Lutz

I think the trade of Travis Johnstone which brought us Jack Grimes was pretty good......

Agree but I was actually referring only to players we got in trade week not picks. I do agree that it was a great trade and did so at the time. If we had picked up a Maric with that pick would we be saying the same thing. My post really was on improving the list with a player traded to us in trade week only.

The only ones hyping it up have been those suggesting we throw everything at Crouch -- pick #12 and two compo picks ... effectively three first round picks ... for one player who would at best go top 5 (with one pick) in 2012.

GWS end up with even more 2011 draft picks (#4 and #10) to add to 20-somethings like Scully, Palmer, Davis and Ward. I'm still wondering where their big-bodied experienced players are going to come from.

I may be wrong but I don't think anyone was suggesting pick 12 and two compos for Crouch, it was to try to land O'meara. pick 12 and 1 compo was being suggested for Crouch. I believe Melbourne just got a little greedy asking for a top 25 pick in return. Probably would have got our man if it wasn't for that.

why do we seem to value these compensation picks so much??? If we were to use them next year in the "superdraft" along with everyone elses compo picks, that would further lower where our picks would be. Then there is also PP to include. Our compo picks might end up being picks 12 & 20ish, given that the Crows will probably finish outside the 8 and thus, their After 1st round pick which GWS might get, will be more valuable than our mid 1st round pick.

These picks aren't exactly world beaters and won't garantee us netting a star with picks 12&20, and if we weren't willing to give them up for say a Crouch, who is more likely than not going to turn out better than say these picks 12&20 will, i'd be very disturbed with the MFC recruting department being so naive and blind.

Or we're lining up a triple swoop in the mega draft next year. Look at it. First pick for JV (as expected). Both compos activated. Pick up 3 first-round picks next year, in a draft where the 'prospective' picks don't start until the 20s by the looks of it.

Yeah, Crouch would have been great. So would a triple swoop including JV next year.

Edited by Striker475

With the amount of ammunition we have, that would be an awful result.

The only justification can be that other clubs have paid massive overs for the picks. Even then......

GWS don't want to give, mini draft picks too the MFC.

The two clubs, are after the same premiership window.

Why would they want to give us anything, even if it a good deal...

The only ones hyping it up have been those suggesting we throw everything at Crouch -- pick #12 and two compo picks ... effectively three first round picks ... for one player who would at best go top 5 (with one pick) in 2012.

GWS end up with even more 2011 draft picks (#4 and #10) to add to 20-somethings like Scully, Palmer, Davis and Ward. I'm still wondering where their big-bodied experienced players are going to come from.

Disagree Maurie. It seems that Crows give pick 10 and compo to our offer pick 12 and compo and they get pick 14 back and now want a listed player as well, when we asked for a pick back inside 25. If we gave pick 12 and compo and said you keep pick 14 from GC and give us your next pick after 15 say 25-30 that is far better for them. We obviously just went cold on Crouch or we are very set in our ways. Most on here wouldn't have blinked at 12 and compo let alone getting a pick back in return, so that is a long way off 12 and both compo picks.

The Crows appear to have beaten us to Crouch by two spots better on the pick they gave but possibly GWS could have saved 11 spots on the pick they gave back. I don't understand that when they have pick 11 in between anyway. It does seem like they didn't want to deal with us. Maybe we walked away when they told us to.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 2

I may be wrong but I don't think anyone was suggesting pick 12 and two compos for Crouch, it was to try to land O'meara. pick 12 and 1 compo was being suggested for Crouch. I believe Melbourne just got a little greedy asking for a top 25 pick in return. Probably would have got our man if it wasn't for that.

Adelaide offered essentially the same thing, and look to get pick 14 in return. The mid-1st-rounder will be pick 10 in an upcoming draft.

Disagree Maurie. It seems that Crows give pick 10 and compo to our offer pick 12 and compo and they get pick 14 back and now ant a listed player as well when we asked for a pick back inside 25. If we gave pick 12 and compo and said you keep pick 14 from GC and give us your next pick after 15 say 25-30 that is far better for them. We obviously just went cold on Crouch or we are very set in our ways. Most on here wouldn't have blinked at 12 and compo let alone getting a pick back in return, so that is a long way off 12 and both compo picks.

Just beat me to it, Redleg...

I am usually level headed when it comes to trade week.... but with Dawes talk, O'meara talk, Crouch talk I was very happy.

None of it has happened and unfortunately the perception of the public is that we were soft and unable to get what we needed

Pick 12 and 1 compo was being suggested for Crouch.

And it wasn't enough. It appears that throwing in another compo pick was the only way to really get it done i.e. beat Adelaide's offer. That's far too much imho, and therefore people shouldn't wail on about "all hype and ending up with nothing"

I might be missing something, but wouldn’t that be the same as Adelaide getting pick 14 in return? How did we get ‘trumped’? Adelaide’s offer doesn’t seem to be significantly greater than ours, less so if they want an uncontracted player as part of the deal as well. Doesn’t quite add up to me.

GWS don't want to give, mini draft picks too the MFC.

The two clubs, are after the same premiership window.

Why would they want to give us anything, even if it a good deal...

Can't help but agree, our premiership window will be the same time as GC and GWS and we look to get stomped by these super powers and we'll end up on a another "rebuilding phase"

I might be missing something, but wouldn’t that be the same as Adelaide getting pick 14 in return? How did we get ‘trumped’? Adelaide’s offer doesn’t seem to be significantly greater than ours, less so if they want an uncontracted player as part of the deal as well. Doesn’t quite add up to me.

I'm not right up with what exactly has transpired, but our offer was for O'Meara. Was the same bid placed for Crouch ? Anyone ?

I think in this case it's open to interpretation, hence why nutbean started with "no"

I find it disturbing that my comment was open to interpretation. I sincerely feel sorry for nutbean, if you read something other than what was intended.

In my view, having a dip and making an offer is the same thing. It's just the size of the splash that varies.

Perceptions doesn't worry me.

I do want us to get a star level talent for the compo but it doesn't have to happen yet...

We do have them for 5 years and if we cannot offload them this trade week than we will evaluate the next draft and make a decision on what to do.

I'm dissapointed that we didn't get what we wanted (again).

But i'll give the MFC recruiting team some credit. They go into negotiations clear in what they are willing to trade, and refuse to pay what they consider 'overs'.