2012 - Captain & Leadership Group

Disco Demons

Should the club re-elect a new group?  

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With a new coach on the way...i think the entire leadership group plus Captain should be reviewed. Blokes like Tapscott, Trengove, Watts, Grimes are showing they want to lead by example.

Of the current leadership group i give passes to Jones and Rivers...plus passes for grimes and davey due to injury. Beamer has gone missing in big games (the stats don't lie) and Green has struggled with his form.

I would be more than happy to have what's happened at hawthorn happen at MFC...where Mitchell stepped down to make way for Hodge....I think it shows great character of club and players to make this work.

Some choices as to whom people might choose could be good :)

For me I'd remove Green from the leadership group altogether along with Davey.

I'd add Trengove, Watts, McKenzie and (assuming he stays) Scully to the leadership group.

Appoint Grimes & Trengove vice captains.

Appoint Rivers captain under the understanding that it is for a period of two years before he hands it over to either Trengove, Grimes, Watts or Scully.

This allows a few more years for our young stars to develop without the burden of captaincy but still develop their leadership skills. Will also show who wants it more over those 2 years.

Guest Gotzy15

For mine:

Captain- Brent Moloney

Leadership group- Jack Grimes, Jack Trengove, Nathan Jones, Jared Rivers, jordie mckenzie

Get Green & Davey to focus on playing good footy again and re-establishing themselves in the side

Edited by Gotzy15

Brad Green will be the captain of the Melbourne Football Club in 2011. Internally there is no pressure and club officials are happy with the job his doing. Captains are prone to drop's in form just like regular players.

Im surprised Grimes name is being regularly added to the Leadership group.

You need to be reliable. You have to be on-field.

JG doesnt fill this Key selection criteria for mine.

If Jack Trengove decided off his own bat to re-sign days after Bailey was ousted and we were flogged to show support of the club, as has been reported last night, thats off-field leadership.

Edited by Franky_31

Brad Green will be the captain of the Melbourne Football Club in 2011. Internally there is no pressure and club officials are happy with the job his doing. Captains are prone to drop's in form just like regular players.

If brad green wasn't captain he would have been dropped to casey to help regain form. this year green has gone from best set shot kick at the club to average kick at the club.

I would expect a new coach to review all positions within the team...he has to bring changes into the team.

Brad Green has my support and respect as player but as a senior player his form is down.

If Jack Trengove decided off his own bat to re-sign after Bailey was ousted and we were flogged to show support, as has been reported last night, thats off-field leadership.

You may care to re-word. Sounds like a suggestion that WCE should thrash us this coming weekend as some form of support for the removal of our former coach. I'll assume it's not what you meant.

(Although perhaps you meant that we, as supporters, should get the whipping!)

Shared captaincy IMO is crap.

You have one leader. He has his deputies. They all perform a leadership role on and off field but in the end it is one man responsible for leading this club.

And i believe that man should be Moloney for a year or two until Trengove or Grimes are ready to take over.

EDIT: By ready to take over i meant that they had 3 or 4 seasons into their bodies, they reached the age of 22-23 and could then lead the club for another 7-10 years!

Edited by Grandson of a gun

No leadership group. One captain, one vice captain and a deputy. The rest of the team are just that, a team. By having too many captain types, accountability is dispersed. Trenners and watts are looking the goods.

If brad green wasn't captain he would have been dropped to casey to help regain form. this year green has gone from best set shot kick at the club to average kick at the club.

I would expect a new coach to review all positions within the team...he has to bring changes into the team.

Brad Green has my support and respect as player but as a senior player his form is down.

I agree- the pressure of being captain has really affected him. Iwould not be surprised if indeed, we get a coach like Clarkson..that we poach a captain-similar exercise when we tried to get Ball.Wouldn't mind Mitchell as captain at the MFC in 2012..or somebody like him.If indeed we couldn't get an experienced leader-a shared arrangement could be the answer.

Edited by jayceebee31

I agree- the pressure of being captain has really affected him. Iwould not be surprised if indeed, we get a coach like Clarkson..that we poach a captain-similar exercise when we tried to get Ball.Wouldn't mind Mitchell as captain at the MFC in 2012..or somebody like him.If indeed we couldn't get an experienced leader-a shared arrangement could be the answer.

A true captain becomes liberated once appointed. Wayne Carey was appointed captain at 21. I don't see why that can't happen at MFC. Shared captaincy is making the statement that no-one is quite good enough.

Im surprised Grimes name is being regularly added to the Leadership group.

You need to be reliable. You have to be on-field.

JG doesnt fill this Key selection criteria for mine.

If Jack Trengove decided off his own bat to re-sign days after Bailey was ousted and we were flogged to show support of the club, as has been reported last night, thats off-field leadership.

I agree about Jack Grimes. His disposal has been terrible at times; lots of turnovers as a result. Sitting in the stands I've never seen 'leadership' qualities. Might be a different things on the ground and around training, though.

I wouldn't say that Neitz was a natural captain either, but at least he didn't let it drag his form down.

We need to have a captain on field, and a vice captain is required for obvious reasons. But if we do not have six-eight leaders on our list who deserve to be in the leadership group then they shouldn't be. The leadership group theory only works if the group has the leadership qualities to perform their role. If there is a very strong group in place then young leaders can be blooded into the group before their time to fast track their progress. But putting repsonsibility on a group of people who collectively aren't up to it doesn't work. Maybe the authoritarian approach is what is required with such a young group? It isn't the done thing in modern football, but then again, we are the only club I can remember to be completely stripped bare and devoid of leadership and senior players.

Pick a captain, then let the leadership group pick itself over the next 12-24 months by virtute of their actions.

A true captain becomes liberated once appointed. Wayne Carey was appointed captain at 21. I don't see why that can't happen at MFC. Shared captaincy is making the statement that no-one is quite good enough.

I think your pretty close to right.. But maybe Not a true Captain as you've stated, but maybe a Natural Captain would be liberated because it comes naturally to them.

It's obvious that Green isn't a natural and it's also possible that he could grow into it if he just relaxes into it a bit. A bit uptight is young Brad.

Com-on Brad, ease up and just go in hell for leather, like you were starting to do the last 2 years. Throw caution to the wind. And GO for it.

Edited by dee-luded

I can't see him losing it this year, can you ?

I'm not sure I've ever seen a more obvious future captain than Jack Trengove. He seems exceptional in his maturity.

Everything this kid says and does speaks of loyalty, commitment and quiet ambition. On field, he is as hard as nails, and as keen as mustard to get into the middle of any 'altercations' that occur. He RUNS to them, but keeps his head.

Any kid with this level of self possession, not forgetting his footballing talent, should be given the captaincy soon. I'm not saying next year necessarily, but if we want to build an on-field attitude that has some consistency and endurance, he would be just the person to forge this dynasty.

Jack Trengove will be the next 'great' AFL captain, and it will be of the Melbourne Football Club.