• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Scathing Criticism????

Flemo56

Just heard Pickering on afl teams call us front runners and apologist...........maybe he's right. Said we gotta have a good hard look at ourselves. Other team's as young having a go EACH week.

Shaw said DO don't say.

Mclure on 360 said, system ova talent (not a criticism of us directly). we were one of the bottom 4 clubs.

Not great hearing these comments, but sometimes the truth really hurts, unfortunately these shows are repeated again, you can look and listen if you want.

I stand to b corrected,but i'm pretty close to the mark on what was said on these shows, memory a bit soggy from ocean.

Saw it tonight, agreed with it all. That said I know we are moving in the right drection, our ceiling is a lot higher than those around us. Things will fall into place.

Supporting this club is never dull that is for sure.

Saw it tonight, agreed with it all. That said I know we are moving in the right drection, our ceiling is a lot higher than those around us. Things will fall into place.

Supporting this club is never dull that is for sure.

Moving sideways backwards and sideways again?

We've the talent and no system. Bailey doesn't seem to have one.

Was going to start a similar thread I also caught pickers brutally honest opinion and I agree it's not the fact we loose it's how we loose and non competitive we are at times. Good to hear some honest opinions

Guest Artie Bucco

Moving sideways backwards and sideways again?

We've the talent and no system. Bailey doesn't seem to have one.

That's just pure ignorance.

It's been covered on this forum so many times - just because you are unable to recognise a system, doesn't mean we don't have one.

It's hard to recognise any system when it breaks down.

Instead, first look at who is not playing and analyse why not.

Then take a look at each player that is playing, and think about where they are at.

Then look at the team as a whole.

It's really quite obvious, it just take a bit of thought.

In terms of Pickering's comments, who was he talking about in relation to "other young teams" having a go every week?

I'd be keen to know too.

Just heard Pickering on afl teams call us front runners and apologist...........maybe he's right. Said we gotta have a good hard look at ourselves. Other team's as young having a go EACH week.

Shaw said DO don't say.

Mclure on 360 said, system ova talent (not a criticism of us directly). we were one of the bottom 4 clubs.

Not great hearing these comments, but sometimes the truth really hurts, unfortunately these shows are repeated again, you can look and listen if you want.

I stand to b corrected,but i'm pretty close to the mark on what was said on these shows, memory a bit soggy from ocean.

We spanked Gold Coast and Adelaide. We beat Brisbane. Other 'young' teams have had spankings by Collingwood (ie. Richmond and North). etc.

I trust Pickering would utter the same "scathing" comments about lower teams like North Melb. Oh no, of course he needs to protect a conflict of interest. Getting fussed by these commentaries is like getting teary over Neighbours.

Just heard Pickering on afl teams ...

Who cares what Prickering or any other commentator says?

They prattle on and on about anything and everything to fill up air space. It means nothing.

They could call Jimmy an arsonist, Schwab an axe murderer and the MFC a front for al Qaeda and half the posters here would immediately fall into a dead faint.

In terms of Pickering's comments, who was he talking about in relation to "other young teams" having a go every week?

Richmond and GC for a start .

Who cares what Prickering or any other commentator says?

They prattle on and on about anything and everything to fill up air space. It means nothing.

They could call Jimmy an arsonist, Schwab an axe murderer and the MFC a front for al Qaeda and half the posters here would immediately fall into a dead faint.

No. it's more as MFC supporters we are tired of being called weak, gutless & irrelevant by many supporters and Media outlets sporadically for over 4 decades.

It hurts a lot when deep down you know they are right.

I heard McClure on 774 in the car coming home from Mondays game make some full on comments about the MFC performance, and i had to admit he was right.

Dermott had a go at Morton during his call on Monday. He was right.

It does hurt.

Richmond and GC for a start .

Ha - would love it if that's true.

I suppose he would ignore Gold Coast's 8 losses at an average of 77.5 points. They really gave it a crack when they had 15 goals kicked on them in a record breaking 1st quarter against the Bombers... The last two weeks we've had a younger team in terms of games played than GC. They fought back against West Coast and were pounded by the powerhouse North Melbourne at home. We beat Essendon and had a shocker against the reigning premiers.

Richmond have been talked up no end. They've beaten North in a close one, Brisbane (who we beat), Freo after their bye and the Bombers. They were obliterated by the Pies and smashed by the Hawks (sounds familiar, hey). Richmond have also lost to Port Adelaide and a Bulldogs side seemingly in a world of pain.

Obviously we haven't had an ideal season but I score it at 3 good wins, 4 bad losses, 1 average win, 1 average loss, 1 well fought draw and a fought out loss.

In terms of our age and players lost through injuries, I think that's about to be expected - in terms of player output anyway.

No. it's more as MFC supporters we are tired of being called weak, gutless & irrelevant by many supporters and Media outlets sporadically for over 4 decades.

It hurts a lot when deep down you know they are right.

I don't think they are.

Guest Thomo

That's just pure ignorance.

It's been covered on this forum so many times - just because you are unable to recognise a system, doesn't mean we don't have one.

It's hard to recognise any system when it breaks down.

Instead, first look at who is not playing and analyse why not.

Then take a look at each player that is playing, and think about where they are at.

Then look at the team as a whole.

It's really quite obvious, it just take a bit of thought.

Predictable condescending response.

What bit of thought explains the kick it to Jamar 60 metres out to the right, even if he is not actually playing, that is employed 90% of the times from a kickout? What thought explains having Melbourne’s most attacking player start as a tagger against Carlton? What thought explains Rivers on Cloke for half a match rather than Frawley? What thought explains that the only two games that Melbourne has really looked switched on this year were after a week of external motivation?

Opinions are fine, but I find yours unbelievably one tracked.

firstly who cares

secondly where was his comment last week and where will it be this week when we get up again

we're on a rollercoaster right now there is no use crying about it

just continue supporting or you show yourselves to be as weak and temperamental as that which you criticise

Guest Artie Bucco

Predictable condescending response.

What bit of thought explains the kick it to Jamar 60 metres out to the right, even if he is not actually playing, that is employed 90% of the times from a kickout? What thought explains having Melbourne’s most attacking player start as a tagger against Carlton? What thought explains Rivers on Cloke for half a match rather than Frawley? What thought explains that the only two games that Melbourne has really looked switched on this year were after a week of external motivation?

Opinions are fine, but I find yours unbelievably one tracked.

You mean, they're one tracked because they are correct?

I'd agree with that.

I wonder, what would Paul Roos do with kickouts in a similar circumstance?

Maybe he wrote an article on it in the Herald Sun? One where he said to beat the press it was best to kick long along the boundary to tall targets, and if the ball spills, try to force the ball out of bounds? A tactic actually used by a lot of teams?

One that usually works for other teams will multiple quality tall targets?

If you can't take a mark, at least you force the ball out for a throw-in 60m out on the boundary where you are in a less dangerous position.

It's much easier to defend from here if the opposition wins the stoppage, and if you win it, there is room to go backwards and switch.

You're not stuck deep in the pocket where the press can strangle you.

Chipping around short kicks, Hawthorn has done of late, is good and well, but not from a kick-in.

The opposition has too much opportunity to push up and apply intense pressure.

It should be easier when Jamar returns, because Watts has stepped up to be a legitimate tall target on the opposite flank.

Martin's development and Howe will help here too.

Honestly - tell me what your alternative solution for the kick-ins would be, if not that?

Edited by Artie Bucco

I'd agree with that.

Maybe he wrote an article on it in the Herald Sun? One where he said to beat the press it was best to kick long along the boundary to tall targets, and if the ball spills, try to force the ball out of bounds? A tactic actually used by a lot of teams?

If you can't take a mark, at least you force the ball out for a throw-in 60m out on the boundary where you are in a less dangerous position.

It's much easier to defend from here if the opposition wins the stoppage, and if you win it, there is room to go backwards and switch.

Chipping around short kicks, Hawthorn has done of late, is good and well, but not from a kick-in.

It should be easier when Jamar returns, because Watts has stepped up to be a legitimate tall target on the opposite flank.

Honestly - tell me what your alternative solution for the kick-ins would be, if not that?

I have to agree there Artie....Short kick ins are complete suicidal most of the time. Unless your talls are injured.

But who would want the kickers job???? Sleepless nights. Bring back Danny Hughes, he could Roost a kick to the centre!! Stuff the Press!!!

Guest Artie Bucco

Tapscott, Strauss and Frawley can share the duties.

Once we have some reliable tall targets to kick to, things will open up for us in this regard.

They'll need to be covered, which will open up holes.

Otherwise they'll just take easy marks and it'll still work just fine.

Trying to get by with Bate, Dunn, Gawn (needs time) as our tall targets is tough work...

If our talks are injured, there's still no decent alternative.

You just need to go long and keep it close to the boundary to force the throw-in.

Tapscott, Strauss and Frawley can share the duties.

Once we have some reliable tall targets to kick to, things will open up for us in this regard.

They'll need to be covered, which will open up holes.

Otherwise they'll just take easy marks and it'll still work just fine.

Trying to get by with Bate, Dunn, Gawn (needs time) as our tall targets is tough work...

If our talks are injured, there's still no decent alternative.

You just need to go long and keep it close to the boundary to force the throw-in.

which is why right now we often kick out on the full.....it does test the patience, but i know what they are trying to do.

Guest Thomo

I'd agree with that.

I agree that it can be a good tactic, but it seems to be the only tactic.

It seems so far this season the opposition is set up for this play before Melbourne are, because it is employed for what seems to be 90 per cent of kick ins. It is almost always to the right hand side. How about they mix it up? Move into position, then use Watts speed to move to the middle or across to the other side and kick there. Or try and get Sylvia or Morton one out one the left hand side and kick there. Try to get the on ballers to rush forward to create options or clear out of the back fifty to make space to run. And then when no other option, go long right to the ruckman and hope for a 50/50

One constant play cannot work. If the other team know we have 3 or 4 set plays, they can't stack the right hand side.

The problem is there is one tactic, and it is clearly not working because it is so predictable. Melbourne are really struggling to clear the ball from defence, and they are persisting with a plan that is obvious to the opposition. I don't see how using a predictable tactic that turns possession into a 50/50 contest is smart coaching.

Edited by Thomo

88 point loss with three goal scorers. Probably what it looked like to Pickering I guess.

Shaw said DO don't say.

Who are these other teams as young? Gold Coast?