Changes for next week

Eth

If Maric had 11 possessions and a return of 1,3 would your argument be the same? Maric never got the luxury of two games. He deserves a shot for the same reasons as you argued Aussie deserved one last week. BOG with with 30 odd possessions and three goals laid a number of tackles and was everywhere.

Re Watts I have been a Watts supporter but after this weeks effort it is getting hard to justify him staying in.

It's not all about stats mate. Wona was a million times better today than Maric has been the previous two weeks. I do like Maric when luck goes his way but he won't be taking Wona's place that's a certainty.

People get too caught up in stats, if you were at the game today you would notice that when we were struggling it was due to no movement away from the ball, Aussie provided this in the forward line while others were standing flat footed in the square.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not all about stats mate. Wona was a million times better today than Maric has been the previous two weeks. I do like Maric when luck goes his way but he won't be taking Wona's place that's a certainty.

People get too caught up in stats, if you were at the game today you would notice that when we were struggling it was due to no movement away from the ball, Aussie provided this in the forward line while others were standing flat footed in the square.

I agree that stats aren't everything and alot of important stuff happens off the ball, no argument there. I also agree that Aussie has shown more than Maric not just today, not just over the last few weeks but since he has been at the club, but the arguments for promotion or demotion have to be consistant for all and at times I think that they aren't. And I am not suggesting that Maric replace Aussie as I think there is room for both.

Last year Maric one game and then back to the seconds

This year one game then one qtr the the seconds

Jetta 2 games, one good one not so good back to the seconds.

The two best performers of the preseason no opportunity for redemption

Pettard sub and game saver in one game then average in his first full game straight back to the seconds

Watts, Bennell, Dunn ?????

Newton. What does he have to do to get a go?

I agree that stats aren't everything and alot of important stuff happens off the ball, no argument there. I also agree that Aussie has shown more than Maric not just today, not just over the last few weeks but since he has been at the club, but the arguments for promotion or demotion have to be consistant for all and at times I think that they aren't. And I am not suggesting that Maric replace Aussie as I think there is room for both.

Pettard sub and game saver in one game then average in his first full game straight back to the seconds

Totally agree then that Maric should get a go next week, just didn't think he'll come in for Aussie.

Bailey does say alot that he picks teams for the opposition so maybe some of those guys that missed out were victims of that? Not that it worked great today...

As for Newton, can't answer other than he may have to get Jamar, Watts, Martin, Spencer, and Jurrah all in a car and cut the brakes...

Maric has been stiff, I'd prefer Wona as the sub as he can't run out a full game.

If Watts somehow stays i would love to see him have a run at chb or on the back flank. Think he would learn a lot and would be great for his development. Even last week it would have been good for him to have a run on buddy!

I think there are only two reasons to drop Watts at the moment. One is to give him some confidence, and the other is to punish him (euphemistically, to 'teach him a lesson'). Given we're playing Gold Coast next week, I'd say that rules out the former.

The only change I'd consider is Petterd for Morton. Other than that, no one is really knocking on the door at Casey, like Gysberts and Wonaeamirri did.

Tallies of 3, 5 and 8 goals* isn't knocking on the door?

You might argue against playing Newton, but to suggest he isn't 'knocking on the door [...] like Gysberts and Wonaeamirri did' seems obviously wrong (unless you're suggesting Newton is knocking harder than they did).

*In addition to being named by the Coach as Casey's best player last week, giving off goals, etc

I'd like to see Rick Petterd back. Jamie Bennell is one that needs to get some more damn urgency in his game, he has talent but is lucky to keep surviving.

Dunn was pretty ordinary today and would do well to stop worrying about giving it to opponents and more concern with getting a kick. Deserves another chance or two yet.

Perhaps Morton might be interchanged with Watts as a sub this week but I'd like to see Watts play a full one. A run at Casey could await if he can't have some decent influence against GC so hopefully he gets that chance.

No change, Morton to start with either Dunn or Bennell as the sub would be my call.

Watts out for Petterd. Speaks for itself really, not sure how any one could justify Watts getting a game.

... or how anyone could justify including Petterd who had a less than impressive game in the two's.

Whatever happened to "make them earn their spot"?

Newton for Watts for me. Jack seems to be going backwards at the moment, and needs to build a bit of confidence in the two's. Only hiccup in that scenario, is that both Casey and Melb. have the following week off, so if he's out next week, he'd probably be out for at least 3 weeks. Hmm.

Edited by bing181

I'd like to see Rick Petterd back.

Yeah, that's the only change I'd like to see. Although he didn't play that great for Casey, he had no real reason to be dropped.

Watts for Petterd, so Watts can...quote Brisbane supporter in front of me today, 'Pull your finger out.'

Watts out.

Maric In.

Has no impact on the game. 6 possessions in nearly three quarters of football is not enough, especially when he had the third or fourth best defender. He seems to be an athlete who is not a footballer at the moment. I hear that other players are ignoring his leads, maybe he is not getting to the right spot. He needs to go back to Casey and learn the game, struggling at the top level cannot be doing him any good. In the past few weeks the the player who is struggling has been subbed then dropped the next week. This week it should be him.

The only way I would keep Watts in is to play him off the half back line to give him an education, but after the last few weeks that would be different rules for Watts and the rest of the playing group.

I still think he can be a good player, but like everyone else he needs to learn the game before playing at the top level.

Maric In,

I thought he was not given enough time to prove himself. Great preseason, then one bad game (hard to judge a quarter against Hawthorne when getting killed). Whet back to Casey with the right attitude, so should be rewarded.

This change would be a tall for a small, but aside from one good mark, Watts has not played as a tall target. With Dunn, Jurrah and Martin/Jamar, the forward line will be tall enough against the Suns. Give Maric a full game to see how he goes.

Watts would have had more possessions if players had have noticed his leads. I think, Watts would be better of at Casey because he'd have better game plan and structure to play with. Our forwardline and ball movement by senior players is embarrassing. Does anyone expect a forward player to mark the ball if it is aimed at their feet.

I like Watts and want him to succeed. I know yesterday he kept leading into good spots going into the forward line and they didn't kick him the ball, but sometimes when he was up the ground he was calling for the ball when he was in a worse position than the guy that had it. This takes valuable decision making time away from the ball carrier.

What I think is happening here to some extent is he's getting frustrated at not getting the ball so he just starts calling for it when it's not required. What I would do this week and for a long time really, is just leave him in the forward 50 and tell him to keep making good leads from deep and things will improve. Things will get better and that contested mark last week should have done him the world of good. We have enough players to play high half forward, just leave him deep to kick to and the crumbs will drop to the little fellas

Disagree. Treating him as an "untouchable" sends the wrong message to the playing group.

I have this suspicion that is exactly why other players ignore his leads

He deserves to be dropped but he wont be. He ran around in circles yesterday and was subbed because he was completely ineffectual. He needs to harden up and go in IMO but he wont learn that at Casey

Guest Deefence

Juice got reported. Does this impact on him being able to play in the AFL? No changes for me, but wouldn't be upset to see Pencil or Howe get a run... :)

I have this suspicion that is exactly why other players ignore his leads

He deserves to be dropped but he wont be. He ran around in circles yesterday and was subbed because he was completely ineffectual. He needs to harden up and go in IMO but he wont learn that at Casey

A couple of posters have suggested that his (Watts) leads are being ignored. More likely this is him leading to the wrong spots, or mistiming his runs. Forwards do this when they are either out of form, lacking confidence or simply can't read the play. The other possibility, which none of us want to contemplate, is that the player in question doesn't want to lead to areas where heavy body contact might occur. We can only hope this isn't the case.

Edited by Range Rover

A couple of posters have suggested that his (Watts) leads are being ignored. More likely this is him leading to the wrong spots, or mistiming his runs. Forwards do this when they are either out of form, lacking confidence or simply can't read the play. The other possibility, which none of us want to contemplate, is that the player in question doesn't want to lead to areas where heavy body contact might occur. We can only hope this isn't the case.

We have a real problem in our team, our players are ignoring good leads by Watts.

Bailey should ask why this is happening.

Look back on this site to see this has been a theme. Its clear our players are not kicking the ball to him.

Yesterday Danny Frawley put one in the book for his coach killers.

We went to the top of the 50 to Jurrah surrounded by 4 players whilst Watts had led to a vacant spot closer to goal.

Ball rebounded back for Brisbane.

On TV it looked absolutely rediculous as Watts was clear in perfect position. Dumb choices by our team.

As for avoiding contact isn't that the ideal for a forward to get loose and take an easy mark.

If our players dont like Watts someone has to tell them to get over it.

Whilst on form he should be an out I'd keep him for GC with a direction to players to target him.

Dunn must be also at risk just for the number of frees he gave away with high tackles.

Will someone protect Davey?

Its clear the umpires wont.

Yesterday was digraceful, the umpires just ignored the heavy treatment he got off the ball.

We needed some on to run through the tag to help release him.

Does anyone know Geeshan's email so I can let him know my thoughts.

No it's not. It is a case that players up the ground are way too slow at reactingand would rather go to a contested marking option. One example was green who passed Steff Martin who was playing behind his opponent and Watts had a break on his player. The end result was the ball was cleared.

I'd say Watts is better of leading until he builds more strength - but our players ability to see past the moment is worrying.

As bad as Watts was today, I can't help but feel he'd be a more advanced player if he was at another club.

Watts has to play this week IMO. Yeah, he only had 6 possessions, but if his "teammates" had've honoured at least half of his leads, he would have had 20+. I don't know what it is with Jack, he presents bloody well, but seems to lack support from a few in the team. Nb. I have only watched the games this year on TV, but will be at the Gabba on Sunday so I hope I get to see how he positions himself. Even the commentators made mention of it at half time yesterday.

Against a poor side, I think Watts will have a big game. If he struggles, then we have the bye the following week where he can go back to Casey for the week.

No change for mine.

Players on the cusp are Petterd, Joel Mac, Maric and Juice. Players on thin ice are Bennell, Watts and Dunn. Morton also looked underdone. And Moloney is a chance to be suspended.

If Beamer is suspended, I would promote Joel Mac and move Grimes into the guts for the whole game. Could also swap Bennell (who I think gets as much of an armchair ride as Watts but is less important long term) for Maric - but would be relaxed either way. I would prefer to see Watts retained as I'm keen to see how he plays with some decent ball coming to him. And I thought he did plenty right yesterday without being honoured often enough by his teammates. Wouldn't be too concerned about the other two spots, any of Morton, Dunn, Petterd or Juice could play next week.

I thought Aussie added heaps to the forward line today - we look a lot more likely to lock the ball in there when he's playing. If everyone had his endeavour over four quarters we'd play finals.

Edited by Deemolition

I have to agree. This praising of Watts and justification for selection because he is "leading to the right spots" is ridiculous and slightly embarrassing. The fact is he only touched the ball 6 times and he was playing mostly on the ball. He isnt having an impact on games (one contested mark last week is all i can think of) that any other player, like Petterd, could have if they were playing instead. I understand he gets unfairly critisised sometimes but there are obvious double standards about his performances here at the moment.

If he cant have an impact against the Gold Coast kids its time for him to have a run at Casey.

If Maric had 11 possessions and a return of 1,3 would your argument be the same? Maric never got the luxury of two games. He deserves a shot for the same reasons as you argued Aussie deserved one last week. BOG with with 30 odd possessions and three goals laid a number of tackles and was everywhere.

NFI.

I think there are only two reasons to drop Watts at the moment. One is to give him some confidence, and the other is to punish him (euphemistically, to 'teach him a lesson'). Given we're playing Gold Coast next week, I'd say that rules out the former.

Tallies of 3, 5 and 8 goals* isn't knocking on the door?

You might argue against playing Newton, but to suggest he isn't 'knocking on the door [...] like Gysberts and Wonaeamirri did' seems obviously wrong (unless you're suggesting Newton is knocking harder than they did).

*In addition to being named by the Coach as Casey's best player last week, giving off goals, etc

I think it's clear I don't want to see Newton back in the side. Granted, he has been knocking on the door, so credit where it's due, but I just do not see the point in going back to a player who has had his repeated chances, most of which have come after similarly good Casey form, and not progressed at AFL level.

As for Watts, I still think we're better off playing him than not. But that's not to say if he doesn't show improvement that he shouldn't be dropped. If he can't get more into the game against the Suns he might not be around for the trip to Perth.

I agree with some of your thoughts.

I think Morton came in without a hitout @ Casey, and needs both matchfitness and to find touch and Form, Vision. He doesn't need to play in Qld, then miss a game with the bye...... send him back to casey for the next 2 Weeks.... >>> Petterd back in.

Dunn has gone blunt, it seems is taking things a bit casually. IMO needs a rest... >>>. Bring in the Juice to play high. Play Martin deep. and rotate the 2, when appropriate with Jamar rests.

Bennell, hmmmn,,, he doesn't deserve the Jumper at the moment... >>>. Maric didn't get enough of a crack, this could be the key game for him to fly.

I wouldn't unsettle the side anymore than this.... Watts must perform some Gabba tricks, or he should go back to the local carnivaal next week....