• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Lutz

Adel got into bed with GWS on the "super deal".

Having shared their pillow talk not to mention other like nasties,they were ahead in terms of any negotiation.

GWS clearly do not care for us and happy to try and do us over. again we slip behind.

Then there was the very strange comment by the Adel recruiting guy today about it all becoming clear later.

Point is we are still armed with picks to use at some time. If the deal is not right then we can wait. Number 1 pick was the real prize here.

we move on.

I tend to agree with you, we still have the two compo picks.

They are still valuable, two good players are still available to the MFC next year or the year after.

The only thing worse than paying too much is giving them to GWS.

Disagree. Number 2 pick would have been a great result to land a homegrown kid who can certainly play. We've invested a lot of time into this and come out with 0. I hope we now get on our bike and not waste the rest of the week. We've got some ammo and we need to start using it.

Live rounds are always live simma02

Live rounds are always live simma02

At the end of the day Crouch would have gone top 5 next year. Our compo picks won't land us a top 5 player. Hence why it would have been good to get the deal done because we hopefully won't be in the position for a very long time from here on in to finish low enough to obtain a top 5 player. Crouch would have been a handy addition and we've missed out. If Adelaide offered something ridiculous then I can understand why we didn't match it. However, if we had the opportunity to match or slightly better their offer then this result is extremely disapointing, especially with all the time invested in trying to secure the deal.

Edited by simma02

I would be extremely dissapointed if Melbourne only offered 1 pick for the calibre of a Crouch or an O'meara, that would just be taking the [censored]. Word around the media covering the trade is that it was a no brainer for demons to utilize mix of pick 12 and compo picks to secure one of these 17yr olds as they have stated both would be a top 5 choices this year as underage players no less. If there is any opportunity left to have another crack i hope they take it and make the most of it!!!

• Like 1

That is what we are discussing Maurie the price. I admit I am not the expert here even though I have recruited players to the club before, but i would have thought that with the way Crouch is viewed that pick 12 and 1 compo from us, with GC pick 14 going to GWS and us getting GWS pick later on is a far better deal for GWS and not a worse price for us.

Firstly, I don't get the idea of it being a fair "auction" if GWS themselves determine what's the best bid. Who works out whether 10 and give back 14 is better than 12 and give back 25?

Secondly, isn't the complicating factor that these compo picks are determined by finishing order in the year they're taken? That makes the picks much more speculative. If Adelaide finish bottom next year and we finish, say, 7th, isn't their compo pick then worth a lot more?

I would be extremely dissapointed if Melbourne only offered 1 pick for the calibre of a Crouch or an O'meara, that would just be taking the [censored]. Word around the media covering the trade is that it was a no brainer for demons to utilize mix of pick 12 and compo picks to secure one of these 17yr olds as they have stated both would be a top 5 choices this year as underage players no less. If there is any opportunity left to have another crack i hope they take it and make the most of it!!!

Agreed. One compo pick alone was never going to be enough - very naive if we only offerred it on its own and thought for one second that we'd get him. I hope this wasn't the case.

Disagree. Number 2 pick would have been a great result to land a homegrown kid who can certainly play. We've invested a lot of time into this and come out with 0. I hope we now get on our bike and not waste the rest of the week. We've got some ammo and we need to start using it.

Its frustrating that we often talk ourselves up with things like this then come out with 0.

I personally think it was unfair that Gold Coast were allowed to be involved in this mini draft bidding system given the fact they were so loaded with top picks last year and were a shoe in for the spoon that they were always going to be in an unbeatable position in this bidding process. They have no need for pick 4 anyway so it was like a bonus to them whereas all the other real clubs had to weigh up a lot more.

At the end of the day Crouch would have gone top 5 next year. Our compo picks won't land us a top 5 player. Hence why it would have been good to get the deal done because we hopefully won't be in the position for a very long time from here on in to finish low enough to obtain a top 5 player. Crouch would have been a handy addition and we've missed out. If Adelaide offered something ridiculous then I can understand why we didn't match it. However, if we had the opportunity to match or slightly better their offer then this result is extremely disapointing, especially with all the time invested in trying to secure the deal.

I'm with you simma, if we play the way we are hoping these compo picks are only going to become less valuable as we finish higher on the ladder. Crouch would've been a great get and I'd guess he would've been praying Melbourne got the deal done too so he didn't have to play for the SA filth.

If these deals are correct then GWS are not acting in good faith (yeah, we all know their record...).

Adel - gets Crouch and Pick 14

GWS gets Pick 10 and Pick 20ish (comp)

Melb - gets Crouch and Pick 25 (the one Collingwood gave them)

GWS gets Pick 12 and Pick 12ish (comp)

How the hell does the MFC get rolled on that?

I call shenanigans!

Seriously, though. I call BS.

If that's what we offered and if that is what Adelaide has offered than we have truly been

outplayed and the only conclusion to arrive at is that GWS has something against us and currently

we haven't even arrived at the contest.

GWS gets Pick 12 and Pick 12ish (comp)

How the hell does the MFC get rolled on that?

I call shenanigans!

Seriously, though. I call BS.

How the hell would we give them a compo pick that is better than Adelaide's? The Crows are likely to finish in the bottom 8 for the next few years, if we finish above them, which we should do, we cannot match their compo pick. Our mid 1st rounder comes after the teams in the bottom 8 have their 1st round picks (Adelaide's compo pick, coming directly after their 1st round pick thus beats out Melbourne's mid compo pick. Melbourne's compo pick after our first rounder again would come after Adelaide's, if we finish above them.)

It shows how much value we have placed on these picks (far too much IMO), as we will most likely have picks roughly at around early-mid teens (factoring in PP's and GWS's GC and ADELAIDE compo picks, and possibly the Doggies compo pick too)

Everyone is assuming that GWS will only give 2 picks up, what if they decide that they want to stock pile draft picks and throw up another pick this year, they could get pick 10 pick 12 plus to compensation picks

Edited by drdrake

A lot of hysteria in this thread. It simply appears Adelaide outbid us for Crouch because they had an earlier ND pick than us.

Crows bid ND10 + 1st round compo pick AFTER THEIR 1st round pick (not end of 1st round) for Crouch and pick 14

We could probably beat this with ND12 + 1st round compo pick after our 1st rounder for Crouch and pick 25 (Marty Clarke pick)

But The Age says we want a pick back inside the top 25 - the next lowest pick GWS has is 14 (they traded 15 to Richmond in the Morris deal). GWS can't give us back picks they don't have. We clearly thought that the deal with only pick 25 back was paying over the odds for Crouch and so did the Crows because they are getting pick 14 back. We judged that the price is high.

Edited by old55
  • Like 1

Crouch would have gone top five?

Okay, so he's playing in the SANFL next year for the Crows affiliate.

Playing well, has a great season. They make finals.

First final, torn achilles. 12-18 months, with doubts he'll ever play again. He wouldn't go top 5 then.

It's a terrible thought, but anything can happen in footy. These guys still have a season of footy to go through before they start playing AFL...lots could change in that time.

How the hell would we give them a compo pick that is better than Adelaide's? The Crows are likely to finish in the bottom 8 for the next few years, if we finish above them, which we should do, we cannot match their compo pick. Our mid 1st rounder comes after the teams in the bottom 8 have their 1st round picks (Adelaide's compo pick, coming directly after their 1st round pick thus beats out Melbourne's mid compo pick. Melbourne's compo pick after our first rounder again would come after Adelaide's, if we finish above them.)

It shows how much value we have placed on these picks (far too much IMO), as we will most likely have picks roughly at around early-mid teens (factoring in PP's and GWS's GC and ADELAIDE compo picks, and possibly the Doggies compo pick too)

We've got a mid-1st round pick, which would be 10 next year, and Adelaide only have an end of 1st round, and if the mid-1st round is activated, that is only pick 20. (Assuming priority picks are nixed)

A lot of hysteria in this thread. It simply appears Adelaide outbid us for Crouch because they had an earlier ND pick than us.

Crows bid ND10 + 1st round compo pick AFTER THEIR 1st round pick (not end of 1st round) for Crouch and pick 14

We could probably beat this with ND12 + 1st round compo pick after our 1st rounder for Crouch and pick 25 (Marty Clarke pick)

But The Age says we want a pick back inside the top 25 - the next lowest pick GWS has is 14 (they traded 15 to Richmond in the Morris deal). GWS can't give us back picks they don't have. We clearly thought that the deal with only pick 25 back was paying over the odds for Crouch and so did the Crows because they are getting pick 14 back. We judged that the price is high.

It all gets a little complex but I think I agree with your last 7 words old55.

Has anyone worked out when picks start to become a lottery.

Pick 4/5 or end of first round?

Anyway as i said above i dont think GWS were serious about dealing with us or they might take the view to get what they want this year they need to have picks 1 to 10 covered and dont care after that. Who knows.

We've got a mid-1st round pick, which would be 10 next year, and Adelaide only have an end of 1st round, and if the mid-1st round is activated, that is only pick 20. (Assuming priority picks are nixed)

That's not correct

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=123360

The selection for Phil Davis may be activated by the Adelaide Crows after its round one selection in any one of the 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 NAB AFL Draft Selection Meetings. The selection will be immediately placed behind the Round One selection of the Adelaide Crows in that particular season. (I.e, should the Crowss earn the right for selection 12, the compensation selection would be number 13, if the Crows earn the right for selection four, the compensation selection would be number five etc.).

A lot of hysteria in this thread. ...................

................................We judged that the price is high.

This is it. When interviewed Harrington said quite clearly you have to know where your aiming and the right price to pay. Its not about getting done over or taking a deal for a deals sake its about bettering our position at fair exchange.

Its not like we HAVE to..Its not like you have to do a deal as some form of souvenir of the week ffs.

If that's what we offered and if that is what Adelaide has offered than we have truly been

outplayed and the only conclusion to arrive at is that GWS has something against us and currently

we haven't even arrived at the contest.

Hmmm perhaps it is true, Sheedy is still [censored] we rejected his bid to coach us.

Our mid first round pick could end up being potentially pick 12/13 if you include ladder positions and all other PP's and CP's being activated for next years draft, after first round pick would then be around pick 15-20. Hardly world beaters. Putting it into context, we got Bate and Dunn with similar picks in 2004. The MFC and supporters are putting too much importance on these picks.

These picks(CP) if we cant use them to advantage this year then we warehouse them. It not the end of the world. ( .....thats next month!! )

Never mind!

GWS will burn when there VIC kids want to come home. They will all be wanting to come to the Dee's.

Be patient Melbourne!

We are the competions biggest threat! And they know it.