Favourite Melbourne Player.

Guest Gotzy15

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

current: Col Syliva cuz if every player plays up to their ability he's the best =. Also Liam Jurrah If he plays 10 years he could be our best ever player.

Past: Jeff Farmer based on 2000 and when ke kicked 9 goals Vs Collingwood in the second half after coming off the bench after Ben Beams broke his arm... David Neitz a true leader that when the chips were down would life the team by smashing someone and when your teams [censored] a big bump is sometimes the next best thing than a win.

1. Right now, I like Trengove more and more each time I see him. I like watching him move around the ground more than any other player right now. Classy. I think we'll enjoy him. Others of interest in no particular order are: Jurrah, Sylvia, Grimes. I liked Watts last week. I'm looking forward to see much more of Cook.

2. I got a real kick out of watching Flower play. At the footy I used to just marvel at how he moved so effortlessly. I'd mimmick him at home in the back yard, out on the street. Blind turns, pick ups with one hand, practicing left foot snaps. Getting home early from school for the state-of-origin games was a must. We didn't have many Melbourne players in the state team back then. Flower was it (maybe B.Wilson too IIRC) and he was captain.

1. Jack Trengove. Talented player and you can tell that when he makes a mistake he gives his all to rectify it. He's not the quickest but he doesn't give up a chase, even when it is obvious he cannot catch the bloke with the pill. If some other players had his heart (as a 19 year old) we'd be a much better side.

2. David Neitz. Just seemed to manage to spark the side at crucial times with a big bump or a captains goal. I've missed having his type in the side greatly.

Guest milpod

now: Jack Trengove so easily.Why:have you watched him?

then:Robert Flower.Why:not because he was the best,but he eased the pain.

Guest milpod

Now

1. Jones

2. J. Trengove

3. Jurrah

4. J.Bennell

5. Jetta

Past

1. Jakovich

2. J.Farmer

3. Schwarz

4. B.lovett

5. Tingay

The crop of the early 90's was super exciting

I know your not robby crusoe but didn't op say "player" as in non plural, as in single, as in one each?

Current:

Brent Moloney - Courageous, strong-bodied, hard-nosed on-baller, passionate about the jumper and, for the most part, leads by example. Would jump on a grenade for his teammates. Not enough players on the list with his passion IMO.

Notable mentions to:

Aussie- love his enthusiastic spirit and energy, when he's on, the brand of footy he plays makes me smile;

Jurrah- just so damn talented!;

Ricky P- Courage, courage, courage!

Gysberts- because i think he will be in the select few "elite" midfielders in the league once his body matures, possibly even the best of our current crop, Scully/Trengove included. A "pure" footballer.

Past:

Russell Robertson (pre-2007 achilles injury only. After returning from that he took "lazy forward" to a whole new level.)

Special mention:

Jim Stynes & Stephen Febey, who came and ran a clinic at my school in 1991 when i was 6 or 7, and they were my heroes from then on until my early-teens.

Edited by Doggo

I'm shocked at the number of times Yze gets a mention.

Each to their own indeed.

Classic case of a player whose last couple of (poor) years took a lot of the gloss off of what was an amazing career. Led the league for kicks on a few occassions, a prolific ball winner who kicked goals, was a good mark for his height and had a lazer left boot. Did the flashy things and brought fans thru the gates. Not one of my personal favourites, but i can see why people would've chose him.

Surprised to not see any mentions of TJ or Woewodin. Before they were traded, there were more #16 and #22 jumpers in the outer than any others IIRC.

Really difficult question, but I like it.

Of current players special mention to Trengove, Chip & Jurrah but I have to go with the guy who's number I have on my jumper, Jarred Rivers! Back in 2004 looked like he was going to be anything but hasn't developed as we would have all hoped due to injuries. However he still reads the play as good as anyone in our back line and never backs away from a contest. Is hard as anything and that's why I still love him despite some of his short comings.

Of past players special mention to Woewodin, Farmer & Ricky Jackson (first player who's number I had on my back. Don't remember much about him apart from yelling his name out as a 6 year old!) But I have to go with Garry Lyon. Growing up Garry was Melbourne, could play up forward, down back and even went into the midfield when needed, the man had red & blue blood flowing through his veins. Also still the only Melbourne player I've seen kick 10 goals in a match when I went to the 94' semi fianl vs Footscray.

Current: Rohan Bail or Colin Garland

Past: Nathan "Doggy" Brown (remember Queen's Birthday a number of years ago when he was knocked out by Nathan Buckley?)

and just for a laugh

Current: Michael "Juice" Newton

Past: Scott Chisolm (he gets an absolute ribbing by my Dee supporting mates haha)

Certainly not towards the end of his career, but at his peak he was brilliant to watch.

it's whinging MFCSS cry babies again

Yze was 3rd in the brownlow one year cos was a complete gun who regularly lead the cometition in kicks

even in his twilight years up forward he often kicked bags and put on some miracle highlights

i feel so sorry for some of our supporters

Yze was 3rd in the brownlow one year cos was a complete gun who regularly lead the cometition in kicks

even in his twilight years up forward he often kicked bags and put on some miracle highlights

It is an opinion. Who whinged or cried other than you?

MFCSS? Plain d!ckhead works just as well for you as that stupid term has no relevance here.

I take it Yze was a favourite? How lovely.

Adem Yze was a very gifted Footballer who played some great games for the MFC. But he also went missing on many occasions when the team really needed him to fire in crucial games.

I too am suprised at the amount of mentions he has so far recieved as the number one fave player. I rated James McDonald a lot higher than the OOOze, but that to is my opinion.

Joe Rugolo: What can i say that hasn't already been said about Frank...i mean...Joe ~ahem :rolleyes:

Andy Goodwin: For the best laugh (reserves match pre game... "shoe laces saga") i ever had. Bro too! : :lol:

Now: Jurrah. What a freak.

Then: The Wizz. His intensity and desire to win was amazing - I wish some of our current players had his attributes... Remember the 9 goals in a half? He was telling Robbo to get the hell out of his space and jumping all over him. :blink:

Also Tingay was such a champ... Just so reliable and always seemed to do the right thing.