• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHARACTER THE KEY?

Demonland

CHARACTER THE KEY? by JVM

It has been said by some that the key to the Richmond v Melbourne game is "character". Both sides enter Round 14 on an even keel with 5½ wins each but the Demons have been more than somewhat erratic in their performances to date, going up and down like a yo-yo, enjoying the extreme highs of 15 goal wins interspersed with some disappointing thrashings. 

The Tigers have also had ups and downs recently losing to Port Adelaide after beating Essendon in the Dreamtime game. They've also had to travel extensively in a time frame when team movement was in part affected by the volcanic ash phenomenon. The game against the Power was played in Darwin (a sold in "home" game), followed by a bye and further away games at the SCG in round 12 (with a bus trip home) and another brief sojourn north to Brisbane. 

This week is a little different in that they do  play at home. However,  the venue is also home for their opposition. 

Despite indifferent form from both teams,  the possibility exists that the spoils of victory will be embellished by an eighth placing on the AFL ladder (or even better if both Essendon and Fremantle lose). 

It's games like these in which the pressure valve points higher, that the true character of a team is exposed. 

Which team has the greatest drive, the most hunger, the skills and ability to win such an important game?

There's a log jam of clubs queueing up to break into the top eight on the back of two stumbling finals aspirants Essendon and Fremantle. This week's combatants have been starved of finals appearances of late so the incentive is there for both of them.

In Melbourne's case, there's a particular point to prove. On more than one occasion earlier in the season, the Demons were in a position to claim a place in the upper echelon only for the opportunity to slip away. They have had consecutive wins only once this year and that was against Brisbane and Gold Coast in rounds three and four.  

Since then, the closest they came to producing back to back victories was against North Melbourne when they held a five goal lead in the first term only to concede the lead early in the third quarter, finishing 41 points in arrears. Not much fighting spirit or character there.

Speaking on the television programme Footy Classified this week, former Demon skipper Garry Lyon made it clear that he believed his old club could not beat Richmond this weekend saying, "There's nothing I've seen this year that would give me confidence to pick them after they've had a good win."

But when asked who would win if both teams produced their best at the weekend, his response was,  "Melbourne".

If nothing else such a comment places a question mark over a team's character and presents a challenge to every player in the team.

The two clubs square off in a game where the winner has an opportunity to take on  the rest of the season with an eye to the excitement of  a finals berth while the loser faces severe question marks not only in terms of their development but also their character.

The Demons have a lot to prove on Saturday.

THE GAME Richmond v Melbourne at MCG - Saturday 25 June 2011 at 2.10pm

HEAD TO HEAD

Overall Richmond 99 wins Melbourne 78 wins 2 draws

At the MCG Richmond 65 wins Melbourne 59 wins 1 draw

Since 2000 Richmond 10 wins Melbourne 8 wins

The Coaches Hardwick 0 wins Bailey 2 wins

MEDIA

TV 2.00pm Fox Sports LIVE

Radio 3AW TripleM

THE BETTING  Richmond to win $1.90 Melbourne to win $1.90

LAST TIME THEY MET  Melbourne 16.13.109 defeated Richmond 11.14.80 in Round 19, 2010 at the MCG

Melbourne shook off a persistent Richmond but it took until well into the final  quarter before victory was assured. Lynden Dunn booted five goals and kept Delidio at bay. One of his goals was a long bomb right on the three quarter time siren which gave the Demons a  seven point lead and some breathing space. Three quick goals immediately after the break settled the issue. Liam Jurrah booted four goals while James Frawley kept Riewodlt down to a single goal.

THE TEAMS

RICHMOND

Backs Chris Newman Alex Rance Bachar Houli

Half backs Brett Deledio Luke McGuane Shaun Grigg

Centreline Trent Cotchin Dustin Martin Reece Conca

Half forwards Robin Nahas Tyrone Vickery Shane Edwards

Forwards Mitchell Farmer Jack Riewoldt Brad Miller

Followers Andrew Browne Daniel Jackson Nathan Foley

Interchange Jake Batchelor David Gourdis Tom Hislop Jeromey Webberley 

Emergencies Bradley Helbig Jayden Post Shane Tuck

In Jake Batchelor David Gourdis

Out Jake King (suspended) Jayden Post

MELBOURNE

Backs James Strauss James Frawley Daniel Nicholson 

Half backs Colin Garland Jared Rivers Jack Trengove 

Centreline Tom Scully Colin Sylvia Jeremy Howe 

Half forwards Nathan Jones Jack Watts Ricky Petterd 

Forwards  Jamie Bennell Mark Jamar Brad Green 

Followers Stef Martin Brent Moloney Jordie McKenzie 

Interchange Jordan Gysberts Liam Jurrah Joel Macdonald Cale Morton

Emergencies Matthew Bate Sam Blease Max Gawn

In Jordan Gysberts Mark Jamar

Out Clint Bartram Max Gawn 

THE KEY

While the character of the team will play its part, other pundits are saying that the key to this game is which Melbourne team will  run out onto the MCG this week? Will it be the one that capitulated without so much as a whimper against Collingwood on Queens Birthday or that which stomped all over Fremantle last Sunday?

Perhaps, it all boils down to the same thing i.e the attitude of the team and its character. But there's also another aspect to the equation: the nature of the opposition. 

A rampant Collingwood is a far cry from a broken Fremantle side without stars such as Sandilands and Mundy and a bevy of other useful footsoldiers. 

Richmond has received much attention and praise this week over its win against Brisbane following losses to Port Adelaide and Sydney. Perhaps the circumstances and the difficulties presented by altered schedules is what's impressed the commentators but I would have thought that, these days, a win over the Lions - even at the Gabba - was just small beer. After all, the Suns have managed it so what makes it such a big deal?

I suppose that they're hanging their hats on the midfield displays of Dustin Martin, Trent Cotchin, Nathan Foley, Brett Deledio and Daniel Jackson, especially the godlike presence of Martin who is being compared to superstars of the past in Leigh Matthews and the late Darren Millane. That might be the case but they were up against a midfield last week that barely raised a whimper. While the Melbourne midfield is nowhere near up there with the best as yet, the injection in recent weeks of Tom Scully and Jordie McKenzie and the return from suspension of Jack Trengove has added a new dimension to its on ball brigade which promises to be enhanced by a superior ruck line up especially with the imminent return of Mark Jamar.

Indeed, this game promises to be a battle of early draft picks with Martin, Deledio and Cotchin lining up against Scully, Trengove, Jack Watts and Cale Morton. There's a fair amount of rivalry building between the top three selections of the 2009 AFL Draft but I think its fair to say that it's too early a call to make although bragging rights at the moment are held by Martin whose season has not been as interrupted as those of Scully and Trengove. On the other hand, Watts is now making a run for the honours from the 2008 version now that he has grown into and become comfortable with a stronger body. He still has a way to go but the signs of recent weeks are that he is getting there.

Going back another year in draft history and the respective clubs' first choices were Cotchin and Morton with the former well ahead but the latter showing signs that with more confidence in his game, he can become an asset with his height, his big  tank and his ability to get to the ball. 

However, one of the most intriguing contests might well prove to be that between the first picks from 2006. Jack Riewoldt and James Frawley are both products of noted football families and have come into their own over the past eighteen months, the former as a key forward, the latter as a key defender. Frawley won the contest when they last met and I daresay that if he repeats the dose, then the four points and possible top eight position will go the way of the Demons.

The bookies have the game evenly poised and on a knife's edge. I think Melbourne's ruck superiority swings the pendulum slightly in its favour.

Melbourne by 10 points.

It is a super important game and is really a must win to show we can beat other Victorian teams, particularly those in good form. However, Melbourne's erratic form concerns me and it makes it hard to predict which of Jekyll and Hyde will be on show.

I really can't pick it, though I do think it will be close. Either team under 20 points for mine.

Edited by Samsara

Richmond has received much attention and praise this week over its win against Brisbane following losses to Port Adelaide and Sydney. Perhaps the circumstances and the difficulties presented by altered schedules is what's impressed the commentators but I would have thought that, these days, a win over the Lions - even at the Gabba - was just small beer. After all, the Suns have managed it so what makes it such a big deal?

This is a fair point, seems to have been lost a bit. Richmond lost a few games ago to Port Adelaide, yet beating Brisbane, the next worst side in the competition, rates as an impressive performance.

Truly, their only win of merit is their victory over Essendon, when Essendon were, at that stage, going well.

Having said that, you could say the same thing about us. But the point about Richmond remains valid: they haven't beaten anyone of merit.

But the point about Richmond remains valid: they haven't beaten anyone of merit.

Nor have we really.

They have beaten Fremantle (with Mundy & Sandilands) and North at Etihad. They also went close to Sydney in Sydney.

Nor have we really.

They have beaten Fremantle (with Mundy & Sandilands) and North at Etihad. They also went close to Sydney in Sydney.

I said that.

All I'm saying is there's no reason to look at Richmond and think: 'they're a better team'. If they were, they would have beaten teams of merit.

Sure, Fremantle had Mundy and Sandilands, but it was still at the G, where they stink. They went 'close' to Sydney, but didn't really threaten.

CHARACTER THE KEY? by JVM

Speaking on the television programme Footy Classified this week, former Demon skipper Garry Lyon made it clear that he believed his old club could not beat Richmond this weekend saying, "There's nothing I've seen this year that would give me confidence to pick them after they've had a good win."

But when asked who would win if both teams produced their best at the weekend, his response was,  "Melbourne".

If nothing else such a comment places a question mark over a team's character and presents a challenge to every player in the team.

Rightly so. We beat the Suns by 90 points and in our next game against West Coast we stank.

We beat Adelaide by 96 points and we followed it up with a rancid effort after half time against North (admittedly we were hobbled by injury).

We beat Essendon by 33 points and come up against Collingwood minus Jolly, Swan, Thomas and a few bit players and we put in another shocker.

Garry was right in questioning their ability to come up twice in a row.

We celebrated when we beat the Bombers. After the Dockers we were much more muted. 

The measure of out character is to come up next week, then the week after, then ...

Time to kick arse.

I said that.

All I'm saying is there's no reason to look at Richmond and think: 'they're a better team'. If they were, they would have beaten teams of merit.

Sure, Fremantle had Mundy and Sandilands, but it was still at the G, where they stink. They went 'close' to Sydney, but didn't really threaten.

Isn't North at Etihad a team of merit ?

Otherwise your "merit" is based soley on only the top 5 teams.

Btw, they did threaten in the last quarter in Sydney.

THE TEAM ...

MELBOURNE

Backs James Strauss James Frawley Daniel Nicholson

Half backs Colin Garland Jared Rivers Jack Trengove

Centreline Tom Scully Colin Sylvia Jeremy Howe

Half forwards Nathan Jones Jack Watts Ricky Petterd

Forwards Jamie Bennell Mark Jamar Brad Green

Followers Stef Martin Brent Moloney Jordie McKenzie

Interchange Jordan Gysberts Liam Jurrah Joel Macdonald Cale Morton

Emergencies Matthew Bate Sam Blease Max Gawn

That's a pretty good team. If Jamar does play, I would confidently pick Melbourne by around 40 points.

I'm surprised the Footy Dept. had the guts to drop Bartram. Despite his poor disposal, I though he had a few more credits with the coaches than that.

I'm surprised the Footy Dept. had the guts to drop Bartram. Despite his poor disposal, I though he had a few more credits with the coaches than that.

Well, I don't doubt the FD has the "guts" to do whatever they think is best, but I share your surprise on Bartram. A bit of a statement being made there, especially as he's not really being replaced by another back - presumably it's Nicholson for Bartram.

Perhaps also with King's suspension, that's one less potential match-up for Bartram.

Good to see Garland pulled up OK, and great to have Jamar back (of course!). Something resembling a decent team again, albeit with a few of the newies holding their places (Howe, Strauss, Nicholson etc.)

Jurrah on the bench....wonder if he will be the sub???

Could be a way to focus him...just a thought.

I'm tipping Morton.

Bad luck for Gawn who has performed really well.

Don't worry. He will get plenty more chances going forward and showing some great sides. I am v happy with the rush and gys back. Gawn unlucky but can't afford the three big fellas (haven't things changed since jamar first got injured and we wondered who the hell would ruck for us!!) And bartram disposal is just horrible and I prefer Bennell to play lockdown role on richmond small forwards cause of superuor disposal.

Good side this week - dees by five goals for mine...

Well, I don't doubt the FD has the "guts" to do whatever they think is best, but I share your surprise on Bartram. A bit of a statement being made there, especially as he's not really being replaced by another back - presumably it's Nicholson for Bartram.

I agree. Did not see that coming purely because I didn't think we had the guts and not because it isn't right.

Pretty surprised Strauss has held his spot and Blease hasn't been given a go yet. Thought they got that one the wrong way around as Blease form was better in the VFL. I understand they are different players and Strauss is probably less likely to get pushed out of contests. Credit when credit is due well done Strauss.

Ballsy, was never really a fan of Bartram, but his hardness in a butter team won me over the last year or so. It was only going to be a matter of time before one of his stupid kicks in the backline cost us a game though, so I'll be relaxed knowing Richmond won't be able to just leave Bartram free to turn it over.

I'd like the footy dpt to show Strauss and Morton a video of how Bartram tackles and runs in straight lines though.

Gysberts + Jamar = more clearance power. Midfield wins it. We only have to break even in the middle to win, their defence concedes far too many shots on goal.

Big call on Bartram but probably the right one - if the Push Up was playing he would have, but there's only one real small forward threat in Nahas, and Bennell is better suited to him.

Great to see Blease as emergency, he's gotta be knocking on the door.

I dont see anyone from the interchange list being a suitable sub. Morton needs to string some good games together and I thought last week he looked as if he is starting to do just that..

Joel Mac - no point as a sub.

Gysberts - unlikey to use a clearance player in that role

Jurrah - needs to find form, either full game in seniors, or at Casey.

I wouldn't be surprised if Garland was a late withdrawal for Blease and he was made sub..

Good team though. C'mon you magnificent Demons! Tear 'em apart!!

Big call on Bartram but probably the right one - if the Push Up was playing he would have, but there's only one real small forward threat in Nahas, and Bennell is better suited to him.

Great to see Blease as emergency, he's gotta be knocking on the door.

Agree.

I think Bennell should be the Sub or Nicholson. Can't have important players like Jurrah being the Sub. He can turn it on and being our leading goal kicker by early ten goals must give him some credit. Can see Jamar playing more as a forward and Stef doing most of the ruck for this game.