What questions would you most like to ask Mark Neeld if you were having dinner with him tonight?

Footynut

There were only a few questions asked at Lunch today and most of them were covered above. He said that he will speak to the players in his office on Monday about the leadership and didn't think it was right to tell us before he told them. He also said he didn’t want the supporters to give him or the players any excuses for not performing; that is not acceptable. Both he and Neil Craig said our facilities are the best available. He also said he's not interested in 2011 he's only concerned about next year. That seems to be the theme of all the coaches. Misson said the players need a lot of work to get them up to where he wants.

Craig said that at Adelaide there was an expectation of achievement that started with the top players and went all the way down to the Rookies.

Todd asked the players in the last five games were they going out to play or perform, he said he could go out to play but wouldn’t be any good he needed the players to go out to perform, several told him they couldn’t, probably injured, so they were rested for the last few games.

It is all good at the moment the coaches can hardly wait for the season to start and it starts Monday.

So went to dinner and did have the pleasure of speaking to Mark.

Got quite a few questions answered.

I must say that after speaking with him there is no doubt the club is in GREAT hands.

Those piecing blue eyes could kill someone on the spot!

So a few answers to questions out there.

1. Perception the club is under resourced/behind with facilities. He and Neil Craig believe when compared to Collingwood and Crows Melbourne have the same if not BETTER facilities than these clubs. The club is also more resourced with people than the other two clubs mentioned. More that our people have not had role clarity and have not been working efficiently. Told the players stop thinking facilities are any excuse - big change in culture and mindset. Restructured staff - right people in the right places. They must become more efficient.

2. Mitch Clarke offer never changed from the time it was pitched to the second pitch in Brisbane. That was media make up. The amounts reported are also overstated.

3. He said numerous times - 'I only get one shot at this.' Thats why I got Mitch Clarke, thats why we are getting the best people to the club. I want to win. You get the impression this guy will stop at nothing to ensure success.

4. Clubs volume of training was HALF of what Collingwood, Adelaide and Stkilda do. Players are no where near ready to play how he wants them to play next year and reality is this will be a stepped approach to get them to where they need to be physically to play AFL. They wont be playing his game plan exactly how he wants it next year as they currently are so far off physical requirements.

5. Matthew Bate - We will need soldiers next year as most players are not ready for AFL football. He is a required player who has the potential.

6. Its a new leaf for every player at the club and they will need to show him leadership via actions during preseason, The leaders will automatically show out and he will be selecting the leadership group. ALL players will be starting from scratch he has an open mind.

7. Thinks alot of Trengove and Frawley when I posed as leaders.

8. He has had 2 days off in his first 5-6 weeks. He has been home only 4 times during that time. He is working over time to get systems and processes and structures fixed. He acknowledged so he should be - 'its what Melbourne supporters want me to do' And again 'I only get one shot at this.'

9. Didnt want to be drawn on Scully. Never had him so doesnt make any difference to Mark.

10. Colin needs to learn you represent the MFC even when you play for Aust. Drinking night before any training is not acceptable.

11. If a solid experienced player is available at pick 36 he will consider to add body strength to the playing group.

12. Melbourne couldnt get in the door for Caddy as Essendon took up the last day with mediation.

13. Views on particular players - he said we will find out Monday at training. 'I have an open mind until I see them on the track.' Reserves all judgement until then.

14. Still waiting til Monday to see if Aussie comes back from holiday to see what next steps are.

Words to describe: Genuine, down to earth, confident, strong, steely, balanced and knows very clearly what he wants from himself and everyone around him.

The boys ARE in for it on Monday!

Go Dees!

Thanks boys.

Just what we all wanted to hear.........and now the proof will be in the pudding.

One word will sum up this next 12 months...........HARD.

I would ask these questions;

* What and who excites you the most about our list

* What are the gaps in our list

* Who is not performing to their potential that you can turn around

* What are the focus areas for 2011/2012 and onwards

* Who do you think might surprise Melb supporters in 2012 and why

* Where do you see the areas opposition teams will see the improvement in your new structure

Yes , first class work from Footynut and RobbieF

Enlightening and eye-opening ! Esp the bit about the volume of training - well done and good thread .

I guess now I would ask him "WTF can you do withColin Sylvia"?

A very talented footballer, but a bit of a dhead of a person, it seems. A hit like Shane Warne, in a slightly different way.

Big challenge, Mark - are you up to it?

Big challenge, Col - are you up to it?

Edited by monoccular

There was a bit of humour shown at the Lunch; Mark said if the players aren't fit it's Misson's fault, if the kids don't come on it's Viney's fault and if I can't coach it's Craig's fault.

i was impressed with all the Coach's they all seem to be as one.

Great lunch.

Didn't have time to stick around and ask any extra questions.

Found Mark Neeld great to hear from.

He inspires great cconfidence in himself.

When he talks, he doesn't seem to talk for long - he takes the shortest path from A to B, but he makes an impact with what he says.

2 things that stuck out to me have already been covered, but I'd like to cover them again because different people hear different things.

I'm paraphrasing in parts, but I'd like to think it's pretty accurate. At least in sentiment.

- When asked about our facilities and resources, and how they compared to those at Collingwood?

Mark Neeld implored those in the room and supporters in general to help change the perception.

He said when at Collingwood it is fairly insular - when people come into the club, they are told that Collingwood have telhe best facilities and the best resources. The people there believe that. There are no excuses.

But at Melbourne, he can see we have better facilities and we now have better resources.

As supporters we talk about not having what Collingwood has and that is our perception.

We're giving Neeld a chop out.

And he doesn't want it.

The players don't want it. The club doesn't want it.

We have everything we need to compete with the best. There are no excuses.

- when asked about the leadership group, Neeld said he needed to sit down in his office Monday and begin working on that.

It's something he hasn't yet considered, but he will be choosing the captain and the leadership group.

As has been his mantra since coming to the club, he aims for high performance with high INTEGRITY, and for that reason he won't discuss what his decision will be until the players themselves know.

- when asked about the leadership group, Neeld said he needed to sit down in his office Monday and begin working on that.

It's something he hasn't yet considered, but he will be choosing the captain and the leadership group.

That's good - our playing group isn't qualified to select its own leaership group. Getting new draftees and 1 and 2 year players to vote is a farce.

• Like 1

Wholeheartedly agree.

In previous years I've thought an influx of 6 or so new players have skewed the results of leadership voting.

Leadership isn't all about making a bit of noise in pre-season.

I dare say a lot of votes would have changed drastically once a season had gone by.

That's good - our playing group isn't qualified to select its own leaership group. Getting new draftees and 1 and 2 year players to vote is a farce.

I agree. Nor is it about who is the most popular senior player. Neeld will choose the players he best thinks will be able cascade his message throughout the playing list.

unrelated but Dexter is better then BB imo, season 6 has started well too

Completely off topic, but the start to Dexter Season 6 has been the worst start of any Dexter series in my opinion!

I would say Dexter seasons 1-5 are better than BB. But BB Season 4 > Dexter Season 6 (so far).

Not sure how anyone can like Dexter better.

The acting and writing for BB is far superior.

I can only fathom that some prefer the darker twisted subject matter, and it clouds their judgment.

Far superior? Disagree there. Both are very well written and acted. I love both, but find Dexter more entertaining most of the time.

Not sure how anyone can like Dexter better.

The acting and writing for BB is far superior.

I can only fathom that some prefer the darker twisted subject matter, and it clouds their judgment.

Deadwood, The Wire and Weeds are better than both of these but all 5 are terrific viewing.

Sherlock , Luther , Whitechapel , Spooks and New Tricks are gems from the U.K - they don't make many but well worth waiting for .

Edited by Nuggets

In regards to training loads and how we compare to Adelaide, filth and the Saints, whilst there is a vast gap between the sides and where we need to improve, it really sticks out at how bad Adelaide must really be. After all of their training, and yet a team doing half just wipes the floor with them.