The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Striker475

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That two or three efforts by Nathan Jones in the pocket.

That was beautiful to watch, sitting as I was between 2 fanatical Bombers friends. Just gotta love that Jones boy's efforts when the pill is in his sights and he wants it more than anyone else.

The Bad

James Strauss. I seem to be one out here, but I can count the number of good things he did on one hand. Almost always lost his one-on-ones (the Jetta debacle springs to mind) and kicked it out on the full at least two or three times

Yep. Really battling at AFL level at the moment and seems to lack confidence and enthusiasm. Does anyone know, has he always been a defender? Because some players just have characters that aren't suited to it. I'm thinking maybe he was a gun midfielder as a junior and is being used as a defender 'cause he doesn't have the tank yet or legspeed? All speculation here.

Strauss beat Zaharakis and gathered 20 possessions himself. Considering his two 2010 games that's a massive step forward.

The Good

Nicholson and Howe's debuts

Stefan Martin's single-handed demolition of the Essendon triple ruck threat

Brad Green's return to form and (not coincidentally) the forward-line

Jared Rivers record-breaking number of back-line marks

Lots more

The Bad

James Strauss. I seem to be one out here, but I can count the number of good things he did on one hand. Almost always lost his one-on-ones (the Jetta debacle springs to mind) and kicked it out on the full at least two or three times

The mini Essendon comeback in the final quarter

The Ugly

Max Gawn's kicking for goal

Liam "cherry-picker" Jurrah's first-half avoidance of the hard ball

are you f**king retarded? the jetta debacle was caused by jetta's kick?

i thought in one on one contests he was very good. the only time he was genuinely outmarked was against crameri in the final term but a 6'4 90 kilo on a 6'2 82 kilo is a poor matchup from however left him open. Personally I think you're an idiot.

Jurrah wasn't bad at all. Had a quiet first quarter but his tackling and pressure were 100 times better and as a result he got on the end of some important goals.

Morton was a liability early but once he stopped trying to do his fancy little fluff kicks he played some career best football.

I like Howe a lot, he has a football brain not just X-Factor.

The Good

The newbies : Howe, Gawn, Nicho, Evans, Strauss (yes he made a few mistakes but he earned his place and was excellent on occasion)

Green's captain's speech before 3rd quarter when all the players were in a circle.

Green's captain's goal in the last quarter

Jones 3rd and 4th efforts in the back pocket

Jurrah beginning to tackle

Jordie McKenzie

Stef Martin

Our future midfield on display together

Our backline : special mention to Rivers

Bennell, Morton courage running back into packs

Beaner's goal

Watts' aerobic capacity burning off his opponents time and time again.

How I feel this morning....

The bad

Not enough TV footage of Hird after the loss.

Gawn's miss - did you see the look of total unbelief on his face? - priceless!

Not enough TV footage of Hird after the loss.

Jurrah sometimes deciding not to go for the ball

Did I mention Not enough TV footage of Hird after the loss?

The Ugly

Hird's face when he knew the camera was on him and he knew they had lost.

The good

1. Rivers – probably saved three goals alone on the night with spoils

2. Beamer – leadership personified when the Dons got close

3. The shepherd of Howe in the 3rd, those one percenters have been absent from this club for a while. Well done rookie.

4. A kick out set up that actually worked occasionally!!!!

5. The defensive workrate

6. The structure last night, Gawn and Howe made the Essendon backmen think defence first and cut their run down

7. Scully

8. Trenners

9. Strauss playing like a 100 game veteran (I did not know he had it in him)

The bad

1. Not sure how much the fatigue of the Dons contributed

The ugly

1. Dons fans turning on Hird and players like Hille - hmm

GOOD:

The Emotion shown by players and coach

Jordie (Good doesn't reallly cut it)

Beamers goal mid way through 3rd. Awsome team stuff. If that didn't pump you up and get you exited, then you must be dead.

No Ugly or Bad because I am still buzzing with too much love for my team.

GOOD:

Average age of 22 years and 6 months (just checked Gold Coast from last week and they had an average age of 22 years 5 months), and being the better team all night despite injuries to key personnel

Morton putting his body on the line and his dangerous and effective use of the ball, expect that week in week out from him now

No weak link, only Jurrah and Frawley could say they didnt have a good game, but still did a role

BAD:

Sylvia's corky, but could almost go in the good, as he wont miss next week you would think, and the youngsters meanaged to stand up and take the slack and get the win without arguably our best midfielder

UGLY:

Nothing

Jurrah early - come on Liam, get physical. The forward line probably needs an enforcer to go with Green, Watts, Howe, Jetta and co. Dunn could be this man if he got back in 2010 form and I'd love it to be Sylvia if he could be played in his best position.

Oh dear God. We've just won a great game, and within 13 hours someone has suggested that the team could be improved with Dunn.

Jurrah wasn't bad at all. Had a quiet first quarter but his tackling and pressure were 100 times better and as a result he got on the end of some important goals.

Can't agree. He still doesn't go hard enough for the ball when it's there to be won. There was a passage of play in the third, when the team was up and running, where Jones kept the ball in play, but it fell near Jurrah's feet. He limply bent over to pick it up, letting an Essendon player dive on it and snatch it away.

It's not necessarily his job, nor forte, to go hard for the contested ball, and if we had a bigger forward line he wouldn't be playing the FF role. But he still needs to work harder, chase harder, and look more enthusiastic.

THE BAD

First two quarters

I thought the first half was pretty scrappy and whilst we kept with them we were lucky to not be further behind at half time.

I took notes on the first two quarters of what I didn't like

Handball. Overdone (esp in the back half), too many risky, to flat-footed receivers, too short. Caused too many turnovers when press was on. Hard running with short passing was more effective to beat the press.

Blocking/Shepherding. not nearly enough

Kicking. poor

Attack at ball. a few not getting body behind or head over ball in scrimmages

Happy to say all these facets improved in second half, so whatever the players were told at half time it worked

I am only going to focus on the good as well

- The efforts from the following young players: Gysberts, McKenzie, Trengove, Scully (wow!), Watts, Howe, Gawn, Strauss - some better than others, but impressed by all of these players in one way or another

- Rivers: what an effort tonight, and our backline in general. Keeping Essendon scoreless and no marks in their forward 50 in 3rd team was brilliant. With Grimes and Garland to return, I like the backline

- Watts outmarking his one-on-one opponent and goal, his hanger, and his decision marking/disposal efficiency

- Beamer and Jones passion. Jones cops way to much flak on this site, he may not be the best player going around but his passion and spirit are next to none.

- Morton's game and courage going with flight of ball

- Jetta done some nice things

- Baileys passion

-Green - great captains game

Plenty more too. The scenes in the rooms afterwards were brilliant. Now the key is consistency.

are you f**king retarded? the jetta debacle was caused by jetta's kick?

i thought in one on one contests he was very good. the only time he was genuinely outmarked was against crameri in the final term but a 6'4 90 kilo on a 6'2 82 kilo is a poor matchup from however left him open. Personally I think you're an idiot.

Actually, I was thinking about Patty Ryder. Ryder was all alone inside 50, somehow inexplicably drops a chest-mark. Strauss picks up the ball and tries to take him on. Gets caught holding the ball and costs us a goal. That's certainly not the only time he did something poor. In a win, most players are going to do something you like, but for me, James Strauss is not a defender and should be put in another position.

Good: The best-players list in this morning's Age: Gysberts, McKenzie, Trengrove, Scully. The first of countless times over the next 10-12 years that we'll be seeing those names, whatever their order, as best for Melbourne in next day's paper.

Edited by Akum

Actually, I was thinking about Patty Ryder. Ryder was all alone inside 50, somehow inexplicably drops a chest-mark. Strauss picks up the ball and tries to take him on. Gets caught holding the ball and costs us a goal. That's certainly not the only time he did something poor. In a win, most players are going to do something you like, but for me, James Strauss is not a defender and should be put in another position.

Well, he was tackled. Calling it holding the ball is something only an umpire would do. Considering the number of calls they failed to make when we tackled Essendon players I thought it was absolutely farcical to call Strauss on that one. Consistency anyone?

A soft-as-melted-butter free. Remember "he was trying to get rid of it, that's all he has to do"? One rule for some ...

Not a good example, he was the only one who busted a nut to get down there, was the only Melbourne player within 60m, and did well to collect the ball. And the holding the ball decision was probably a bit harsh.

A soft-as-melted-butter free. Remember "he was trying to get rid of it, that's all he has to do"? One rule for some ...

Incorrect decision by the umpire.

Essendon supporters are easily the most trigger happy when it comes to shouting "ball" (Melbourne supporters aren't far behind), but this time the umpire got caught up in it all and thought the crowd were there to see him.