Coaching sub committee

The bull

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm ok with the composition of the panel, but like some others, I think the addition of an outsider with senior coaching experience, and an understanding of the modern game, would add value to the process. Matthews comes to mind, assuming that he's not a candidate. Parkin has filled this role for some other clubs, but maybe his knowledge is a bit dated.

GOOD

President, VP, CEO, Acting football director and board all involved. The new coach will have the support of the board.

BAD

Only 2/5 with footy experience

No outside perspective

INTERESTING

No Chris Connolly

Garry Lyon's quote a few weeks/months back, words to the effect of "selecting a coach is not something I'd like to go through again".

Adelaide's structure appears much stronger, don't be surprised if in 5 years we've got a failure and they have success.

Edited by the master

Guest Gareth Keenan

I'm interested in hearing suggestions for those who posters would consider a good choice as an "outside consultant" on this panel.

I would like one external member, but not a lot of options come to mind.

For clarification, Neitz is not external, and I'm not sure I'd consider him a good judge to have on the panel.

Matthews has been out of coaching for a few years now (and a year is a long time in football) and was strategically behind most.

In both cases I don't think they are the best choice.

I recall we had Nathan Burke as part of the panel last time, and Robert Walls was mentioned earlier.

I think it'd be hard to find outside consultants, because the majority of those qualified, would have some sort of conflict of interest.

Ideally I think you'd want a senior assistant that was recently in the game, but no longer affiliated with a club.

Still, there is the very real chance a person in that position would have crossed paths with candidates, introducing bias, and also they may be interested in winning a place in the new coach's team of assistants.

A logistical pain in the neck.

Matthew Lloyd maybe?

I'm ok with the composition of the panel, but like some others, I think the addition of an outsider with senior coaching experience, and an understanding of the modern game, would add value to the process. Matthews comes to mind, assuming that he's not a candidate. Parkin has filled this role for some other clubs, but maybe his knowledge is a bit dated.

Matthews has been mentoring Bailey for a couple of years and that didn't work, I think he's been away from it for too long now. Roos would be someone that i would look at I consider him a man of integrity and honesty..

What you don't want is a former footballer who wants to push the barrow of a mate.

Dees coaching sub-committee: Garry Lyon (chair), President Jim Stynes, Vice Presidents Don McLardy and Guy Jalland and CEO Cameron Schwab.

Why is the CEO picking the coach?

Thoughts?

Who is Guy Jalland an what are his credentials?

A lot on here thought the last coach selection was wrong at the time

Perhaps on this occasion we should have looked a little wider for contributors to the selection panel.

Given the Board are clearly responsible for the current mess why would you have them involved now with 3 positions on the panel

This club appears so un-professional It looks like a small time suburban club some times

Guest Gareth Keenan

Matthews has been mentoring Bailey for a couple of years and that didn't work, I think he's been away from it for too long now. Roos would be someone that i would look at I consider him a man of integrity and honesty..

What you don't want is a former footballer who wants to push the barrow of a mate.

I know there's 2 sides to every story, but the excerpts from Barry Hall's new book, and his account of Roos therein, don't fill me with confidence of Roos' honesty or integrity.

Guest Gareth Keenan

Who is Guy Jalland an what are his credentials?

A lot on here thought the last coach selection was wrong at the time

Perhaps on this occasion we should have looked a little wider for contributors to the selection panel.

Given the Board are clearly responsible for the current mess why would you have them involved now with 3 positions on the panel

This club appears so un-professional It looks like a small time suburban club some times

Your argument doesn't stack up.

You criticise the last decision, but then your solution is to look wider - last time Nathan Burke was involved in the process, and according to some posters Robert Walls was too (I don't recall him being involved).

And now you attribute all the clubs problems to the board?

So the coach was or wasn't the problem?

I'd say there was an issue with the lack of a suitable football director.

Beyond that, it's all very fuzzy, and you must have some sort of inside information to be able to appropriate the blame so accurately.

Speaking of, blame for what exactly? Is it such a "mess"?

Clubs have a turnover in the coaching dept regularly. It happens.

I think your understanding of the club's situation, the process, and your criticism leaves a lot to be desired.

I don't usually have much time for Jason Akermanis but he does have experience at a club that had to replace a sacked coach when he was with the Brisbane Lions. This is an interesting read and, while the benefit of hindsight is a wonderful thing, Aker describes exactly how the right choice of coach can turn things around at a club - Only the best will do: Jason Akermanis

Let's hope this sub committee gets things right in the same way that the Brisbane people did when they chose Leigh Matthews!

Guest Gareth Keenan

Good pickup WJ.

Actually, Aker would be a bloody good candidate to be on the panel.

When his ego is removed from the equation, he's a very smart football commentator.

Only problems are:

- couldn't be trusted to keep his mouth shut about the process later on (if that really matters - there wouldn't be a lot of secrets to divulge, and you could live with that if it means getting the right coach).

- would be biased in assessing Rodney Eade, even though I think he has been fair in discussing his former coach recently (there are better options out there anyway).

What shouting him a coffee once a fortnight???

I'm interested in hearing suggestions for those who posters would consider a good choice as an "outside consultant" on this panel.

This panel worries me. Has anyone noticed that not one member has ever coached a game of AFL footy. Apart from Lyon who had a brief stint 10 or more years ago there is not one person who has been involved in preparing a team for a game of football.

How will this lot know what questions to ask when they've not got this experience? How will they evaluate applicants football strategies? Don't kid yourselves that being a football commentator gives you the necessary knowledge. The game has changed so much Garry's knowledge is only slightly more relevant than Ron Barassi.

Roos or Neil Craig would have been my choices as outside consultant and if we couldn't land one of them perhaps Matthews.

If we don't get an established coach with a proven track record it will be like having a hat full of names and just picking one.

Oh, and Cameron Schwab is CEO, the coach is a senior appointment to the club reporting, ultimately, to the CEO. Of course he should be on the panel.

I think we should have a representative on the Coaching Sub Committee.

After all, we are clearly all die hard fans. Plus we would really appreciate all the inside info.

I nominate Whispering Jack. Rhino, maybe you should tag along as well, just in case anyone gets out of line.

Hey, what about me. I am an AFL level 2 Coach. As well as junior coaching I am an undefeated coach of the Demonland team. Seriously, there appears to be no one on the Sub Committee with Coaching experience in the AFL. Surely that would have been helpful.

Guest fitness

INTERESTING

Garry Lyon's quote a few weeks/months back, words to the effect of "selecting a coach is not something I'd like to go through again".

Great point this, and something I've been wondering myself. I have no issues with Garry - on the contrary I think he's a fantastic footy brain and obviously a club legend held in the highest esteem, and I'm glad he's back involved - but I struggle to understand what changed for him to suddenly be thrust into this position again, when he clearly stated he did not want to be involved in selecting the next coach.

The only problem I see is that like last time, Garry will most likely be making a (HUGE) decision on behalf of the club, but that he will then presumably next year fall off the radar of involvement, and not have to live with the ramifications (positive or negative) of the decision made. Doesn't sit well with me.

Also agree with the point mentioned above about none of the panel members having had any coaching experience. You'd think this would be fairly critical in assessing candidates. Or perhaps this is where Drake's involvement might come in...

This panel worries me. Has anyone noticed that not one member has ever coached a game of AFL footy.

If we don't get an established coach with a proven track record it will be like having a hat full of names and just picking one.

Absolutely - and we run the risk again of getting someone who dazzles the panel on the day with their presentation. On the other hand, if this lot can snag Mickey, all is forgiven.

I don't see how Matthews' occasional mentoring of Bails would diminish his value on the panel Robbie. The thought of Roos also crossed my mind, but I wasn't keen on the idea of having someone who has recently publicly ridiculed the Club participating in the selection of our next coach.

Also, while I am it. Your comment that the Board should decide is correct. The Board will decide, once the sub-committee makes its recommendation.

It is not common in business for the Board to do the leg work before. 1 or 2 board members is fine. 3 or 4 is excessive.

In effect we only have 2 board members.

Lyon is in a fly by night role at MFC. He is there for the short term and has no accountability after that. He is more a short term crisis consultant in action than a focussed director

Schwab is presently CEO but his currency of tenure is dubious at best. On very shaky ground. From all report he does not have confidence of the Board

Stynes, well its obvious he is far too sick to fulfil his role and should not be there at all. He may not witness the start of next season.

All 3 are more than likely not to have a functional role at MFC next year.

Under the circumstances, McLardy and Jelland are the only functional directors that are likely to have some tenure at MFC beyond 12 months. They should rightly be involved.

You are quite mistaken if you think Board members of companies don't get involved before making critical executive appointments. Given the situation as I have outlined above, McLardy and Jelland's involvement is critical.

And I note you did not comment on my thoughts on Neitz...Hmmm.

This panel worries me. Has anyone noticed that not one member has ever coached a game of AFL footy. Apart from Lyon who had a brief stint 10 or more years ago there is not one person who has been involved in preparing a team for a game of football.

How will this lot know what questions to ask when they've not got this experience? How will they evaluate applicants football strategies? Don't kid yourselves that being a football commentator gives you the necessary knowledge. The game has changed so much Garry's knowledge is only slightly more relevant than Ron Barassi.

Roos or Neil Craig would have been my choices as outside consultant and if we couldn't land one of them perhaps Matthews.

Oh, and Cameron Schwab is CEO, the coach is a senior appointment to the club reporting, ultimately, to the CEO. Of course he should be on the panel.

How will this lot know what questions to ask when they've not got this experience?

Agree with your thoughts here. That is my concern. And this will be highlighted by journalists for a story no end. No doubt Caro will be highlighting the "influential boys club" again in her next article.

However, clearly the board and club -and likely influenced by Schwab and Lyon -think that they can obtain the right coach without independants for the committee. Most likely an experienced coach.

Anyone who thinks the CEO in Schwab shouldn't be on the committee has rocks in their head. He represents the commercial side of things ie. how much to spend on the coach, coaches contract terms, etc. Wasn't Steve Harris on the committee when Bailey was appointed ?

Agree. Neil Craig or Lethal would be a good choice for the independent. And Schwab has to be there regardless of the security of his tenure at MFC.

If youve all but got your sights set on one of a couple of the senior available coaches . What exactly are these mystical questions so many seem to think we'll be incapable of asking.?

Edited by belzebub59

Guest Gareth Keenan

This committee just screams to me - "we are very keen to poach an established coach."

And I am ok with that...

Good call.

Yeah, it certainly doesn't look like we've built a panel to assess the ability of an assistant to step up to the head coaching role.

I'm also ok with that, but I hope it doesn't mean we dismiss Neeld, Sanderson et al out of hand.

This committee just screams to me - "we are very keen to poach an established coach."

And I am ok with that...

My thoughts exactly. For better or worse, this more looks like a rubber stamp committee with a predetermined list of existing coaches that they are targeting.