What was the first VFL/AFL Melbourne game you attended?

Wilson7

My earliest memory that I can confirm the exact date, was June 1965

Melb V St.kilda at the G

My old man took me, he barracked for Sth.Melb

So I considered myself lucky to see a live game

I had hopes of a win, we doing ok, just before 1/2 time , Cooper took a hanger in the center

over Bromell I think it was, from that moment on it was all over, we got belted.

It got even worse, it if wasnt bad enough Barassi jumping ship, Smith getting sacked

I used to go to the G when 10yrs old, and sit thru the whole game, watching us getting flogged.

I recall another game that may have been before this, Melb V Hawthorn ,,, Anzac day but cant recall the year.

I remember those old banners, hanging / tied to the stands ie devestating demons etc etc

I had too alter my jumper from 31, so the 3 went I used the 1 to make 16.

I was at this game with my brother . We stood in the outer , at ground level , Southern stand . My long standing dislike for St Kilda stems from this game , not only because the loss was an absolute trouncing for the time and I felt humiliated by it , but also because there was a Saints supporter standing right behind us whose only words all afternoon seemed to be "good football " --- spoken loudly , often , and very much in the drawling style of W.C.Fields. We both recall it as a great taunting unpleasantness.

Cooper's mark was wonderful.

1965 was the first year I was allowed to go to the footy .

If you thought $cullduggery is bad, RDB was worse. (for me)

Add the Smith saga, I am surprised I'm still here to reflect back.

to add salt to my wounds, we were about to play in school GF , going back to back

and who gets invited to give a pep talk to us , 2 nights before the weekend Gabby Jeans

The same one, that ended any hope back in June, that really sent us in a downwood spiral.

I cant recall a word he said lol I think I switched off,, the enemy!!

Oh cruel world give me some hope, I have suffered enough

Very interesting to see we've got a bunch of people here (myself included) who started attending early in the Northey era. Children of those who saw the glory days!

My first game would have been in 1986, but the first I can remember is the 1987 game against North when Clarkson beat us on the siren.

Very interesting to see we've got a bunch of people here (myself included) who started attending early in the Northey era. Children of those who saw the glory days!

My first game would have been in 1986, but the first I can remember is the 1987 game against North when Clarkson beat us on the siren.

As I recall, actually after the siren - in his first game. Sheesh!

1956... I was about to turn 5. Record crowd, standing room only in the old Southern Stand. We won, of course, and in the dying seconds my mother got into an argument with a Collingwood supporter who had objected to my brother and me calling out: "Magpie stew for tea tonight, Demons" - all day. My earliest memory of a game, after being born into a family of Melbourne supporters. What a way to start on the long - and sometimes bumpy - road of MFC membership.

1987 - Round 18 v Brisbane Bears at the MCG

Went along with the old man and his close friend for the first time, watching the Demons roll a sheizen Bears outfit by 54 points in front of a paltry home crowd at the G. We were sitting well out of the top 5 at the time and Dad's mate earned a rebuke for telling me in jest that 'this was the start of our march to the finals'.

Little did we know ....

I'll never forget that fairy tale run. Some of the best, most exciting weeks of my life. Anyone who witnessed that run will always believe that until you're mathematically out of it, you're never out of it.

I remember going to a game at the Junction Oval against Fitzroy, about 1965-6, with my whole family. I remember getting done by about a point and after the game walking down Fitzroy st with my jumper over my head so no-one could see me crying. In fact up until I was about 7-8 years old I used to cry all the time when they got beaten. Those were the days and they haven't changed much.

Children of those who saw the glory days!

Funny you say that, my mum was a mad Geelong supporter and Dad was a lapsed Carlton supporter. Apparently lost interest when Barassi went there. I guess that's rather serendipitous that he became a MFC member 30 years down the track when his youngest son would nag him to take him every week.

I can't remember exactly, but somewhere in the mid 1950s, possibly 56, a Melbourne v Fitzroy game at THOF.

It ended up as a draw 11.11.77 each.

When I get time inwill trawl through the web and find the exact date and match details.

The first game I can remember is also a drawn game against Fitzroy. Round 12 1961. It rained all day and it finished with 6.8 (44) apiece. Nilsson kicked three. We came down on the train from a distant country town and first Port of Call was the Public Bar at the Savoy Plaza. We went there again after the game; I've no idea about "refreshments" at the game. I was, like Robbie F, a lemonade and raspberry man in those days and would have had a heap of them. I'd been to a number of Footscray VFL matches as a toddler in the very early 50s at the Western Oval when we had a Grocer's Shop in Williamstown.

Edited by CHAMP

Can't remember the game or how old I was but it was in the 50's and all I remember is my dad stopped in for a few beers at a pub in Swanston street on the way and made me wait out the front with a raspberry lemonade while he did.

That pub Robbie, was it Young & Jackson's, the Graham or the Cathedral?

My first game was GF 1957 only problem was I wasn't to be born for another 3 months. Either mum or I got a bit excited and I tried to make an early break for it, she ended up in St Andrews hospital until December when I finally arrived. The First game I remember was with my Great Aunt (an ex carlton supporter who became a rabid dees supporter) in 1970 against Carlton, I had followed Barrasi to Carlton as a 7 year old and she was determined to liberate me back to the demons- she won.

My first game was GF 1957 only problem was I wasn't to be born for another 3 months. Either mum or I got a bit excited and I tried to make an early break for it, she ended up in St Andrews hospital until December when I finally arrived. The First game I remember was with my Great Aunt (an ex carlton supporter who became a rabid dees supporter) in 1970 against Carlton, I had followed Barrasi to Carlton as a 7 year old and she was determined to liberate me back to the demons- she won.

what a bizzare love triangle!!

1973. I started following the D's in about '64 after watching Barass's footy clinic every Saturday morning on the Happy Hammond show. But I grew up in the Dandenongs and didn't move down to the big smoke until '73. I started going to every game in May '73. Don't remember the first one but do have strong memories of going by train to a lot of the suburban grounds back then when it was intimidating to enter enemy territory. Particularly going to Vic Park where everything from the station to the ground was covered in black and white. Even more heavy going out to Windy Hill in those days where the local gangs used to prowl the streets looking for fights with visiting opposition supporters. Remember hearing about Robbie Flower coming and saw his first game but it wouldn't have been my first game but pretty close. Hardly missed a game through the '70's. A very lean beginning.

Remember driving up Punt Rd when the Tigers still played at their home ground. You could see the crowds watching games from Punt Rd. That was before I started going.

• Like 1

Wow. Thought you were me for a moment (I was born in November 1957). Then realised what a stupid thing to think...my mother has never seen a game of football in her life.

My first game was Melbourne V Geelong at the MCG. I reckon it must have been !963. Melbourne won in front of a huge crowd. Clear memories of "Bluey Adams" running around the boundary and Brian Dixon spearing a pass to another Melbourne player to the delight of the crowd. I also think it was a long weekend (Queens Birthday?) I'll accept a correction on the year.

I've given some thought to my first time at the footy. TBH I can't remember it. I think it may have been a Melbourne v Footscray game at Waverley around 1980/81, but I'm not entirely sure if it was the first, it may have been. I was fortunate enough to get into the Melbourne changerooms and get a photo taken with Robbie Flower with a towel around him, having just returned from the showers.

The earliest game I can recall as a 8 year old that stood out for me was Rd 21 Melbourne v Hawthorn in 1982. Hawthorn were on the way up (won '83 flag) and they were well in front of Melbourne going into the last quarter. Melbourne piled on a heap of goals in the last to get within a couple of points. And I distinctly recall Leigh Matthews bringing himself into the backline late in red time to steady the ship. I think the Hawks ended up winning by about 8. I looked up You Tube and found this 5 minute grab of the last quarter come back. It was exciting for a kid back then (remembering the Demons won the wooden spoon in '81. Have a look :

Legendary boundary umpire Carbery in the last couple of seconds of this tape........NO (head) buts about it !

My earliest memory ( not my first game ) dates from about 1957 or 1958 when we played at the Junction Oval and the hapless Saints kicked only 1 goal ALL DAY ! I remember their extrovert coach, Killigrew, waving his arms at the stands to stir up their fans supported by elderly trainers making overhead circular motions with their towels. It was an awful shock if we lost a game back then !

I can't remember exactly, but somewhere in the mid 1950s, possibly 56, a Melbourne v Fitzroy game at THOF.

It ended up as a draw 11.11.77 each.

When I get time inwill trawl through the web and find the exact date and match details.

Here's your 1st game monoccular

http://stats.rleague...1119590801.html

Edited by Nuggets

My first game was Melbourne V Geelong at the MCG. I reckon it must have been !963. Melbourne won in front of a huge crowd. Clear memories of "Bluey Adams" running around the boundary and Brian Dixon spearing a pass to another Melbourne player to the delight of the crowd. I also think it was a long weekend (Queens Birthday?) I'll accept a correction on the year.

My recollections of Brian Dixon's kicks all involve wobbly efforts. Perhaps someone older than me can advise - was he a good or a poor kick?

Mid 1950's (can't remember which year) vs. Essendon. Went with my folks who were one eyed Bombers fans. The Demons won (which was the norm way back then) and I was hooked for life.

Edit:date

Edited by Deeoldfart

Wow. Thought you were me for a moment (I was born in November 1957). Then realised what a stupid thing to think...my mother has never seen a game of football in her life.

My recollections of Brian Dixon's kicks all involve wobbly efforts. Perhaps someone older than me can advise - was he a good or a poor kick?

Whilst he was a ball magnet with superior marking ability his tumbly short punts often caused the fans to groan !