Who ever is in the lead tonight will win the tour. It is virtually impossible to gain time on the last stage into Paris. No rider can escape the peliton, every team wants to win the final day sprint.

There are no time bonuses for the stage winner.

Cheers, thanks for explaining

Go Cadel!

Well, it's truly set up for a great finish.

Cadel will go third from the last, so Andy will have a few minutes to see what Cadel is doing.

My understanding is that 42.5 is a relatively short tour.

2 years ago, Andy lost abotu 1 minute 40 to Contador on the individual time trial, last year he only lost 30 seconds. Two years ago, Andy only lost 30 seconds to Cadel on the time trial.

Obviously there are many other factors to consider there, but this isn't the fait accompli that some people are making it out to be. Cadel is favourite, but you'd be mad to write off the gutsy younger Schleck brother. The yellow jersey allows you to do crazy things.

On a side note I almost vomited when the Australian commentator said that the yellow may be a burden to Schleck and may hinder his performance. What rubbish, just because it's the Australian in second commentators lose their brain. All tour they rattle on about how the yellow jersey makes people fly and dig deeper, unprofessional in my view.

Not that it's a big gripe, and obviously I'm biased, but the people saying how brave Cadel was to hold on against Schleck two nights ago without a whisper of Schleck's 60km solo breakaway effort are just being ridiculous.

Evans rode this stage a minute ago and will go close.

Schleck by 5 seconds after tonight.

Don't tell me THAT.

I seem to recall that Schleck isn't great at time trials? Thought Cadel could take a minute out of Contador if need be, and more out of Schleck (1min30). That said, after 2008 I don't trust anything.

If he says that he just didn't feel good again after failing, he officially goes down as the biggest choker I have ever seen in sport.

Well, it's truly set up for a great finish.

Cadel will go third from the last, so Andy will have a few minutes to see what Cadel is doing.

My understanding is that 42.5 is a relatively short tour.

2 years ago, Andy lost abotu 1 minute 40 to Contador on the individual time trial, last year he only lost 30 seconds. Two years ago, Andy only lost 30 seconds to Cadel on the time trial.

Obviously there are many other factors to consider there, but this isn't the fait accompli that some people are making it out to be. Cadel is favourite, but you'd be mad to write off the gutsy younger Schleck brother. The yellow jersey allows you to do crazy things.

On a side note I almost vomited when the Australian commentator said that the yellow may be a burden to Schleck and may hinder his performance. What rubbish, just because it's the Australian in second commentators lose their brain. All tour they rattle on about how the yellow jersey makes people fly and dig deeper, unprofessional in my view.

Not that it's a big gripe, and obviously I'm biased, but the people saying how brave Cadel was to hold on against Schleck two nights ago without a whisper of Schleck's 60km solo breakaway effort are just being ridiculous.

Evans rode this stage a minute ago and will go close.

Good post. Agree about Schleck's move a couple of nights ago. A massive move in the history of the Tour. And if Andy wins it will be legendary.

There's a couple of small hills in this trial, so it will be interesting.

Don't tell me THAT.

I seem to recall that Schleck isn't great at time trials? Thought Cadel could take a minute out of Contador if need be, and more out of Schleck (1min30). That said, after 2008 I don't trust anything.

If he says that he just didn't feel good again after failing, he officially goes down as the biggest choker I have ever seen in sport.

He's not trying to hole a metre putt for a squillion.

This is a gruelling event. 21 stages. A time trial where he trails by 57 seconds. It will be massive if he conquers this challenge.

And I would go as far to say that if he were to get ahead, and go on and win, it would be as big as the Australia II triumph.

edit: Just heard wih 20km to go in the trial, Evans is within 35 seconds of the jersey. 45HG - you could be awfully close with that prediction.

Go you good thing ! Apparently ahead of Andy Schleck by almost half a minute ! (according to computer)

This is massive ! MASSIVE and EXTRAORDINARY.

Amazing wasn't it? Just a machine. Clearly a lot of emotion on his face now!

Yeeooww! Sensational ! You little rippa !

Just a phenomenal effort. Smashed the Schleck bros. Now 1 minute 34 ahead of second. Andy Schleck struggled and blew up. He's got the yellow jersey now and will parade in Paris tomorrow night !

Awesome for Australia...and cycling !

National holiday?

Grew up watching this thing. Watching Pantani and his drugs, watching O'Grady in yellow, Lance and the 7, Contador climb and climb. I was shattered in 2008. Now I've watched him win. Congratulations Cadel Evans - winner of the 2011 Tour de France (touch wood)

National holiday?

Grew up watching this thing. Watching Pantani and his drugs, watching O'Grady in yellow, Lance and the 7, Contador climb and climb. I was shattered in 2008. Now I've watched him win. Congratulations Cadel Evans - winner of the 2011 Tour de France (touch wood)

Good on Cadel. Great couple of rides.

Some things are worth more than money...

Congratulations Cadel!, Congratulation Australia! WooHoo!

Fantastic, its my 20th night going to 2am and its been sesational. How inspiational, its all about belief and work ethic! Now to get the trifecta, Jason Day to win the Masters and the Dees to win a Flag!

I will watch him ride in to Paris tomorrow and wave a flag on behalf of all those that care. Well done Cadel it's about bloody time.

The greatest single sporting feat by an Australian.

He is a true inspiration.

Cadel you are a monster. In the face of adversity you stared back and said a giant fcuk you!

What an athlete....

MFC- Learn from this.....

Any moderator who moves this thread today is a bum.

I tweeted:

Dees' Selectors could have had week's big headline. In Evans. Out Scully.

Go you good thing!!!

What a wonderful day for Cadel and Australian cycling, but now I'm going to have trade in my Trek for a BMC bike!!!!

Wooohoooo!!!!

Go you good thing!!!

What a wonderful day for Cadel and Australian cycling, but now I'm going to have trade in my Trek for a BMC bike!!!!

Wooohoooo!!!!

Bloody oath. The other years he was in contention he was nowhere near as strong as he was this year. He was the strongest this year and put in some massive efforts, especially in the alps when it looked like it might have been slipping away.

Guest 36DD

Massive, massive achievement, a truly remarkable man, to come up just short on two occasions, suffer incredible bad luck and to pick yourself up and to go again, what a brilliant effort. An Aussie on top in a European domain, he has very few friends in the peleton, no alliances with countrymen, he had done it all on his own. His rides in stages 18 and 19 were as good as it gets. What a tour.

Wonder how many times he's been defrauded by drug cheats?

Nice guys don't always finish last. I hope he doesn't crash tonight.

What a legend. I'm not a massive fan of cycling, but you have to appreciate the massive achievement that this is. Such a deserved winner, and I suspect that all of Australia is feeling very proud of him today.

Good on yer Cadel, great ride, Last couple of days fantastic rides

Very little help, being sweated on and used by that bludger Frank S.

Strength of Character and Personal belief.

Take em on Dees. Give 'em HELL !!

now I can get some better sleep for 12 months