn't want us to be on the end of a C. Judd trade.

2007 was a rubbish draft. Of the top 20, the only players I rate are the top 2 (Cotchin/Kreuzer), Dangerfield and Taylor. I'd put J. Grimes in there as well if he'd stay on the park more (he is good, don't get me wrong, but the injuries are very concerning).

2009, plenty of clubs missed Fyfe (hell he was Freo's 2nd pick!). Martin v Trengove I prefer JT. And I'm not mentioning...him.

The only maybe one is Hannebery. We'd clearly been watching the Chargers (Strauss) - but even then Strauss had started to cement himself before the leg went. You can um and ah over drafts in hindsight too, remember.

I think we're doing pretty well.

There's a large dose of luck involved.

For every Fyfe taken at around 20, or Hanneberry taken around 30, it ignores the fact that the team choosing him probably would've opted for a Tambling, a Farren Ray or a James Sellar instead, if they were still available at that point rather than being chosen top 10.

• Like 1

There's a large dose of luck involved.

For every Fyfe taken at around 20, or Hanneberry taken around 30, it ignores the fact that the team choosing him probably would've opted for a Tambling, a Farren Ray or a James Sellar instead, if they were still available at that point rather than being chosen top 10.

Do you actually believe that?

You asked me who the A graders were I told you if you don't agree then that's your prerogative.

BTW I said,

I would expect that Trengove will develop in to a top class player but he has a bit to prove before he could be considered one, same as Jack. Here's hoping.

No Turd coloured glasses there purely my opinion; as I said I expect Trenners and Jack to develop in to top line players but they aren't there as yet.

Edited by RobbieF