• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Match ups for Vickery, Martin, Riewoldt

Dee Landing

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I could mention Cotchin as well..but the big three dangers for us are Vickery, Martin and Riewoldt.

Bring Warnock in for Riewoldt, Garland if fit should take Vickery, and Mckenzie on Martin.

Think Rivers should take Vickery, Trengove head to head with Martin and Frawley for Riewoldt. Riewoldt would eat Warnock alive - he could be an option for Vickery but if Garland is fit there is no way he should be in the side.

As well as that, if we end up playing all 3 of Gawn, Martin and Jamar (and Warnock) we will be way too tall and potentially without enough foot speed to combat Richmonds pace.

Chippa on Jack

Rivers on Vickery

Garland on Miller

McKenzie on Martin

Nahas is the danger man in my opinion, anyone with that extra toe - Dan Nicholson would work in a straight line, but i think Nahas would turn him inside out more often than not...

I could mention Cotchin as well..but the big three dangers for us are Vickery, Martin and Riewoldt.

Bring Warnock in for Riewoldt, Garland if fit should take Vickery, and Mckenzie on Martin.

Disagree.

Reiwoldt gets Frawley (Will match him body on body and can exploit him on the rebound)

Garland gets Vickery

McKenzie on Cotchin

Martin v Beamer in the middle and if he goes forward then someone like Jones can take him (would love to have seen Bull Tapscott take him however...)

Morton to take Deledio and wear him like a glove. That shuts down most of their play makers then and i will back the rest of our team to destroy them...

My match-ups:

Vickery = Garland

Riewoldt = Frawley

Martin = Trengove/McKenzie - leaning towards McKenzie, otherwise it's Trengove when Deledio goes forward.

Cotchin = Scully

Miller = Rivers

Foley = Jones

Jackson = Moloney

Deledio's run off half back is a concern.

I can't see Moloney on Martin for long periods. Someone will need to go forward on him. Strauss ? If we had Tapscott, he'd be a good match-up here.

Nahas pace is a concern.

Nahas = Bennell. If you're willing to watch QBD or more likely watch Essendon again, watch Bennell on the small, speedy type - against the Pies it was Krakouer (only scored 2 goals, one of which was junk-time, and all his possies were when he moved to the midfield while Bennell stayed back) and Essendon it was Leroy Jetta. He does very well shutting down that small playmaker type.

As for the others...

Riewoldt = Chip

Vickery = Rivers

Miller = Garland

Martin = McKenzie (when mid), Trengove (when forward)

Cotchin = Has to be Scully, but wouldn't be a hard tag like Martin

Deledio = Petterd as def fwd, otherwise Dunn comes in (about the only game where he genuinely has a role IMHO)

Pity Bail is still out, he'd destroy Cotchin

Edited by Striker475

Vickery is 200cm. ANd their Ruck Browne is 203cm. Problem for Garland and Rivers. Max and Martin have to wax.

The Russian to our fwd line where Rance (194) would take him. This leaves Watts 196 as a problem for them

Beemer on Martin - teach him a lesson

Jordy on Cotchin - will shut him down

Chip to Reiwoldt - no brainer

Deledio was creamed last year by Dunn (who also kicked 5 goals!) - I'd punt Nicholson - has the speed height maybe a worry (188 v 183) or maybe Morton at 192 (eerggh shudder) - Is Joel Mac fast enough??

Vickery <- Rivers/Martin

Riewoldt <- Frawley

Miller <- Garland/McDonald

Nahas <- Bartram

I'd wan't someone from the mids to drop back into the hole.

Bennell to sweep the defence.

King <- Nicholson

Martin <- Jones

Cotchin = Scully h2h

Foley = McKenzie h2h

Jackson = Moloney h2h

Deledio < Dunn/Trengove

Edited my hyroglyphs

Edited by dee-luded

Guest Thomo

I can't understand all the Rivers to Vickery posts. Rivers will get killed.

Actually I can't understand ever naming Rivers on a direct opponent. He has proven that he is not tall enough to play on the talls, not fast enough to play on leading players, gets killed body on body, and can't run with a mobile player.

Basically Rivers is only a good defender when he doesn’t have any one to defend, but who wouldn’t be? Every other player in the league that plays the easy third man up role gets a player tagging him, but not Rivers, as he offer so little threat of hurting them on the rebound, and his disposal is so poor the opposition know that if they let him kick the ball it will do more harm than good.

I honestly do not understand how he gets a game. He can't defend, and he offers no attack. Plays the easiest position in the game and still struggles. Every week that Warnock plays he takes either the best or second best forward, and overall breaks about even. Rivers hardly ever plays on a dangerous forward, and when he does he gets smashed. I bet Warnock would love to have a few games running around without an opponent like Rivers, instead he gets dropped for struggling on the best in the game.

Riewodlt and Frawley

Cotchin is their best mid. Mckenzie must play on him.

Houli is playing well. Need to make him accountable. Maybe Jones.

Newman. Morton.

Vickery. Garland.

MArtin - Moloney h2h

Foley. Scully h2h

The first five minutes or so should be fascinating footy. There'll be players from each side running all over the shop trying to shake tags, get the match-ups right while both runners are sprinting around barking instructions from half back to half forward. Great stuff. One of the matches of the season.

There are a couple of keys to this game.

Cotchin he is the best midfielder for the toigs he must be stopped therefore Mckenzie gets first crack.

Deledio he has been in form and a rebound genius he isn't a Physical player so expect Macdonald or

Morton to play on him especially as he pushes through the midfield.

Vicery while forward gets Garland.

Riewoldt gets Frawley

Martin gets Trengove

Vickery = Garland

Riewoldt = Frawley

Martin = McKenzie

Cotchin = Scully

Miller = Rivers

Foley = Jones

Jackson = Moloney

Deledio = Trengove

Nahas = Bartram

Agree with all those Rhino...Nahas & Bartram could be a very important one.

Clint has his faults, but i still think he is under rated on this forum.

Really looking forward to this game..

Vickery < Rivers/Martin

Riewoldt < Frawley

Miller < Garland/McDonald

Nahas < Bartram

I'd wan't someone from the mids to drop back into the hole.

Bennell to sweep the defence.

King < Nicholson

Martin < Jones

Cotchin = Scully

Foley = McKenzie

Jackson = Moloney

Deledio < Dun/Trengove

Deeluded while I respect your passion for the Dees I think some of those are a little blinded.

Martin < Jones you have to be kidding. Martin may well be one of the most impressive young players in the comp. He is heading down the Judd, Hodge path. I love Trengove and Scully and they may turn into better players but at the moment IMO he's got them both covered. As for Jones, he's not even close.

King is also a better player than Nicholson (who has played less than 5 games) but I don't believe is playing, didn't he get a week suspension.

Cotchin and Scully equal.. maybe, but I think Cotchin is a more solid bet.

On the other hand I think you've sold Moloney and McKenzie short. I think they've got Foley and Jackson covered.

I think our backline will match up well with their forward line and I think that will be even.

I think the midfield battle will also be relatively even.

I think our forward line has the Tiger backline covered provided we get the supply. I can´t see them matching up sufficiently on Watts, Jurrah, Green, Sylvia and Howe and a resting ruckman.

Martin is the crucial match-up IMO.

Trengove head to head all day, trying to push forward to make him accountable going the other way, Jordie Mac for a complete shut down or Sylvia could be another option.

Should be a great game. IF the 'UP' Melbourne turns up for 4 quarters, we should get home.

Edited by hells bells

I can't understand all the Rivers to Vickery posts. Rivers will get killed.

Actually I can't understand ever naming Rivers on a direct opponent. He has proven that he is not tall enough to play on the talls, not fast enough to play on leading players, gets killed body on body, and can't run with a mobile player.

Basically Rivers is only a good defender when he doesn't have any one to defend, but who wouldn't be? Every other player in the league that plays the easy third man up role gets a player tagging him, but not Rivers, as he offer so little threat of hurting them on the rebound, and his disposal is so poor the opposition know that if they let him kick the ball it will do more harm than good.

I honestly do not understand how he gets a game. He can't defend, and he offers no attack. Plays the easiest position in the game and still struggles. Every week that Warnock plays he takes either the best or second best forward, and overall breaks about even. Rivers hardly ever plays on a dangerous forward, and when he does he gets smashed. I bet Warnock would love to have a few games running around without an opponent like Rivers, instead he gets dropped for struggling on the best in the game.

I thought he played all right against Essendon -maybe his best ever .But agree that a loose man down back is easy pickings for anyone .I dont like Grimes or Davey in that role either .

We can't go into this game thinking of how to match up on 6 - 8 players. The mindset here is "their best 22 is beter than ours so let's negate as many of them as we can". We need to shut down their 2 or 3 most influential players, and then trust that when the ball is in our hand, we can keep possession and score once for every 3 times we go inside 50m.

For mine, their three most influential are:

Martin. Not only a really good midfielder but a reliable goal kicker.

Reiwoldt. They don't rely on him as much as they used to, but he is a match-winner.

Deledio. He is the Tiges offial "run out defence player" like Shaw of Collingwood and Yarran of Carlton.

So,

Martin : Jordie. Jordie will match his strength and annoy him to death. His famous fend off will not work.

Reiwoldt : Frawley. Strength to match in the air and can run off him often and easily. Chip will show up Reiwoldts lack of defensive effort.

Deledio : Bennell or Nicholson. Whichever of these two can concentrate for long periods. Bennell has shown good discipline in this role.

As far as Nahas and Vickery go, our basic back six can handle them. Rivers as third man up does not make him weak or incapable. It is a specific role in a modern backline and this is our main weapon against vickery.

Cotchin is a great footballer, but like Mitchell of Hawthorn gets a lot of ball in areas of the ground where it doesn't hurt the opposition a lot.

On the other side, with Watts in the form he is in I can't see the Tiges having anyone of suitable heigth AND aerobic capacity. If he has the confidence to kick more than handball, he will be a real headache. Our forward line lines up very well on them and I especially think Howe will suprise them.

Vickery = Garland

Riewoldt = Frawley

Martin = McKenzie

Cotchin = Scully

Miller = Rivers

Foley = Jones

Jackson = Moloney

Deledio = Trengove

Nahas = Bartram

Agree mostly!

Garland I dont think will play so Warnock on Vickery.

Dunn in to take Deledio. Same as last year.

OUT - Garland, Strauss, Morton

IN - Jamar, Dunn, Warnock

Trengove, Petterd, Sylvia all need to be running forward to goal when we have the ball. Need these guys to take the game on and attack with running and long kicking. Jamar to sit in the forward 25 all night with jurrah by his feet.

Edited by jungle dee

Garland is too short for Vickery. Giving away 8cm. Won't happen.

That would mean we would have to bring in Warnock or play Martin in defense.

I would still give Garland first crack, Vickery is starting to play some good footy. He is tall and quick and doesn't mind a contest. Basically, at this stage of his career he is everything we hope Fitzpatrick can be.He had an awesome game last week against the lions. But lets look at the Brisbane defense. Merrett was out. That leaves no one of on any decency for Brisbane's tall defense. Also lost Clark at about the half way mark. So tall stocks were down.

The tigers midfield will have to get the ball in super quick for Vickery to get enough of a lead to beat Garland.

Martin would be able to go to Vickery if the delivery to him is quick enough. Lets not forget that Martins first game he was brought in to compete with an inform J.Brown. Probably had the better of him that day too.

I'm warming to this idea of playing 3 rucks. Jamar and Martin could rotate between ruck and full forward and Gawn can back up ruck. Also allows us the freedom of playing Martin permanently in defense on Vickery if needed.

Richmonds flankers are in good shape with Delidio, Newman and Houli all playing well. But there tall defenders are all complete rubbish. Rance was seen at the airport icing his knee, so he is in doubt. If we play Jamar forward they may be force to bring in Post. Would be a massive win for us.

There forward line of J.Riewoldt, Vickery and Miller doesn't really send chills down my spine. As long as Chip is on his game he will have the better of Riewoldt. Who else plays forward? The push up King? probably out for a week suspension which is good for us. I admire King for getting the most out of himself in recent times.

Midfield will decide the out come though. There mids look better on paper. If they get on top in the midfield I fear we may [censored] ourselves and give up like the many other times we have this year.

Richmond have had some really slow starts this year. If we can get on top early and get our confidence up then we may well smash them. If we are about even at quarter time we will have a struggle on our hands. And we don't usually go to well with tight games recently.

I'm really excited about this match. With our side this year we could smash them or we could get completely blown away!

Edited by UTAH

This is the most anticipation I've had for a game in years...

I love that in the midfield you have 4 guns (two each) that are unlikely to be matched up on one another... and better yet, if they ARE matched up on one another, wait for the fireworks as they're all one-way players for the most part who are accustomed to being tagged, not doing the tagging.

Big matchups absolutely EVERYWHERE:

Trengove/Scully vs Jackson/Foley + Martin/Cotchin vs Jones/McKenzie - This one is huge. If I was coach I'd send Jones to Cotchin and McKenzie to Martin and say run with them everywhere even into their team meeting at half time, to the bathroom if they need a waz... What I think may happen though is that our big two and their big two will go to the guts at some point in the third quarter when the game's up for grabs... if that happens... open your eyes, sit back and watch the future of what will be the most dynamic two midfields in the league.

Jamar/Martin/Gawn? vs Graham/Browne/Vickery - Not sure which 4 of the six will be selected, but I think regardless we win this, especially with Beamer in the guts. The interesting part will be when Vickery goes forward do we let Martin go forward too, or follow him into defence? If we can get on top, it might just be the matchup that defines the outcome.

Riewoldt vs Frawley - All day. Frawley to win.

Garland vs Miller - Garland to rebound all day. If he doesn't get up have Warnock and McDonald rotate. Again, we win this one.

Watts vs Rance - This will be awesome. Pretty even matchup, but if Watts runs far and wide, he'll carve him up.

Jurrah, Green vs Ummmm...? - Who knows. Whoever it is, look out. :D

And here's the big one...

Newman, Houli, Deledio vs Bennell, Nicholson, Morton, Petterd, Sylvia. This one I think is a win for them every time. They're some pretty impressive names rebounding, particularly Deledio and Newman. Look out for Deledio to go to Watts potentially if he gets up and about onto a wing... They'll likely win a lot of the ball.

The X-factors: Nahas, Houli vs Sylvia, Howe. Who's on who's not on? No predicting this.

All in all, I reckon there's nothing that can split them. Besides maybe Bailey vs Hardwick, where they have the edge.

I think we have a few more names in the bottom 6 of our 22 that will cause problems. Guys like Howe, Nicholson... I also didn't give much mention to Jones and Moloney above who have had really great years so far this year. Those second and third tier players I think will tell the tale. Also, I don't think Vickery will get away for four goals again, nor will Riewoldt kick a bag on Frawley. So that means we have to hold Martin up somehow. Easier said than done of course...

This is gonna be a cracker. It may be the most excited I have ever been for a football game, somehow...

Midfield will decide the out come though. There mids look better on paper. If they get on top in the midfield I fear we may [censored] ourselves and give up like the many other times we have this year.

HUGE call.

Our midfield has Moloney, who's near the top in many media awards... Jamar and Martin, an AA and an up and comer in good form, Scully and Trengove who will add spark, Sylvia who's our best footballer and Jones who's gone up a level this year. And then McKenzie and Gysberts/Nicholson.

Granted they have two terrifying players in Martin and Cotchin... Both of whom I think would be the first two picked of MOST fans of opposition teams of the 44 playing this weekend. But after that we have it over them. Midfield depth is where we have it here.