Denham's problems with Melbourne

Redleg

Missed most of KB's first hour today with Denham, The Australian senior football writer, but when I started listening at about 9.50 AM, KB said to Denham "you really hate Melbourne don't you". Not sure what preceeded this so would be grateful to anyone who can shed light on it. When pressed after denying he hated MFC there was mention by KB of some resentment I think about MFC not selecting Denham as a player or something like that. Denham then said " I don't like the way they do business". Can anyone shed some light on this?

I only heard the first 20 minutes of his show, but they replayed a call on KBs show yesterday from a Dees supporter wanting to know why Denham hates Melbourne so much (Denham wasn't in the studio at the time of that call).

Denham didn't say he hates us, but called us a mediocre club who stand for nothing, and that we are too focused on the past, and not enough on the future. After that i decided to switch to FM.

I only heard the first 20 minutes of his show, but they replayed a call on KBs show yesterday from a Dees supporter wanting to know why Denham hates Melbourne so much (Denham wasn't in the studio at the time of that call).

Denham didn't say he hates us, but called us a mediocre club who stand for nothing, and that we are too focused on the past, and not enough on the future. After that i decided to switch to FM.

I can live with the "mediocre" description as until you consistently challenge for a flag or win one you are just that. I do resent the term " stand for nothing". The AFL used it a little while ago and it is offensive. We are the oldest club with a number of flags and great players . We have major involvement in community matters like Cancer week games etc. We are in the black, in new facilities, with a good list, good coaching panel, well sponsored with more to come, have assets etc. What do other clubs stand for? If the criteria is winning flags as meaning you stand for something every club outside the premier stands for nothing each year. What do the Pies stand for? They have had several unsavoury incidents in the last couple of years. Obviously they are to be looked up to. Also the Saints , look at their last couple of years, a great culture. Denham however would say these clubs stand for something.

I hope after trade week our admin discuss this with him and indicate in strong language that this term is offensive and we are greatly offended by it. An apology would be nice but I wouldn't expect one from a journo who stands for nothing.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 3

I don't even know what "stands for nothing" means. To me it's just a vague, hollow insult flung at us by muck-rakers who can't think of anything specific or substantive to have a crack at us about. As Redleg asked: what do other clubs "stand for"?

To me if you (a general "you") tell me that the MFC stands for nothing, that's my cue to stop listening to you because it's clear you have no substance. Just as I'll stop reading a Demonlander's post the minute he says "stop accepting mediocrity".

• Like 2

We cop a lot of flak from all journalists and football commentators and I guess most of it is relevant, we are neither here nor there, and we do have a tendency to dwell on the past. Schwab is a bit obsessed with our history and whilst that’s great it’s about time we made some “new history” and stopped relying on past glories.

We have gone about modernising the club over the last few years but we seem to make mistakes that reinforce the attitude of softness that surrounds the club. We appointed Balme, Daniher and Bailey as coaches and whilst they were all first class people and very media friendly (and player friendly) they just couldn’t cut the mustard as coaches. Problem is when we sacked them we copped heaps from the media because they were all matey with them.

Hopefully Neeld will be strictly a coach not a media liaison officer on behalf of the club and will instil some spine and hardness in to not only the club but the administration as well. We don’t need a best mate for the players we need someone that will pull them in to line when they make a blue and hopefully a far more professional attitude around the club.

I still think the influence of the MCC on the club is too great and it makes us far too conservative.

Issue could have arisen from his spot last week on SEN when he started fawning over how he reckoned Geelong built a club and a list through hard work and without tanking. I could see where it was leading! I thought for a second I could ring in and remind him about the low father/son picks that played in the Geelong flags, their ridiculous home ground advantage, the fact that Westpac wrote off 5 million in Geelong debt (under threat of not being able to do business in Geelong and unlike MFC supporters who dipped into their own pockets), how a club (any club) is obliged to work in the best interests of it's supporters (as Melbourne has).

I could have rung in but I turned off instead. Not going to take the bait from this oxygen thief and kudos to that MFC supporter for ringing in outside of Denhams spot to pot him back.

I don't even know what "stands for nothing" means. To me it's just a vague, hollow insult flung at us by muck-rakers who can't think of anything specific or substantive to have a crack at us about. As Redleg asked: what do other clubs "stand for"?

To me if you (a general "you") tell me that the MFC stands for nothing, that's my cue to stop listening to you because it's clear you have no substance. Just as I'll stop reading a Demonlander's post the minute he says "stop accepting mediocrity".

It's all about respect Nasher and the general football community have none for us, they do however have a certain amount of pity and a sort of affection for us.

Is that what we want?

It's all about respect Nasher and the general football community have none for us, they do however have a certain amount of pity and a sort of affection for us.

Is that what we want?

I don't care about perceptions but we should push back on this sort of BS.

"Stands for nothing" is just the call of the lazy critic who doesn't know what he doesn't like but knows he doesn't like it.

I still think the influence of the MCC on the club is too great and it makes us far too conservative.

Is that because their members have leather patches on the elbows of their jackets?

What influence are you talking about and how does it make us too conservative?

I think when someone claims that journalist hates us it really is claims on D'land about player bashing.

And MFD its was that pillar of meeism and self interest KB using term. Either he is pandering to a low demographic or its further proof of his LCD instincts.

FWIW, I could not give a stuff about Denham. A champion of the cheap throw away line.

Is that what we want?

Robbie, I reckon if we solve the specific problems (whatever they are) one by one, then respect from the general community will come on its own. rpfc has summed up what I think of "standing for nothing". What's worse is he couldn't even come up with his own generic barb - he had to borrow one from Andrew Demetriou.

It's all about respect Nasher and the general football community have none for us, they do however have a certain amount of pity and a sort of affection for us. Is that what we want?

I was listening to him, and yeah he said we are the most irrelevant club in the AFL, and we are more focused on the past and to get our heads out of the Long room and to focus on the future.

He certainly doesn't hold us with any affection lets say that.

As "Demons" we still have a ways to go to live up to that name, to be feared and respected.... sometimes I think we are closer to the "Fuschia's"

Generally, when someone stoops to unsubstantiated negative epithets, they do so either through jealousy or they fear things are moving in a positive direction for their target. As for the MCC making us too conservative, would you like to do without their cash?

Denham claims to be a Weagles supporter and reckons they're a strong and exceptionally well run club. That may be so, but so would most if they had the concessions they had at startup and beyond, particularly when they operated as one team in a footy made State.

If bagging other clubs helps sell newspapers, then journalists will always go down this easy path. Nothing new in this strategy. Suck it up Demonlanders.

I don't care about perceptions but we should push back on this sort of BS.

"Stands for nothing" is just the call of the lazy critic who doesn't know what he doesn't like but knows he doesn't like it.

If you don't think there's a problem then why bother responding.

What's worse is he couldn't even come up with his own generic barb - he had to borrow one from Andrew Demetriou.

In fairness Nasher, they may not have been his exact words (someone else may be able to claify), but he was clearly going down that path.

Missed most of KB's first hour today with Denham, The Australian senior football writer, but when I started listening at about 9.50 AM, KB said to Denham "you really hate Melbourne don't you". Not sure what preceeded this so would be grateful to anyone who can shed light on it. When pressed after denying he hated MFC there was mention by KB of some resentment I think about MFC not selecting Denham as a player or something like that. Denham then said " I don't like the way they do business". Can anyone shed some light on this?

I remember he was very positive about MFC awhile back.

Spruiked how good we were and as we all know, we fell on our ass. Seemed like he might've put a few bob on.

If you don't think there's a problem then why bother responding.

I said I don't care.

I hate PR but I know it's important - if he has another go I would do an Eddie and call up and challenge the bloke.

Why would anyone take a Denham prediction seriously?

Demons the pick to bring flag home

EIGHT of the past 10 AFL premierships have been won by clubs from outside the traditional heartland of Victoria, including the past six in succession.

To add insult to injury, the past three grand finals have not even featured a Victorian side.

Could this be the year that trend changes?

If the non Victorian powerhouses are to be challenged by the 10 Victorian clubs, only four appear capable of rising to the occasion - Melbourne, Geelong, the Western Bulldogs and St Kilda.

The Demons, who were the highest-placed Victorian club last season, are cherry-ripe to have a cracker of a year and appear best placed to end the dominance of the non Victorian brigade.

There are several reasons Melbourne will have its best year since 2000, when it finished runner-up to Essendon:

* It has an underrated but highly skilled midfield;

* It plays 12 games at its happy hunting ground, the MCG;

* Improved to be the No.1 tackling team in the league in 2006;

* Excellent recruiting provided it with an injection of quality youth last year;

* It has received an additional $500,000 for football department spending.

Denham is also the most sensitive footy journalist. Any caller to SEN who has the temerity to question his judgement is met with an arrogant "You are wrong! I am right." He often fails to make a coherent argument to back his opinion.

I reckon Denham is only a Belinda Neal away from "DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM!?!"

I was listening to him, and yeah he said we are the most irrelevant club in the AFL, and we are more focused on the past and to get our heads out of the Long room and to focus on the future.

He certainly doesn't hold us with any affection lets say that.

As "Demons" we still have a ways to go to live up to that name, to be feared and respected.... sometimes I think we are closer to the "Fuschia's"

Correct we aren’t at all a ruthless club like some of the others (most) and we fall in to that category of not hated, not liked, but if your club’s not playing then you barrack for the Dees (North Bulldogs) it’s a bit like pity.

We’ve failed to confront these problems before now, in fact some like Rhine Richards will tell you there are no problems, all’s rosy and if any issue does arise it’s all new not in any way related to any previous issue even though it is an identical and recurring issue.

We’ve been a conservative club forever and if we want gain respect we have to shed that image and become a more professional outfit; hopefully the loss to Geelong has stung us in to action and we shed our past not continue to live in it.

BTW I don't care about Denham he's a [censored] but all he's doing in this case is echoing the sentiment of the rest of the football World, don't shoot the messenger have a look at the message.

Edited by RobbieF
  • Like 1